D23’s Epcot 30th Anniversary celebration

RSoxNo1

I'll pass. I've heard far better (and truer) tales (meaning unsanitized) from folks like Marty and Tony and Richard on a one-on-one basis where I didn't pay a penny.

I wish the D23 folks well ...

You know that not everyone has that access, right?

Having said that it's a shame that they're charging for this at a level higher than the D23 Expo. It seems a bit steep.

WDW1974

You know that not everyone has that access, right?

Sure, I do. ... but that isn't the point.

Having said that it's a shame that they're charging for this at a level higher than the D23 Expo. It seems a bit steep.

That is.

EPCOT's 30th Anniversary is an event. It is NOT a D23 event. It is a WDW event and Disney is basically making it a D23 upcharge special.

Everything that Adam and his group of fanbois shamed them into doing for the 25th will now be available for either a surcharge of $65 or $185 a person PLUS regular park admission.

This yet again shows how little regard Disney has for its daily guests and its longtime loyal fans.

HenryMystic

Typical and not surprising.

And 90% of what will be seen/heard/presented will be the same stuff that has been so many times before.

It's all about the money with the Mouse. I guess this is designed to 'force' some extra fanbois into becoming D23 members.

I'll pass. I've heard far better (and truer) tales (meaning unsanitized) from folks like Marty and Tony and Richard on a one-on-one basis where I didn't pay a penny.

I wish the D23 folks well ...

And I can remember when this was all free 5 years ago:xmas:

Merlin0402

Any mention of special merchandise for the event? I would be willing to pay a pretty penny for a classic EPCOT Center soundtrack cd...

Admiral01

Premium Member
Meh, I was there for EPCOT's 29th anniversary. It was a great night. No lines, solid margaritas in Mexico...good times. Everyone kept talking about some 40th anniversary somewhere else on property that night...but I knew where I wanted to be.

dxwwf3

For those of you familiar with these type of events, do you guys think it will be possible to see all of these prsentations without buying the top package with reserved seating? I can honestly say I am interested in seeing all of these and if I decided to go, I would want to see everything.

Tigger1988

For those of you familiar with these type of events, do you guys think it will be possible to see all of these prsentations without buying the top package with reserved seating? I can honestly say I am interested in seeing all of these and if I decided to go, I would want to see everything.

You'll see it all but you won't be up front.

hpyhnt 1000

Sure, I do. ... but that isn't the point.

That is.

EPCOT's 30th Anniversary is an event. It is NOT a D23 event. It is a WDW event and Disney is basically making it a D23 upcharge special.

Everything that Adam and his group of fanbois shamed them into doing for the 25th will now be available for either a surcharge of $65 or $185 a person PLUS regular park admission.

This yet again shows how little regard Disney has for its daily guests and its longtime loyal fans.

Perfectly stated. That distinction cannot be stressed enough.

WDWFigment

While I fully intend upon attending this event, I will be really irritated if Disney doesn't do something more for Epcot's 30th than it did for the 25th.

Even though I think a 30th anniversary is less significant than a 25th anniversary, I think the merchandise that will be available on 10/1 and this event implicitly indicate that Disney is treating the 30th as more important than the 25th...to the extent that the Company can get to fans' wallets.

Stated differently, Disney can't talk out of both sides of its mouth here: it can't say that nothing is being done on 10/1 because it's "only" the 30th, yet have a big D23 event (at a cost) and sell fans expensive LE merchandise (also, obviously, at a cost).

Californian Elitist

I know how everyone feels, I had every intention on attending the D23 Destination D at Disneyland this year. Wrong. The first time it was $75 and now it's $225. Ain't happenin'.

WDW1974

While I fully intend upon attending this event, I will be really irritated if Disney doesn't do something more for Epcot's 30th than it did for the 25th.

That's funny. Does it matter whether you or 80% of the people attending are ''really irritated''? ... Why should it when you guys will attend any/every 'special' event they can come up? D23 exists to monetize Disney's history and the nostalgia for when it had better theme park products and the fanbois eat it up like pure Neverland Pixie Dust.

The 25th Anniversary was free to all with admission. Now, it was appalling that it took some young fans into shaming Disney into doing anything ... but at least it was free.

Now? It's basically everything that happened five years ago, you just have to join D23 (for whatever that costs ... $75 minimum?) and then pay for your tickets and then pay an upcharge fee to experience anything.

Even though I think a 30th anniversary is less significant than a 25th anniversary, I think the merchandise that will be available on 10/1 and this event implicitly indicate that Disney is treating the 30th as more important than the 25th...to the extent that the Company can get to fans' wallets.

Yes. Disney has realized they missed the boat on the 25th ... that's why they've spent the better part of five years whoring EPCOT retro merchandise to willing fanbois. I loved EPCOT Center. It is the park that made me a fanboi for life. But I own only one retro tee ... and it came out about 6-7 years ago. It was the only one and it didn't sell well and I paid about $9.99 for it on a sale rack at TSFKaTC (yeah, a new one!:D)

This is an event that will allow you to spend money for the pleasure of being one of the first to spend even more.

Disney is playing the fans and they really enjoy being played.

Stated differently, Disney can't talk out of both sides of its mouth here: it can't say that nothing is being done on 10/1 because it's "only" the 30th, yet have a big D23 event (at a cost) and sell fans expensive LE merchandise (also, obviously, at a cost).

Of course it can. Disney is a corporation that only has to answer to its shareholders (and really not even them, just the analysts). I expect absolutely nothing special beyond probably playing the same damn tag on Illuminations that they did five years ago and possibly bringing back some old menu items (but certainly not the 1982 prices).

MKCP 1985

Perfectly stated. That distinction cannot be stressed enough.

What needs to be stressed is that people who show up for the WDW event of Epcot's 30th birthday need to know the event mentioned in this thread is a D23 Event and occurs on the day before the actual anniversary date - not on the anniversary date of October 1.

After all, most people who show up on both September 30 and October 1 are just going to be planning on experiencing the rides and pavilions, and looking for Nemo and Mickey Mouse and Figment, just like every other day. It is the less than 1% who want to argue and turn this into something negative.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Here is the lineup of the day's events for anyone who did not see them.

Presentations Include:

•Hooray for the 21st Century – Disney Legend and former Walt Disney Imagineering Principal Creative Executive Marty Sklar joins D23 guests via a virtual presentation, where we see and hear what it was like to work with Walt Disney on his original vision for an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Along the way, learn about Marty’s favorite memories working on the EPCOT Center project with a team of passionate Imagineers.
•The Music of EPCOT Center – Some of Epcot’s most passionate fans agree that the park’s soundtrack has created one of its most lasting legacies that continue to help “makin’ memories” around the world. Join Disney historians and songwriters as we explore the incredible world of Epcot music, celebrating the talents of such Epcot songwriters and composers as Bob Moline, Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman, George Wilkins, Buddy Baker, X. Atencio, Peter Stougaard, Russell Brower, Edo Guidotti and others who have left a permanent musical mark on the park’s creative legacy. Along the way, hear stories about the recording sessions, learn about some fascinating alternate versions of some of your favorite melodies, and sing along to your favorite Epcot tunes!
•“We Can Do It!” – Disney Legends and EPCOT Center creators review the immense challenge that loomed ahead of them when bringing Epcot to reality in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Guests will hear stories of trips to foreign countries to secure participants in the World Showcase concept, what life was like inside the largest private construction project in the world, and how they readied its highly anticipated opening day.
•“We’ve Just Begun to Dream” – Join Disney Legend Ron Logan and other key Disney entertainment veterans as they reminisce about the official EPCOT Center opening festivities that remain among the most elaborate Disney has ever staged. This presentation will include rare footage from the grand openings of various Future World and World Showcase pavilions, which were held throughout October 1982. 

•“Makin’ Memories: Epcot on Film” – Join former Disney Imagineer Bob Garner and Disney author and historian Tim O’Day as they cast a “Magic Eye” on the marvelous world of Epcot on film. Bob was closely involved in the creation of film documentation and production at Epcot, including special video elements of Future World and World Showcase pavilions and such promotional films as EPCOT Center: The Opening Celebration.
“Looking Back at Tomorrow” – Few Epcot visitors, even its most avid fans, realize The Land pavilion was almost called “Harvest Tomorrow” or that Figment was slated to co-host an “Images & Imagination” pavilion with “Professor Marvel.” With recently discovered materials from the Walt Disney Archives, join Disney archivists as they examine how the “dreamers and doers” developed favorite Epcot attractions of the past including Horizons, Journey into Imagination, Kitchen Kabaret, World of Motion, the Astuter Computer Revue, and the original Universe of Energy.
“The EPCOT Center That Never Was” – Using rare concept artwork, guests will glimpse what it was like to design Epcot with Walt Disney Imagineering Senior Vice President Tony Baxter, designer and producer for several beloved Epcot pavilions, and explore early versions of Epcot attractions that never made it off the drawing board.
•“Imagineering Epcot: An Extra Perceptive Close-up Of Things – Fans of wall-to-wall carpeting and leapfrog fountains unite! Disney Imagineers Jason Surrell, Jason Grandt, and Alex Wright return with a humorous exploration of the details that make Epcot so unique. From miniature gardens to massive buildings (and every international food and beverage offering in between), they’ll show what makes Future World and World Showcase like no place else on earth.
These 2 sections I would love to see, however, I cant afford this event after traveling down, participating in the ToT Saturday night and burn a day in Epcot the day before.

I wonder how much stuff they are going to present, we have already seen as avid fans? Im sure they will have some things from the archives that no one has seen in years, but the price is steep for this traveler.

Very disappointing that they're charging so much, in addition to needing to be a member as well. I can see having this "fan con" type event in addition to official, public events--but not as the be-all, end-all for their celebrations. Besides, thanks to the internet, most of the information they could share we'd already know or would soon know thanks to instant communication.

So you get access to some panels and get a "gift" for almost the price of park admission (in addition to your park admission).

Well, at least they're doing something. Profiting on it big time, yes, but we'd grumble if they didn't do at least this much. Still not going to be able to afford to bite, though.

I'll continue to dream that in my fantasy world Disney would use the anniversary to announce a revision of Future World to hark back to its roots, including a complete re-do of Imagination, alterations to Seas and M:S, update of UoE, re-do of Wonders of Life, Soar'n Over the Land, .... all starting with the reveal of the new Test Track that ultimately honors the original theme of WoM.

Compass East

I am SO EXCITED to attend this event! I'm reading a lot of negativity about this, which really confuses me. It doesn't sound like this is what "Epcot the park" is doing - like what we saw for the 25th (ceremonies, foods, merchandise, etc.). It sounds more like the Destination D... which was totally separate from the park celebration. Those presentations were filled with video and stories that the "die hards" had never heard or seen before, so I expect more of the same from you, D23.

In any case, it seems like a lot of unique presentations by the people who did it. Sold.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Figures the usual suspects would whine and complain about a special event from D23 on the East coast. Whined and complained that all D23 benefited were all the California fans. Now they're doing something it's too much money or a cash grab. :rolleyes:

For the record: I have registered for WDWCelebrations' event and fully intend to register for the D23 event and regardless of the idiocy of the whiners and complainers I expect to have a great time with lots of really great people I know in both groups. Of course they will accuse my of either snorting pixie dust or being a Disney apologist... Fact is I'll be a fan enjoying myself.

OrangeTree

^ Heaven forbid we actually expect more quality out of Disney, especially when it used to be free.

D23 is a fiefdom for "being the better fan". It's great that they did something with the Orange Bird and were able to actually do what a historical community should do- restore- but charging for something that should be public is obscene, absurd, and a rash slap in the face to those that actually want to see the company's legacy.

Tigger1988

^ Heaven forbid we actually expect more quality out of Disney, especially when it used to be free.
When has something of this caliber been free? For the 25th they had a re-dedication ceremony and a small exhibit, why are people trying to act like that's comparable to the presentations being offered this year?.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom