Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

UncleMike101

It sounds like they may be sliding back into the horrible theme park food of decades past.
It's bad enough that the quality of the products suck, but the additional insult of charging outrageous prices for it is a sure sign that Disney thinks of every guest as a sucker.
Of course we all know that after you've licked a sucker enough all you have left is a stick.
I'm betting that a large number of todays suckers will tell Iger & Company what they can do with all of those sticks.

danv3

I hate that stunt as unless you are somewhere else on company business a little black mark goes into your file if you DO NOT 'volunteer'.

Sounds like an FLSA issue to me. I don't see how an employer can ask its employees (especially non-exempt hourly employees) to work ("volunteer") at such events without pay. This is not some charitable event. RunDisney is a for-profit part of the enterprise.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Investment arm was just purchased by State Street.

Now there is even LESS left of GE, Thanks Neutron Jack good job destroying one of the US'es last vertically integrated manufacturing companies. Now they all exist in the China, EU, Japan and S. Korea. But hey the executives got rich and the employees lost everything.

All that's left is to sell the trademark to Siemens or Haier like RCA was sold to Thompson

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sounds like an FLSA issue to me. I don't see how an employer can ask its employees (especially non-exempt hourly employees) to work ("volunteer") at such events without pay. This is not some charitable event. RunDisney is a for-profit part of the enterprise.

Hey when the CEO is connected to the president as an 'Economic Ambassador' FLSA no longer applies to your company, But it goes double for your competition

Cesar R M

Im still bitter about when they stopped the Apricot sauce.

How much money could you possibly save on buying a cheaper !$#@# bread?
millions in the long run even if the bread is 1 cent cheaper a piece. Still..
If they have to cut costs on bread.. something is really f***d up in the priorities of management.

Cesar R M

They wanted more dough, but Disney thought they were loafing around.
xVqmgoF.gif

Cesar R M

Over a bed of rice... mmm... Disney better get to work on that Arctic AK expansion so we can experience how good the seal could be.
They could also add a Music/bar/lounge.. and call it "Clubbin'" next to an image of a baby seal

SDMT is barely two years old. What the hell Disney?!?!?!
counting the money "saved" on "painters laid off" and "maintenance shortcuts"?
I bet the duck tape company will have their shares skyrocket as Disney replaces real parts for duck tape :hilarious:

Cesar R M

Well since Disney has outsourced all AA activities to Garner-Holt it means whenever an AA breaks someone needs to cut a PO for the repair and since that affects bonuses well it does not happen very often. Back in the day if an AA broke it was taken backstage and repaired by Disney staff who actually cared about the rides being 100%.

Garner-Holt's only concern is getting paid on time by Disney.
hopefully there will be a Manager who actually cares and sends the broken parts to be repaired as quickly as they fail.

Cesar R M

It's the Jack Welch method. Bottom 15% margin items get axed every year. This ensures you only sell the highest margin products.
yeah,but if you "homogenize" everything.. What will remain that could be considered "special" and "unique" that could difference one company from another?

Brad Bishop

A lot of this reminds me of Sears.

For those of you who are too young to remember, at one time Sears was the retail juggernaut. If you were an average family and you needed something, anything (quite literally), you went to Sears.

Sears was at it's peak in the 1970s and built the Sears Tower, now the Willis Tower, in Chicago. They leased out the upper floors but they were on fire and fully expected to fill the building within a decade or so. They never filled more than 1/3 of it. Then they started doing other things like H&R Block, Dean Witter Financials, Discover (which was spun off and became successful), and all kinds of odd stuff.

They started losing it in the 1980s. Their stores started looking crappy/junky and the products on their shelves were junk. At one time you might buy a Sears TV which was nothing more than a rebranded Zenith or something similar (made in USA, quality) and then someone decided Sears needed it's own brand and started selling LXI. These were, I think, manufactured by Goldstar or some other crap-company at the time and you knew it. You could tell by the looks of it that it was crappy and people stayed away. These weren't budget-priced, either, but repackaged crap selling at the price (or higher) that you'd pay for a well-known brand somewhere else.

Sears went from THE place you'd go shopping to NO PLACE you'd go shopping in just under a decade but all of these little cuts / changes looked good on paper!

They even tried to win people back towards the end of the 1980s or beginning of the 1990s with upscaling their stores (looking like a presentable "Mall Store" instead of a K-mart - which they bought a few years later (how that made sense is beyond me).

They cut back on staff, though. I remember being in stores a few times in the early 1990s and I swear I was the only one on the floor. No one to check me out. No other customers. Outside of being really creepy, how do you run a business like that? How can you not have people there to take someone's money? With the declining business and sales, it probably looked good on paper to not have anyone on the floor. (maybe they were on the first floor and I was on the second - no idea).

What is Sears now? Well, if you're like me then it's that store that may, or may not, be close to you but you pass by one every so often wondering, "How does that company stay alive?" For the longest time they lived off of the profits that they banked in the 1970s. Now they're closing stores and I think most of their revenue (not profit - they eludes them) comes from the management of their real estate. The current game plan is to close stores and lease out half of the stores remaining (like in a literal sense, cut the store in half, and then sublet the half they're not using).

They weren't killed by the internet. They weren't even killed by Walmart. They did it to themselves. If you think about the position that they were in around the end of the 1970s, they, had they just kept the quality and value going, could have continued quite well into the 1980s and beyond. They would have had to adapt for internet sales but if you think of their buying power (at one time) and catalog/distribution network, this should have been easy. Nope. Lots of bad choices that looked great on paper.

The point being that the bad management decisions started about a decade before they really started to feel the repercussions from them. The repercussions have lasted far longer than the decade of bad decisions.

hopemax

For those of you who are too young to remember, at one time Sears was the retail juggernaut. If you were an average family and you needed something, anything (quite literally), you went to Sears.

Sears was at it's peak in the 1970s and built the Sears Tower, now the Willis Tower, in Chicago. They leased out the upper floors but they were on fire and fully expected to fill the building within a decade or so. They never filled more than 1/3 of it. Then they started doing other things like H&R Block, Dean Witter Financials, Discover (which was spun off and became successful), and all kinds of odd stuff.

They started losing it in the 1980s. Their stores started looking crappy/junky and the products on their shelves were junk. At one time you might buy a Sears TV which was nothing more than a rebranded Zenith or something similar (made in USA, quality) and then someone decided Sears needed it's own brand and started selling LXI. These were, I think, manufactured by Goldstar or some other crap-company at the time and you knew it. You could tell by the looks of it that it was crappy and people stayed away. These weren't budget-priced, either, but repackaged crap selling at the price (or higher) that you'd pay for a well-known brand somewhere else.

Sears went from THE place you'd go shopping to NO PLACE you'd go shopping in just under a decade but all of these little cuts / changes looked good on paper!

They even tried to win people back towards the end of the 1980s or beginning of the 1990s with upscaling their stores (looking like a presentable "Mall Store" instead of a K-mart - which they bought a few years later (how that made sense is beyond me).

They cut back on staff, though. I remember being in stores a few times in the early 1990s and I swear I was the only one on the floor. No one to check me out. No other customers. Outside of being really creepy, how do you run a business like that? How can you not have people there to take someone's money? With the declining business and sales, it probably looked good on paper to not have anyone on the floor. (maybe they were on the first floor and I was on the second - no idea).

What is Sears now? Well, if you're like me then it's that store that may, or may not, be close to you but you pass by one every so often wondering, "How does that company stay alive?" For the longest time they lived off of the profits that they banked in the 1970s. Now they're closing stores and I think most of their revenue (not profit - they eludes them) comes from the management of their real estate. The current game plan is to close stores and lease out half of the stores remaining (like in a literal sense, cut the store in half, and then sublet the half they're not using).

They weren't killed by the internet. They weren't even killed by Walmart. They did it to themselves. If you think about the position that they were in around the end of the 1970s, they, had they just kept the quality and value going, could have continued quite well into the 1980s and beyond. They would have had to adapt for internet sales but if you think of their buying power (at one time) and catalog/distribution network, this should have been easy. Nope. Lots of bad choices that looked great on paper.

The point being that the bad management decisions started about a decade before they really started to feel the repercussions from them. The repercussions have lasted far longer than the decade of bad decisions.

Hey, I have the market on Sears rants around here! But seriously. So some know my Mom had 15 years at Disney. Prior to that she had 3-4 years at a regional hardware store, and previous to that she spent 13ish years working at Sears. She started as a part-time sales associate, and then worked in various departments including the catalog department and eventually was one of 2 people in charge of receiving/stocking dept. She left the company when her good friend, the store manager decided at the peak of his career to quit working for Sears and become a generic retail associate at the regional hardware store my Mom eventually went to.

I was a teenager at the time, so I wasn't much paying attention, but I remember basically the pressures on store operations were intense. Plus, it was considered "bad" to be management too long. When my Mom started in the late 70's, the store manager was someone who had worked at the store for 40 years. He knew what people in his town, country, region wanted. He and the managers of JC Penny and the regional upscale dept store (which like the rest of them, would be sucked up by Macy's and be ruined) were representatives of the city, and present at the local community events, etc. But by the time our friend left, it was expected that you would only run a store for 2-3 years, and then you better have moved yourself into a bigger store otherwise you weren't "motivated" enough and a more "motivated" person from a smaller store than you was ready to take your place.

Amazon.com was founded one year after Sears quit their catalog. So close, but at that point they probably wouldn't have known what to do with it. Who cares about a bookstore?

ratherbeinwdw

FYI Actually, Kmart bought Sears. I thought, as you do, that Sears bought Kmart, until someone told me otherwise. I looked it up, and the other person is correct.

Nubs70

yeah,but if you "homogenize" everything.. What will remain that could be considered "special" and "unique" that could difference one company from another?
The difference? Profit Margin

The focus becomes strictly monetary. After full homogenization, all that remains is IP. IP is milked for nostalgia while sacrificing Strategic Advantage. In the case of WDW, they are sacrificing the Strategic Advantage of "The Experience"

In days of old, the single thing WDW had over all their competitors was the "WDW Experience"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom