Cupcakes Delivered to Your Room

lebeau

The Great Cupcake Caper

Hey all,

I have an unusual dilemma hopefully someone can assist me with. On our last trip, my wife fell in love with the chocolate cupcakes (with vanilla frosting) served at the Port Orleans Riverside food court. These are very ordinary cupcakes, but that's what she likes about them. No other cupcake will suffice - a point which she has made abundantly clear over and over again.

We are planning to stay at the Art of Animation Resort this Nov. This puts the Port Orleans cupcakes out of reach. I kid you not, when my wife discovered that the food court at Art of Animation did not serve the exact same cupcakes as Port Orleans Riverside, she went bananas. To the point where I seriously considered switching resorts (which would be difficult since there are 5 of us this time) solely based on the availability of these plain chocolate cupcakes.

We won't have a car. But if we do stick to the plan and stay at Art of Animation, I am seriously considering renting a cab just to run over to Port Orleans and buy some cupcakes. These very specific cupcakes could make or break the trip (then again, if you have read my 2010 trip report, just about anything can tip the apple cart where that is concerned).

I was also wondering if there was any way to have cupcakes from one resort delivered to another. I know Disney will deliver gifts and such to your room. I called the hotline to inquire about having these cupcakes delivered to our room and they were no help at all. They gave me a line for specialty cakes, but they delivered to restaurants rather than in-room deliveries.

I fully suspect that my wife will take one bite of these cupcakes and say they don't live up to her memory of them. But if there is a way for me to deliver the (sure to disappoint) cupcakes and be a hero for 10 seconds without mortgaging the house, I'm game. Any suggestions?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Those are some solid ideas.

We have been to the Main Street bakery. They have very similar looking cupcakes. But they are "not the same". She did have breakfast there one morning and if I remember correctly she liked the breakfast sandwich she got. I'm sure she will be doing this again.

On the last trip, we had planned in advance to eat a quick breakfast in our room before going to the park. Something like a Pop Tart or a Nutrigrain bar. I had asked everyone what they wanted and packed accordingly. On the first morning, I unpacked the breakfast bars and the response was, "You were serious about that?" The "quick breakfast" plan went out the window. But she was much happier after her hot breakfast every morning. Now I know.

If I end up getting a taxi, I'll extend the invitation to anyone who wants to join me. My guess is I will end up going alone or with my oldest daughter. Mindy has no desire to revisit Port Orleans. She just wants the cupcakes.

Even that isn't entirely true. She tells me the cupcakes are beside the point. There's some kind of principle at work here that I don't fully grasp. I should probably watch more Dr. Phil or something.
I think getting her to stop watching might produce better results.:lol:

Upvote 0

lebeau

Original Poster
what makes these boards so great are these posts that you just never expect. hope the cupcakes live up to her expectations. haha:lol:

I will bet dollars to cupcakes that they won't. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

One key difference between this trip and the last is that my mom will be coming with us. This should put Mindy on her "best behavior". So even if we run into some bump in the road, I don't think she'll glare at me for hours on end like she did last time.

Even so, I'll make sure she has a hot breakfast, cupcakes and an afternoon break. My mom's presence can only go so far.

Going to POR in February. Now I gotta have those cupcakes!

Don't let my wife's endorsement get your expectations too high. What she likes about them is that they are very plain. If you want a standard chocolate cupcake with white frosting, these will do the trick. But they are not spectacular.

Have a great trip and let me know what you think of the cupcakes!

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Well, this wins for most entertaining thread this morning!

Some notes;

- There totally should be cupcake delivery and Zebra Dome delivery... yes, there needs to be Zebra Dome delivery!

- I guess I can see how your wife might be a saint in the WDW haters club but I don't get why the high maintenance... but I'm not a high maintenance kind of gal! I dragged (not quite dragged but had to convince) my husband to go on our first trip as a family back in '07 (the kids were only 14 mths and 3 - we were told we were crazy multiple times). But now my husband is more hooked than I am, he's planning the next trip on the way home from the last! I guess there's no chance of that happening to your wife...

- Just b/c the cupcakes are not on the menu pictured does not mean there won't be cupcakes. However one can not promise that they will be the same cupcakes as PO.

- Try Sunshine Seasons in The Land (Epcot) while you're there. They have a nice selection in their bakery. She may just find a sweet there that will replace the beloved cupcakes. And Epcot cupcakes will be easier logistics wise.

Upvote 0

lebeau

Original Poster
Well, this wins for most entertaining thread this morning!

Some notes;

- There totally should be cupcake delivery and Zebra Dome delivery... yes, there needs to be Zebra Dome delivery!

- I guess I can see how your wife might be a saint in the WDW haters club but I don't get why the high maintenance... but I'm not a high maintenance kind of gal! I dragged (not quite dragged but had to convince) my husband to go on our first trip as a family back '07 (the kids were only 14 mths and 3 - we were told we were crazy multiple times). But now my husband is more hooked than I am, he's planning the next trip on the way home from the last! I guess there's no chance of that happening to your wife...

- Just b/c the cupcakes are not on the menu pictured does not mean there won't be cupcakes. However one can not promise that they will be the same cupcakes as PO.

- Try Sunshine Seasons in The Land (Epcot) while you're there. They have a nice selection in their bakery. She may just find a sweet there that will replace the beloved cupcakes. And Epcot cupcakes will be easier logistics wise.

No. There is NO chance my wife will ever get hooked on WDW. None. She genuinely enjoys it for about an hour or two. Her ideal WDW vacation would include about 2 hours at DHS so she could ride Tower of Terror and eat at the 50's Prime Time Cafe. We would never see the inside of a bus. Port Orleans chocolate cupcakes would be readily available without having to stay at Port Orleans. It would never rain. There would be no walking. And the resort TV would play Dr. Phil, judge shows, 16 and Pregnant and the Real Housewives all day long. No getting up early. No pre-planning. Little to no walking around.

Mindy likes a relaxing vacation which is more or less the opposite of a Disney World vacation.

The other day we were at my parents house and the subject of the trip came up. And someone asked her, "How much longer are you expected to put up with this?" This is the attitude of most people I know. Being dragged to Disney World is torture and anyone who agrees to go more than once deserves a medal.

I would be surprised if there wasn't a similar cupcake available at AoA. Whether or not it will suffice is another matter.

We'll definitely stop by Sunshine Seasons. It was there that we had "The Breakfast That Saved the Trip (Sort of)" in 2010.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
lol

All I know about Dr. Oz is the guy must have stock in blueberries. Every time I see him on some show, he's pushing blueberries.
The Readers Digest version is the guy use to be a respected doctor. Once he got a daily show he found that it was impossible to fill 5 hours of content a week with "Eat healthy and exercise" so he embraced the cash cow of woo. Now he promotes everything from Reiki to John Edwards.

Upvote 0

Witchy Chick

I placed a couple phone calls this morning to see about room delivery for cupcakes. The people I spoke to acted as though I was requesting a delivery of plutonium for my Delorean. But I'll try again after AoA opens.

OMG -- I am laughing so hard that I am crying. At my desk. At work. bahahhahaaa

If she's not pregnant and having craving, then I would tell her too bad so sad.

Sadly, in my household, even pregnancy is not "reason" enough for crazy outlandish (no offense, lebeau) requests. :( During one of my pregnancies, a TV commercial for Taco Bell ran incessantly where a pregnant wife requested her hubby go to TB to get whatever nonsense food the commercial was promoting. Acting like the commercial had stirred some pregnancy cravings for me, I asked my hubby if he would go get me ??????? (Gordita, maybe?) from TB. Alas, no spoiling for me. :(

Clearly my hubs is the polar opposite from lebeau. :animwink:

(off to read The Ecstasy and Agony trip report)

Witchy

Upvote 0

lebeau

Original Poster
The Readers Digest version is the guy use to be a respected doctor. Once he got a daily show he found that it was impossible to fill 5 hours of content a week with "Eat healthy and exercise" so he embraced the cash cow of woo. Now he promotes everything from Reiki to John Edwards.

As someone who has never watched his show, that was the impression I got from afar. It's sad. I have seen him do his bit on other shows and his advice seemed sensible.

Lucky for me, Mindy doesn't like Dr. Oz. Not enough paternity tests, I think. Plus, she's not a big fan of blueberries.

Sadly, in my household, even pregnancy is not "reason" enough for crazy outlandish (no offense, lebeau) requests. :( During one of my pregnancies, a TV commercial for Taco Bell ran incessantly where a pregnant wife requested her hubby go to TB to get whatever nonsense food the commercial was promoting. Acting like the commercial had stirred some pregnancy cravings for me, I asked my hubby if he would go get me ??????? (Gordita, maybe?) from TB. Alas, no spoiling for me. :(

Clearly my hubs is the polar opposite from lebeau. :animwink:

(off to read The Ecstasy and Agony trip report)

Witchy

Hope you enjoy the TR!

Mindy was pregnant with Kara on out 2008 TR. That was something, let me tell you! That trip was planned before we got pregnant. We probably should have canceled.

I do tend to run to the store at the drop of a hat. Pregnant or not. For any of the girls. If Mindy was pregnant and she wanted the entire menu of Taco Bell, I would have delivered it with a smile.

Sadly, not all requests are so easy to fulfill.

Upvote 0

Annielkd

First, let me say I completely understand how important it is to have what you want. I LOVE the cupcakes at Beach Club (red velvet) Anyway... can I give you a piece of advice. Call Port Orleans and make sure they STILL have those chocolate cupcakes. I'm saying that because I don't remember seeing them when I went in February. This way you won't be searching for something you can't get.
If they have it, I would suggest speaking to the conceirge at AoA and see if they can have it delivered. They might help you out. After that, plan on a cab. If my husband would take a cab and go through all that work to make me happy, I have NO idea how happy that would make me.

Upvote 0

WendyTinkerbell

Could be some good news for you (or bad depending on how you look at it) but there are many more channels on the resort TV. Not sure if you are aware of the change, but now the resorts have some sort of DirecTV channel lineup.

Upvote 0

lebeau

Original Poster
First, let me say I completely understand how important it is to have what you want. I LOVE the cupcakes at Beach Club (red velvet) Anyway... can I give you a piece of advice. Call Port Orleans and make sure they STILL have those chocolate cupcakes. I'm saying that because I don't remember seeing them when I went in February. This way you won't be searching for something you can't get.
If they have it, I would suggest speaking to the conceirge at AoA and see if they can have it delivered. They might help you out. After that, plan on a cab. If my husband would take a cab and go through all that work to make me happy, I have NO idea how happy that would make me.

Boy, that's just a lot of good advice right there. I will do exactly this!

Thank you!

Upvote 0

Annielkd

Betty crocker makes a wonderful cupcake. Just substitute the oil with butter, add 1/4 more water, and add a package of sugar free chocolote pudding. I'll bet you it's much better than the ones there, and it will still be somewhat bland :) You are in a suite right? Do those have stoves?

Upvote 0

lebeau

Original Poster
Betty crocker makes a wonderful cupcake. Just substitute the oil with butter, add 1/4 more water, and add a package of sugar free chocolote pudding. I'll bet you it's much better than the ones there, and it will still be somewhat bland :) You are in a suite right? Do those have stoves?

Microwaves. So I doubt I will really be baking in-room. But that would be a blast. I would totally do it!

Back in college I remember a line of microwavable brownies. They were very popular in the dorms. Microwaves were technically contraband in the dorm, but everyone had one hidden somewhere. The brownies never quite turned out right, but they were good enough in a pinch. I wonder if they still make those. I don't think I've seen them in the supermarket in years.

Upvote 0

Annielkd

You can actually microwave a cupcake in a mug. If you get desperate while you are there, put up a post on how to make a microwave cupcake... and I'll be there for you! (Actually, it's further away to go to Walmart to get the stuff then it is to take the taxi to P.O.)

Upvote 0

Annielkd

Microwaves. So I doubt I will really be baking in-room. But that would be a blast. I would totally do it!

Back in college I remember a line of microwavable brownies. They were very popular in the dorms. Microwaves were technically contraband in the dorm, but everyone had one hidden somewhere. The brownies never quite turned out right, but they were good enough in a pinch. I wonder if they still make those. I don't think I've seen them in the supermarket in years.

They make a line of them... right now they sell them in a plastic bowl... they come out ok.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Aw, thanks!

We will. One way or another, this is going to be a great vacation. Even if I am baking cupcakes in our room.
11589579.jpg

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom