D23 2010 - "Gold" and "Silver" Memberships, Dontown Disney Discounts

WDW Vacationer

Why? Good talk here. As long as it's respectful, it's all good.

Exactly. It's the "You Belong To" moment. All that little nitpicky stuff out of Ingroups and Outgroups in Social Psychology. And of course, with money involved...:lol:

I wish that they would bring back stuff like the Magic Kingdom Club. Or the Mickey Mouse Club! That was less expensive, had more worth, and really did have more reach.

Honestly...D23 seems limited to nutcases like us.:lol:

...Which certainly says a lot about it's purpose and venue.

A couple comments I thought would cause an issue,I don't know....

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
:lol:

Certainly how the CM I spoke to in Pecos Bills made it out to be. All this from him noticing my WDWM button. :lol:
I find it interesting that the CM mentioned it. Many of the CMs that saw my D23 Hat had to ask another CM "What's D23 mean?" :lol:

Seriously though- D23 remains a thinly veiled pyramid scheme to substitute what would REALLY BE NEEDED, which is a D23 that costs nothing and rewards spending at the parks, the Disney Stores, Movies, and participating locations. Frequent Flying Miles that reward loyal spending towards Disney.

Am I reading that part of your post right? You want it to be free and for you to get something? Companies don't work like that :lol:

csm

:sohappy:

Well said, Servo. :D

Oh, oh! But you have to call me by a special title because I now belong to your exclusive group!!

I'm going to have a premium group that costs $70 to join. I'm a professional graphic designer so I can say in all confidence that the certificate you get (only added perk to the upgraded class) will be of a higher quality than D23s. It also comes framed, and with an invoice for the cost of the frame plus shipping. That's *three things* you get in my ugraded class! Again I ask, who's in?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have no problem with it not appealing to anyone, but I don't understand the reasoning here.
Indeed. Maybe I`m just lucky in my reasoning.

What I do resent is the whole desire to milk more money out of eager (or blinkered) fans. They`ve seen a niche in the market and are aiming to exploit it.

WDW Vacationer

I would love to see a regional Expo of sorts. The exhibits travelling around the country after the main one. No celebrities/officials,just the exhibits,which were cool.

csm

What I do resent is the whole desire to milk more money out of eager (or blinkered) fans. They`ve seen a niche in the market and are aiming to exploit it.

The simple truth of the matter is what they've seen is the popularity of fan meets organized by Mouse Planet, the Disneyana stuff, etc, and they want to exploit that and in turn make themselves the only game in town.

It's their product, so they most certainly have every *right* to, but to do it under the guise of "THIS IS FOR YOU, THE FANS!" is complete and utter BS. If you want to sell a premium "fan card" then fine, but sell it as that. Don't pretend to be doing us any favors when you're clearly just after seventy-five of my hard-earned dollars.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Seriously though- D23 remains a thinly veiled pyramid scheme to substitute what would REALLY BE NEEDED, which is a D23 that costs nothing and rewards spending at the parks, the Disney Stores, Movies, and participating locations. Frequent Flying Miles that reward loyal spending towards Disney.

Spending money to be called a number and for the right to pay EVEN MORE MONEY to get into events and commemorative framed polo shirts, remains a genius move to funnel money from a core brand with a VERY minimal expense. (Seriously? Disney Magazine? Tours of already existing locations, driven by high demand and low attendance allowed? Disneyana Convention rezombiefied and resold as premium? Free website with zero return investment for those who are members? Buttons and E-Flyers?)

Don't kid yourself people. If you like it, great. But you're paying to be in a corporate branded-Cult.

I recommend joining a free cult, or a cult that rewards spending, instead of a cult that makes you pay to get in, then pay for all your other "benefits" in the door.

I still find the whole thing hilarious as heck- And am beginning to appreciate why they made it, seeing as how well it's sold compared to the idea of actually rewarding customers. Like I said- It's marketing/overselling genius.
- Not remotely a pyramid scheme... You might wanna look that up.

- Why would one tour locations that don't exist?

- The D23 website has lots of stuff readily [and freely] available to members and non-members alike. Thus disproving that you have to be a "Good fan" to benefit from D23.

- The Expo was available to any fans as well, D23 members simply got a slight discount.

Yes D23 is a marketing tool. If I were a Manager at Disney and one of my staff came to me with a program that didn't have a profit or lead to ancillary profit somehow, I'd fire them. The question is whether the people who buy in get enough value for what they pay to warrant continuing to pay... If they do and the company makes a profit, it's win/win.

Could Disney run another program in the "loyalty rewards" realm? Perhaps, but that's not what D23 was designed or intended to do.

EPCOT Explorer

I find it interesting that the CM mentioned it. Many of the CMs that saw my D23 Hat had to ask another CM "What's D23 mean?" :lol:

Am I reading that part of your post right? You want it to be free and for you to get something? Companies don't work like that :lol:
Smart Companies work like that. ;)

Minimal entry fee, you spend money on things, you get a reward that makes you spend more. Like Servo mentioned...Skymiles.

Lucky you on that CM. This one would not stop. :lol: "But it's the OFFICIAL Community not like that website...How could you not do that, man? You like this place, right?"

"It's neither a community, I'm not doing it, and I don't like it here, I love it. I think that says enough. I just need some extra napkins..."

This seriously happened. No lie. No paraphrasing. I was pretty shocked...until it confirmed what I had thought. Even more so when only a few hours later a CM at Buzz SRS saw the button and we got to talking from Dreamflight, to SM, to everything..and then to D23. The conversation went on for a bit, but it followed the same route, but she was MUCH less abrasive. I seriously do think that they were coached to say that, seeing that it happened again at DHS last week.

I'm going to have a premium group that costs $70 to join. I'm a professional graphic designer so I can say in all confidence that the certificate you get (only added perk to the upgraded class) will be of a higher quality than D23s. It also comes framed, and with an invoice for the cost of the frame plus shipping. That's *three things* you get in my ugraded class! Again I ask, who's in?
I AM SO IN. I don't even want to see if it'll get better over time. I want to join on the first day this is open!:lol:
Indeed. Maybe I`m just lucky in my reasoning.

It took them long enough! :lol: How long have Disney fans been on the internet? It's far too late to make a bid to scoop us all up now, especially with there being so much..."independent thought" on their operations. ;)

WDWFigment

- The D23 website has lots of stuff readily [and freely] available to members and non-members alike. Thus disproving that you have to be a "Good fan" to benefit from D23.

- The Expo was available to any fans as well, D23 members sinply got a slight discount.

Yes D23 is a marketing tool. If I were a Manager at Disney and one of my staff came to me with a program that didn't have a profit or lead to ancillary profit somehow, I'd fire them. The question is whether the people who buy in get enough value for what they pay to warrant continuing to pay... If they do and the company makes a profit, it's win/win.

Could Disney run another program in the "loyalty rewards" realm? Perhaps, but that's not what D23 was designed or intended to do.

But, but...you've gotta fight the man, man! If you're part of something commercialized, you're part of the problem (as we're on a Disney fan site). :rolleyes:

When I first saw his post, I was hoping you'd respond so I didn't have to (football called), so I'm glad to see this.

I would agree with you in that a big part of the fan backlash is that D23 isn't what everyone else would make it. Well, of course it's not. It can't do or be everything.

I'll also add that I think some folks are reading way too deeply into the advertising. "Are you 23" was a cryptic message aimed at producing positive viral results. If the club is called 23, wouldn't it make sense to create a question that might infer it has to do with age to create (false) speculation.

Of course other advertising material advertises the product. That's precisely the nature of advertising material. Would you expect the Art of Disney to put signs up next to expensive prints assuaging concerns that people are less of fans if they don't buy the prints? "This print is over one thousand dollars. Please do not feel bad or less of a fan if you cannot afford it." Should I start complaining because I had to pay entrance to the park, and then, on top of that, they charge me for the print? I already paid for entrance to the park, why on earth should I pay for something additional of value!?!?

Animaniac93-98

I'll start a cult right now -and my membership fees will only be $30. That's a whole $5 less, and I'll email you three times a week! Who's in?

I dunno, do I get a plastic card or litho with an image I don't necessarily care about? Or what about the merch I could get elsewhere for less without the membership, but feel like paying you more for it?

EPCOT Explorer

The simple truth of the matter is what they've seen is the popularity of fan meets organized by Mouse Planet, the Disneyana stuff, etc, and they want to exploit that and in turn make themselves the only game in town.

It's their product, so they most certainly have every *right* to, but to do it under the guise of "THIS IS FOR YOU, THE FANS!" is complete and utter BS. If you want to sell a premium "fan card" then fine, but sell it as that. Don't pretend to be doing us any favors when you're clearly just after seventy-five of my hard-earned dollars.
That is EXACTLY it. It's just taken them WAY too long to latch onto this idea. Look at the Parks Blog. Loot at the FB Pages. The Twitter Accounts. Disney no longer wants us on sites like this, because...well...this is REALLY "Where The Magic Lives" (Heh! ;)). This is where we can complain, formulate why and how things are wrong in the parks, and have a free voice for changing what's going on in there.

At the heart of this seems to be a ploy (bad connotation? How's "plan?") to be to recapture the fan base OUT of the parks so as to reduce dissonance against them in informational terms.

- The Expo was available to any fans as well, D23 members sinply got a slight discount.

But do you get thos FANTASTIC freebies right? :lol: ;)

And, you are exactly right. It's just that it seems that many do not see that value, and honestly, that's a problem, seeing that it's already limiting itself to just us. Just the fans.

Spending money to be called a number and for the right to pay EVEN MORE MONEY to get into events and commemorative framed polo shirts, remains a genius move to funnel money from a core brand with a VERY minimal expense. (Seriously? Disney Magazine? Tours of already existing locations, driven by high demand and low attendance allowed? Disneyana Convention rezombiefied and resold as premium? Free website with zero return investment for those who are members? Buttons and E-Flyers?)

Don't kid yourself people. If you like it, great. But you're paying to be in a corporate branded-Cult.

I recommend joining a free cult, or a cult that rewards spending, instead of a cult that makes you pay to get in, then pay for all your other "benefits" in the door.

I still find the whole thing hilarious as heck- And am beginning to appreciate why they made it, seeing as how well it's sold compared to the idea of actually rewarding customers. Like I said- It's marketing/overselling genius.

In defense of the club at least; while I'm not a member the extras seem worth $35 at least. My quibble was always more the fact that shipping outside the US is unfair, Disney Stores worldwide is back under Disney's control: why cant they all sell D23 so everyone can benefit?

I was almost sold on silver due to it being affordable and having a US alternative address. I almost brought it today and went to paypal then....

"This buyer doesnt accept sales from non-US paypal accounts"

Really? Thanks a bundle Disney : (

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
When I first saw his post, I was hoping you'd respond so I didn't have to (football called), so I'm glad to see this.

Oh, SURE! Make me do all the work! :lol:

You have any idea how hard it is to type all that crap with toes?!?!?!? :fork:

:animwink:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
In defense of the club at least; while I'm not a member the extras seem worth $35 at least. My quibble was always more the fact that shipping outside the US is unfair, Disney Stores worldwide is back under Disney's control: why cant they all sell D23 so everyone can benefit?

I was almost sold on silver due to it being affordable and having a US alternative address. I almost brought it today and went to paypal then....

"This buyer doesnt accept sales from non-US paypal accounts"

Really? Thanks a bundle Disney : (
So pay with a credit card. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

But, but...you've gotta fight the man, man! If you're part of something commercialized, you're part of the problem (as we're on a Disney fan site). :rolleyes:

I would agree with you in that a big part of the fan backlash is that D23 isn't what everyone else would make it. Well, of course it's not. It can't do or be everything.

I'll also add that I think some folks are reading way too deeply into the advertising. "Are you 23" was a cryptic message aimed at producing positive viral results. If the club is called 23, wouldn't it make sense to create a question that might infer it has to do with age to create (false) speculation.

Of course other advertising material advertises the product. That's precisely the nature of advertising material. Would you expect the Art of Disney to put signs up next to expensive prints assuaging concerns that people are less of fans if they don't buy the prints? "This print is over one thousand dollars. Please do not feel bad or less of a fan if you cannot afford it." Should I start complaining because I had to pay entrance to the park, and then, on top of that, they charge me for the print? I already paid for entrance to the park, why on earth should I pay for something additional of value!?!?
To be honest, I had a tad bit of inside info prior to it's launch, and it did not excite me then. And when I got wind of it, it was supposed to have something ELSE included in it, which I have not seen since. When it launched officially it was still not exciting. I never expected much out of it, nor am getting much out of it. It's the principles that I am arguing for and about here.

Reading too deeply? Aren't you a Law Student? :lol: Look for the hidden meaning here. Interpret it. I see Psychology that plays on wanting to belong to a group, and a way to exploit it for money. Simple as that. No impudence of course, but it's a valid perceptive.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
That is EXACTLY it. It's just taken them WAY too long to latch onto this idea. Look at the Parks Blog. Loot at the FB Pages. The Twitter Accounts. Disney no longer wants us on sites like this, because...well...this is REALLY "Where The Magic Lives" (Heh! ;)). This is where we can complain, formulate why and how things are wrong in the parks, and have a free voice for changing what's going on in there.

At the heart of this seems to be a ploy (bad connotation? How's "plan?") to be to recapture the fan base OUT of the parks so as to reduce dissonance against them in informational terms.
Geez... I guess I missed the clause in the "Rules and Regulations" that went with my D23 membership that required me to discontinue all association with WDWMagic*... :lookaroun

I better get outta here before the full force of Disney's Legal Department comes crashing down on me and I have to mortgage my house to cover my legal bills... :rolleyes:

* Note to Steve: My Premium Membership to your site is not in jeopardy, I like it here and intend not only to stay, but to continue paying your "exclusivity" fee to be a "Premium Member" with all its 'special' privileges and benefits. :cool:

csm

I dunno, do I get a plastic card or litho with an image I don't necessarily care about? Or what about the merch I could get elsewhere for less without the membership, but feel like paying you more for it?

The card will be printed on the cheapest quality printer paper currently available at wal-mart. As for merchandise, you will be provided a personalized link to Amazon.com where you are welcome to pick out and purchase anything you want as an exclusive member perk!

EPCOT Explorer

Geez... I guess I missed the clause in the "Rules and Regulations" that went with my D23 membership that required me to discontinue all association with WDWMagic*... :lookaroun

I better get outta here before the full force of Disney's Legal Department comes crashing down on me and I have to mortgage my house to cover my legal bills... :rolleyes:

* Note to Steve: My Premium Membership to your site is not in jeopardy, I like it here and intend not only to stay, but to continue paying your "exclusivity" fee to be a "Premium Member" with all its 'special' privileges and benefits. :cool:
Monty, you take me WAY too literally! :rolleyes::ROFLOL:

Not legally, of course, they can't do that, but just in general. Why would they want you to be on a independent opinionated forum where you can say negative things about Disney and their operations. :lol: I really don't think that some of the ops appreciate that we discuss all their names, stats, roles, and that we further hold them to those roles here. :lol:

And Steve is fine with me, too. :D I too like this website, and enjoy helping out when I can. :lol:

csm

The simple bottom line is that no stupid club is the answer to that. I think it's great that they've finally evolved into the digital age with blogs and FB pages and what not. If they want people start using those instead of other websites, they're really going to have to up the content and the frequency of worth-while updates. It's not out of reach, but it does seem to be effort they're not yet willing to put forth.

At a certin point, I have to say it's silly. The very definition of a town is a place where people of various trades contribute their wares to the greater society. The baker provides the bread. The police man provides the protection. The teacher provides the education. When the police man attempts to provide the protection *and* the bread, the quality of both will drop. In this particular town, Disney provides they attractions - and they do it better than anyone. Rather than trying to bake the bread as well, let someone like a WDWMagic or a Mouse Planet provide the bread since it's what *they* specialize in. Disney needs to learn that in this case, it's better to be a member of the town than the entire town itself, else risk cheapening the quality of life for all who live within it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom