Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

Cesar R M

I think it would be neat to have a deer as a CEO. Get it?! Because the thing with the word that sounds like the other word? I'm sorry.
xVqmgoF.gif

VJ

Ironically the only person in the Disney empire who actually has a strong for the love of Disney parks is John Lassiter - the head of Pixar.

He gets it, and shares the love. It's very unlikely he will move from Pixar, but that would be the dream.
Honestly? It seems to me Lasseter only cares about the parks when he's able to put Pixar into them.

asianway

Just curious, @RonnieHare : What was your user ID here back then?

Perhaps we can dig up old posts from you and see if your opinions have changed. Or... we can see if you are a banned member back now with a new account.

You seem to know a whole lot about 10-15 years of postings, having taken the plunge to join the forum just this past Monday.
I hope it's Surrell so he can get canned again

FrankLapidus

the reason those movies flopped wasn't down to him

i think people are forgetting, the guy made the choice to buy the star wars franchise and then invisted in a dying park (DHS) to create an experience based on that franchise

people need to relax.

The counter-argument to that would be that the investment is coming later than it should have and that DHS was a "dying park" because management had neglected it.

It great its coming, I can't wait for the Star Wars and Pixar expansions at DHS, but it shouldn't have taken nearly ten years for them to commit to improving a park that has needed investment for a long time.

DarthMileZ

Oh i agree, but we don't know how long disney and lucas were negotiating, we know they have been working closely for years so maybe its something that disney had been waiting for...

prberk

By the way, assuming these cuts are happening at DL, too, as they are reported to be company-wide, can you imagine how some of the more dedicated DL cast members might have felt watching "Disneyland 60 and Everything Else" special the other night, not only spending so much time on non-Disneyland stuff but just knowing that they are supposedly celebrating the anniversary of it while cutting your hours? Sad.

ToTBellHop

Honestly? It seems to me Lasseter only cares about the parks when he's able to put Pixar into them.
Glad you said it. And not everything he has pushed for has been stellar. But it is easy for us to salivate as they dismantle the theme of DCA out west in the same way that Epcot has been Character-ized.

Not to mention he wouldn't want to be P&R head.

VJ

Glad you said it. And not everything he has pushed for has been stellar. But it is easy for us to salivate as they dismantle the theme of DCA out west in the same way that Epcot has been Character-ized.

Not to mention he wouldn't want to be P&R head.
I have no problem with Pixar in the parks, it just seems like he doesn't care for much else as far as the parks. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. And if I am, I'm sure someone will be along to tell me so. ;)

FigmentForver96

Oh i agree, but we don't know how long disney and lucas were negotiating, we know they have been working closely for years so maybe its something that disney had been waiting for...
Shame on them then for being that short sighted and ignorant that they were basing the quality of an entire park on a single franchise. I love Star Wars, but how the park has been handled the past decade plus is inexcusable.

raven

It's not right, I totally agree, but, it isn't exactly something that has only happened at Disney either. If you saw the question I asked about the potential power that the CM's have if they decided to exercise it, could stop the crap. But, I doubt that they have the moxie to take the chance to make things better for themselves. Like someone said before... let there be a day that the CM's don't show up and see how fast "the company" will listen. That requires a sacrifice on the part of the low level employees who probably don't have a whole bunch of reserve to carry them through a confrontation, but, it may be necessary to change the attitude of the big bucks boys and girls. In the long run, it could make things much better. It also could make things much worse. That's the gamble! However, with the untapped power of the CM's, they could bring Disney Parks, Iger and his cronies to their knees. None of this would work unless a vast majority of the CM's were willing to take a roll in it.[\QUOTE]

That's not going to happen and Inwill tell you why. The "vast majority" of these CMs make less than $9/hour. These are the CMs on the front line where a walk-out would do the most harm to the company that they would need to make a change. But where are they going to go? Where will they get their income? There isn't enough jobs elsewhere to immediately soak up a giant walk-out like that where people's lives won't be interrupted.

Disney also holds it over CMs heads (implied, not spoken) that if you don't want this job or salary there are a hundred people at casting who'd do it. That's not exactly the best position to be in when you make such a low income. A walk-out would have a huge personal impact on them. Disney knows this and they have their CMs by the nads because of this.

raven

It's not right, I totally agree, but, it isn't exactly something that has only happened at Disney either. If you saw the question I asked about the potential power that the CM's have if they decided to exercise it, could stop the crap. But, I doubt that they have the moxie to take the chance to make things better for themselves. Like someone said before... let there be a day that the CM's don't show up and see how fast "the company" will listen. That requires a sacrifice on the part of the low level employees who probably don't have a whole bunch of reserve to carry them through a confrontation, but, it may be necessary to change the attitude of the big bucks boys and girls. In the long run, it could make things much better. It also could make things much worse. That's the gamble! However, with the untapped power of the CM's, they could bring Disney Parks, Iger and his cronies to their knees. None of this would work unless a vast majority of the CM's were willing to take a roll in it. If the majority feel that it isn't bad enough to do anything that severe, then nothing will ever change and perhaps the griping should cease.

(2nd attempt. Mobile doesn't like me tonight)

That's not going to happen and Inwill tell you why. The "vast majority" of these CMs make less than $9/hour. These are the CMs on the front line where a walk-out would do the most harm to the company that they would need to make a change. But where are they going to go? Where will they get their income? There isn't enough jobs elsewhere to immediately soak up a giant walk-out like that where people's lives won't be interrupted.

Disney also holds it over CMs heads (implied, not spoken) that if you don't want this job or salary there are a hundred people at casting who'd do it. That's not exactly the best position to be in when you make such a low income. A walk-out would have a huge personal impact on them. Disney knows this and they have their CMs by the nads because of this.

Goofyernmost

I use to be one that went to Walt Disney Parks only once every 4 or 5 years. Could not afford to go more often. So the trips where planned well in advance and around something happening in my life, usually a move, change in jobs or a child graduating from school. So the date for my trips where locked in about a year or two in advance. So just saying I will wait another year was not very particle. I know a lot of my friends are the same way. So I think most visitor for this summer and into the fall have already committed so that delaying the trips may not be possible. Now if you are looking a reductions next year based on what will happen this summer, I could see reduction in visitor based on bad experiences this year due to annual visitor not returning and others who may be able to delay.
I don't disagree, but, if you know 2 years in advance and are flexible, which a lot of people are, why wouldn't you wait until there was something new. That would be especially true if you either weren't sure you could ever go back or knew you couldn't. I would wait until I knew I was going to get the maximum out of my money.

That, of course, as you pointed out, is not true for everyone, but, it doesn't have to be everyone in order to have a decline in attendance. I didn't say empty, just a significant number that decided to wait. That would be me at this point. That is exactly the way I feel. However, since I don't seem to be getting any younger, I am of the mind that perhaps an incomplete Disney is better then no Disney at all. So I am on the fence.

Just a personal opinion here, but, I don't think that the cuts are going to be noticed by anyone that wasn't aware it was happening (which is the majority of the guests).

Goofyernmost

(2nd attempt. Mobile doesn't like me tonight)

I said that I didn't think that they had the drive/passion to do it, I'm just saying that they can have management by the "nads". So close and yet so far away.

raven

I said that I didn't think that they had the drive/passion to do it, I'm just saying that they can have management by the "nads". So close and yet so far away.
I will agree it would shake things up a bit and make management sit up and listen, but then those CM's that took a stand would no longer be employed. So they would gain nothing from their action...except a lot of free time to think about what they did. Unions? Nah. We all know they do nothing for Disney employees.

DarthMileZ

Shame on them then for being that short sighted and ignorant that they were basing the quality of an entire park on a single franchise. I love Star Wars, but how the park has been handled the past decade plus is inexcusable.

i agree, disney paris' studios park is just as bad if not worse as well... i don't think they quite know how to work the theme... it's obviously just a reaction to Universal's parks

Rteetz

i agree, disney paris' studios park is just as bad if not worse as well... i don't think they quite know how to work the theme... it's obviously just a reaction to Universal's parks
Disney studios Paris was thrown together because Paris waned a second park but Disney really didn't. They have done somethings to it to fix it up recently like the all new ratatouille area which from what I've heard is quite nice.

DarthMileZ

Disney studios Paris was thrown together because Paris waned a second park but Disney really didn't. They have done somethings to it to fix it up recently like the all new ratatouille area which from what I've heard is quite nice.

makes sense, i haven't been there since 2004, it was my first ever disney trip and i remember loving magic kingdom but being slightly bored at the other... i need to get back there but with the euro tunnel / refugee crisis its been fustrating, and now they are doing a big refurb so i dont see the point in going right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom