D23 Expo 2015

Figments Friend

An hour wait for StagePass.....but SUCCESS!
I was able to get one for the one panel I most wanted to experience, which was the 'Imagineering 60 Years of Disneyland'.
So I feel really relieved....but drained already and I have done very little except sweat, stand in long lines, and....well.....stand.

I am currently sitting here in the D23 lounge ( open to all ).
If any of you are here come find me!
I am wearing my hand painted 'Discovery Bay' shirt!

RobbinsDad

That 18,000 number seems awfully low. The Anaheim Convention Center is the largest on the West Coast and has 1.3 Million square feet. If the capacity is only 18,000 people, that gives each person 70 square feet to inhabit. The capacity of Hall D23 alone up on the third floor is 7,500 people, and Disney is using over 700,000 square feet down on the first floor in the four exhibit halls, plus all the other theaters and ballrooms in use on the second floor, first floor lobbies, etc.

According to the ACC website, the four exhibit halls on the first floor have a combined banquet capacity of 41,700 people or a theater setup capacity of 52,150 people. Plus the 10,000 seat Anaheim Arena attached to the halls, and the 200,000 square feet of ballroom and theater space on the second and third floors. Plus a 72,000 square foot first floor lobby.

I'm not saying they would ever max out every hall and ballroom like that, but even a modest sized convention will pull in 30,000+ people per day. This D23 Expo is upper-middle sized at 65,000 people over three days. The biggest convention Anaheim hosts each year is the NAMM (North American Music Manufacturers) convention. This past January at the '15 NAMM convention they had 95,709 people attend that three day convention. They certainly weren't limiting that huge crowd to only 18,000 allowed in at a time.

Is it really? It seems very small compared to the larger ones I've been to, like Dallas, Vegas, and Orlando.

TP2000

Always love it when American media says people are just "from Canada" (instead of any specific city or province...like they would for a US visitor).

That's mostly an outcome of professional journalists following the Associate Press Style Guide, a nomenclature and etiquette bible that is updated and published annually. Theme Park Bloggers mostly don't follow the AP Style Guide, but anyone who has graduated with a BA in Journalism in the last 100 years will follow the Style Guide.

There are only 30 American cities that can be used in a newspaper without denoting the state they are in. ("Los Angeles", "Chicago", etc.) There are even fewer foreign capitals that can be used without denoting their country. ("Tokyo", "London", etc.) If I remember correctly, Toronto is the only Canadian city that qualifies. So if the lady in question was not from Toronto, she would need to be identified in the article as coming from "Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada". The Style Guide says it is perfectly acceptable to refer to a foreigner by their country only, particularly if no specific quote is attributed to the person as in this Canadian's case.

They could have identified which province she hailed from if it was unusual or notable for the distance travelled like Nunavut or Prince Edward Island, but for expediency it's acceptable to just refer to her country.

The Orange County Register was correctly following the AP Style Guide in this article.

Jahona

Is it really? It seems very small compared to the larger ones I've been to, like Dallas, Vegas, and Orlando.
It's larger over all than L.A. but for some reason LA seems bigger to me. I believe it's the fact that Anaheim is 3 floors. Orlando is massive at 7 million square feet total. It's hard to compare to anywhere else but Chicago. The other thing is Anaheim, while larger, is broken up into rooms with a total smaller exhibit space than Dallas, Orlando, or Las Vegas.

RSoxNo1

A few thoughts:
  • How great is it to have all this info and front row photos delivered right to our homes as it happens?!? Thanks @wdwmagic !
  • That $12 an hour plaid vest Disneyland CM next to George Lucas looks ticked off. Is that the same cranky handler that told @RSoxNo1 "Sir, please don't" in Cars Land yesterday? The kid needs to cheer up a bit and realize he just works in a theme park.
  • Middle aged guy with blue necktie and creepy facial hair, who is that? Anyone we are supposed to know, or just a hangers-on? I ask because I like his sport coat.
  • And again, how great is this thread?!? Seriously.
Nah, he had a Disney handler and then a personal handler that yelled at me. Some of my photos from this morning. I was in the first group inside parks and resorts with Joe Rohde and Bruce Vaughn.
https://twitter.com/wdwthemeparks/status/632233238384144384
https://twitter.com/wdwthemeparks/status/632231331775156224
https://twitter.com/wdwthemeparks/status/632231292151578625
https://twitter.com/wdwthemeparks/status/632230947203604482
https://twitter.com/wdwthemeparks/status/632229321818533889

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Depp is now an official Disney Legend

image.jpg

Kamikaze

No. Just no.

100% yes, it was started by the success of BlizzCon. D23 follows the exact same layout as BlizzCon and started 4 years later, in same building. Saying that BlizzCon isn't D23's inspiration is just not accurate.

While I'm talking about the subject, Disney not offering a $40 stream of the events in this day and age is not only a huge missed revenue opportunity, it is plain stupid. When they control the streams, they can control the message. When the message is delivered by many different people with differing agendas, you get their spin on the event, like it or not.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom