Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

FigmentForver96

So I have a friend (I am in NO way an insider in any shape form or fashion) who works in Disney, not technically front end but not high up either. (Honestly I don't quite remember what her exact job is) that is staying that certain restaraunts are looking at reduced hours pretty soon. She didn't name all of them but the ones she did name were Flame Tree BBQ, Columbia House, Electric Umbrella and Yak and Yeti. Take that with you will and it could not be totally accurate but I wanted to share.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So I have a friend (I am in NO way an insider in any shape form or fashion) who works in Disney, not technically front end but not high up either. (Honestly I don't quite remember what her exact job is) that is staying that certain restaraunts are looking at reduced hours pretty soon. She didn't name all of them but the ones she did name were Flame Tree BBQ, Columbia House, Electric Umbrella and Yak and Yeti. Take that with you will and it could not be totally accurate but I wanted to share.

Well they can burn down electric umbrella for all I care. That has got to be the worst dining location on property.

BernardandBianca

Yak & Yeti would be a surprise, since it is owned and operated by Landry.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
No Walt Disney World Cast Members are required to be part of a union. That is illegal in Florida as it is a 'Right to Work' state.

Yes; but I think Federal Law requires non-union employers working in a union shop to pay dues even if they are not a member. This is required to pay for services that the union provides for all employees.

Goofyernmost

Thirdly, putting in an effort to make more money doesn't always work in companies. McDonalds in some areas pay $15/hr for untrain, educated or uneducated employees? Why? Because they value their workers.
You don't really believe that do you? What they did was because they were having problems getting and keeping people in a job that the outside world considered "flipping burgers". Disney doesn't have that problem on a day to day basis. Why because most of those people have gone there as guests and had great memories, all warm and fuzzy! But, like anything else once you get a vision of the grease on the gears that make thing work, the warm fuzziness goes away. They come in with that 100% Pixie Dust complexion, but, the realities that Disney doesn't actually operate by using magic, the harsh realities of life do not take long to wear that dust pretty thin. In other words it is just a job, like all the others, no magic, no unicorns, just some good, some bad of everyday life.

Horizons1

First of all, books? Who uses those anymore to research information? ;)

Secondly, a majority of the people who work for Disney actually moved to the area to work for them specifically because they grew up loving Disney. Just having them around guests gives Disney an advantage of free advertisement and knowledge. That statement right there proves that they give their 100%. So to be placed in that situation with their 100% dedication to their company then that same company slashes their hours, eliminates their jobs or gives them less than a $.50 raise over the course of 5 years shows is a smack in the face.

Thirdly, putting in an effort to make more money doesn't always work in companies. McDonalds in some areas pay $15/hr for untrain, educated or uneducated employees? Why? Because they value their workers. The legacy and history of Disney is all warm and fuzzy but it is no longer that way. only perceived that way to their guests. If you had actually worked for Disney longer than a year you would get a hard dose or reality and see what has become of it. It's easy to "assume" how things are being run but unless you've experienced it for yourself, you really don't have a clue.
This.

Nubs70

That's if they are in a Union. Most $8.75/hr CM's that are in a Union are paying $500 per year in dues. Most teacher's Unions are only $200 per year. But if that many people strike, there isn't enough to cover lost wages. Not for thousands of people.
But if the Teamsters, at the national level, want to make a high profile statement, the Teamsters could pull from the national funds. Other unions could also contribute monies and manpower in sympathy.

Nubs70

They don't like to mention that when they "force" new cast members to sign up. Also it's near impossible to get out of paying dues once you start.
And, as a non paying employee, your name and place of employment is published in the national magazine. This is the procedure in right to work states.

Cesar R M

"if you pay me what I think I'm worth then I will give you 100%. Otherwise you will get what you pay for". I've heard from people just starting out how the "company" does not value them in any meaningful way. Of course they don't... until you have shown that you have what they are looking for you have no value to them other then an investment.

Except you're wrong.
Economics have changed for the greedy aspect. Many that work and bust their a*ses do not get a promotion or higher pay. because management know they can PAY AS LITTLE and GET MORE. So THEY get the bonus for "increased performance".
Welcome to the magical world of Neoliberal Wall Street based Capitalism.
And if you cannot do that, you will happily be replaced by a Chinese or Indian counterpart for even less!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Yes; but I think Federal Law requires non-union employers working in a union shop to pay dues even if they are not a member. This is required to pay for services that the union provides for all employees.

Under Florida's popular Right to Work law, no worker can be required to join or pay any money to a union. Under federal labor law, workers can unconditionally revoke their dues deduction authorizations once a contract between the union and their employer terminates.

Goofyernmost

Except you're wrong.
Economics have changed for the greedy aspect. Many that work and bust their a*ses do not get a promotion or higher pay. because management know they can PAY AS LITTLE and GET MORE. So THEY get the bonus for "increased performance".
And if you cannot do that, you will happily be replaced by a Chinese or Indian counterpart for even less!
Pretty much like it always was just had a different name. It was called personnel management then. When it wasn't Wall Street it was independent entrepreneurs. Greed is an inherent part of capitalism and the justifiable unwillingness of the "oppressed" to do something about it, the reason why it has been going on for ages. Even the highest paid person is expendable. There is always someone(s) available to fill in the gap. Entry level positions that require no previous experience are extremely expendable on an individual basis, not so much as a group.

RonnieHare

Just wondering, does anyone have anymore cuts, coming to the parks, or resorts? Our family is going in June, and we may need to change our plans. Maybe less days in Disney.

Why would you not go to Universal? Am not sure if Uber is in Orlando, but they're great parks.

Never understand how people can travel from different countries but only stay in Disney.

BernardandBianca

That requirement to pay for services is something that is allowed/prohibited by state law; each sets its own policy. There was a court decision last year that struck down the requirement, and the Supreme Court has, I believe, agreed to hear the appeal. The theory was that it would have been struck down, but with the death of Scalia, that is no longer a sure thing.

TeriofTerror

This info is a little dated, but, some are up to date, stripped from WDWThemeParks.com, hope that's not verboten.

Disney Corporate Phone Number
(818) 560-1000

Robert Iger
robert.a.iger@disney.com

Tom Staggs
Chief Operating Officer
818-560-6977
tom.staggs@disney.com

Jay Rasulo
Chief Financial Officer
jay.rasulo@disney.com

Meg Crofton
President of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations in United States and France
818-560-7401
meg.crofton@disney.com

George Kalogridis
President of Walt Disney World
407-828-2600
george.kalogridis@disney.com

Jim MacPhee
Senior Vice President of Next Generation Experiences and Walt Disney World Parks
407-560-2960
james.d.macphee@disney.com

Phil Holmes
Vice President of Hollywood Studios, Former Vice President of Magic Kingdom
Phil.M.Holmes@Disney.com

Sam Lau
Former Vice President of Epcot
407-560-7025
samuel.w.lau@disney.com

Jack Feivou
General Manager of Epcot Entertainment Operations
407-560-6017
jack.feivou@disney.com

Trish Vega
Assistant to Tom Staggs
trish.vega@disney.com

Letters sent (except to Meg Crofton and Jay Rasulo). I'll let y'all know if I receive a response.
On a side note, I must confess that I found it rather disheartening that the only female I contacted was Mr. Staggs' assistant. Diversity doesn't appear to be a strong suit of the WDC, does it?

betty rose

Why would you not go to Universal? Am not sure if Uber is in Orlando, but they're great parks.

Never understand how people can travel from different countries but only stay in Disney.
I understand. We are from the US. I'm 68, traveling to Disney because of the buses and security. I will pay for a cab, to go to Universal, if Disney is not a good value. We have DVC, but with all the cuts, I may either stay in the hotel, and do things around the parks, putt putt, Eating outside of parks, going to uni, and seeing SeaWorld. I bought into DVC thinking that I was getting so much more. Now, it's just a sham. I'm over this, the dues are too expensive with not getting daily service. Towels, etc. I certainly have buyer's remorse. Will I let go of this? Not yet, I still have to figure the cost of a hotel room. I'm still ahead, but paying for expensive food and park tickets. I'm getting out after this year. We got annual passes in September and will work for us in June. After that no more tiered annual passes. I go for relaxation now, time at the pool, going outside of the park to eat. We are going to just sleep in the DVC and do other things. I wonder how many DVC owners feel this way? I may be in the minority, but at my age , I can't wait forever for Disney to finish, so many unfinished projects.

Last edited:

betty rose

I was a dues paying Teamster as a young man. They were worthless. The shop stewards gave lip service to the members, while they jumped on any chance they got to go up to the office for a meeting with management so they could hit on the pretty secretaries and then loaf around on a break after their meeting. The shop stewards defended the liars and cheats and crooks who made my job harder, and then went to a fancy Christmas party thrown by the Teamsters every year that regular members weren't invited to.

The Teamsters is truly a rotten organization (Google Jimmy Hoffa Sr. for an example). I pity the hard working CM's who are forced to give dues money to them every paycheck.
My dad hated them too. His company voted them out years ago.

betty rose

Except you're wrong.
I agree a million times over. My brother in law had to train his replacement counterpart in banking, before his "early" retirement.

betty rose

Except you're wrong.
Hubby retired, for just this reason. He is doing work on his own and making three times what he did . The sweat shop firm he worked for was a global firm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom