Rumor D23 2024 WDW Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

WDWhopper

Just because YOU have enough to do at Disney world for a week does not mean other people wouldn't benefit from expansion in Orlando.
I totally agree. We come from SoCal and usually spend between 7 and 9 days. We spent two weeks in Japan. If Disney had 5 parks, people would adjust their vacation schedules. Plus, a new park would get much more and longer traction than merely adding a land to an existing park. Can you imagine the buzz a new Disney World park would create? It would make WDW even more of a vacation destination than it is now. Animal Kingdom was built in 1998 and still makes people want to come to Disney World. Toy Story Land, not so much.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
EPCOT's 50th is 2032... announcing anything for EPCOT (intended to open for their 50th) would be premature now (8 years out), but announcing it in 2 years (at the next D23) would seem logical... I think they'll have a ramp up to EPCOT's 50th... just need to put the attention on what is coming sooner now...
Based on MK’s 50th I don’t see them going all out for the 50th at Epcot, but I’ll take it as a reason for some new things and maybe an enhanced Luminous if they want

brb1006

Disney has given them 2 movies (one of which flopped), several series (nearly all of which were quickly cancelled), and a presence on Youtube. And the muppets can't sell merchandise (which is why their dedicated store in DHS was taken over by Mickey and friends). What exactly could Disney do with them that hasn't been done already? What is there to "figure out"?

I mean, if you like them, fine, but I'd much rather Iger got rid of the puppet theater rather than get rid of RoA and the riverboat. Two attractions, BTW, that are NOT based on IP...
You seriously need to check out the Jim Henson doc "Jim Henson Idea Man" on Disney+ for a proper understanding on why The Muppets was loved. Disney attempted to sand their edges after they were acquired 20 years ago.

Moth

We have Test track and the Speedway...why do need a cars land?
Death waits for no one. The last ride on the Speedway may come sooner than you think.

Felt weird with no mention of the Play and Imagination Pavillions.
Let them cook here. Things for these are always on the grapevine in terms of it being a possibility. I am upset they didn't sneak one of these two in, but I'll rather let them perfect plans for either space.
All I can say is that I am going to have my work cut out for me keeping up with permits.
We all salute you soldier! 🫡🫡🫡

MerlinTheGoat

Aside from concerns about the Lion King ride using the live action version as a basis (hopefully it's just old art as the model shows the animated original and there are contradictory claims about which version it is), the Lion King flume over in Paris is probably the most interesting looking attraction at the presentation for me.

I'm pretty baffled why it isn't a top priority to bring it to Animal Kingdom. There are rumors, but it's absurd that it hasn't just been full on greenlit and announced already. And I mean the legit high quality one, not the supposed stripped down lesser version that has been rumored.

This seems like the sort of thing that, if executed well (and based on the animated version), would be a near unanimous hit with fans and regulars alike.

SplashJacket

Aside from concerns about the Lion King ride using the live action version as a basis (hopefully it's just old art as the model shows the animated original and there are contradictory claims about which version it is), the Lion King flume over in Paris is probably the most interesting looking attraction at the presentation for me.

I'm pretty baffled why it isn't a top priority to bring it to Animal Kingdom. There are rumors, but it's absurd that it hasn't just been full on greenlit and announced already. And I mean the legit high quality one, not the supposed stripped down lesser version that has been rumored.

This seems like the sort of thing that, if executed well (and based on the animated version), would be a near unanimous hit with fans and regulars alike.
If Encanto and Indy open in 2027, I’d expect LK to open around 2029 or even 2028. How much they ramp up expansion would likely depend on their free cash flow.

If Lion King is 2027 or 2028 at Paris, I could see Avatar being 2029 or 2030 at Paris.

For Animal Kingdom, I could see Lion King 2029 and an Avatar coaster in 2030.

Brer Panther

Between D+ starting up and buying out Hulu co-owners, and buying Fox, and the pandemic, Disney didn't have the free cash to commit to this level of investment in the parks.

They do now.
And yet they did have the free cash to retheme Splash Mountain.
JD: Why weren't they cheering for Cars portion?
Underling 1: They were taking a pause to breathe
JD: Are you sure?
"Are they booing me?"

"Uh, no, no, they're saying 'Boooooooooooo-b Iger, Boooooooooooooo-b Iger'..."
They've tried Muppet projects on broadcast TV and Disney+. The audience isn't there.
Disney has given them 2 movies (one of which flopped), several series (nearly all of which were quickly cancelled), and a presence on Youtube. And the muppets can't sell merchandise (which is why their dedicated store in DHS was taken over by Mickey and friends). What exactly could Disney do with them that hasn't been done already? What is there to "figure out"?
Muppets Most Wanted didn't flop because it was about the Muppets. Muppets Most Wanted flopped because A) it was up against Divergent and B) it was an awful movie.

I actually like the ABC Muppets series, but it had everything going against it: people flipped out because the press releases made them think it was gonna be, like, Avenue Q: The Series or something, with lots of cursing and raunchy humor. That's why the show didn't do better.

Muppets Now was pure crap.

As for Muppets Haunted Mansion and Muppets Mayhem, I don't know how good the Disney Plus ratings for them were, but I think they were pretty well-received.

And what are they doing with the Muppets right now? Nothing. Most of it apparently is because Bob Iger just doesn't give a crap about the franchise.
I have to wonder if it was Disney who told the crew behind the puppets to use profanity
It might've been. I know that at least one puppeteer (Steve Whitmire) had a problem with the show's writing.

And for what it's worth, there really wasn't that much profanity.

Nickm2022

Thoughts:
I personally would love if Lion King in Paris is Live Action and the AK ride is animated, that way both versions are unique.

Coco for DCA sure looks like Grand Fiesta. Personally I'm fine if they clone this one as if they build it at DCA first then copy it into EPCOT it would help with the crowd sizes (somewhat) and would fit well in there.

Avatar I still feel doesn't fit at DCA, however if it's in the Hollywoodland replacing Monsters Inc I think it works better there even though I have no clue how it would fit. However it looks really good and am happy it's a new version to differentiate the two.

Avengers Campus updates are great! they could have only done one lame and already announced ride but doubling down literitly and making the land bigger is awesome.

Cars, I hate it. I don't see how it will fit, even if it's a nature/wilderness themed. Would rather take another DVC lounge, that woody ride idea, Coco, or even a New Orleans overhaul.

Villains!!! That's all I have to say, go all out, the concept art is amazing, go big, I love it.

Tropical Americas looks great, so does Test Track 3.0 and the new lounges.

Monsters Inc is a great land for Hollywood, very curious where it's gonna go and the scale of it but the concept art and models look stunning.

Zootopia at AK is still weird, however I am open minded. If the show is about the ecosystem and how animals all interact with one another I think it fits. But if it's about Nick and Judy being cops busting lollypop sellers then I hate it. Just have to wait and see.

Overall the panel was ok, a lot of music, the Fortnite stuff was weird, and so on but my god this panel is a masterpiece compared to years before and the announcements are amazing overall (besides Cars)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
EPCOT's 50th is 2032... announcing anything for EPCOT (intended to open for their 50th) would be premature now (8 years out), but announcing it in 2 years (at the next D23) would seem logical... I think they'll have a ramp up to EPCOT's 50th... just need to put the attention on what is coming sooner now...
You’re gonna start that “for the 50th” stuff again?

They don’t really do that anymore

Pins and magnets, baby…bob won’t be down with much other than strained prunes by then

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To elaborate on the Iger vs Muppets point- Now, Mayhem and the specials were under the big bad Chapek. So there is proof that Iger genuinely dislikes The Muppets.

The recent Muppet Babies reboot was also popular, just saying...
Remember who really the muppets?

Napoleon wouldn’t like that now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom