Rumor D23 2024 WDW Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

Goofyernmost

Stuff gets old and crappy or just dated.

They didn't HAVE TO rip out Energy to build Guardians. But Energy had poor satisfaction scores so there was no point in maintaining it as a museum piece

The things they replace are not beloved favorites, with one notable exception that we're not allowed to talk about.
I am assuming that the "notable exception" was Horizons but the reality was that almost no one was riding that anymore either. By the time it started to get into the closing cycle it was almost always a walk on. That was a direct reversal of when it was new and the lines were quite long. It was a good omni-ride attraction but it was almost impossible to update without tearing the whole inner show down and starting over. Nostalgia is fine, but in a place like WDW continued ability to still get people to want to go for specific rides or, at the very least, go because of a lot of good entertainment. That wasn't happening. The only fun big draw, people eater, that was still attracting was World of Motion, and the people paying the bills wanted something different that directly made cars the key focus of the motion.

The same thing applied to Imagination. It got to the point the the only impressive thing about it was the start when you ride around the turntable along with the Dream-finder and Figment. The rest got stale and all the years since then they cannot find anything that would fit in that fantastic building and that is mostly because of the demand for Figment that forced that change. It was terrible when they made the first change and after high demand the did it again to include Figment, but it remains on the edge of mediocre and awful. It sells merch, but it probably still would even with out Figment actively in a ride. With a little imagination Figment and Dream-finder could easily remain the mascots/symbols for the entire park.

MouseEarsMom33

One thing I find funny is how they have no issues dusting off old plans for a Monsters Inc coaster. Yet refuse to open the vault with the original World Showcase plans.

But I wonder how much new attendance a new country would actually bring today. Especially in a time where it is so easy to see travel vlogs for any country in the world and traveling has become more of a hobby for more individuals.

However, ai do wonder if D23 Brazil could bring a major Epcot announcement (not based on any rumors).

Finally, technology has advanced so much that they may actually be able to do the Monster ride better now vs. years ago

I’m generally happy with all the WDW announcements. The IP mandate is what it is, so bring on the much needed capacity. What I don’t understand is why they didn’t take the MK budget and spread that around to the other three parks, two of which are terribly lacking. MK will always be the big draw, but why make it more of one? Give the others what it takes to pull their weight.

1) Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are all getting additions/upgrades. EPCOT just had a "major overhaul". I don't see it as MK only getting the budget. Also, Villains is wanted by the fans. The best fit is MK.
2) Epic Universe will open soon. If there is a park that could take away MK rank as top theme park in the world, this park could do it. Especially with a phase 2 likely under development

Jrb1979

But I wonder how much new attendance a new country would actually bring today. Especially in a time where it is so easy to see travel vlogs for any country in the world and traveling has become more of a hobby for more individuals.

However, ai do wonder if D23 Brazil could bring a major Epcot announcement (not based on any rumors).

Finally, technology has advanced so much that they may actually be able to do the Monster ride better now vs. years ago
I'm not talking about a new country but adding major attractions to the countries that are already there. Like the Mt Fuji coaster and the Rhine River cruise

DarkMetroid567

I am assuming that the "notable exception" was Horizons but the reality was that almost no one was riding that anymore either. By the time it started to get into the closing cycle it was almost always a walk on. That was a direct reversal of when it was new and the lines were quite long. It was a good omni-ride attraction but it was almost impossible to update without tearing the whole inner show down and starting over. Nostalgia is fine, but in a place like WDW continued ability to still get people to want to go for specific rides or, at the very least, go because of a lot of good entertainment. That wasn't happening. The only fun big draw, people eater, that was still attracting was World of Motion, and the people paying the bills wanted something different that directly made cars the key focus of the motion.

The same thing applied to Imagination. It got to the point the the only impressive thing about it was the start when you ride around the turntable along with the Dream-finder and Figment. The rest got stale and all the years since then they cannot find anything that would fit in that fantastic building and that is mostly because of the demand for Figment that forced that change. It was terrible when they made the first change and after high demand the did it again to include Figment, but it remains on the edge of mediocre and awful. It sells merch, but it probably still would even with out Figment actively in a ride. With a little imagination Figment and Dream-finder could easily remain the mascots/symbols for the entire park.
Yeah. As time progresses, it’s clear that listening to the superfans of WDW’s yesteryears is not a prudent business strategy. The fact that original EPCOT Center even existed is honestly somewhat of a happy accident — it’s a miracle rides like Horizons ever happened.

IPs are here to stay. I think it’s telling that the thing that spruced up Universal’s competition with Disney was securing two ultra-popular IPs, which will likely be the leading lands at Epic Universe.

Goofyernmost

Yeah. As time progresses, it’s clear that listening to the superfans of WDW’s yesteryears is not a prudent business strategy. The fact that original EPCOT Center even existed is honestly somewhat of a happy accident — it’s a miracle rides like Horizons ever happened.

IPs are here to stay. I think it’s telling that the thing that spruced up Universal’s competition with Disney was securing two ultra-popular IPs, which will likely be the leading lands at Epic Universe.
I'm not sure if your first paragraph is sarcasm or a belief. I will say this though, you are correct, the fact that we got the original Epcot Center was indeed a miracle of quality and design. The problem was that as time went on and the internet became big, a place like Epcot Ctr. was no longer an exciting place to be when all the information we would ever need is right at our fingertips. Attendance dropped and dropped and dropped because everything was some sort of lesson that didn't change and it was like attending 5th grade for 10 years in a row. That made Disney make Epcot into a drink around the world location. No longer able to draw people in just for the attractions they had to create meaningless festivals as a way for them to make money without actually spending any money to speak of.

I am one of the superfans that was disappointed that the original no longer was there, but I also realized that unless I was willing to pay $500 per day for admission they had to find something else and some other mission for Epcot. It's original mission was wiped out by advances in technology that filled that need that Disney was trying to plug into when it opened originally. It had to change or close up.

Thelazer

By the time it started to get into the closing cycle it was almost always a walk on. That was a direct reversal of when it was new and the lines were quite long.

It had a very large hourly capacity which kept the lines down. There was the rumored sinkhole thing, but I think that's been disproven.

DarkMetroid567

I'm not sure if your first paragraph is sarcasm or a belief. I will say this though, you are correct, the fact that we got the original Epcot Center was indeed a miracle of quality and design. The problem was that as time went on and the internet became big, a place like Epcot Ctr. was no longer an exciting place to be when all the information we would ever need is right at our fingertips. Attendance dropped and dropped and dropped because everything was some sort of lesson that didn't change and it was like attending 5th grade for 10 years in a row. That made Disney make Epcot into a drink around the world location. No longer able to draw people in just for the attractions they had to create meaningless festivals as a way for them to make money without actually spending any money to speak of.

I am one of the superfans that was disappointed that the original no longer was there, but I also realized that unless I was willing to pay $500 per day for admission they had to find something else and some other mission for Epcot. It's original mission was wiped out by advances in technology that filled that need that Disney was trying to plug into when it opened originally. It had to change or close up.
A little of column A, a little of column B. I do think this community has a fantastic read on the quality of Disney’s modern output but I think many opinions here are conflated with fact in regards to who Disney needs to appeal to. This is especially true for any parks outside of Florida, where the audiences are dramatically different.

But yeah, that’s ultimately why I’m not convinced that a “catching up” of EPCOT’s original ideals would prove successful — because the American culture and sub-culture of attending theme parks have changed dramatically. Call it adaptation, or societal degradation, or whatever, but I doubt we’ll ever see anything approaching it ever again.

Horizonsfan

Cars aside, TSI absolutely should be refreshed and likely with a more relevant wilderness IP. That said, I'd hate to lose the exploration aspect from MK altogether.

Exploration/play trails are one of the things that makes Disney Parks more than just a really fancy Six Flags.

Homemade Imagineering

My biggest takeaway from this year’s panel is simply getting the ball rolling. Whether you like the contents of what’s been announced or not, this is a clear huge investment & it genuinely seems like they’re getting serious about things.

They just needed to start with what they’d already promised at the last one, elaborate a bit, & now put shovels in the ground. Now that we’re past this point it opens the floodgates for everything else (SSE, Imagination, Stitch replacement, Tomorrowland redo, etc…) the rest of the decade and into the next.

eddie104

So all the announcements for WDW were the ones furthest in development ?

Is Moana is still being worked on for Adventureland ??

Was the Coco boat ride concept being developed exclusively for DCA ?

Because I thought BBTM was going to get a land for that IP.

P.S. I guess wish casting on this site works because we are getting a full fledged Villains Land.

andysol

Again with this nonsense. The Orlando airport added a major new terminal. Tourist numbers are on the rise. Hotel capacity is rising. Universal is confident enough in the expanding market to be opening a whole new park.
Universal is in a completely different category.

Since volcano bay they’ve been aggressively attempting to be an alternative to disney world vs an “in addition to” disney world. Epic universe is simply the next step in that. Universal will eventually have a 4th park; likely before Disney has a 5th.

A 5th disney park just sounds depressing, anyway; if I’m being honest. Great in our minds, but in reality we would get 4 lands and 6 rides. Maybe a show, if we’re lucky.
It would be absolutely nothing like what Epic is bringing right out of the gate.

MaximumEd

1) Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are all getting additions/upgrades. EPCOT just had a "major overhaul". I don't see it as MK only getting the budget. Also, Villains is wanted by the fans. The best fit is MK.
I never said they weren’t or that MK only got the budget. HS will still be heavily lacking even with the door coaster/MI land, especially if Muppets and Star Tours is on the chopping block. Same with AK after Tropical Americas. Epcot’s “major overhaul” was, uh, something, I guess. Villains Land would be equally a hit in HS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom