D23 Expo 2015

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Picture spot.

image.jpg

TP2000

Is it really? It seems very small compared to the larger ones I've been to, like Dallas, Vegas, and Orlando.

Yes, it's the largest on the West Coast.

Vegas and Orlando are monsters, to be sure, and among the biggest on the planet. But the Anaheim Convention Center is the largest by far on the West Coast at 1.3 Million square feet, with an additional 200,000 square feet under construction now.

Dallas is a big one too, with 1 Million square feet of exhibit halls compared to Anaheim's 850,000 square feet of halls. The expansion opening in 2017 will nudge the Anaheim total just past Dallas at 1.05 Million square feet of exhibit halls.

Anaheim Convention Center is 1.3 Million Square Feet (1.5 Million in 2017)
San Francisco Moscone Center is 950,000 Square Feet
Portland Convention Center is 900,000 Square Feet
San Diego Convention Center is 815,000 Square Feet
(home to Comic-Con, but outgrowing the space and looking at Anaheim)
Los Angeles Convention Center is 725,000 Square Feet (LA is trying to get an expansion funded, but nothing official yet)
Seattle Convention Center is 310,000 Square Feet (the smallest by far)

As a point of reference, all of the exhibit hall space and all of the ballrooms in all of the convention centers and hotel conference facilities in all of the WDW Resort hotels adds up to 465,000 square feet. That's about half the space D23 Expo is using in just the exhibit halls alone, and not counting the various theaters and auditoriums used on the second and third floors.

TalkingHead

My absolute favorite part of D23 is the awkward interactions between bloggers and Imagineers who are tasked with staying in character.

Whenever I see these guys, I think: they may be talented, but the in-character stuff is all pretty silly, especially for industry professionals. It'd be far more interesting to hear them talk about the project like adults, but I get that making them play a character allows WDI to limit what information is released by giving these guys a script to stick to.

Still, I bet Marc Davis never conducted an interview in which he pretended that the ghosts in the Haunted Mansion are real. (Waiting for someone to produce some obscure interview with a drunk Marc Davis...)

Kamikaze

My absolute favorite part of D23 is the awkward interactions between bloggers and Imagineers who are tasked with staying in character.

Whenever I see these guys, I think: they may be talented, but the in-character stuff is all pretty silly, especially for industry professionals. It'd be far more interesting to hear them talk about the project like adults, but I get that making them play a character allows WDI to limit what information is released by giving these guys a script to stick to.

Still, I bet Marc Davis never conducted an interview in which he pretended that the ghosts in the Haunted Mansion are real. (Waiting for someone to produce some obscure interview with a drunk Marc Davis...)

I've never really considered them playing a 'character' they just talk about what they are allowed to discuss. Theres a big difference.

TP2000

Just saw a tweet (can't believe I actually typed that) from Theme Park Insider about the DHS redo. They have heard that a coaster is definitely in the expansion/redo of that park.

EDIT: This is getting crazy. There are tweets, periscopes, site updates everywhere.

Isn't it great?! And I promised myself I'd get down the hill to Target and Trader Joe's today. Darnit!

RSoxNo1

Just saw a tweet (can't believe I actually typed that) from Theme Park Insider about the DHS redo. They have heard that a coaster is definitely in the expansion/redo of that park.

EDIT: This is getting crazy. There are tweets, periscopes, site updates everywhere.
I'm guessing part of Star Wars... I'm hearing that Star Wars plans are finalized, but they may only announce part of it.

TalkingHead

Theme Park Insider is also reporting that this is why Universal is closing Hulk -- so that it can be relocated and reconstructed, piece by piece, at DHS (which will subsequently be renamed Disney's Marvel Studios).

...;)

note2001

You referring to the imagineer discussing "setting up base" for Pandora, and toward the end of the interview he says something akin to "... get yourself to Animal Kingdom, we'll get you to Pandora." ?

Yes, in a way I can see how some would think of that as child like or role playing. He is representing what the imagineers see as a land unto itself and they want folk to see it that way too. To some outsiders it could come across as silly as it's just a theme park and they don't care about being immersed in the story line. I like the approach.

I've never really considered them playing a 'character' they just talk about what they are allowed to discuss. There's a big difference.

Yes. Also, it's a big honor to be chosen to represent Disney at these things, even if it is difficult at times with certain types of people interviewing them. Disney has carefully chosen each representative for their style and way in which they know what to say, and what not to.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom