D23 Expo 2015

TP2000

Well, then what else will they talk about for 90 minutes?

Politically, it's very important that they fess up to the $1.5 Billion worth of expansion now planned for Disneyland Resort.

There was a real blowout of an 8 hour long Anaheim City Council meeting over a month ago, with the President of the Disneyland Resort staying until the final vote could be taken close to 1:00 AM. The result: Disneyland won't get a ticket tax for 45 years so long as they begin a $1.5 Billion expansion of the Anaheim parks within the next fiscal year.

It's important that Disney heal the frayed relationship with Anaheim politicians and show they were serious about the money. Whether that happens on Saturday or not, Disney simply has to say something about Anaheim expansion before Christmas. Most folks are betting they'll use the D23 Expo platform to give the local politicians up for reelection some political cover.

lazyboy97o

I won't pretend to have any knowledge about pre-Mao Chinese culture, aside from the significance of the Bund in Shanghai, so I'll just take your word for it.

Somehow though, I'm not surprised Mickey Avenue! won out creatively over Late Qing Era Hutong! :D
I'm not surprised either, but you say that as though there is something crazy about a late 19th century street being the basis of an entrance to the park. It's not like Main Street, USA is called Harrison-to-Taft Era Midwestern Dirt Road.

GiveMeTheMusic

Well, then what else will they talk about for 90 minutes?

They will talk about Shanghai, Avatar and other current projects. If they announce new projects, they will likely be for DLR. WDW's new projects are again, far away time wise. There will be more expos before those things are ready to open.

doctornick

That said, I don't think anyone should expect a lot of WDW announcements on Saturday. Everything for WDW that's not Frozen Ever After or Avatar is still years away.

It's entirely possible that some Pixar stuff (i.e. Toy Story Playland) will get added to DHS before the next D23 Expo. If that's in the cards, it wouldn't surprise me to see it announced this weekend.

Kman101

It feels like a cruel joke that we always get so close to hearing something and then nope ... forget Florida ... sigh. So frustrating. But I didn't expect much. I know that could change by Saturday but let's be real ... they still don't care enough to talk about Florida and "that park" ... and why do things even NEED to be years away. The monies were ponied up, they need to get moving. It's just frustrating after so many years (at least a decade) of stagnation and we can't even get some bones thrown our way.

I know ... in time ... but we've been waiting so long. I guess what's another five years?

misterID

They're most likely saving the SW and PIXAR stuff for later to really coincide with the films. I have a sneaky suspicion they're going to really try and pimp Frozenstrom like its a significant project... Other than being a cluster...congestion...nightmare. Then again, I have a prescription for percocet right now, so my standards for being impressed will be very, very low. I really want to see more Avatar artwork.

Captain Neo

Not necessarily. Disney announced some time ago that the Imagineering pavilion would feature lots of models and artwork for Shanghai Disneyland and Avatar at DAK. It's not really connected to whatever will be announced at the parks presentation on Saturday.

That said, I don't think anyone should expect a lot of WDW announcements on Saturday. Everything for WDW that's not Frozen Ever After or Avatar is still years away.

It is my understanding that SOMETHING brand new will be announced for Disneyland and Hollywood Studios on Saturday. Don't expect a ton of details but they will be throwing audiences a bone.

TP2000

I was walking into Cars Land today and walked past George Lucas. As soon as I took my phone out his handler said, "Sir, please don't". I can only assume they were ushering him off to a backstage area. No one else was around.

Seeing George Lucas walking through Cars Land on D23 Expo Eve is pretty darn cool, but I can top that. ;)

I was sitting in Anaheim's Umami Burger nursing a bacon-bourbon Old Fashioned earlier this evening, when I felt a certain Spirit nearby. And in walks the Spirit himself, @WDW1974! Not only that, he had Angie M with him, who is just as lovely and charming as she is smart. A fun and insightful evening was had by all on this warm D23 Expo Eve, and the Spirit proved to be everything and more that I'd assumed he was.

There's something different about this D23 Expo, you can feel it in the air here. There seems to be more celebrities, more movers and shakers, and more of the smart set in Anaheim for this one. @WDW1974 obviously knows where the action is, and this week it's in Anaheim.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom