Crystal Palace now offering alcohol

Survivor

I hope the same. However, I don’t look at this as a sign of beer carts in the future. It’s a restaurant, most restaurants in the world (Disney World, and the Rest of the World) do serve alcohol.
Almost all restaurants do, but would you have a place like Chuck E Cheese who cater to kids parties serve alcohol because the parents have to come? I don't think so. I think adults can restrain themselves from drinking an alcoholic beverage at a character dining experienced aimed at children for 2 hours or so and then if they want a drink later go to Disney Springs.

StarWarsGirl

I agree that people under extreme heat, kids whining all day, walking all day, standing in lines can put anyone in a mood. Adding alcohol to the mix just stirs the pot even more in my opinion.
One or two drinks with dinner does not make most people drunk. You have to really be unable to hold your liquor if you are drunk after one or two drinks (and I'm assuming at Crystal Palace, they'll cut you off). It's wine and beer. It's not like they're adding a bar and letting guests take shots of vodka. In my case, I'd be more likely to fall asleep than act crazy with wine.

StarWarsGirl

Almost all restaurants do, but would you have a place like Chuck E Cheese who cater to kids parties serve alcohol because the parents have to come? I don't think so. I think adults can restrain themselves from drinking an alcoholic beverage at a character dining experienced aimed at children for 2 hours or so and then if they want a drink later go to Disney Springs.
I hate to tell you this, but Chuck E Cheese's serves beer and wine. Go on their website if you don't believe me.

Survivor

One or two drinks with dinner does not make most people drunk. You have to really be unable to hold your liquor if you are drunk after one or two drinks (and I'm assuming at Crystal Palace, they'll cut you off). It's wine and beer. It's not like they're adding a bar and letting guests take shots of vodka. In my case, I'd be more likely to fall asleep than act crazy with wine.
I agree that one or two drinks with dinner does not cause make people get drunk. I actually do not have a problem with Disney serving alcohol in certain restaurants, but I just feel at a Character Dining Experience is a bit tacky because it seems to be catered to children. I also explained I have never drank because I for one am underage and I also recently had to be on medicine so it just wouldn't have been smart.

Survivor

I hate to tell you this, but Chuck E Cheese's serves beer and wine. Go on their website if you don't believe me.
I haven't been there in such a long time and no one in my party would ever order it anyway especially at a kids party. That is basically what I am trying to say, there is nothing wrong with restaurants serving alcohol but places that cater to kids like Chuck E Cheese or a Character Dining they don't need that in my opinion.

StarWarsGirl

I haven't been there in such a long time and no one in my party would ever order it anyway especially at a kids party. That is basically what I am trying to say, there is nothing wrong with restaurants serving alcohol but places that cater to kids like Chuck E Cheese or a Character Dining they don't need that in my opinion.
From a business perspective, you have to make places geared for kids appeal to adults as well. In the case of your example, Chuck E Cheeses, I believe they revamped their menu and added alcohol so parents would want to bring their kids there. Otherwise, if the adults aren't happy, they won't bring their kids there.

Plenty of other character places serve alcohol, why not also Crystal Palace? Just because it's in MK? That's the point; guests who want or expect alcohol with meals will go elsewhere. It makes sense not to have alcohol served at kiosks and such to not turn MK into Epcot, but having alcohol at restaurants makes good business sense.

Leaving off the business perspective, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a kid seeing their parents drinking responsibly. In fact, if responsible drinking is inculcated into them from a young age, they will be more likely to be responsible drinkers themselves as they get older. In other countries, drinking is normal. In DLP, they serve alcohol because guests found it unthinkable not to have wine with their meals. France has a lower rate of deaths from drunk driving than the US The less of a taboo we make this as a society, the better off we'll be.

Survivor

From a business perspective, you have to make places geared for kids appeal to adults as well. In the case of your example, Chuck E Cheeses, I believe they revamped their menu and added alcohol so parents would want to bring their kids there. Otherwise, if the adults aren't happy, they won't bring their kids there.

Plenty of other character places serve alcohol, why not also Crystal Palace? Just because it's in MK? That's the point; guests who want or expect alcohol with meals will go elsewhere. It makes sense not to have alcohol served at kiosks and such to not turn MK into Epcot, but having alcohol at restaurants makes good business sense.

Leaving off the business perspective, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a kid seeing their parents drinking responsibly. In fact, if responsible drinking is inculcated into them from a young age, they will be more likely to be responsible drinkers themselves as they get older. In other countries, drinking is normal. In DLP, they serve alcohol because guests found it unthinkable not to have wine with their meals. France has a lower rate of deaths from drunk driving than the US The less of a taboo we make this as a society, the better off we'll be.
I totally understand where you are coming from. It certainly is good for business although I think Disney would do a great business without alcohol being served at Character Dining experiences. I do get where you are coming from though.

The point you made about a kid seeing a parent drinking responsibly is a very good one. I have been raised in a good Christian family, but have seen both my Mom and Dad have a drink or two with dinner and they are always responsible with it. So you do make a great point there. I wish more parents would drink responsibly so their kids would have a good influence to look up to. Thanks for pointed this out.

John park hopper

Studies have shown that a glass of wine before a meal stimulates your appetite and there are other benefits of having wine during your meal . I'm not a drinker gave it up years ago-see nothing wrong with Disney serving wine during a meal --- just drink responsibly

Last edited:

jaklgreen

I think that is the issue right there. WHY do adults feel like they need to have alcohol? There are plenty of us that go weeks/months/years without touching the stuff and are extremely happy. I guess that is why I don't understand why someone can't get through a vacation with their kids without touching the stuff. Especially at Disney prices. You need to have a drink that bad? Why can't an adult be happy without the "buzz" of an alcoholic drink. And we all know that is why people drink because just drinking it for "the taste" does not make you happy.

21stamps

I think that is the issue right there. WHY do adults feel like they need to have alcohol? There are plenty of us that go weeks/months/years without touching the stuff and are extremely happy. I guess that is why I don't understand why someone can't get through a vacation with their kids without touching the stuff. Especially at Disney prices. You need to have a drink that bad? Why can't an adult be happy without the "buzz" of an alcoholic drink. And we all know that is why people drink because just drinking it for "the taste" does not make you happy.

I don’t think that most people drink for a “buzz”, I think most drink for the taste.
I hate beer, but I like Summer Shandy and a few other Leinenkugels. I’m not going to drink any beer for a buzz.

I serve alcoholic drinks at my kid’s family birthday parties, at any family get together.. and it’s served at any get together that I attend.
This is normal for a good portion of the population. My kid knows what an adult drink is, and that he’s not allowed to have it.
He also knows what coffee is, and is also not allowed to have that.

Why does anyone need a Mickey Bar, or funnel cake, or piece of chocolate, a soda, or anything else that doesn’t serve any other purpose other than tasting good, but shouldn’t be overdone? Most things are fine in moderation.

Also, we had a school patio party last night.. We didn’t attend due to soccer conflict, but I saw plenty of photos- adults were drinking, kids were there. Everyone was fine, as always. Our school festival later on this summer-Yep, they serve alcohol too.
I think you’d have to try extremely hard to only attend places that are alcohol free.

Survivor

I don’t think that most people drink for a “buzz”, I think most drink for the taste.
I hate beer, but I like Summer Shandy and a few other Leinenkugels. I’m not going to drink any beer for a buzz.

I serve alcoholic drinks at my kid’s family birthday parties, at any family get together.. and it’s served at any get together that I attend.
This is normal for a good portion of the population. My kid knows what an adult drink is, and that he’s not allowed to have it.
He also knows what coffee is, and is also not allowed to have that.

Why does anyone need a Mickey Bar, or funnel cake, or piece of chocolate, a soda, or anything else that doesn’t serve any other purpose other than tasting good, but shouldn’t be overdone? Most things are fine in moderation.

Also, we had a school patio party last night.. We didn’t attend due to soccer conflict, but I saw plenty of photos- adults were drinking, kids were there. Everyone was fine, as always. Our school festival later on this summer-Yep, they serve alcohol too.
I think you’d have to try extremely hard to only attend places that are alcohol free.
21stamps I totally get what you are saying and for business purposes and for pretty much the norm you are correct. The thing that gets me though is this is Walt Disney World. What I mean by that is was this Walt's vision to have alcohol served at his parks or is this the decision of the higher up Business people of the company now? I always thought the company was to stick as close to Walt's vision as possible. I understand Walt has been dead for decades now and this is a big business, but deep down the man did have his vision and I don't ever remember in video tapes him saying alcohol is to be served as part of it. I also understand progress is a part of any business and Disney does a pretty good job with that with expansion of resorts and new rides which I think Walt would be proud of. This alcohol serving I don't think he'd be too proud of.

John park hopper

Just wait until they legalize pot and sell it in the parks ---- good business decision--- increase munchi sales. I am joking--- Neither a drinker nor smoker I be

StarWarsGirl

Maybe they don't need to have it, but what's the problem with offering it? No one's getting drunk; it's one or two drinks. What is the issue if an adult wants to order a drink?

21stamps

21stamps I totally get what you are saying and for business purposes and for pretty much the norm you are correct. The thing that gets me though is this is Walt Disney World. What I mean by that is was this Walt's vision to have alcohol served at his parks or is this the decision of the higher up Business people of the company now? I always thought the company was to stick as close to Walt's vision as possible. I understand Walt has been dead for decades now and this is a big business, but deep down the man did have his vision and I don't ever remember in video tapes him saying alcohol is to be served as part of it. I also understand progress is a part of any business and Disney does a pretty good job with that with expansion of resorts and new rides which I think Walt would be proud of. This alcohol serving I don't think he'd be too proud of.

I think you answered your own questions. Disney World has evolved to a much different destination than what it was- Larger, more things to do, more places to stay, spending 7 days at parks... it has become a weeklong primary destination within itself. Therefore, it needs to act for their guests.. that’s what businesses do, figure out what their guests want, and what will make money- a mutually beneficial offering.

Many adults want a drink with dinner. If someone does not want a drink with dinner, then they can easily not order one.
Win- Win.

Survivor

I think you answered your own questions. Disney World has evolved to a much different destination than what it was- Larger, more things to do, more places to stay, spending 7 days at parks... it has become a weeklong primary destination within itself. Therefore, it needs to act for their guests.. that’s what businesses do, figure out what their guests want, and what will make money- a mutually beneficial offering.

Many adults want a drink with dinner. If someone does not want a drink with dinner, then they can easily not order one.
Win- Win.
I think Walt's vision was to make a place where a family could spend a week together. So technically Disney World evolving into the huge business it is today that was part of his vision, but he also had the vision to keep it wholesome and family friendly and things are straying from that vision. I am not saying drinking one or two drinks can take away from a fun and wholesome family evening, I am just saying it is not part of his vision. I have seen when I was a little child belligerent drunks at the Food and Wine festival where my parents had to take me to another area away from the scene. So to say people don't get out of hand is not completely true.

21stamps

I think Walt's vision was to make a place where a family could spend a week together. So technically Disney World evolving into the huge business it is today that was part of his vision, but he also had the vision to keep it wholesome and family friendly and things are straying from that vision. I am not saying drinking one or two drinks can take away from a fun and wholesome family evening, I am just saying it is not part of his vision. I have seen when I was a little child belligerent drunks at the Food and Wine festival where my parents had to take me to another area away from the scene. So to say people don't get out of hand is not completely true.
People get out of hand with or without alcohol.
F&W Festival is also different than serving beer and wine at a couple of restaurants in MK.
A family vacation can still include alcohol.

Seriously, if someone doesn’t want to drink- fine, great, etc. But I really think it’s getting ridiculous to keep saying that drinking does not mesh with a wholesome family outing. It’s simply not true.

Live and let live.

Survivor

People get out of hand with or without alcohol.
F&W Festival is also different than serving beer and wine at a couple of restaurants in MK.
A family vacation can still include alcohol.

Seriously, if someone doesn’t want to drink- fine, great, etc. But I really think it’s getting ridiculous to keep saying that drinking does not mesh with a wholesome family outing. It’s simply not true.

Live and let live.
Did you not read my post above? I definitely did not say having or or two drinks would take away from a wholesome family vacation. It was just not part of Walt's vision.

Would you agree though that alcohol can fuel the fire of people getting out of hand?

21stamps

Did you not read my post above? I definitely did not say having or or two drinks would take away from a wholesome family vacation. It was just not part of Walt's vision.

Would you agree though that alcohol can fuel the fire of people getting out of hand?
If people are walking around all day with a drink in their hand, or taking shots of liquor- Yes.

At dinner drinking a couple of glasses of beer or wine- NO.

Walt’s vision was a family together, which Disney has always been, and still is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom