D23 Expo 2015

BernardandBianca

I'm a patriotic American, but gosh darn it our nation's biggest airports are really gross and make us look like a 2nd world country to arriving tourists. It's embarrassing.

Hyperbole to the max. Try flying into Nairobi, and then drive into the city.

Also, the line to get into the convention center at 7:30 am. PDT this morning (the day before the Expo), numbered more than 50 people. And most of them had the Sorcerer's package, which means they don't have to wait for hardly anything, and which didn't have anything planned before 9:30 am.

Kamikaze

im assuming video as well seeing how last d23 there was lots of video in the imagineering section

Obviously. But pictures are faster and easier to upload. Inside the ACC you do not have the best service. Especially with 18-20 thousand of your closest friends trying to use their phones as well.

Kamikaze

Hyperbole to the max. Try flying into Nairobi, and then drive into the city.

Also, the line to get into the convention center at 7:30 am. PDT this morning (the day before the Expo), numbered more than 50 people. And most of them had the Sorcerer's package, which means they don't have to wait for hardly anything, and which didn't have anything planned before 9:30 am.

50? BFD.

Here's BlizzCon badge pickup from last year. A full hour before the doors opened. And all you could do was pick up your badge, the convention wasn't until the next day. That crowd was even more insane.
IMG_1997.JPG IMG_1995.JPG

There were more than 50 people in line when I ran through on my morning run at 430ish am.

Attachments

• IMG_1997.JPG
    IMG_1997.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

TP2000

Here's helpful tips and information about D23 Expo parking, overnight queuing options, box office, and logistical information. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/entry-677236-parking-convention.html

The Anaheim Convention Center has major construction happening on its northern flanks and two parking structures have been leveled, so I think I'm going to either take advantage of the free shuttles from the Disneyland Hotel and let them valet park my car, or perhaps just Uber over from my house 8 miles away.

doctornick

Hopefully after D23 they will move it to AK so guests can see what to expect. (also me being selfish and wanting to see it in person)

I kind of wonder that. If they move it to WDW, would put it in DAK? I doubt it, but think it could and probably would be part of any Blue Sky Studio that is put up in the old Animation building in DHS.

TP2000

I'm not completley sure on this but on models that are shown to the public, do they include all the show buildings or just the themed elements?

D23 Expo has a history of showing official models in the WDI Pavilion that show everything an Imagineer added to it, down to patio tables and benches.

From vintage models from the late 1970's of EPCOT Center pavilion concepts like this first pass at The Land pavilion:
land-pavilion-epcot-center-model-d23-expo-disney-overhead-2013.jpg

To sprawling models of entire new lands and mountain ranges and how they fit into existing park facilities.
3977959465_b6c353c37e_b.jpg

You can spend as much time as you want pouring over these models, and they have Imagineers standing by them to answer questions and point things out. At the '09 D23 Expo on Sunday afternoon I was admiring the huge model of Cars Land when a gracious lady in a WDI polo shirt asked if I had any questions, and then she proceeded to walk me through the entire model from one side to another in a broad creative overview of the project. We had a nice little chat and I thanked her. A few minutes later I realized who that was; it was Kathy Mangum, WDI Senior Vice President in charge of Cars Land. Doh!

TP2000

I was thinking Blue Sky...but then I thought it would be odd to have the AK model in DHS...but DHS badly needs SOMETHING to look at so yeah, let's do it.

The Blue Sky Cellar at DCA from 2008 to 2012 had revolving exhibits that changed every six to nine months. It was not unusual for the main exhibit in the Cellar to be a Disneyland Park addition, like the Princess Fantasy Faire project in Fantasyland. At all times there were at least secondary exhibits that had upcoming things for Disneyland, while the main exhibit was upcoming DCA projects, and they also had a secondary exhibit about Aulani expansion in Hawaii once.

So at Disneyland it's not unusual for a preview center to feature things coming to both parks. It works. I imagine it could also work for WDW if they get a Blue Sky Studio in DHS.

gmajew

Premium Member
D23 Expo has a history of showing official models in the WDI Pavilion that show everything an Imagineer added to it, down to patio tables and benches.

From vintage models from the late 1970's of EPCOT Center pavilion concepts like this first pass at The Land pavilion:
land-pavilion-epcot-center-model-d23-expo-disney-overhead-2013.jpg

To sprawling models of entire new lands and mountain ranges and how they fit into existing park facilities.
3977959465_b6c353c37e_b.jpg

You can spend as much time as you want pouring over these models, and they have Imagineers standing by them to answer questions and point things out. At the '09 D23 Expo on Sunday afternoon I was admiring the huge model of Cars Land when a gracious lady in a WDI polo shirt asked if I had any questions, and then she proceeded to walk me through the entire model from one side to another in a broad creative overview of the project. We had a nice little chat and I thanked her. A few minutes later I realized who that was; it was Kathy Mangum, WDI Senior Vice President in charge of Cars Land. Doh!

Very cool experience you had. The details in the models are amazing... I know we spend a ton of time looking at the models in One mans dream every time we go as it is amazing to see what they created and did.

TP2000

Thank you for the well wishes, it is indeed great to be back on the West Coast.
When I flew over the Hills and Villa Park ( did this time..!) I was waving to you from 10,000 feet.
I should have brought you a REAL lobster roll.
:)

Oh, how very sweet of you.

I don't miss the Boston winters, but I really do miss the lobster rolls. We had a couple favorite places around Boston for them, and we'd go up to Freeport, Maine back in the days when outlet shopping was still a novelty and have them there too. Truly a delicious treat, and a wonderful part of the unique New England culture. And they really can only be done properly in New England. Now I'm hungry...

You've arrived right as the first real heatwave of the summer sets in around SoCal, so I hope you're doing okay as you explore the parks before D23 Expo begins! But let's say it all together now... "But it's a dry heat." :cool:

TP2000

A weird departure from Walt's marceline main st.

True, but you have to remember that mainland Chinese folks born in the late 20th century would have absolutely no knowledge or point of reference for a small Midwestern USA town circa 1905. What's the point really? And if you stop too long to think about it, a small Midwestern USA town introduces all sorts of concepts the Communist Politburo in Beijing wouldn't want their citizens thinking about, like democracy and free market economies and personal liberty. Not a good way to enter a theme park if you are a Communist.

Aside from the boldly democratic themes just below the surface of Main Street USA, when you think of Shanghai Disneyland like Burbank execs think of it, as a big training center for 300 Million brand new middle class consumers designed to introduce them to the Disney brand and lifestyle, a Mickey Avenue makes a lot more sense than an homage to a small American town of 110+ years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom