current gas prices

Craig & Lisa

We had already planned to drive down next month but I was just curious as to what the current price of gas is along our route. We will be traveling the east coast 95 from NJ. And I have been looking at the airfare and at this point even with a stop down and back it's still less than 2 roundtrip tic's on a plane to drive. Thanks. Less than a month till AKLV with a Grand Gathering :sohappy::sohappy:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
We had already planned to drive down next month but I was just curious as to what the current price of gas is along our route. We will be traveling the east coast 95 from NJ. And I have been looking at the airfare and at this point even with a stop down and back it's still less than 2 roundtrip tic's on a plane to drive. Thanks. Less than a month till AKLV with a Grand Gathering :sohappy::sohappy:

I don't know where in NJ you are, but if you can fly out of Atlantic City on Spirit Airlines it could end up being a lot cheaper (and faster!) than driving. In January my friend and I flew from AC to MCO for $38/round trip per person.
http://www.spiritair.com/welcome.aspx

However you get there, I hope you have a magical Grand Gathering! :wave:

(And yay! for escaping cold, snowy, NJ for a little while!)
160.png

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I don't know where in NJ you are, but if you can fly out of Atlantic City on Spirit Airlines it could end up being a lot cheaper (and faster!) than driving. In January my friend and I flew from AC to MCO for $38/round trip per person.

160.png
If they're going for a Grand Gathering, they may have enough people in the vehicle to make driving more economical even with airfare at those prices. :shrug:

Upvote 0

MarkeyMouse

We are in nj also, if you go on AAA.com they have fuel finder and gas price for a round trip it averaged about $257 last summer for us but you can figure it out there. You type in your make and model of your car , the year (of the car) ....we put in ny to orlando and it spits out the cost.... Have a great time and be safe.:animwink: OH and if you have credit card points cash them in for a 25 or 50 dollar best western card there is a great one in savannah GA to stop overnight....we get pooped around that time.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Just got back Thursday from a trip to PA. Gas in Jersey is cheaper than PA and NY. Gas in Jersey was $2.91, PA cheapest was $3.05 and NY is $3.19. If you look at mapquest, there is a button for looking at gas anywhere.:)

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

If they're going for a Grand Gathering, they may have enough people in the vehicle to make driving more economical even with airfare at those prices. :shrug:

The OP mentions 2 airline tickets, so maybe they are meeting the rest of their party there. If they can find a deal on Spirit, $76 round trip air will be cheaper than gas in even the most economical vehicle from NJ.

Upvote 0

LordHelmut

Imho

And I can be wrong, but....

From NJ you will most likely be looking for gas in VA.

Exit 104 is a truckstop/restaurant area. Generally lowest fuel price (gas/diesel)

Exit 130-133 (central park) has wawa's (generally low price - goto the 'b' exit vs the 'a' exit) which is sometimes higher than than 104. (you enter VA at about mile marker 179 to judge your distance)

You next stop (again guessing at a generic car/mileage) is in South Carolina. Try to hit something in the middle of the state, those stations/truckstops had the best prices a month ago.

And believe it or not, absolutely use the HESS stations on property @ near MK and DTD. Best fuel prices around @ Disney. Off-site stations have been $.30 higher per gallon.

That said, I am heading down on the 1st of March, so I'll be looking for inexpensive fuel myself.

(Spirit air rocks, AC airport is generally a walk thru, smaller airport, cheap fairs too...)

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
And I can be wrong, but....

From NJ you will most likely be looking for gas in VA.

Exit 104 is a truckstop/restaurant area. Generally lowest fuel price (gas/diesel)

Exit 130-133 (central park) has wawa's (generally low price - goto the 'b' exit vs the 'a' exit) which is sometimes higher than than 104. (you enter VA at about mile marker 179 to judge your distance)

You next stop (again guessing at a generic car/mileage) is in South Carolina. Try to hit something in the middle of the state, those stations/truckstops had the best prices a month ago.

And believe it or not, absolutely use the HESS stations on property @ near MK and DTD. Best fuel prices around @ Disney. Off-site stations have been $.30 higher per gallon.

That said, I am heading down on the 1st of March, so I'll be looking for inexpensive fuel myself.

(Spirit air rocks, AC airport is generally a walk thru, smaller airport, cheap fairs too...)

I couldn't agree more...that is why I recommend Spirit to anyone from NJ. Driving can be cheaper in comparison to most airlines, but Spirit beats driving any day. I am not a fan of road trips so having Spirit at my disposal is the best thing to ever happen to me for travel to Disney. :lol:

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Original Poster

160.png
I just checked their website and the best I can find going down next month is 114.00 down and about 254.00 coming back. Almost 400 RT, so for that amount we could drive for alot less. And have plenty left over for stops.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I just checked their website and the best I can find going down next month is 114.00 down and about 254.00 coming back. Almost 400 RT, so for that amount we could drive for alot less. And have plenty left over for stops.

Sorry it didn't work out for you this time. However, sign up for their newsletter. They do the "Red Light Specials" every week and they sometimes do fares as low as $.02! :eek:

Since it looks like you will be driving, hook up with AAA. They have great road trip planning services that can help you find the cheapest gas and hotels along the way.

Oh, and just another question, is there a special occasion for this Grand Gathering?
mickey.gif

Upvote 0

DisneyGigi

About 3.20 ish in the South... :rolleyes: (compared to around 2.70 last year when we went.
We may fly if things don't change.
Have you have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
About 3.20 ish in the South... :rolleyes: (compared to around 2.70 last year when we went.
We may fly if things don't change.
Have you have a great trip!
Gas prices here spiked by almost 20% last week. Hopefully they'll settle down a bit before your trip. The cost increase was blamed on the combination of supply problems, the U.S. economy and a refinery fire... Hate when that happens!

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Just got back Thursday from a trip to PA. Gas in Jersey is cheaper than PA and NY. Gas in Jersey was $2.91, PA cheapest was $3.05 and NY is $3.19. If you look at mapquest, there is a button for looking at gas anywhere.:)

Gas is always cheaper in NJ (for now) and we often make the hop over the border. Here in town Regular is going for $3.29.9/gallon.

Upvote 0

maryszhi

i live in west suburban chicago and well gas is quite expensive, exp. holiday time. i mean all gas places hit their peak at price during the holdiays.
sometimes you cn fly cheaper, which is why bf choosing to drive, unless u have to drive for we reason, call a few airlines, or shop online. ud be surprised at some of the deals.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Original Poster
Oh, and just another question, is there a special occasion for this Grand Gathering?
mickey.gif
[/quote]
We had invited my brother-in-law and his family down in Nov of 06, he's in the military, (AF), and he and his wife had not had a vacation, married 13 years. Also surprised neice and nephew with grandpa. But at the time his wife was having problems with the thyroid and calcium was causing sezures. Had two while we were there. That has been taken care of but now she has another, but is determined to go, she really likes the place, and for the life of me I can't figure out why??? :confused::shrug: She's a plant freak, so 2 days before we arrive the F&GF start, we told her this and she is in heaven. And grandpa is coming too but dad and the kids don't know it till they get there. So with my family that will make 9, so we got it together and gave it the title of Let's Try Again, as a joke hopefully we will have shirts made up. Oh I forgot to mention when we were there in 06 my B-I-L also did the flag retreat in the MK, just to add to the experience, kids and wife loved seeing him do it.

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
mickey.gif
We had invited my brother-in-law and his family down in Nov of 06, he's in the military, (AF), and he and his wife had not had a vacation, married 13 years. Also surprised neice and nephew with grandpa. But at the time his wife was having problems with the thyroid and calcium was causing sezures. Had two while we were there. That has been taken care of but now she has another, but is determined to go, she really likes the place, and for the life of me I can't figure out why??? :confused::shrug: She's a plant freak, so 2 days before we arrive the F&GF start, we told her this and she is in heaven. And grandpa is coming too but dad and the kids don't know it till they get there. So with my family that will make 9, so we got it together and gave it the title of Let's Try Again, as a joke hopefully we will have shirts made up. Oh I forgot to mention when we were there in 06 my B-I-L also did the flag retreat in the MK, just to add to the experience, kids and wife loved seeing him do it.[/quote]

Awww...such a nice story. I truly hope this trip works out better for you than the last round. That is so awesome that your BIL got to do the flag retreat too! Definitely try to get shirts made! They will help you strike up lots of conversations with guests and CMs while you are there. :wave:

If you have never been during Flower and Garden Festival, you are in for a real treat too! Epcot is already gorgeous but F and G really ups the ante on the landscaping!

mickey.gif

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Original Poster
Thanks, my family and I have been there during the F&GF so we know what is going on but for my S-I-L it just adds sugar to the dessert, and I get some ideas for my gardens from there too. Their kids will love the butterfly enclosure too. The shirts are made for us if we want them by the Grand Gathering people too.

Upvote 0

mousebymarriage

We drove down from Bergen County , N.J. in April 2007 and my DH says if he remembers correctly it cost us approx. $350 round trip for gas. At the time we had a 2005 Chrysler Voyager minivan. However we did stop overnight each way and it cost about $100 per night.
We just returned from vacation in Disney Jan.29th - Feb. 5th and we flew out of Newark on JetBlue and for our family of 4 it cost us $555 total round trip with taxes, fees etc. (The price was listed as $59 per person each way plus taxes and fees), it was a non-stop flight.
O.K. so it cost us $5 more to fly which is nothing and we also didn't have to worry about stopping to eat along the way like with driving. I would much rather fly and we there in under 3 hours than drive and have it take 18 hours.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom