D23 2010 - "Gold" and "Silver" Memberships, Dontown Disney Discounts

EPCOT Explorer

Specifically a lounge like the Teddy Roosevelt Lounge at DisneySea....talk about luxury, large leather couches, cool A/C, expensive looking tables and decor....I truly said I wished every Disney park had this...but, like many parts of DisneySea...with the types of people that WDW gets, the experience would get ruined quickly :(

However, having a D23 members only lounge, hopefully adults without little kids and strollers everywhere would be a VERY welcome place for each Disney park to have.
I agree in full, and I think a lounge would increase the worth of D23 by a lot. Especially if they had it set up like that....It would certainly appeal to whom they seem to be aiming for, that's for sure!

Brian Noble

Personally, as someone who does not live locally, and can only go once a year, I look forward to my D23 magazine to keep the magic alive until the next trip.
Me too. I was given a membership for Father's Day. It wasn't something I would buy myself, but it was a very nice gift. I enjoy the magazines and little extras that come with them. I've never bought any "exclusive" merchandise, and have never attended any of the events. Even so, I expect that I will renew the magazine subscription. I enjoy getting each one, and it's been worth $75 to me. It might not be to many others though, and that's why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors.

EPCOT Explorer

OK, my D23 friends.... A question:

No impudence, no snarky remarks, just wondering...What is it about the magazine that makes it so great. What information can be found in that that can't be found here? Is it just having it in paper form? Is it to collect something?

Just wondering.

WDW Vacationer

No impudence, no snarky remarks, just wondering...What is it about the magazine that makes it so great. What information can be found in that that can't be found here? Is it just having it in paper form? Is it to collect something?

Just wondering.

I have a couple magazines,so I'll chime in.

The magazine offers many behind the scenes facts. There was 4 pages about Up,for example. All about where the idea ame from and how the film was made. They did this for the little Mermaid on Broadway too,among other things.

Also,the in depth look into both Dream Suites about the creation and inspiration behind them,behind the scenes with Tony Baxter in the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough.

There was also a large article about Donald Duck.

All these articles and others contain info you will NEVER find on the Internet.

The archives provides photos that show the rich history of the company,old comics,and of course info! Have you ever seen the telegraph sent from Walt to Roy after the loss of Oswald on his way home? What about Walt Disney where the Berlin Wall was built?

The photos of current events are STUNNING. Beautiful,capturing Disney.

And yes,I do also feel that there is sone collectible value to these fantastic magazines.

EPCOT Explorer

I have a couple magazines,so I'll chime in.

The magazine offers many behind the scenes facts. There was 4 pages about Up,for example. All about where the idea ame from and how the film was made. They did this fit the little Mermaid on Broadway too,among other things.

Also,the in depth look into both Dream Suites about the creation and inspiration behind them,behind the scenes with Tony Baxter in the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough.

There was also a large article about Donald Duck.

All these articles and others contain info you will NEVER find on the Internet.

The archives provides photos that show the rich history of the company,old comics,and of course info! Have you ever seen the telegraph sent from Walt to Roy after the loss of Oswald on his way home? What about Walt Disney there the Berlin Wall was built?

The photos if current events are STUNNING. Beautiful,capturing Disney.

And yes,I do also feel that there is sone collectible value to these fantastic magazines.

OK, I admit, it does sound nice. :D :lol: Just not worth 15 bucks because of the two things I bolded. Yes, this information is readily available once it's released, and yes...I have. ;)

WDW Vacationer

OK, I admit, it does sound nice. :D :lol: Just not worth 15 bucks because of the two things I bolded. Yes, this information is readily available once it's released, and yes...I have. ;)

Looking through them at the Disney Store does not count!:fork::lookaroun

I know it's expensive,it's why I didn't buy the 3rd one. But it really. Is worth the money.

WDWFigment

Just wondering.

The answer here is the same for all of the Disney magazines (fan and D23): tangibility. It has absolutely nothing to do with unavailable information. To appeal to wider audiences, almost all of these magazines usually have articles that are a bit more broad or basic than you'd find in an online fansite article. I still read and enjoy them, I'd just rather get information online.

However, there is something to be said for having a nice publication to pick up and look at when you're not at your computer, to look at in the car or on plane, to look at outside in the sun, etc.. It's along the same lines as the souvenir books Disney makes. I've purchased many via eBay; not because they are loaded with information I don't have, but because they are a nice "dose of Disney" with a tangible characteristic.

That said, I do not think the magazine is worth $15 per issue. I'd peg it at $10.

krankenstein

Just wondering.

There is something about the feel of parchment between ones fingers that creates a tangibleness to the item that an electronic source cannot provide. :king:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
No laptop, desktop, e-book or any other electronic form of reading material will ever replace print media in my view.

EPCOT Explorer

The answer here is the same for all of the Disney magazines (fan and D23): tangibility. It has absolutely nothing to do with unavailable information. To appeal to wider audiences, almost all of these magazines usually have articles that are a bit more broad or basic than you'd find in an online fansite article. I still read and enjoy them, I'd just rather get information online.

However, there is something to be said for having a nice publication to pick up and look at when you're not at your computer, to look at in the car or on plane, to look at outside in the sun, etc.. It's along the same lines as the souvenir books Disney makes. I've purchased many via eBay; not because they are loaded with information I don't have, but because they are a nice "dose of Disney" with a tangible characteristic.

That said, I do not think the magazine is worth $15 per issue. I'd peg it at $10.

There is something about the feel of parchment between ones fingers that creates a tangibleness to the item that an electronic source cannot provide. :king:

No laptop, desktop, e-book or any other electronic form of reading material will ever replace print media in my view.
Thankfully! :lol:

And good, that's what I was hoping to hear. :lookaroun:lol:

Interesting that none of you mentioned the worth of that...:lookaroun:lol:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Interesting that none of you mentioned the worth of that...:lookaroun:lol:
What's the value of a rainbow after a storm? A beautiful sunset? :shrug:

The fact is, there is a value to a well-produced compilation of information and pictures. Can that same information be retrieved electronically almost instantly on the internet? Sure, probably even before publication. Can the photos be retrieved either in original digital form or at least high-quality scan? Probably. In my view, the craftsmanship and design that goes into the printed page is worth more than "getting it all from the 'net".

Is this particular magazine worth what they charge for a D23 membership? To me yes. In theory, I could get the magazine cheaper by having a friend in the States drop by B&N and pick it up and mail it, but then I'm dependant on them remembering and paying for the mag and shipping in hope I'll reimburse them [I have friends that trust me enough to do so, but asking for that trust four times a year is a bit much]. I could drive to Ogdensburg and buy it myself, but the gas to do so would likely negate any savings. Am I thrilled at paying well over $100US/year for a magazine? Not particularly, but I like it and will subscribe.

The freebies are a nice touch, but most are things I likely wouldn't buy otherwise.

EPCOT Explorer

What's the value of a rainbow after a storm? A beautiful sunset? :shrug:

The fact is, there is a value to a well-produced compilation of information and pictures. Can that same information be retrieved electronically almost instantly on the internet? Sure, probably even before publication. Can the photos be retrieved either in original digital form or at least high-quality scan? Probably. In my view, the craftsmanship and design that goes into the printed page is worth more than "getting it all from the 'net".

Is this particular magazine worth what they charge for a D23 membership? To me yes. In theory, I could get the magazine cheaper by having a friend in the States drop by B&N and pick it up and mail it, but then I'm dependant on them remembering and paying for the mag and shipping in hope I'll reimburse them [I have friends that trust me enough to do so, but asking for that trust four times a year is a bit much]. I could drive to Ogdensburg and buy it myself, but the gas to do so would likely negate any savings. Am I thrilled at paying well over $100US/year for a magazine? Not particularly, but I like it and will subscribe.

The freebies are a nice touch, but most are things I likely wouldn't buy otherwise.

Design and craftsmanship of a mass produced magazine glued and printed by a machine? :lookaroun Not following you there.

If you are going for the design and artistic aspect, then I have you. It is a nice looking publication, even though I find it's actual information myopic and skin deep. But the graphics are nice, and it establishes itself nicely as a "picture book" of sorts. :lol: Worth all they money? Nope. The information I can get (While not in a nice looking pamphlet) is still the same.

I guess that's just the way of things.

EPCOT Explorer

Evan, how many Epcot trinkets do you have?

In all honesty, how many of them weren't mass produced at one point?

A room full, but I don't admire them for their craftsmanship. :lol:

I admire them for the "History" pertaining to the park that they either come from, or represent, not if they were mass produced or made, or what have you.

jakeman

A room full, but I don't admire them for their craftsmanship. :lol:

I admire them for the "History" pertaining to the park that they either come from, or represent.
Fair enough.

Why can't you acknowledge that the D23 magazine serves the same purpose for others?

I don't understand your vehement opposition to D23. Everytime a thread about it pops up you trot in waving your D64 flag and claiming whatever move they have made to be the worst thing ever.

If you don't see the value, dont partake, but don't begrudge others that do. I don't on both accounts.

EPCOT Explorer

Fair enough.

Why can't you acknowledge that the D23 magazine serves the same purpose for others?

I don't understand your vehement opposition to D23. Everytime a thread about it pops up you trot in waving your D64 flag and claiming whatever move they have made to be the worst thing ever.

If you don't see the value, dont partake, but don't begrudge others that do. I don't on both accounts.

I acknowledge that people like it. Never said I didn't.

I hardly call this vehement, though yes, it is opposition. If you don't understand, please read my posts. I fail to see the value or the worth of something that seemingly seems to take your money but give nothing in return. Obviously.
Also, if you read the first post I made in this thread there is warm praise coming from me on D23's recent lowering of membership. I'm all for that, even though there still are a litany of issues to work out, and as you have seen, posted about.

Jake, I will partake in whatever thread I see fit. :) I wish to have my voice heard on this matter, seeing that Disney DOES listen, and that's that. I will never censor a opinion just because it is a seemingly unpopular one.

Begrudge? I don't begrudge. I respectfully disagree. Monty and I have a basis in this, and we are friendly despite our discussion here. He knows that. I know that. And I honestly don't think anything less of anyone who does disagree and who does join D23. Why should I care if they DON'T have a problem with the program when I do? :lol: Makes them no less of a friend, a forum member, a Disney fan, or a person. I never implicated that.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Design and craftsmanship of a mass produced magazine glued and printed by a machine? :lookaroun Not following you there.
Craftsmanship does not only apply to the physical assembly of paper and glue. As you reflect later, you recognise the intent of my statement.

The craft of the written word, the artistry of page layout and the flow of the magazine are all things that lose something when cut and paste onto a website. I prefer art to just "facts and pictures". The things I look for in a magazine cannot be replicated on the internet. To suggest that everything in it is available elsewhere is to suggest that you are too shallow to understand what value I derive.

And sadly, you're satisfied...

jakeman

I acknowledge that people like it. Never said I didn't.

I hardly call this vehement, though yes, it is opposition. If you don't understand, please read my posts. I fail to see the value or the worth of something that seemingly seems to take your money but give nothing in return. Obviously.

Also, if you read the first post I made in this thread there is warm praise coming from me on D23's recent lowering of membership. I'm all for that, even though there still are a litany of issues to work out, and as you have seen, posted about.
It was a backhanded complement at best. It's like telling a fat girl her face doesn't make her look like a hippo but her legs do.

It does give you something in return. You just don't see the value in it. You get a subscription to a quarterly magazine and access to several events. Other members here have also enumerated the various other items they have received through their membership.

While the value of these items plus the membership may not add up to $75 in your mind, to say they take your money and offer nothing in return is at best a misrepresentation to bloster your arguement and at worst an outright lie.

You'll also find in life you have to pay money for the "privilage" to pay more money down the road often. Sometimes it will be out of choice like D23, sometimes it won't.

Jake, I will partake in whatever thread I see fit. :) I wish to have my voice heard on this matter, seeing that Disney DOES listen, and that's that. I will never censor a opinion just because it is a seemingly unpopular one.
I never said or requested that you don't post. That's not really my right. What I meant was that you not joining D23 says much more than anything you could ever write in this little corner of the internet.

If you really feel that strongly about the D23 program you should address your concerns with the company itself, not continuously point out its flaws on a fan forum.

Begrudge? I don't begrudge. I respectfully disagree. Monty and I have a basis in this, and we are friendly despite out discussion here. He knows that. I know that. And I honestly don't think anything less of anyone who does disagree and who does join D23. Why should I care if they DON'T have a problem with the program when I do? :lol: Makes them no less of a friend, a forum member, a Disney fan, or a person. I never implicated that.
Really? Because to be honest, to me at least, it doesn't come across that way.

EPCOT Explorer

Craftsmanship does not only apply to the physical assembly of paper and glue. As you reflect later, you recognise the intent of my statement.

The craft of the written word, the artistry of page layout and the flow of the magazine are all things that lose something when cut and paste onto a website. I prefer art to just "facts and pictures". The things I look for in a magazine cannot be replicated on the internet. To suggest that everything in it is available elsewhere is to suggest that you are too shallow to understand what value I derive.

And sadly, you're satisfied...

Quite the opposite. I'm looking for something to transcend all the glitz and glitter. Something a bit more real, as I said. I'm looking for a real look at things, not just at them. Not just one take on things. Pretty pictures are nice and all, but that's what I call "shallow". I'm looking for something intellectual.

Nerdy to the last, I suppose. :D

Satisfied? Not in the slightest!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom