Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

Goofyernmost

I will agree it would shake things up a bit and make management sit up and listen, but then those CM's that took a stand would no longer be employed. So they would gain nothing from their action...except a lot of free time to think about what they did. Unions? Nah. We all know they do nothing for Disney employees.
They cannot possibly replace everyone, at least not that quickly. Usually by the time it got to them they would have moved on anyway and by then the replacements would come in under the new contract, so they wouldn't gain anything by replacing the entire staff. It's going to have the same results. I do know that they do nothing for Disney employees so if the CM's actually pay dues they are throwing money away. There are others out there that see a work force of that size has potential for good things.

I also don't buy that they are locked in with no place to go. If they want to stay in the Orlando area, then maybe, but, the world is full of other places to reside and make a living. It's totally defeatist to think that there is no place to go. Billions and billions of people make their living in someplace other then Disney. I supported myself all my life and never once worked for Disney.

Goofyernmost

Well there you go. You can only make assumptions on what CM's should do but haven't actually experienced it from the inside.
Seriously, of course, I'm making assumptions. Assumptions based on 68 years of life and experience. Years of being non-union and being union. Years of observing how life works and how people react to it. I never said anything about it is easy, but, it can be done. There are option available to anyone especially since, at least now, the listing of CM at WDW on a resume would be viewed as a positive, it is because people are afraid to shake up their own lives. Afraid to make the step that could change their entire life because of the "unknown factor". Basic human reaction, but, also a normal one. We have to ask ourselves what board we would be discussing this on if Walt Disney had been afraid to shake things up?

raven

Seriously, of course, I'm making assumptions. Assumptions based on 68 years of life and experience. Years of being non-union and being union. Years of observing how life works and how people react to it. I never said anything about it is easy, but, it can be done. There are option available to anyone especially since, at least now, the listing of CM at WDW on a resume would be viewed as a positive, it is because people are afraid to shake up their own lives. Afraid to make the step that could change their entire life because of the "unknown factor". Basic human reaction, but, also a normal one. We have to ask ourselves what board we would be discussing this on if Walt Disney had been afraid to shake things up?
Yeah that still doesn't represent the majority of those CMs at the bottom of the Disney pay scale. There are a lot that are either living with roommates because they can't afford their own place, living at home, living in Section 8 housing, living in trailers in Kissimmee, staying in a pay-by-the-week motel on 192 or other places. They aren't exactly in the best position to take a risk like that in this point of their lives and they just may have landed at Disney due to that very reason in the first place knowing that Disney will hire anyone.

Not everyone can take a chance and "be like Walt."

Goofyernmost

Yeah that still doesn't represent the majority of those CMs at the bottom of the Disney pay scale. There are a lot that are either living with roommates because they can't afford their own place, living at home, living in Section 8 housing, living in trailers in Kissimmee, staying in a pay-by-the-week motel on 192 or other places. They aren't exactly in the best position to take a risk like that in this point of their lives and they just may have landed at Disney due to that very reason in the first place knowing that Disney will hire anyone.

Not everyone can take a chance and "be like Walt."
Bull... Walt went bankrupt a number of times. He ate cheese and canned goods while living in a back room in some office building and fed some of it to a mouse that he shared the room with, ironically. More then once he put everything on the line to get what he wanted to get. He at times had nothing more then a couple of dollars in his pocket if that much or living on borrowed money. No one has to work at that pay scale unless they are uneducated or scared to try something different. I would think that the uneducated part does not apply... they must all be fairly literate.

YodaMan

Ummm.. am I tired and reading this wrong or is everyone honestly saying that there can't possibly be an educated cast member who works at Disney simply because they like the job and are putting up with the cuts because they find the job rewarding and that anyone staying doesn't have the guts to work somewhere else…?

olie64

Ummm.. am I tired and reading this wrong or is everyone honestly saying that there can't possibly be an educated cast member who works at Disney simply because they like the job and are putting up with the cuts because they find the job rewarding and that anyone staying doesn't have the guts to work somewhere else…?

To me it seems more like a beef is brewing between two members. Who knew sometime people will work for less money because they really enjoy a job.

raven

There are retired servicemen working at Disney who now scrub toilets. There are people with degrees working renting strollers at the front of the parks. There are also high school drop outs and drug addicts working as area coordinators for Disney.

Education doesn't seem to make a difference in this day and age anymore. It all seems to be all about who you know.

Disone

A blink. I live in a community with lots of WDW mid level Mgrs who already scheduled next week for one parade, who are now having to go back and make a new labor schedule. The one parade schedule was already posted to the cast schedules on the Hub. I trust the information as several Mgrs are in my poker circle.

Expect more embarrassing blinks as the decision to cut as much as they have is just plain stupid with no regard for the guests or cast.
Sorry, I cannot agree with this. Both the Hub and the web site were showing two ELPs. I am part of a cast that has access to the HUB daily;) It didn't change.

mm52200

Hard to know for sure if this is a result of budget cuts or not but yesterday was the contract renewal day for the Citizens of Hollywood and apparently between the 1940s cast and the Hollywood Public Works cast 11 were let go. Now it's unknown whether they'll be replaced or not. Other years they would let a certain number go but replace them all. However I don't think they've lost this many before so who knows. Can't blame this all on the budget cuts just yet but it certainly seems rather coincidental.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom