D23 Expo 2015

GiveMeTheMusic

So that is happening tomorrow and not Saturday?

Captain Neo is referring to the Imagineering pavilion, which will be open for the entire expo (starting tomorrow). Pictures are linked to above as some have already been posted from tonight's media preview. The parks presentation will still be Saturday and any announcements will be made then.

brb1006

True, but you have to remember that mainland Chinese folks born in the late 20th century would have absolutely no knowledge or point of reference for a small Midwestern USA town circa 1905. What's the point really? And if you stop too long to think about it, a small Midwestern USA town introduces all sorts of concepts the Communist Politburo in Beijing wouldn't want their citizens thinking about, like democracy and free market economies and personal liberty. Not a good way to enter a theme park if you are a Communist.

Aside from the boldly democratic themes just below the surface of Main Street USA, when you think of Shanghai Disneyland like Burbank execs think of it, as a big training center for 300 Million brand new middle class consumers designed to introduce them to the Disney brand and lifestyle, a Mickey Avenue makes a lot more sense than an homage to a small American town of 110+ years ago.
I hope the meet and greets will turn out well.

WDWLover#1

Someone took a pic from the parks pavilion:
11849906_1649265388621160_385220740_n-jpg.105701

Homer fan

Captain Neo is referring to the Imagineering pavilion, which will be open for the entire expo (starting tomorrow). Pictures are linked to above as some have already been posted from tonight's media preview. The parks presentation will still be Saturday and any announcements will be made then.
Oh, nice! I thought all those details were a major part of the parks and resorts presentation on Saturday. ...if those details happen on Friday, then Saturday has to have some major announcement

lazyboy97o

True, but you have to remember that mainland Chinese folks born in the late 20th century would have absolutely no knowledge or point of reference for a small Midwestern USA town circa 1905. What's the point really? And if you stop too long to think about it, a small Midwestern USA town introduces all sorts of concepts the Communist Politburo in Beijing wouldn't want their citizens thinking about, like democracy and free market economies and personal liberty. Not a good way to enter a theme park if you are a Communist.

Aside from the boldly democratic themes just below the surface of Main Street USA, when you think of Shanghai Disneyland like Burbank execs think of it, as a big training center for 300 Million brand new middle class consumers designed to introduce them to the Disney brand and lifestyle, a Mickey Avenue makes a lot more sense than an homage to a small American town of 110+ years ago.
There is no reason that Main Street, USA could not have become something like a romantic hutong or longtang. The late Qing or even Republican era, despite being who the Communists fought against, are not off limits for entertainment.

GiveMeTheMusic

Oh, nice! I thought all those details were a major part of the parks and resorts presentation on Saturday. ...if those details happen on Friday, then Saturday has to have some major announcement

Not necessarily. Disney announced some time ago that the Imagineering pavilion would feature lots of models and artwork for Shanghai Disneyland and Avatar at DAK. It's not really connected to whatever will be announced at the parks presentation on Saturday.

That said, I don't think anyone should expect a lot of WDW announcements on Saturday. Everything for WDW that's not Frozen Ever After or Avatar is still years away.

Homer fan

Not necessarily. Disney announced some time ago that the Imagineering pavilion would feature lots of models and artwork for Shanghai Disneyland and Avatar at DAK. It's not really connected to whatever will be announced at the parks presentation on Saturday.

That said, I don't think anyone should expect a lot of WDW announcements on Saturday. Everything for WDW that's not Frozen Ever After or Avatar is still years away.
Well, then what else will they talk about for 90 minutes?

TP2000

There is no reason that Main Street, USA could not have become something like a romantic hutong or longtang. The late Qing or even Republican era, despite being who the Communists fought against, are not off limits for entertainment.

I won't pretend to have any knowledge about pre-Mao Chinese culture, aside from the significance of the Bund in Shanghai, so I'll just take your word for it.

Somehow though, I'm not surprised Mickey Avenue! won out creatively over Late Qing Era Hutong! :D

MagicGoofy

They could spend 90 minutes on Shanghai alone if they wanted to.

Yeah I think Pandora and Shanghai will take up most of the time with Frozen coming in a close third then they will just gradually tease or say they have future plans (Star Wars) and maybe an annoucment regarding Hollywood studios name change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom