Rumor D23 2024 WDW Rumors, Predictions & Discussion

Mr. Sullivan

Very interesting take. I feel like I haven't heard that one in a long time. I think that, as of recent, one sees a lot of praise for how the Disneyland Resort has made an outstanding use of its limited space. Plus, there's Pixar Pier, Guardians, Galaxy's Edge, the ToonTown revamp, MMRR, the Disneyland Forward plans... I feel like a has been going on at DL this last decade, good or not.

I felt WDW was turning out to be the stagnant one.
They do use space well that is true.

But of what you named kinda illustrates my overall feelings. It is rare these days that they get something truly new that is also unique to them. Pixar Pier is a retheme of an existing land. Guardians is a retheme of an existing attraction. Galaxy’s Edge is a clone land. ToonTown is great but is still just a redress of an existing land. MMRR is a cloned attraction (granted they got a cool queue!).

They do have Radiator Springs and WEBSlingers but other than what they have unique has either been there for years or is a clone or retheme.

Beyond that, they are behind on a tech front, not having anything close to some of the things WDW guests get on that front.

WDW has gotten a lot of unique investment and is getting even more. I think Disneyland deserves some large scale unique investment that is more than a single land or attraction.

Tha Realest

Failed by what metric?
The land has undoubtedly increased attendance to DHS. The rides are consistently popular. People are buying droids & lightsabers for hundreds of dollars. Oga’s is consistently full. I don’t see how this land is a failure.
Disneyland’s attendance actually decreased after SWGE opened, despite expanding capacity.

DHS’s attendance improved modestly, but again, it replaced a large swath of land / existing capacity.

“High wait times because underbuilt park “ =\= “consistently popular.”

But hey, it’s the third most popular park by a hair!

duncedoof

Failed by what metric?
The land has undoubtedly increased attendance to DHS. The rides are consistently popular. People are buying droids & lightsabers for hundreds of dollars. Oga’s is consistently full. I don’t see how this land is a failure.
The creative metric.

I love Rise of the Resistance. But the land just leaves a lot to be desired still.

flyerjab

I don’t know where to post stuff like this so I am putting here. Some more concept art for the Poly Tower DVC. The ones you can’t see are not new.
IMG_4528.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe by it failed to not continue to expand...People aren't interested in more from it I assume.
Well Bob never adds anything…have you noticed??

And the theme was doa. ill conceived. It’s not badly built (though underdelivers some)…it was poorly conceived. They knew it…they didn’t believe it…they built it. Now it will linger.
Disneyland’s attendance actually decreased after SWGE opened, despite expanding capacity.

DHS’s attendance improved modestly, but again, it replaced a large swath of land / existing capacity.

“High wait times because underbuilt park “ =\= “consistently popular.”

But hey, it’s the third most popular park by a hair!
For the cost and the amount of space they take up…they haven’t done enough.

They thought that slapping Star Wars on that would develop a consistent supply of whales booking just for that. That hasn’t happened at all. The empty disgraced Hotel is a good indicator of that.

Marginal attendance movement. And in the case of Orlando…the park with the most “new” stuff in a stagnant array of parks

BrianLo

I’m in the animation parks panel and slowly dying because it’s just a never ending spoiler session. I don’t know if it’s going anywhere new, but it’s nice to hear Michel who was Hong Kong’s Frozen director is on another of the animated upcoming projects.

Hopefully it’s for Disneyland…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Failed by what metric?
People will crawl through the desert toward a mirage…and when they’re so thirsty for something, they’ll drink the sand once they get there

Mr. Sullivan

That’s not correct - they were both designed at the same time and opened at the same time. Neither are a clone.

What kind of things?
They are for all intents and purposes the same land bar some slightly different architecture. The experience is the same. Attractions, characters, food, there is nothing unique to Disneyland’s GE. That is my whole point. They got this big fancy land and they are sharing it with another resort.

As for the tech, the big thing they’re behind on is Magic Band capabilities. At Disneyland, you cannot use it for tap to pay nor can hotel guests use it to enter their hotel room. It can only be used for tapping into the park and lightning lanes.

Speaking of lightning lanes, they’re being excluded (again) from the changes being made to the system so they’re being left with Genie+ exactly as it was in every way, just under a different name.

They don’t have the security devices WDW does either. They’re still using the old metal detectors and hand checking bags that WDW got rid of years ago instead of the x-ray scanners Florida now uses.

Disneyland cannot even update their own wait times in the app. They have to call Florida and have them do it for them because that’s where the teams that run the apps are located.

All of the attention for these pretty simple systems has been given to Florida but not California.

I am a WDW native 100%. Been there many times, am going again in January. I went to DL for the first time ever just a few months back. I don’t say this as DL fan jealous of Florida, I say it as just fact: There is a noticeable gap in the attention the company shows to WDW vs. DL. And it doesn’t entirely not make sense. I get it, WDW is the bigger and more visited resort. But if they mean what they say when they say they want to get DLR up to being the destination WDW is (which is part of the point of DL Forward), then they’ve got a lot of catching up to do.

That’s why I hope DL gets a ton at this D23. They need it.

Tha Realest

You are correct, SWGE was complete at Disneyland in January 2020 with the opening of Rise of the Resistance. Within 2 months attendance at the parked dropped to zero and didn't recover for over a year. ;)

Nice try. The low crowds were noted many, many months before Covid, and one person even lost their job because of it.

doctornick

They are for all intents and purposes the same land bar some slightly different architecture. The experience is the same. Attractions, characters, food, there is nothing unique to Disneyland’s GE. That is my whole point. They got this big fancy land and they are sharing it with another resort.

As for the tech, the big thing they’re behind on is Magic Band capabilities. At Disneyland, you cannot use it for tap to pay nor can hotel guests use it to enter their hotel room. It can only be used for tapping into the park and lightning lanes.

Speaking of lightning lanes, they’re being excluded (again) from the changes being made to the system so they’re being left with Genie+ exactly as it was in every way, just under a different name.

They don’t have the security devices WDW does either. They’re still using the old metal detectors and hand checking bags that WDW got rid of years ago instead of the x-ray scanners Florida now uses.

Disneyland cannot even update their own wait times in the app. They have to call Florida and have them do it for them because that’s where the teams that run the apps are located.

All of the attention for these pretty simple systems has been given to Florida but not California.

I am a WDW native 100%. Been there many times, am going again in January. I went to DL for the first time ever just a few months back. I don’t say this as DL fan jealous of Florida, I say it as just fact: There is a noticeable gap in the attention the company shows to WDW vs. DL.

I tend to agree that it s uneven. But it is DLR that gets the greater attention. They move heaven and earth to squeeze new stuff in there. They preserve “classics”. They get new entertainment more regularly.

You often see it in how the details are missed for Florida - likely because the decision markers are based in California. TSL without any shade? Shuttered restaurants in MK? Would DLR ever have a massive unused space just sitting there like WoL is in Epcot?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom