Rumor D23 2024 WDW Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The circumstances around Iger's abrupt departure are still incredibly weird. Feels like something happened there that never surfaced publicly.

Some have speculated that Iger saw the early writing on the wall that things were about to hit the fan with COVID and he wanted to cash in his retirement while he still could.

There's some journalist, I forget who, who's writing a book on the Chapek vs. Iger period. Maybe we'll know more then.
There’s very little to speculate/guess about now…

Some things leaked out…most is kinda obvious to connect the dots with common sense

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
And yet they did have the free cash to retheme Splash Mountain.

"Are they booing me?"

"Uh, no, no, they're saying 'Boooooooooooo-b Iger, Boooooooooooooo-b Iger'..."

Muppets Most Wanted didn't flop because it was about the Muppets. Muppets Most Wanted flopped because A) it was up against Divergent and B) it was an awful movie.

I actually like the ABC Muppets series, but it had everything going against it: people flipped out because the press releases made them think it was gonna be, like, Avenue Q: The Series or something, with lots of cursing and raunchy humor. That's why the show didn't do better.

Muppets Now was pure crap.

As for Muppets Haunted Mansion and Muppets Mayhem, I don't know how good the Disney Plus ratings for them were, but I think they were pretty well-received.

And what are they doing with the Muppets right now? Nothing. Most of it apparently is because Bob Iger just doesn't give a crap about the franchise.

It might've been. I know that at least one puppeteer (Steve Whitmire) had a problem with the show's writing.

And for what it's worth, there really wasn't that much profanity.
The ABC muppets show and the Haunted Mansion I enjoyed. The thing I always liked about the muppets were both funny for kids but also with some adult humor thrown in

GenChi

Starting to wonder if Coco is now ever planned to come to WDW at all.

It was passed over for MK and unless Cars is replacing ROA there's no land left for it later, and even then maybe not. The DCA ride is clearly the rethemed GFT plan for Epcot back when Brazil was happening. If they wanted to pay a expensive complete revamp of that building to make a new queue to replace GFT they can, but now they wouldn't have unique attractions at each coast to advertise as exclusives to encourage visiting DCA which is why they've been avoiding clones largely. And as I mentioned they actually do want to keep 3 Cabs around, they are good merch sellers and there's been a lot of push for them recently.

Maybe MK still happens. Maybe the simulator Coco idea moves between Mexico/Norway after a lot of backstage relocation. Maybe they go back to old plans and it gets cloned over to replace GFT in the 2030s while the birds relocate to a newly announced Brazil pavilion. But yesterday might have made it likely WDW never gets a Coco attraction and it's a California exclusive like Encanto will be for WDW.

James Alucobond

After considering what didn't get announced that was rumored, my thoughts have shifted somewhat about where some things should go.

For AK, nix the clone of Paris' Lion King and instead revive the left half of the original blue sky art as an Oceania miniland. Do the Moana flume and move TriceraTop Spin over, converting it to the proposed kakamora spinner.

For MK, subsequently ignore Moana in favor of setting sights on Tomorrowland next. It needs a massive amount of help since many things within (Monsters, Buzz, Speedway) will be redundant in short order.

For EPCOT, find a way to make something for Coco work with Mexico. Yes, I know there are challenges, but with it now not showing at either MK or AK, it feels appropriate to put it on the table once more. This can be way down the road, though. There are obviously far more pressing issues at EPCOT.

brb1006

"Are they booing me?"

Muppets Most Wanted didn't flop because it was about the Muppets. Muppets Most Wanted flopped because A) it was up against Divergent and B) it was an awful movie.

I actually like the ABC Muppets series, but it had everything going against it: people flipped out because the press releases made them think it was gonna be, like, Avenue Q: The Series or something, with lots of cursing and raunchy humor. That's why the show didn't do better.

As for Muppets Haunted Mansion and Muppets Mayhem, I don't know how good the Disney Plus ratings for them were, but I think they were pretty well-received.

And what are they doing with the Muppets right now? Nothing. Most of it apparently is because Bob Iger just doesn't give a crap about the franchise.

It might've been. I know that at least one puppeteer (Steve Whitmire) had a problem with the show's writing.

There was a CGI Reboot of Muppet Babies on Disney Jr that concluded a few years ago.

doctornick

For AK, nix the clone of Paris' Lion King and instead revive the left half of the original blue sky art as an Oceania miniland. Do the Moana flume and move TriceraTop Spin over, converting it to the proposed kakamora spinner.

I'd actually be quite okay with that, especially if they added some Oceania wildlife as well. I did like the location on the Dinorama footprint though as having the Nemo show as part of it felt appropriate.

My only complaint would be that Moana is simply the perfect option for the Adventureland expansion plot and using it elsewhere closes that possibility.

James Alucobond

My only complaint would be that Moana is simply the perfect option for the Adventureland expansion plot and using it elsewhere closes that possibility.
I think other “adventure” options could work there since it’s so visually disconnected. Also, Moana would have been another water ride between other water rides, whereas that’s not as prevalent a format in AK, especially with Encanto presumably swapping back to something dry. I’d be on board with the path instead leading to, like, an Agrabah bazaar with the carpets relocated to a courtyard that also hosts a Cave of Wonders simulator or something.

Magenta Panther

"Are they booing me?"

Maybe Iger "doesn't give a crap about the franchise" because it doesn't generate much profit. And because Disney has given the crew behind the puppets every chance to create something successful, and it's pretty much failed. It's just economics, dude. The latest attempt, Muppets Mayhem, was cancelled after one season. What's Iger supposed to do? Keep throwing good money after bad?

Not that the puppets are alone when it comes to doomed attempts to revive vintage characters. Look what's been happening to the Looney Tunes gang. One stinkeroo after another. Plus Pepe Le Pew is getting the Brer Rabbit treatment. Yeesh. Maybe the dead should stay dead, y'know?

MaximumEd

I’m generally happy with all the WDW announcements. The IP mandate is what it is, so bring on the much needed capacity. What I don’t understand is why they didn’t take the MK budget and spread that around to the other three parks, two of which are terribly lacking. MK will always be the big draw, but why make it more of one? Give the others what it takes to pull their weight.

Goofyernmost

I’m 50 and have been going to Disney since I was 5. Even I have no interest in TSI. My college aged kids think it’s a joke and a waste of space. I respect those who enjoy it and are sad if it goes away, but the fact is that the majority would not know anything is missing.
True, when we made our first trip to WDW in 1983 my daughters were 7 and 9 years old. We wandered around the island but they didn't find anything that was part of what they could identify with and that was 40 years ago. We and I have been back to WDW a large number of times and have never felt the need or desire to go to TSI again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom