Cuts coming to every area of parks and resorts - thanks to Shanghai and Paris

Goofyernmost

Actually that person I was talking about has a friend who works for Add It Up Benefits who called them and made that suggestion to them before they were cut off. That wasn't a company idea.
That wasn't the point really. I understand what you are saying, a rogue employee made the decision to inform the CM of something that would be helpful to them. My point was that this terrible thing was avoided by the act of an employee of THE COMPANY. Companies are empty frames until you add people. I doubt that "the company" singled out this individual and made a policy based on that specific retirement plan. They weren't being mean to an individual, they were implementing a policy that would affect a number of people that fell into that particular time. This was depicted as a personal thing which, to the person was indeed personal, but, it was not just a way to get this individual person. To a company that size people do not exist unless the people force the issue. To the "company" they are numbers on a payroll voucher and expense spreadsheets.

It's not right, I totally agree, but, it isn't exactly something that has only happened at Disney either. If you saw the question I asked about the potential power that the CM's have if they decided to exercise it, could stop the crap. But, I doubt that they have the moxie to take the chance to make things better for themselves. Like someone said before... let there be a day that the CM's don't show up and see how fast "the company" will listen. That requires a sacrifice on the part of the low level employees who probably don't have a whole bunch of reserve to carry them through a confrontation, but, it may be necessary to change the attitude of the big bucks boys and girls. In the long run, it could make things much better. It also could make things much worse. That's the gamble! However, with the untapped power of the CM's, they could bring Disney Parks, Iger and his cronies to their knees. None of this would work unless a vast majority of the CM's were willing to take a roll in it. If the majority feel that it isn't bad enough to do anything that severe, then nothing will ever change and perhaps the griping should cease.

Goofyernmost

When do expect to see this drop in attendance. All trends seem to be up and with Avatar, Saw Wars, and Toy Story expanding the parks, I do not see this happening.
The cuts are happening now.. not necessarily after all those places open. Avatar is the only one really even under construction at this point. I would say that they are expecting a drop this summer based on the fact that it is now wide spread knowledge that many places have closed and a huge mess is logically to follow. Many people that otherwise might have gone in the next year would wisely wait awhile until these things are up and running. That would make, by the looks of things, at least a couple of years of "why bother going now, let's wait until (fill in the blank) is a reality. It won't be any problem to quietly reverse that policy if they see that the masses are continuing to show up. In other words, with the exception of a few people that may fall through the cracks, it isn't all that unreasonable. We wanted them to look ahead and that is the most logical thing that could happen in the near future. As everyone is so fond of saying... there has to be a reversal of fortune somewhere along the line... this could be it.

space42

The cuts are happening now.. not necessarily after all those places open. Avatar is the only one really even under construction at this point. I would say that they are expecting a drop this summer based on the fact that it is now wide spread knowledge that many places have closed and a huge mess is logically to follow. Many people that otherwise might have gone in the next year would wisely wait awhile until these things are up and running. That would make, by the looks of things, at least a couple of years of "why bother going now, let's wait until (fill in the blank) is a reality. It won't be any problem to quietly reverse that policy if they see that the masses are continuing to show up. In other words, with the exception of a few people that may fall through the cracks, it isn't all that unreasonable. We wanted them to look ahead and that is the most logical thing that could happen in the near future. As everyone is so fond of saying... there has to be a reversal of fortune somewhere along the line... this could be it.

Think they'll bring back the Mickey shaped butter , Keel boats and canoes on ROA, custom printed napkins, missing chicken finger ;) , and all of the other cuts once they start making an acceptable profit again ?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

Let's say those predicting that service is going to go south quickly and these cuts do end up effecting visitors to Walt Disney World so bad that they want to stop coming in record numbers, I think it would still be a year or two to see a significant drop.

Goofyernmost

Let's say those predicting that service is going to go south quickly and these cuts do end up effecting visitors to Walt Disney World so bad that they want to stop coming in record numbers, I think it would still be a year or two to see a significant drop.
Possibly, but, if there is nothing to see now and a future that says give it awhile. Why wouldn't you wait and go when the new stuff is there. Again I'm talking about once in a lifetime people that have done any research.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Possibly, but, if there is nothing to see now and a future that says give it awhile. Why wouldn't you wait and go when the new stuff is there. Again I'm talking about once in a lifetime people that have done any research.

I use to be one that went to Walt Disney Parks only once every 4 or 5 years. Could not afford to go more often. So the trips where planned well in advance and around something happening in my life, usually a move, change in jobs or a child graduating from school. So the date for my trips where locked in about a year or two in advance. So just saying I will wait another year was not very particle. I know a lot of my friends are the same way. So I think most visitor for this summer and into the fall have already committed so that delaying the trips may not be possible. Now if you are looking a reductions next year based on what will happen this summer, I could see reduction in visitor based on bad experiences this year due to annual visitor not returning and others who may be able to delay.

TP2000

Where is the Union in this. If things are this bad way is the Union not all over the press and making noise?
The Teamsters refuse to get involved because they know their Theme Park employee membership is living paycheck to paycheck in shared apartments stocked with Top Ramen, even with the OT they get.

A strike couldn't last more than one week, and even then you'd be asking Teamsters to miss their car payment or rent. The Teamsters core dues paying membership in Orlando simply can't afford to miss a day of work, let alone the three to four weeks of a full strike it would take to actually cause change.

So the Teamsters leadership quietly skims off dues money each week and pretends they are doing something about it to any member stupid enough to ask.

RonnieHare

Ironically the only person in the Disney empire who actually has a strong for the love of Disney parks is John Lassiter - the head of Pixar.

He gets it, and shares the love. It's very unlikedely he will move from Pixar, but that would be the dream.

Iger has shown he only responds if profit falls. When Disney California Adventure started dropping in attendance, that is when he invested. When Hong Kong started to drop, that's when they invested some new attractions.

Simply avoid going for a few years.

betty rose

My perspective is from a senior, hubby and I. I love that we can check our bags, and have them delivered to the room. I love that there is a bus to our resort (DVC), and I love that I feel secure in Disney World. It may be a false sense of security, but I feel it. Do I like the cuts, absolutely not. I've been going since 1972. I see all the reduction of maintenance in the parks, especially the women's bathrooms. They are really disgusting. But, why don't women or kids, flush the toilets, leave toilet seat covers on a used toilet without flushing? Paper towels strewn on the floors, and general gunk , as in personal products , left on the floor? Maybe the general public is getting what we deserve, with our horrible lack of personal responsibility. We are getting a much less experience but, Disney isn't responsible for people's terrible nastiness. I feel so sorry for the C M's that have to put up with this on a daily basis. They should be making the CEO's salary. JMHO

betty rose

The Teamsters refuse to get involved because they know their Theme Park employee membership is living paycheck to paycheck in shared apartments stocked with Top Ramen, even with the OT they get.

A strike couldn't last more than one week, and even then you'd be asking Teamsters to miss their car payment or rent. The Teamsters core dues paying membership in Orlando simply can't afford to miss a day of work, let alone the three to four weeks of a full strike it would take to actually cause change.

So the Teamsters leadership quietly skims off dues money each week and pretends they are doing something about it to any member stupid enough to ask.
My dad worked in a factory with the teamsters union. After a couple of years, they were thrown out, because of what you just said. I hope the workers can organize and get a Union that will represent them.

DarthMileZ

@ford91exploder was another in his glowing praise of Bob Iger. Almost messiah like praise.

Where is he now? Suddenly become very quiet. It's been known in the industry for a while now, that Bob Iger has no interest in theme parks, the lack of a single e-ticket attraction under his tenure, and one in California is testament what a terrible CEO he is for the theme park division.

The slow time frame for projects has been deliberate as it has been calculated - avoid as long as you possibly can to pay for projects. He just doesn't want to invest in the parks. 2 and half years for an overlay for Frozen ?! 5 years for Avatar ?! Give me a break.

bob-iger.jpg

The man is an utter corporate man, caters to his shareholders, above anyone else. His true love is movies - along with his vanity projects that almost destroyed the movie division, JOHN CARTER OF MARS, PRINCE OF PERSIA, LONE RANGER - thee biggest flops in movie history.

A horrendous choice as CEO. The worst thing is we are stuck with him. He can keep liquidating the theme parks, destroy them, take out assets as long as he gets his share holders money and they will not kick him out.

He is no visionary - he is not Steve Jobs who has a passion, he is no Steven Spielberg, nothing. JUST A CORPORATE MAN, who is dictated by $$$ NOTHING ELSE. No love, no even sense of pride or honour in his job, or to create a lasting legacy.

NOTHING. NOTHING. If we do nothing and just watch him destroy our parks he will get away with it.

the reason those movies flopped wasn't down to him

i think people are forgetting, the guy made the choice to buy the star wars franchise and then invisted in a dying park (DHS) to create an experience based on that franchise

people need to relax.

tribbleorlfl

Where is the Union in this. If things are this bad way is the Union not all over the press and making noise?
It's because most modern unions are largely uselss, only concerned with keeping dues coming to pay union executives rather than truly representing their members. Unions have become businesses unto themselves.

I'm not saying there is anything shady going on or money changing hands, I just think the unions out on property don't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

Cesar R M

A blink. I live in a community with lots of WDW mid level Mgrs who already scheduled next week for one parade, who are now having to go back and make a new labor schedule. The one parade schedule was already posted to the cast schedules on the Hub. I trust the information as several Mgrs are in my poker circle.

Expect more embarrassing blinks as the decision to cut as much as they have is just plain stupid with no regard for the guests or cast.
at least some managers managed to open their goddarn eyes and not just "see nothing, hear nothing" as they cut to look pretty to their overlords.

NearTheEars

@ford91exploder was another in his glowing praise of Bob Iger. Almost messiah like praise.

Where is he now? Suddenly become very quiet. It's been known in the industry for a while now, that Bob Iger has no interest in theme parks, the lack of a single e-ticket attraction under his tenure, and one in California is testament what a terrible CEO he is for the theme park division.

The slow time frame for projects has been deliberate as it has been calculated - avoid as long as you possibly can to pay for projects. He just doesn't want to invest in the parks. 2 and half years for an overlay for Frozen ?! 5 years for Avatar ?! Give me a break.

bob-iger.jpg

The man is an utter corporate man, caters to his shareholders, above anyone else. His true love is movies - along with his vanity projects that almost destroyed the movie division, JOHN CARTER OF MARS, PRINCE OF PERSIA, LONE RANGER - thee biggest flops in movie history.

A horrendous choice as CEO. The worst thing is we are stuck with him. He can keep liquidating the theme parks, destroy them, take out assets as long as he gets his share holders money and they will not kick him out.

He is no visionary - he is not Steve Jobs who has a passion, he is no Steven Spielberg, nothing. JUST A CORPORATE MAN, who is dictated by $$$ NOTHING ELSE. No love, no even sense of pride or honour in his job, or to create a lasting legacy.

NOTHING. NOTHING. If we do nothing and just watch him destroy our parks he will get away with it.

You have the wrong person. I don't think @ford91exploder has praised anything or anyone. Ever.

Cesar R M

You can silence some unions.. they do it all the time in countries like Mexico.. by paying them obscene amounts of money (still cheaper than increase salaries and hours)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom