Rumor D23 2024 WDW Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

bwr827

I have a prediction. There will be much for all parks, majorly wdw, but people still will not be happy.
There is a sizeable group who will hold to “I’ll believe it when I see it” and spend the next 2-5 years expressing many angles of doubt that whatever is being built is not going to be a major disappointment.

I’m not speaking to the reasons why or why not, simply preparing for the slog journey.

If someone is in that group, it makes sense that they’ll need firsthand proof.

Fast forward 5+ years: “I guess that ride was fun, but the signage fonts are all wrong.”

Sneakman

There is a sizeable group who will hold to “I’ll believe it when I see it” and spend the next 2-5 years expressing many angles of doubt that whatever is being built is not going to be a major disappointment.

I’m not speaking to the reasons why or why not, simply preparing for the slog journey.

If someone is in that group, it makes sense that they’ll need firsthand proof.

Fast forward 5+ years: “I guess that ride was fun, but the signage fonts are all wrong.”
At this point idc about sacredness as long as it’s good, ive just been kinda worn down by all that. Im happy bc my bears and figment are both likely safe for now, so idc atp. I’ve accepted that ip jamming and attraction changing stuff for the worse (though I am not one of those “wokeism is evil durr” people and I do not claim or identify with them in any way) is gonna happen, it is what it is. If the new attractions are cool and good at least, I’ll be happy. I’ve given up on fighting it, but I commend and encourage those who have not yet given up the fight.

Surferboy567

James Cameron is being given a legend award for a reason. They'll have him 3-peat the stage. He wasn't even physically at last D23, when he showed off Avatar 2.
Joe Rhode is as well and while he definitely deserves it for all his long years of service the link between himself and Cameron can’t be ignored.

Side Note: Will they show off Avatar 3 at the studios panel? It may be too early for that.

BrianLo

Here's where I stand on this D23. This is a multi-faceted large arm of the corporation with a fan conference in Anaheim. WDW, as always, will get a disproportionate amount of time. But cruises, DVC, International parks, Disneyland, ?broadway etc are also part of the portfolio and also have their fan bases.

This D23 isn't merely a fan event, it's a strategic keynote for a division of the company that they keep saying has a big plan in place to Wall Street. This panel needs to represent the breadth of that. Even if there is a 15 minute segment on cruise ships and an announcement of a new class. That's an important segment.

Now as it pertains to WDW, my expectation is Tropical Americas and two other attractions (Coco, ?Moana). Ignoring the projects already under works and one solid 2025 entertainment announcement. This is the good enough measure. Good enough to turn things back around from their current investment glut, good enough to have a solid D23.

What I am looking for is if their money is where there mouth is. Lion King, DHS, something unexpected. Not all, but one of those actually starts to represent the uptick on last decade they promised. I'll leave very enthusiastic. If they go even beyond that one extra thing, it's clearly WDW's best ever presentation.

On the flip side, if we leave D23 with only Tropical Americas and Coco... that's disappointing. It isn't enough. In fact, it's kind of less than they promised in 2022. Anything not announced, that has been heavily rumoured (looking at Moana, Lion King for example - or even a night parade), is basically a cancelled project by precedent.

IanDLBZF

Now as it pertains to WDW, my expectation is Tropical Americas and two other attractions (Coco, ?Moana). Ignoring the projects already under works and one solid 2025 entertainment announcement. This is the good enough measure. Good enough to turn things back around from their current investment glut, good enough to have a solid D23.
My expectation is we're LIKELY gonna hear about Tropical Americas, Beyond Big Thunder, and the new nighttime parade. And then we're gonna have some surprises (like say new monorails or hotels).

TheRealSkull

On the flip side, if we leave D23 with only Tropical Americas and Coco... that's disappointing. It isn't enough. In fact, it's kind of less than they promised in 2022. Anything not announced, that has been heavily rumoured (looking at Moana, Lion King for example - or even a night parade), is basically a cancelled project by precedent.
I really wonder tho what Josh meant by this parks panel will be like anything they've ever done. I hope that's in regards to the announcements. If so, in that case, it can't just be Tropical Americas and Coco.

I say for Josh to live up to those words, there needs to be all of BBT announced, a new EPCOT pavilion with the Spaceship Earth refurb and Mary Poppins attraction back on the table and a big Figment announcement, DHS gets a major expansion, Animal Kingdom Tropical Americas details, and Disneyland Forward details along with the Avengers E ticket official announcement plus the announcement of a New Tomorrowland. And then leave room for many more surprises along the way.

And maybe blue sky for a 5th gate.

BrianLo

I really wonder tho what Josh meant by this parks panel will be like anything they've ever done. I hope that's in regards to the announcements. If so, in that case, it can't just be Tropical Americas and Coco.

I say for Josh to live up to those words, there needs to be all of BBT announced, a new EPCOT pavilion with the Spaceship Earth refurb and Mary Poppins attraction back on the table and a big Figment announcement, DHS gets a major expansion, Animal Kingdom Tropical Americas details, and Disneyland Forward details along with a New Tomorrowland announcement. And then leave room for many more surprises along the way.

And maybe blue sky for a 5th gate.

Dial it way, way back, (and shove that 5th gate into the bin) or you will be disappointed. That's not unlike anything they've ever done, that's extremely beyond anything they've ever done.

We are also getting announcements for Paris, probably Shanghai, maybe HK Marvel attraction, possibly a new cruise ship class. The unlike everything we've ever done doesn't just mean North America.

This is the bar, essentially, for his comment to be valid.

EricsBiscuit

I thought now would be a good time to resurrect this thread. We are now around 37 days away from D23. What can we realistically expect to be announced at the parks panel? To recap I have seen the following projects be talked about I’ll put my personal chances next to the projects as I list them off.

Magic Kingdom:
  1. Beyond Big Thunder (I'd give this an 80% chance)
  2. Moana Adventureland (I'd give this a 65-70% chance) @EricsBiscuit stated in another thread this doesn't seem likely to be announced.
  3. Nighttime parade at Magic Kingdom (quick aside: personally while parades are cool I don't think they are the end all be all of what we need right now. WE NEED NEW INVESTMENT)
  4. Big Thunder Mountain refurb (I'd give this an 85% chance)
Epcot:
  1. Test Track (I'd give this a 100% chance)
  2. Soarin’ ending change (I’d give this a 55% chance)
Hollywood Studios:
  1. Animation Courtyard re-do (I'd give this a 30% chance)
  2. Rock N Roll retheme (I'd give this a 50% chance)
Animal Kingdom:
  1. Tropical Americas (I'd give this a 100% chance)
  2. Lion King land in Paris with the possibility of the flume being cloned in animal kingdom. (I'd give this a 90% chance of being announced for Paris and a 45% of it being announced for Animal Kingdom)
  3. Zootopia (Tree of Life) (I'd give this a 55% chance)
Disneyland:
  1. Avatar: The Way of Water expansion (I'd give this a 70% chance of being announced)
  2. Avengers E-Ticket (I'd give this a 75% chance)
Not very likely but it's been talked about:
  1. Figment (I want to hold out a little hope on this one so 30% chance)
  2. Spaceship Earth (40% chance)
  3. Something Inside Out (Probably too early)
What does everyone else think? Really hoping this is going to be the blockbuster D23 we all waited four years to see. As evident by my percentages I’m trying to keep my expectations in check. I’m sure they will also throw some curveballs no one expects as well.
I’m honored but I have to say I have no inside info. Just a guess based off what else we think they have planned.

TheRealSkull

Dial it way, way back, (and shove that 5th gate into the bin) or you will be disappointed. That's not unlike anything they've ever done, that's extremely beyond anything they've ever done.

We are also getting announcements for Paris, probably Shanghai, maybe HK Marvel attraction, possibly a new cruise ship class. The unlike everything we've ever done doesn't just mean North America.

This is the bar, essentially, for his comment to be valid.

Sorry if I didn't clarify but I agree. I mean that's the only way ALL the fandom will be happy lol

rct247

Realistic Guesses
  • More Details on Tropical America at DAK (although I wish they would just call it South America) with Dinoland closing soon which will later appear in a blog post with more details on when it will close.
  • Thunder Refurb at MK along with path reworking to prep for BBT but no more details on BBT.
  • Blue Sky tease on DHS Animation Ctyd but no details.
  • More Test Track 3.0 details
  • Wish meet and greet at Encanto location meet & greet in MK
  • Tease of new nighttime show at DAK with drones but no major detail.
Hopeful but less likely Additions
  • Wildcard - Tease of Inside Out being the return of a version of the Wonders of Life pavilion
  • Tomorrowland Speedway updated - primarily to meet 2030 environmental goals
  • Carousel of Progress refresh for 50 years being at WDW, add inclusion, recognize the passing of the last Sherman Bros

Last edited:

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Whatever expansion they do, it would make sense for the IP to match the popularity that Toy Story and Star Wars bring. The only ones I can think of are Marvel (that can't happen tho), Villians (will probably be saved for MK BBT), Princesses (fits better in MK), Cars, and Mickey and Friends. Those all came from stats alone determining most popular Disney franchises.

I know Zootopia has been talked about too, but honestly, that was just more speculation than rumor. Besides, that would be our third trackless ride in a park. Yeah, I know I've criticized people for saying Radiator Springs Racers wouldn't work anywhere in Disney World because of Test Track's existence, but I think 3 trackless rides in one park is bad for the sake of amount of breakdowns that occur daily in each of those rides. Also DHS needs more D tickets and below. More outdoor attractions would be nice, too. Slinky Dog Dash is very refreshing in that park.
For DHS, maybe they could port over the TDS Pan/Avengers E ticket ride system with a totally different IP attached to it? I am hoping the DHS expansion is something themed to Disney Animation. Maybe it could be WDW's take on Avengers Campus since Universal won't give up the Marvel rights.

Ichabod Crane

Decided to make a list of some of the current rumors out there and rate them on my view of the likelihood of a D23 announcement on a scale of 1-5. These can and will change anytime before the panel.

1 - Don’t count on it
2 - Best we’ll get is blue sky art
3 - Wild card
4 - Currently confident but could be dropped anytime prior
5 - Near certainty

Animal Kingdom:
Tropics details (5/5)
Lion King boat ride (3/5)
Night time show (3/5)
Pandora expansion (1/5)

Hollywood Studios:
Launch Bay expansion (2/5)
But specifically for:
Cars - (1/5)
Zootopia - (1/5)

Epcot:
Figment redo (2/5)
Spaceship Earth renovation (3/5)
Test Track details (5/5)

Magic Kingdom
Moana flume (4/5)
BBT phase one (RSR or Coco) (4/5)
Big Thunder renovation (5/5)
Villains land/BBT phase 2 (2/5)
Night time parade (4/5)
To give a quick update:
My confidence in Moana and Lion King has gone up

Last edited:

Disneyson

I think the idea that “we’re doing something we’ve never done before” references the presentation style at D23 expo. I feel like there will be a theatrical audience experience. If I had to guess, they’re going to turn the stadium into a jungle. Fits with Tropical Americas, Adventureland upgrades, and Lion King. I expect musical-style segues and Disney On Ice-esque set pieces.

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
I truly am excited for this D23 because I feel like they are going to announce a lot of stuff. My thoughts on the things that could be coming is more details on projects that have been already announced, new nighttime parade, something to do with figment, news on haunted mansion, and a new land for Hollywood Studios.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom