D23 2010 - "Gold" and "Silver" Memberships, Dontown Disney Discounts

EpcotServo

:lol:

Are you D23?

"well, if you're calling us Disney fans by a number and putting us on some kind of list, I guess...yeah, technically..."

Are you Gold or Silver D23?

"Wait. I thought we were all D23?"

Fine. Be that way. don't see the value in it. Be left out. We don't care. WE'RE D23.

"Ok, Ok. Gold I guess..."

That'll be $79.95 please.

"what? What the! That's outrageous!"

But you get so many free extras.

"They aren't free! They're 80 flippin' bucks!"

And we have a Magazine.

"So do Soap Operas!"

So you don't want the Magazine.

"I didn't want to do any of this in the first place! I was happy as a Disney Fan!"

Ugghhh...Don't get me started on Disney Fans.

"They're your frickin' fanbase! They support your company!"

Yeah, but they won't even pay us so they can call themselves better. Better than...You people...

"So you're asking Disney Fans to pay for literally nothing except for the ability to call themselves better than...Disney fans?"

One "Silver" membership, $34.95 please.

"Fine. FINE. I guess that's better...Guess I'll just sell my plasma every tuesday so I can read an E-Letter celebrating the 20th anniversery of Herbie Goes Bananas..."

Don't mumble!

"Ghflhfgghhh..." -walks into crowd-

Ok, you gold D23s go over there, and the silver...uhhh. Just stand over there somehow.

-the crowd parts-

There.

"Wh...Why can't I stand over there?"

Oh you're silver. They're gold.

"But I thought this was to include all Disney fans under one, non-secular brand able, power corporation branding name?"

Well, yeah...just some of you guys are more...golden then others.

"You mean they're even better than us, we're below them, but collectively we're all better than pesky Disney fans who ask...questions...?"

No...No...yes.

"I'm starting to think that none of us are really being treated special."

No, not at all! Here...Everyone kick in 5 bucks for something REALLY special.

There. Wasn't that special?

EPCOT Explorer

How about you look at the other stuff too. :rolleyes:

I'm a D23 Member now and I do enjoy what I get, but I too feel there should be much more to the membership. However, it bugs the crap out of me when people just look at one flaw and say "nope". I hope you don't look at the parks like that. :lol:
Have you read any of my posts on anything? :lol:

Nothing is a absolute. Nothing. This, too is a mixed bag, just like the parks. Some really good. Some ok. Some, horrible.
Respectfully, that's an overly-simplistic and unfair statement.

With my first year's membership I received a number of 'free' gifts that were certainly worth more than the difference between buying the magazines off-the-shelf [if buying them off the shelf were even an option for me]. I received a "Day One Charter Member" pin, a D23-exclusive lithograph, an admittedly uninspiring paper fan and one of six Walt Disney Archives Collection D23-exclusive Disneyland '59 patches. All that in addition to four very nice magazine editions [I also subscribe to Celebrations and Tales from the Laughing Place, which are both also excellent, but different publications], a membership certificate that looks very nice framed on my wall and a membership card.

I didn't go to the Expo, though I would have liked to. And I did avail myself of a few of the items that were available for sale only to members. Despite your cutesy reference to it as a "SkyMall of overpriced crap", the prices were on par for any Disney merchandise purchased on-line or in the parks.

IMO I got excellent value for my investment and have already renewed for another year.
So, simplistically speaking, that's worth it to you.

Me? Not so much when you compare it to what else they offer. I look for something with a bit more depth, and value. Something a bit more real.

Of course, both of our posts are pure personal opinion, so respectfuly arguing/debating, while fun, is moot. :D

:lol: Like I said, they are getting close. As it stands now, and as Jer said, to many, it feels like a Merch/Events club, crappy freebees (opinion.) notwithstanding.
Personally? Still nothing.

You can find out far more interesting info and get far more exclusive park related media just by hanging around the right places on the web :D:
Methinks I already do that to the fullest! :cool:

Are you D23?

"well, if you're calling us Disney fans by a number and putting us on some kind of list, I guess...yeah, technically..."

Are you Gold or Silver D23?

"Wait. I thought we were all D23?"

Fine. Be that way. don't see the value in it. Be left out. We don't care. WE'RE D23.

"Ok, Ok. Gold I guess..."

That'll be $79.95 please.

"what? What the! That's outrageous!"

But you get so many free extras.

"They aren't free! They're 80 flippin' bucks!"

And we have a Magazine.

"So do Soap Operas!"

So you don't want the Magazine.

"I didn't want to do any of this in the first place! I was happy as a Disney Fan!"

Ugghhh...Don't get me started on Disney Fans.

"They're your frickin' fanbase! They support your company!"

Yeah, but they won't even pay us so they can call themselves better. Better than...You people...

"So you're asking Disney Fans to pay for literally nothing except for the ability to call themselves better than...Disney fans?"

One "Silver" membership, $34.95 please.

"Fine. FINE. I guess that's better...Guess I'll just sell my plasma every tuesday so I can read an E-Letter celebrating the 20th anniversery of Herbie Goes Bananas..."

Don't mumble!

"Ghflhfgghhh..." -walks into crowd-

Ok, you gold D23s go over there, and the silver...uhhh. Just stand over there somehow.

-the crowd parts-

There.

"Wh...Why can't I stand over there?"

Oh you're silver. They're gold.

"But I thought this was to include all Disney fans under one, non-secular brand able, power corporation branding name?"

Well, yeah...just some of you guys are more...golden then others.

"You mean they're even better than us, we're below them, but collectively we're all better than pesky Disney fans who ask...questions...?"

No...No...yes.

"I'm starting to think that none of us are really being treated special."

No, not at all! Here...Everyone kick in 5 bucks for something REALLY special.

There. Wasn't that special?
Levels of Fandom...Don't you love it!? :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Again... Neither D23 nor Disney writ large have ever said/implied/inferred that. Nowhere does it say you're not a fan or less of a fan if you choose not to join. :rolleyes:

Certainly not the case when you get into it with a CM. :lol: Which I did do on both trips since D23 came out onto the scene.

And it's all what they imply, too.

Read Servo's satire. I remember on day one when this thing came out, they were proclaiming " You are all D23 and fans!"

...."Now pay 75$ for your proof of membership".

Thinly veiled, but very visible, in my eyes.

Silver hardly seems awful: sure its a tiered system but then it was in the first place!

"Hey kids are you D23 and AMERICAN? Join our club! We do events and stuff and shipping is free!...Wait, your not AMERICAN? Well your allowed to join but shipping is $80 suckah (and all the events are in AMERICA anyway)"

So adding an extra tier isn't really a big deal but the fact even silver costs $80 for international shipping is an utter joke to be honest. I might consider silver but its going to a american friends address instead if I do.

I'm a member of the closest thing to the European D23, Disneyland Paris Shareholders Club: which actually comes with some VIP treatment at Disneyland Paris (Salon Mickey) and discounts in Disney Village and the hotels. We get events too but its generally french previews of films, still the rest of the package is slightly better than D23 for me! Now if Disney could somehow extend the shareholders club to all of europe proper and make that a D23, that would be awesome. But its a bit of a pipedream while DLRP continues to be the black sheep in the family

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Certainly not the case when you get into it with a CM. :lol: Which I did do on both trips since D23 came out onto the scene.

And it's all what they imply, too.

Read Servo's satire. I remember on day one when this thing came out, they were proclaiming " You are all D23 and fans!"

...."Now pay 75$ for your proof of membership".

Thinly veiled, but very visible, in my eyes.
So the WEDWay was a "People Mover"... by your logic, anyone who chose not to ride it is less of a person in Disney's eyes?

A club "designed for Disney fans" does not in any way diminish the "Fan-ness" of anyone who chooses not to join.

I have no recollection of anything of the sort on the day D23 was announced. In fact, it sounded then exactly as it sounds now, an interesting club membership that included a subscription to a magazine I was interested in getting.

WDWFigment

Personally? Still nothing.

You can find out far more interesting info and get far more exclusive park related media just by hanging around the right places on the web :D:

I have no problem with it not appealing to anyone, but I don't understand the reasoning here. Say I want to go on a tour of the archives or go to a unique holiday event (assuming I can get the notoriously difficult-to-acquire tickets), a reasonable substitute for such an experience is not going to the media and downloading fan video or audio. Heck, I don't know of anything D23 is producing that is in direct competition with anything available for free online? The tangible magazine doesn't quite fit the bill there for me, nor does anything tangible, for that matter. Certainly experiences are not.

I also don't get the complaints about paying to be recognized as a fan or differing levels of being a fan. Sorry guys, but that's all in your heads. If anything, this is Disney trying to tailor its offerings more (albeit to sell more memberships, but can you blame them?) to appeal to the interests and "needs" of individuals. Calling them "Gold" and "Silver" is just a quick way of identifying the levels (this is nothing unique to Disney--these methods of identification are fairly universal).

Disney hasn't made any explicit statement on supposedly paying to be a fan, nor is there anything implicit that I've seen to lead one to such a conclusion. I realize it's hip for young people to oppose anything that seems commercialized, but what's everyone's real problem with this (as a program, not as it applies to your specific circumstances)? I'd like to hear some real complaints, not long and rambling "satire". There are special merchandising options for AP & Disney Visa card holders. There are expensive souvenirs not everyone can afford in Art of Disney. Victoria and Albert's is one expensive dinner. Do any of these "exclusive" offerings make those who don't buy/participate less of fans? Do you think it's Disney's intent to imply that people who don't participate are lesser? Clearly, the answer to both questions is no.

Seriously, I think some people are really reaching here. Looking to maintain their original positions that D23 sucks. You can still think it sucks, just have sound reasoning to back it up.

By no means am I saying that D23 is perfect. Far from it. But c'mon...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I have no problem with it not appealing to anyone, but I don't understand the reasoning here. Say I want to go on a tour of the archives or go to a unique holiday event (assuming I can get the notoriously difficult-to-acquire tickets), a reasonable substitute for such an experience is not going to the media and downloading fan video or audio. Heck, I don't know of anything D23 is producing that is in direct competition with anything available for free online? The tangible magazine doesn't quite fit the bill there for me, nor does anything tangible, for that matter. Certainly experiences are not.

I also don't get the complaints about paying to be recognized as a fan or differing levels of being a fan. Sorry guys, but that's all in your heads. If anything, this is Disney trying to tailor its offerings more (albeit to sell more memberships, but can you blame them?) to appeal to the interests and "needs" of individuals. Calling them "Gold" and "Silver" is just a quick way of identifying the levels (this is nothing unique to Disney--these methods of identification are fairly universal).

Disney hasn't made any explicit statement on supposedly paying to be a fan, nor is there anything implicit that I've seen to lead one to such a conclusion. I realize it's hip for young people to oppose anything that seems commercialized, but what's everyone's real problem with this (as a program, not as it applies to your specific circumstances)? I'd like to hear some real complaints, not long and rambling "satire". There are special merchandising options for AP & Disney Visa card holders. There are expensive souvenirs not everyone can afford in Art of Disney. Victoria and Albert's is one expensive dinner. Do any of these "exclusive" offerings make those who don't buy/participate less of fans? Do you think it's Disney's intent to imply that people who don't participate are lesser? Clearly, the answer to both questions is no.

Seriously, I think some people are really reaching here. Looking to maintain their original positions that D23 sucks. You can still think it sucks, just have sound reasoning to back it up.

By no means am I saying that D23 is perfect. Far from it. But c'mon...
:sohappy:

I liked my people who don't ride the people-mover are lesser people analogy, but you're much more eloquent. :animwink:

EPCOT Explorer

Silver hardly seems awful: sure its a tiered system but then it was in the first place!

"Hey kids are you D23 and AMERICAN? Join our club! We do events and stuff and shipping is free!...Wait, your not AMERICAN? Well your allowed to join but shipping is $80 suckah (and all the events are in AMERICA anyway)"

So adding an extra tier isn't really a big deal but the fact even silver costs $80 for international shipping is an utter joke to be honest. I might consider silver but its going to a american friends address instead if I do.

I'm a member of the closest thing to the European D23, Disneyland Paris Shareholders Club: which actually comes with some VIP treatment at Disneyland Paris (Salon Mickey) and discounts in Disney Village and the hotels. We get events too but its generally french previews of films, still the rest of the package is slightly better than D23 for me! Now if Disney could somehow extend the shareholders club to all of europe proper and make that a D23, that would be awesome. But its a bit of a pipedream while DLRP continues to be the black sheep in the family

See, that sounds worth while..AND it's PARK based. I like that. Wish that they would replicate that here.
So the WEDWay was a "People Mover"... by your logic, anyone who chose not to ride it is less of a person in Disney's eyes?

A club "designed for Disney fans" does not in any way diminish the "Fan-ness" of anyone who chooses not to join.

I have no recollection of anything of the sort on the day D23 was announced. In fact, it sounded then exactly as it sounds now, an interesting club membership that included a subscription to a magazine I was interested in getting.

Well, Monty...The TTA has several lines. The Blue Line is for humans only. I would think that if you were not a human, or less than that (Personally, I treat alien and robotic brethren equally, this is a City of the Future/Utopia in Tomorrowland in both look and thought.) that you would board other lines, such as the green, or red. They take you to Perfect Parking and to Starport 75.

Is that what you were getting at?

Tomorrowland back story quips aside...I don't follow your logic. The Peoplemover is a ride. You don't pay to ride (unless you want to get overly technical and talk about admission fees.) and you don't get any membership or "perks" or "fantastic" free gifts. You don't have the sense of "belonging" to it, which is a key component of D23's marketing.

Also...Look at what's implied. They talk about being a fan in their media. They talk about what Disney fans should do (Look at that little corner in OMD). They they ask you to pay up. Tying that all together, in my eyes, is the implication that Disney wants to put a label on your Fanship, or Fandom, or whatever you want to call it. Remember the original ad of " Are you 23?" There it is again....The subtle nudge to pay to be 23 and be a "Good" Disney fan.

If they DID want everyone to answer "yes" to the aforementioned question, they would make membership accessible, even if it is for just that, membership, and not all the fluff aside.

That's my perspective anyway, with my perspective facts. It seems I'm not alone in this line of thought. Nor are you, and as always. I respect that. :D

Anyway, this isn't the issue today. :lol: They took a nice medium sized step forward. It wasn't that monumental, but it appears that they are listening...and trying to gain more members. That is, after all, and as discussed their purpose.

Either way, that's not the REAL big issue here today.

csm

So for $35 you get the ability to buy from their SkyMall of overpriced crap? No thanks.

No. Don't be silly. For $35 you get to say you like Disney. For $75, you get to say you like Disney, and read about how lucky you are to be able to like Disney.

EPCOT Explorer

No. Don't be silly. For $35 you get to say you like Disney. For $75, you get to say you like Disney, and read about how lucky you are to be able to like Disney.

Certainly how the CM I spoke to in Pecos Bills made it out to be. All this from him noticing my WDWM button. :lol:

EPCOTPluto

Also...Look at what's implied. They talk about being a fan in their media. They talk about what Disney fans should do (Look at that little corner in OMD). They they ask you to pay up. Tying that all together, in my eyes, is the implication that Disney wants to put a label on your Fanship, or Fandom, or whatever you want to call it. Remember the original ad of " Are you 23?" There it is again....The subtle nudge to pay to be 23 and be a "Good" Disney fan. If they DID want everyone to answer "yes" to the aforementioned question, they would make membership accessible, even if it is for just that, membership, and not all the fluff aside.
Thank you for aligning on the same train of thought as with me. :lookaroun

I just find it to be another very obvious method for another dollar. The magazines are indeed great material to read, but to join in the actual club is improbable and unrealistic, to prove your worthiness to Disney. :lookaroun

WDW Vacationer

I'm going to predict the imminent demise of this thread.

Personally,I think it is a great program. I just wish they could expand it to make it more accessible to everyone,but I think that's coming. A better price was part of that.

csm

Certainly how the CM I spoke to in Pecos Bills made it out to be. All this from him noticing my WDWM button. :lol:

I can assure you I'm no CM from Pecos Bills, but that has been my firm opinion since day one. It's the same feeling I have for ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts). I'm a HUGE roller coaster geek. I've traveled all over the world to ride new coasters. With a track record of well over 700, I've been on more coasters than most ACE members, and probably many ACE members combined. So why do I need to pay $60 some-odd bucks to say I like coasters? They two have an occasional publication mailed to you - but like anything else in this day and age, print media simply cannot out-run the internet, so a nice as a magazine may or may not look, the information held within is already dated by the time it hits your mailbox. ACE also holds conventions and trips - and the simple fact is they are far more limited and far more expensive than a trip you could plan and take on your own or with friends. There's no benefit to these "premium" fan clubs. There never will be.

EPCOT Explorer

Thank you for aligning on the same train of thought as with me. :lookaroun

I just find it to be another very obvious method for another dollar. The magazines are indeed great material to read, but to join in the actual club is improbable and unrealistic, to prove your worthiness to Disney. :lookaroun

It's what I am here for. :lol:

The Mags look great, I give them that. But for actual info? Hah! I have hear for that. And Laughing Place. And Mice Chat. And Twitter.

Be it a obvious method for money or not, it IS it's purpose, and I do not flaw them at all for that. It's just a little too obvious, seeing what you get, or now, don't get in return.

EpcotServo

Seriously though- D23 remains a thinly veiled pyramid scheme to substitute what would REALLY BE NEEDED, which is a D23 that costs nothing and rewards spending at the parks, the Disney Stores, Movies, and participating locations. Frequent Flying Miles that reward loyal spending towards Disney.

Spending money to be called a number and for the right to pay EVEN MORE MONEY to get into events and commemorative framed polo shirts, remains a genius move to funnel money from a core brand with a VERY minimal expense. (Seriously? Disney Magazine? Tours of already existing locations, driven by high demand and low attendance allowed? Disneyana Convention rezombiefied and resold as premium? Free website with zero return investment for those who are members? Buttons and E-Flyers?)

Don't kid yourself people. If you like it, great. But you're paying to be in a corporate branded-Cult.

I recommend joining a free cult, or a cult that rewards spending, instead of a cult that makes you pay to get in, then pay for all your other "benefits" in the door.

I still find the whole thing hilarious as heck- And am beginning to appreciate why they made it, seeing as how well it's sold compared to the idea of actually rewarding customers. Like I said- It's marketing/overselling genius.

csm

Don't kid yourself people. If you like it, great. But you're paying to be in a corporate branded-Cult.

I recommend joining a free cult, or a cult that rewards spending, instead of a cult that makes you pay to get in, then pay for all your other "benefits" in the door.

I'll start a cult right now -and my membership fees will only be $30. That's a whole $5 less, and I'll email you three times a week! Who's in?

EPCOT Explorer

I'm going to predict the imminent demise of this thread.
Why? Good talk here. As long as it's respectful, it's all good.
I can assure you I'm no CM from Pecos Bills, but that has been my firm opinion since day one. It's the same feeling I have for ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts). I'm a HUGE roller coaster geek. I've traveled all over the world to ride new coasters. With a track record of well over 700, I've been on more coasters than most ACE members, and probably many ACE members combined. So why do I need to pay $60 some-odd bucks to say I like coasters? They two have an occasional publication mailed to you - but like anything else in this day and age, print media simply cannot out-run the internet, so a nice as a magazine may or may not look, the information held within is already dated by the time it hits your mailbox. ACE also holds conventions and trips - and the simple fact is they are far more limited and far more expensive than a trip you could plan and take on your own or with friends. There's no benefit to these "premium" fan clubs. There never will be.

Exactly. It's the "You Belong To" moment. All that little nitpicky stuff out of Ingroups and Outgroups in Social Psychology. And of course, with money involved...:lol:

I wish that they would bring back stuff like the Magic Kingdom Club. Or the Mickey Mouse Club! That was less expensive, had more worth, and really did have more reach.

Honestly...D23 seems limited to nutcases like us.:lol:

...Which certainly says a lot about it's purpose and venue.

EPCOT Explorer

Seriously though- D23 remains a thinly veiled pyramid scheme to substitute what would REALLY BE NEEDED, which is a D23 that costs nothing and rewards spending at the parks, the Disney Stores, Movies, and participating locations. Frequent Flying Miles that reward loyal spending towards Disney.

Spending money to be called a number and for the right to pay EVEN MORE MONEY to get into events and commemorative framed polo shirts, remains a genius move to funnel money from a core brand with a VERY minimal expense. (Seriously? Disney Magazine? Tours of already existing locations, driven by high demand and low attendance allowed? Disneyana Convention rezombiefied and resold as premium? Free website with zero return investment for those who are members? Buttons and E-Flyers?)

I still find the whole thing hilarious as heck- And am beginning to appreciate why they made it, seeing as how well it's sold compared to the idea of actually rewarding customers. Like I said- It's marketing/overselling genius.
:sohappy:

Well said, Servo. :D

I'll start a cult right now -and my membership fees will only be $30. That's a whole $5 less, and I'll email you three times a week! Who's in?
Oh, oh! But you have to call me by a special title because I now belong to your exclusive group!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom