D23 2010 - "Gold" and "Silver" Memberships, Dontown Disney Discounts

EPCOT Explorer

It was a backhanded complement at best. It's like telling a fat girl her face doesn't make her look like a hippo but her legs do.

I have no idea what this is pertaining to, now...
It does give you something in return. You just don't see the value in it. You get a subscription to a quarterly magazine and access to several events. Other members here have also enumerated the various other items they have received through their membership.
And hence, opposition and me posting. Is there something wrong there?
While the value of these items plus the membership may not add up to $75 in your mind, to say they take your money and offer nothing in return is at best a misrepresentation to bloster your arguement and at worst an outright lie.

It's an opinion. I don't think that that's a lie, though I will admit to you that it is a overstatement that's partially based in my opinionated fact. There's nothing about this that interests me, or tempts my 75$. Hence, nothing. :lol:
You'll also find in life you have to pay money for the "privilage" to pay more money down the road often. Sometimes it will be out of choice like D23, sometimes it won't.
Something tells me I've already encountered those. Something also tells me that some were necessary and some were all fluff.:lol:

And yes, it appears that I've chosen to invest in a large one.
I never said or requested that you don't post. That's not really my right. What I meant was that you not joining D23 says much more than anything you could ever write in this little corner of the internet.
Quite right, and I am sorry if I took it that way, that's just how I read your original post.
If you really feel that strongly about the D23 program you should address your concerns with the company itself, not continuously point out its flaws on a fan forum.
Done ages ago, my friend. :)
Really? Because to be honest, to me at least, it doesn't come across that way.

Well, that's to you. Monty and I have spoken prior to this, and we both know where we are coming from. We disagree, we post, we leave it at that. I'm quite happy to be able to call him a friend and at the same time know that we can have a enlightened conversation, even if we both disagree.

I have thought that we, too, often do much of the same, no? :)

EDIT: Well, gentlemen, it IS late. I trust I'll have some questions to answer in the morning? :lol: Have a good evening.

Horizonstta

I don't think that that's a lie, though I will admit to you that it is a overstatement that's partially based in my opinionated fact. There's nothing about this that interests me, or tempts my 75$. Hence, nothing. :lol:

No, your view is 100% opinion. You don't like it and you believe there is no value to the membership. Obviously, you are entitled to this opinion. But others see value in it and, to them, it's worth the cost. Personally, I find your constant "opposition" (as you call it) somewhat annoying, as I generally have to skim through multiple posts, each one either stating why you hate D23 (again) or why others are basically fools for being a member. It's your opinion, nothing more.

EPCOT Explorer

No, your view is 100% opinion. You don't like it and you believe there is no value to the membership. Obviously, you are entitled to this opinion. But others see value in it and, to them, it's worth the cost. Personally, I find your constant "opposition" (as you call it) somewhat annoying, as I generally have to skim through multiple posts, each one either stating why you hate D23 (again) or why others are basically fools for being a member. It's your opinion, nothing more.
I have to do the same with the opposing views, that's the nature of a forum. My apologies.

Word of the day-tolerance.

Some people think D23 is worth it,some don't. It's all a matter of opinion.
Thank you! Finally someone gets it. :D

And even with the difference of opinion, I think it is quite easy to remain friendly and to have a discussion. :)

WDWFigment

Evan - no offense, but I gave up the substantive debate in this thread because I felt that you and EpcotServo were overstating your positions (and I absolutely hate quitting because I equate doing that to implicitly acknowledging that I was "beat" - even though that's not the case). While you two are obviously intelligent and your analytical abilities high, the arguments you're making here are based on premises that either are inaccurate, or at least inconsistent with being "fans" of one of the largest conglomerates in the world.

My point is that I think jakeman's post is completely on the money. Any debate on this with you seems somewhat pointless because you've already made up your mind on the topic and will just adjust your argument to suit your conclusion. You're smart so this works (kudos); however, it's not fun for those debating with you.

EDIT: I know it's lame of me to knock your arguments without actually trying to refute them, but as I said, I gave up on that (see above). Yeah, I get ed when someone says to me, "you're wrong" and I ask why, and they say, "just because", and I'm sure you do too, but that's all you're getting. :)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Yeah, I get ed when someone says to me, "you're wrong" and I ask why, and they say, "just because", and I'm sure you do too, but that's all you're getting. :)
:shrug:

I use that with Morgan all the time. Well, actually it's more "because I said so", but the general idea is the same... :lookaroun

Of course, now that he's 14 it works less than when he was, say 7, but it still works. :cool:

EPCOT Explorer

Evan - no offense, but I gave up the substantive debate in this thread because I felt that you and EpcotServo were overstating your positions (and I absolutely hate quitting because I equate doing that to implicitly acknowledging that I was "beat" - even though that's not the case). While you two are obviously intelligent and your analytical abilities high, the arguments you're making here are based on premises that either are inaccurate, or at least inconsistent with being "fans" of one of the largest conglomerates in the world.

My point is that I think jakeman's post is completely on the money. Any debate on this with you seems somewhat pointless because you've already made up you're mind on the topic and will just adjust your argument to suit your conclusion. You're smart so this works (kudos).

EDIT: I know it's lame of me to knock your arguments without actually trying to refute them, but as I said, I gave up on that (see above). Yeah, I get ed when someone says to me, "you're wrong" and I ask why, and they say, "just because", and I'm sure you do too, but that's all you're getting. :)
I do not believe that my arguments are inaccurate nor accurate, seeing that they are based in a subjective opinion.

I've not made up my mind...Yet. If that were the case, there would be no posting on this issue for me. I'd have given up...which, like you, is something I do NOT do. :D In the end, I really want to see this D23 Program work, and work better, and for more people. I'm happy that it already works for some.

Not lame of you at all, it's your right to do so, as is my right to post. :lol: I certainly don't hope that my responses are "just becuases'" seeing that I gave reasons, albeit ones dressed in opinion. I think everyone does that.

Now then, my exit. I'm not going to actively post in this thread (unless warranted or needed to), seeing that all this discussion is drawing away from something positive that D23 did, as they draw closer to making this a better aspect of their business.

I just hope they continue the trend.

Thurp

People buy yearly subscriptions to magazines all of the time. Or they used to, since many of them are closing. Many magazines give you a gift for subscribing; football phone anybody?

Or at least that's how I look at D23. A yearly subscription to a magazine, not a club of any sorts. They could have just as easily advertised it as "12 month subscription to D23 Magazine, free gift with paid subscription!"

I'm just afraid they sent the wrong message by sending a certificate, a card, promising mysterious perks and calling it a club.

EpcotServo

I don't share all my opinions on this with EE, so I can't speak for him nor can he for me, but my premise that I base my arguments on is pretty solid and foolproof, and I quote from a certain Robot, is that D23 can "Bite my shiny metal a-s."

:lol:

And, as much sarcasm as I gave you guys when you guys said the fee is for the magizine, which I totally understand, please explain to me what the other $40 of your membership is? They've made it pretty clear that the Magazine is only half of the $80, so what's the other fourty smackaroos paying for?

I'm assuming it's for the right to call yourself "D23", the self-serving worship certificate, and the most certainly not free "extras" as well as the "opportunity" to buy tickets to events and get a discount on a once a year convention.

I think this whole silver thing pretty clearly shows what you're paying for. A magazine, and your own special cult name and number. :lookaroun :lol:

People buy yearly subscriptions to magazines all of the time. Or they used to, since many of them are closing. Many magazines give you a gift for subscribing; football phone anybody?

Or at least that's how I look at D23. A yearly subscription to a magazine, not a club of any sorts. They could have just as easily advertised it as "12 month subscription to D23 Magazine, free gift with paid subscription!"

I'm just afraid they sent the wrong message by sending a certificate, a card, promising mysterious perks and calling it a club.

^I support this post. Well said.

WDW Vacationer

Servo,the 4 magazines are equal to 60 dollars. Leaving 15 dollars for discounts,gifts with magazines,card,and certificate.

D23 is not buying fandom. It is buying a supplement to that fandom. It is nit necessary,nor does it make Monty,myself,or any other member a greater fan than EpcotServo or EPCOTExplorer.

EpcotServo

Servo,the 4 magazines are equal to 60 dollars. Leaving 15 dollars for discounts,gifts with magazines,card,and certificate.

Then what's the 40 dollars for silver worth if that stuff is only worth $15, like you said?

Anyways, run circles around this all you like you guys, I've stirred the pot and had my fun.
:lol: :wave:

WDW Vacationer

Then what's the 40 dollars for silver worth if that stuff is only worth $15, like you said?

Anyways, run circles around this all you like you guys, I've stirred the pot and had my fun.
:lol: :wave:

Oh,thought you were talking about gold.

I think I've said this,but yes,I believe the silver should be 10-20 dollars.

jakeman

Well, that's to you. Monty and I have spoken prior to this, and we both know where we are coming from. We disagree, we post, we leave it at that. I'm quite happy to be able to call him a friend and at the same time know that we can have a enlightened conversation, even if we both disagree.

I have thought that we, too, often do much of the same, no? :)
Of course.

While the typed words may come across as heated and pointed I think most of us realize that even the most outrageous opinion are usually met with nothing more than a large eyeroll behind the keyboard.

Your opinion of D23 is by far the least outrageous one around here! :wave:

WDW Vacationer

My Certificate and Magazine came today!

The Walt Disney Christmas card is very nice. I look forward to more from the collection. The certificate was amazing! I love the hand-drawn look. The letter from the D23 GR director and Iger were nice to get too.

This magazine (winter) has some great content and I can't wait to read it in full.

My only complaint,is that the corner of my magazine is bent. This is the second time. Is this happening to others? I do not, however,blame this solelyupon D23,the Postal Service takes sone blame,however improved pajaging would be nice.

techiegsy

Well... I've had quite the 4 pages of stuff to wade through but here's my take on matters...

Well, I think this is a step in the right direction, but who wants to pay $35 for a Certificate and Card.... It defiantly needs to be lower. I would defiantly consider membership, because from what I saw of the magazine when I last visited the world, it looked nice, but I still didn't buy it, Why? It was too expensive for a magazine of that size. And then there's the HUGE international shipping cost, almost doubling the price, and for the fact that all the Expos and events are in the US, I decided not become a member. However I am currently looking at investing in Euro Disney Stock and becoming a member of the share holders club (To me a far more worthwhile investment).

What I think they need to do as they have Parks, and Movies worldwide is make the "club" more international. Having events in Europe, Japan etc.... and then have the magazine available to all these, without the international shipping cost, and the lack of benefits to "overseas" members. It shows promise. But there is a lot of work to be done...

As to the loyalty point/reward scheme Servo mentioned, I think this would work, the more you spend in the park the more points you earn, and you build these up till you can get a free figment plush or what ever, if you spend enough (And it would be a lot) you may be able to book hotels using it. I know many companies that run this, Many card companies use "Air Miles" as you spend you gain point to be exchanges for flights. Or even more relevant are the "Dividend" points you earn in supermarkets, as you spent you earn points and these build up for you to spend, sometimes saving you up to 4p on every £1, which soon adds up!

There's a sucker born every minute and Disney seems to be a magnet to so many of them.

The D23 scam is just that a scam. It preys on the same people that plopped down money for a Walk Around The World tile (or whatever that stupid thing was), A hideous etching on the tiger teeth/tank trap known as Leave a Leagcy in front of Spaceship Earth, the middle aged no hopers that still buy pins and sit out at the parks all day to trade them, or the people that get ripped off staying at the Grand Floridian.

Disney is great at manipulation and it constantly amazes me at how many people fall for it. It's as if they guilt trip people into doing things they would never do but because they want to be part of something they succumb to the power of the mouse.

It's quite funny to watch people fall for it on a daily basis.

This statment is far to over the top, D23 and the many other things Disney sell/provide are not at all scams, Scams are; A ploy by a shyster to raise money, A fraudulent business scheme which uses confidence tricks, or con for short which is an attempt to intentionally mislead a person or persons usually with the goal of financial or other gain.

So D23 Being a Club or Magazine subscription, which clearly states what you will receive is not a Scam, There's no tricks involved. And really, the "Middle Aged No Hopers", is not exactly relevant to this thread.

Brian Noble

No impudence, no snarky remarks, just wondering...What is it about the magazine that makes it so great. What information can be found in that that can't be found here? Is it just having it in paper form? Is it to collect something?
Sorry, was working.

I don't know that I'd call it "so great". I'd call the magazines plus the little freebies "worth the money." That's partly because I'm in a position where $75 over the course of a year isn't really going to be missed, so that contributes to the notion of "worth".

There are several things about the magazine that I like. It's a cross-section of material from various parts of the company that someone has taken decent care to select, compose, and produce. There's something pleasant about not having to go find it, but having it be just arrive---and there are things I read there that I probably wouldn't take the time to try to search for, but are interesting. I don't find much in the theme park articles that I didn't know already, but I do in other areas of the company.

The production value is good---layout and art selection are very good, and the physical artifact is perhaps not $15 good in absolute terms, but then again the "deluxe" resorts aren't $400 nice in a head-to-head comparison with top-shelf resorts, either. As with most other things Mouse, it's all in context, and it's not just function but form as well.

But, what really makes it worth the extra $15 are the little extras. They are worth nothing---and honestly, I'm not even "collecting" them. They are like little ephemeral surprises that bring a smile to my day when they arrive, and are neat and fun to look at and enjoy. It's an extra $3.75 per issue---and it brings me more happiness than my double-shot medium cap at ERC, for about the same price. What's the harm in that?

Edited to add: for what it's worth, I wouldn't ever by a tile/legacy/what-have-you, and don't pay Disney prices to stay in Disney resorts. When I can get an exchange into a 1BR or 2BR DVC unit with my el-cheapo resale timeshares, I'm happy to do it. Otherwise, I just stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a 2BR condo, overlooking Epcot, for 1/3-1/5 the price of a DVC stay (depending on if you own or rent). But, this $75 is a nice little splurge that I do enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom