D23 Anniversary Party at WDW

EPCOT Explorer

Really? My own experience (and that of quite a few others here) would disagree with that. Disney did cater to us quite nicely when they realized how awesome their hardcore fanbase was. I have had a desert party in the Odyssey, been given free access to the Norway VIP lounge, been part of a one night only fireworks display, seen presentations from Marty Sklar, Joe Rohde and more...

Then they created D23 to make people pay for that.

Just one bit of proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR65SxY6Lq8

Beat me to it. :D

Well said. :)

And don't forget DAK's anniversary and DHS's.

TURKEY

unofficial fan meetups don't get access to meals served in semi-closed venues and don't get the park staying open after hours just for them.

Did you see the part of his post where he said that being catered to by Disney and having the opportunity to dine in the Golden Horseshoe Review, which is generally closed, is also appealing?

Do the wdwmagic free meets get that access? No, they don't.

Fan meets can pay for stuff and get meals in more exclusive areas than a restaurant/saloon that shouldn't be closed.

Is seeing Philharmagic and riding Fantasyland rides that exclusive? Sure it may be after hours, but it's nothing you can't normally do.

:shrug:

The most exclusive sounds like getting to meet some characters that normally don't appear.

SoccerMickey

The most exclusive sounds like getting to meet some characters that normally don't appear.

And I am very curious to see which characters those would be:

Roger Rabbit?
The Rescuers?
Disney Afternoon characters?
Hunchback of Notre Dame characters?
Emperor's New Groove?
Atlantis?

Figment82

Besides, the Golden Horseshoe is in Disneyland, so if they can transport you across the country in one evening for dinner, that would be totally worth it to me! :lol: The Diamond Horseshoe is in Disney World.

Plus it's usually open during peak times (like summer and Christmas). Although they don't do the show anymore, which is indeed a real shame, the interior has been kept intact. I love walking around there taking photos - beautiful architecture, and a unique trash can design to boot! :)

MKCP 1985

Really? My own experience (and that of quite a few others here) would disagree with that. Disney did cater to us quite nicely when they realized how awesome their hardcore fanbase was. I have had a desert party in the Odyssey, been given free access to the Norway VIP lounge, been part of a one night only fireworks display, seen presentations from Marty Sklar, Joe Rohde and more...

Then they created D23 to make people pay for that.

Just one bit of proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR65SxY6Lq8

It was great to see a group of fans work to convince parks management to put on an anniversary celebration for EPCOT. I wasn't there, but tell me, was that event on the youtube video exclusively for the internet community? Or was it for anyone who happened to buy a ticket to that park on that day? Did Epcot or any other park stay open exclusively for the forums group's members *for free* while other paying park guests had to leave?

Because I believe I am describing an apple and you are showing me an orange. :shrug:

MKCP 1985

Fan meets can pay for stuff and get meals in more exclusive areas than a restaurant/saloon that shouldn't be closed.

Is seeing Philharmagic and riding Fantasyland rides that exclusive? Sure it may be after hours, but it's nothing you can't normally do.

:shrug:

Isn't that the whole point of Matpez and EpcotExplorer's criticism - that you have to pay extra for stuff? That seems to be the complaint against D23 - that you have to pay extra to join and then pay extra to sign up for the meets offered exclusively to D23 members. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

Isn't that the whole point of Matpez and EpcotExplorer's criticism - that you have to pay extra for stuff? That seems to be the complaint against D23 - that you have to pay extra to join and then pay extra to sign up for the meets offered exclusively to D23 members. :shrug:

It's that, and the fact that it's not worth it to us.:wave:

djkidkaz

But... here on WDWmagic we were some of those that began the trend of group fan meetups, long before D23 and without a ridiculous membership fee. You want to meet up with other like minded fans? Post it here, when & where... they will show up.

Its not the same to attend an event setup by some people on the internet. Its the idea of attending an event setup BY Disney. No offense, Im sure your get togethers are great but their not run by a company and you aren't paying a staff so of course there is no membership fee. Membership fees are paid to pay a staff that works on these events and to cover costs of creating and mailing membership cards and certificates to people as well as keeping a database of the members. I know things like a membership card aren't necessary but Disney knows that alot of people just like being card carrying members of a Disney club. Its the same reason people open credit cards with Chase so they can have a Disney credit card. Just to clarify, Im not knocking what you guys do with your celebrations meets, I think its great that you get together, but IMO theres just no comparing fan meet and greets with something done by Disney for its fans.

EPCOT Explorer

Its not the same to attend an event setup by some people on the internet. Its the idea of attending an event setup BY Disney. No offense, Im sure your get togethers are great but their not run by a company and you aren't paying a staff so of course there is no membership fee. Membership fees are paid to pay a staff that works on these events and to cover costs of creating and mailing membership cards and certificates to people as well as keeping a database of the members. I know things like a membership card aren't necessary but Disney knows that alot of people just like being card carrying members of a Disney club. Its the same reason people open credit cards with Chase so they can have a Disney credit card. Just to clarify, Im not knocking what you guys do with your celebrations meets, I think its great that you get together, but IMO theres just no comparing fan meet and greets with something done by Disney for its fans.
You know, that's true and all, but honestly, I feel like the WDWC meets ARE more, just because they mark and actual event. It's Park History, being there on the anniversary and actually seeing that will be marked in the company's "archives".

If D23 would start doing things like that, it would help their cause. Then again...Are they going to limit a "Anniversary Celebration" to just paying fans? And not market the bigger event to a bigger demographic?

See? That's a problem, to me. If they want to make their events a little more acceptable and far reaching, do the same to D23. Make the membership fee a little less (Ok, a lot), make it still worth something to those not available for the events (Not like the Silver Membership-which WOULD be good for locals.) and have it compliment what they already do for big events.

Is it a lot to ask? Perhaps. Do I expect a lot out of Disney? Of course.:wave:

drew81

And I am very curious to see which characters those would be:

Roger Rabbit?
The Rescuers?
Disney Afternoon characters?
Hunchback of Notre Dame characters?
Emperor's New Groove?
Atlantis?

I wouldn't expect to see any of these characters. It will probably be VIP's-Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald etc

SoccerMickey

I wouldn't expect to see any of these characters. It will probably be VIP's-Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald etc

Its a shame Roger Rabbit doesn't come out anymore. And even thought it was a bomb, the B.E.N. costume from Treasure Planet was really cool with the light up eyes.

MaterA113

Congrats to all who got tickets!

Im very disappointed as we tried RIGHT AT 1pm and before and put in our ## and it said it was wrong.

So we called and NO ONE, i repeat NO ONE on the phone knew what D23 was, then we got a verification ofour ## (the same as it said it was) and it was SOLD OUT! Im very disappointed as i was TOTALLY looking forward to this. :(

But once again Congrats to all who got tickets!:sohappy:

Matpez

It was great to see a group of fans work to convince parks management to put on an anniversary celebration for EPCOT. I wasn't there, but tell me, was that event on the youtube video exclusively for the internet community? Or was it for anyone who happened to buy a ticket to that park on that day? Did Epcot or any other park stay open exclusively for the forums group's members *for free* while other paying park guests had to leave?

Because I believe I am describing an apple and you are showing me an orange. :shrug:

The access to all of the Marty Sklar and Joe Rohde events was limited to our group and CMs. But the point was, they were done and they were free. I would take that any day over a dinner and a special showing of Philarmagic.

I just don't get the appeal of D23 at all... I just want it to once actually show a value instead of showing cost.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I just don't get the appeal of D23 at all... I just want it to once actually show a value instead of showing cost.
So you don't get it. :shrug:

Others seemingly do.

I don't get any "value" out of WDWMagic [I kinda like to think I might add some value for others :eek:], but I choose to pay $50 a year for it. I choose to pay $75 per year for D23 and actually get a magazine sent to me four times a year.

Some people choose to spend money on things I would never dream of spending a dime on. I don't spend my time trying to make them feel foolish for it. I buy into D23 because I like what they offer. If you don't, then don't buy in.

WDWFigment

Exactly. :)

It would be cool to be there and see it all go down live, but in the end, I'm going to know the same exact thing as someone there. :lol:

Come on, you have to know this is a lot more than being about information. I mean, you (presumably) know a lot about what went on at EPCOT at or around opening day, but wouldn't you give a lot to actually be there and experience it?

In any case, I've made my points before about D23, this is a rehash of the same argument so I'll bow out. I will say this--in the end all of the complaints about D23 mean nothing to Disney as long as these events keep selling out in minutes. You guys can complain about D23 until you're blue in the face, but at least the events are proving immensely popular.

TURKEY

In any case, I've made my points before about D23, this is a rehash of the same argument so I'll bow out. I will say this--in the end all of the complaints about D23 mean nothing to Disney as long as these events keep selling out in minutes. You guys can complain about D23 until you're blue in the face, but at least the events are proving immensely popular.

Or immensely scarce. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

Come on, you have to know this is a lot more than being about information. I mean, you (presumably) know a lot about what went on at EPCOT at or around opening day, but wouldn't you give a lot to actually be there and experience it?

That's completely different. That's real. That's "Historic" for Disney. This? Press Even for Fans that pay. Not buying that angle.

As for your other point...

What Turkey said. :lol:

Or immensely scarce. :shrug:

Exactly. Yet another flaw with D23. Not all the people that have the ability to go can go....That does not seem like a good business. Sure, limit the amount of tics, but this amount of scarcity is really prohibitive.

WDWFigment

That's completely different. That's real. That's "Historic" for Disney. This? Press Even for Fans that pay. Not buying that angle.

As for your other point...

What Turkey said. :lol:

Exactly. Yet another flaw with D23. Not all the people that have the ability to go can go....That does not seem like a good business. Sure, limit the amount of tics, but this amount of scarcity is really prohibitive.

It's obviously real history to the people who care to go. Now I understand that my comparison is a bit extreme and they clearly aren't equivalent, but you treated it as a mere "information session" which I think we both know is obviously not the case as well. I will grant you that in the grand scheme of things it's not as important as a park opening, but I think Disney Geeks in 10 years who were not at these unveilings or imagineer presentations may be jealous of those who were there. I could be entirely wrong, though, and this could go down as inconsequential.

As to your second point, yes, scarcity does play a part. However, if the spaces available are not artificially scarce, what does that matter? Although neither of us could say for sure, I think it would be safe to say that less than 50% of those who sought tickets were able to acquire them (I'd even say less than 25%, actually), given that, it would seem to me that if this event is profitable for Disney, and it would be feasible to open more spaces, Disney would do it. It also says to me that despite any claims that there isn't enough value in these events to justify the price tag, enough people are finding value to justify it completely. If spaces at these events aren't artificially scarce, the best way for Disney to reconcile these problems (at least in a free market) would be to raise the price. However, then you all would be complaining that the prices or "ridiculous" or "unfair" or some other crap.

EPCOT Explorer

It's obviously real history to the people who care to go. Now I understand that my comparison is a bit extreme and they clearly aren't equivalent, but you treated it as a mere "information session" which I think we both know is obviously not the case as well. I will grant you that in the grand scheme of things it's not as important as a park opening, but I think Disney Geeks in 10 years who were not at these unveilings or imagineer presentations may be jealous of those who were there. I could be entirely wrong, though, and this could go down as inconsequential.

As to your second point, yes, scarcity does play a part. However, if the spaces available are not artificially scarce, what does that matter? Although neither of us could say for sure, I think it would be safe to say that less than 50% of those who sought tickets were able to acquire them (I'd even say less than 25%, actually), given that, it would seem to me that if this event is profitable for Disney, and it would be feasible to open more spaces, Disney would do it. It also says to me that despite any claims that there isn't enough value in these events to justify the price tag, enough people are finding value to justify it completely. If spaces at these events aren't artificially scarce, the best way for Disney to reconcile these problems (at least in a free market) would be to raise the price. However, then you all would be complaining that the prices or "ridiculous" or "unfair" or some other crap.

Honestly, I am expecting PR. If they go beyond that and give more pictures, more information, more models, I'm very happy to eat my words. :) Since the beginning, I've asked them to prove me wrong. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom