D23 Expo 2015

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Nope JJ Abrams has been given a lot more freedom then I thought. Some photos were released earlier this week but we already have seen the same characters from the same trailer. Nothing official yet at least until maybe just maybe November. If they continue keeping this move secret, I don't think it will be a huge commercial hit. It's becoming a joke. I remember knowing all bout the Revenge of the Sith before it came out.

Said no one ever about Star Wars. ;)

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I agree sequels are good when the content is there. But I do take issue with Pixar's very sequel heavy future and them not showing anything original beyond good dinosaur. I hope that Dia de los muertos film get's announced.
This year we are getting 2 new IP properties from Pixar.
IMO, the benefit of the sequel is that they don't have to spend the time introducing the concept or the characters, they can focus on story.
The benefit so far from Pixar is that they've (mostly) given really solid stories in their sequels. As long as they continue to do that, I don't care if it's Toy Story 18. Plus, I loved Inside Out so much that Pixar is playing with the house's money for a while for me.

Sam Magic

Okay...so what was up with the big new film announcement supposed to made? I swear to God if it's another damn squeal...looking at that Pixar list makes me want to cry, Pixar was big BECAUSE they were original. Toy Story 4 is completely unnecessary.

Sped2424

One song a musical does not make. The whole score ranks quite unfavorably compared to the 90's musicals.
That's funny cause last I checked there were millions of covers of Do you want to build a snowman, Love is an open door, and for the first time in forever. And trust me crowds go nuts during the fireworks and the fantasmic pre show whenever one of those three plays. I will give you that many people don't like fixer upper, but those other three songs are just as classic at this point as many of the other disney songs. Whether you want to admit that or not.

Sam Magic

That's funny cause last I checked there were millions of covers of DO you want to build a snowman, Love is an open door, and for the first time in forever. I will give you that many people don't like fixer upper, but those other three songs are just as classic at this point as many of the other disney songs. Whether you want to admit that or not.
Just because there are TONS of covers does not mean it's better than older songs (which have many covers too). The Frozen ones are only big because of the day and age we live in. Social Media is the real reason Frozen was bigger than anything before...not because it was better per-say.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I agree sequels are good when the content is there. But I do take issue with Pixar's very sequel heavy future and them not showing anything original beyond good dinosaur. I hope that Dia de los muertos film get's announced.

There are 21 Pixar films either released or announced and only 8 are sequels. That's pretty good considering how risk-averse movie studios tend to be.

Sped2424

This year we are getting 2 new IP properties from Pixar.
IMO, the benefit of the sequel is that they don't have to spend the time introducing the concept or the characters, they can focus on story.
The benefit so far from Pixar is that they've (mostly) given really solid stories in their sequels. As long as they continue to do that, I don't care if it's Toy Story 18. Plus, I loved Inside Out so much that Pixar is playing with the house's money for a while for me.
Is that why cars 2 was so story driven? I am just saying a sequel here and there is fine, but nothing but sequels for the next 4 years makes the special studio that is pixar loose a bit of the magic that made it a household staple in the first place.

TalkingHead

You referring to the imagineer discussing "setting up base" for Pandora, and toward the end of the interview he says something akin to "... get yourself to Animal Kingdom, we'll get you to Pandora." ?

Yes, in a way I can see how some would think of that as child like or role playing. He is representing what the imagineers see as a land unto itself and they want folk to see it that way too. To some outsiders it could come across as silly as it's just a theme park and they don't care about being immersed in the story line. I like the approach.

Yes. Also, it's a big honor to be chosen to represent Disney at these things, even if it is difficult at times with certain types of people interviewing them. Disney has carefully chosen each representative for their style and way in which they know what to say, and what not to.

Fair enough. I see the role playing as having less to do with professional creativity and more to do with the hype machine of juvenilia. But I get it. It's "immersive."

From afar, it looks like the guys and gals stationed at the displays are the B team. At least, I never got the impression that the "celeb" Imagineers (if such a thing can be said to exist) were given these meet-and-greet assignments at fan conventions.

Tigger1988

That's funny cause last I checked there were millions of covers of Do you want to build a snowman, Love is an open door, and for the first time in forever. And trust me crowds go nuts during the fireworks and the fantasmic pre show whenever one of those three plays. I will give you that many people don't like fixer upper, but those other three songs are just as classic at this point as many of the other disney songs. Whether you want to admit that or not.
There's a million covers of "watch me nae nae" too. Means jack.

Sped2424

There are 21 Pixar films either released or announced and only 8 are sequels. That's pretty good considering how risk-averse movie studios tend to be.
I understand that, but you're not presenting this in a fair manner. I am talking about pixar's upcoming schedule that is worrying rather than their past films. To have non stop sequels back to back is just a little heartbreaking to me and many and I think that's a fair comment. Even if they are solid. As inside out showed look at what they can still do with original concepts? Why push back or rob ourselves of another film like that even if 2 of these sequels end up being fantastic?

Sam Magic

Is that why cars 2 was so story driven? I am just saying a sequel here and there is fine, but nothing but sequels for the next 4 years makes the special studio that is pixar loose a bit of the magic that made it a household staple in the first place.
As much as I hate sequels I will say that Cars 2 was a black sheep compared to other Pixar sequels which are typically on point and very good. Cars 3 needs to be killed, but probably will not be because of the Cars Land...yay.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I did say mostly. You hit the exception to the rule.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom