News Crossroads Plaza Faces Demoliton

beachlover4444

Before even reading the article I imagined this has something to do with the express lane additions and the expansion of I-4. Anyone who drives this on a regular basis knows that this is one of the worst areas for traffic jams. On a good day when I am driving from Tampa I run into traffic starting just before Osceola Parkway and sit there until after the east bound on ramp to I-4. When driving west late in the day, traffic is always a nightmare about 2 miles east of 535 until after the overpass because of people trying to exit onto 535. There are definitely some good stores and restaurants in this plaza but there is absolutely a need to help traffic flow on I-4, not to mention the complete mess of traffic on 535 exiting the interstate, trying to get into and out of the plaza and turning onto Hotel Plaza Blvd. I drive this route between Tampa and Orlando usually 2-3 times per week and hate driving through that area. I personally look forward to seeing something happen there.
Very true the traffic in this area is awful and i believe more than 15 percent turning right there is Disney related traffic. I've almost been hit there sitting in stopped traffic.

Brian

https://www.tribpub.com/gdpr/orlandosentinel.com/

So it’s all on hold until at least August 2021. Good news for Crossroads fans like me and I can continue escaping from the crowds at the parks to the warm and calm welcome of Perkins after a long, busy day. I can also get my Gooding’s fix. Let’s hope in 2021 they delay again!

Let's hope not! It's maddening to have to come to a near standstill around that area of I4 each and every day because of the horrible on/off ramps associated with that exit. This project needs to happen to save Central Floridian's sanity.

wdwjmp239

Let's hope not! It's maddening to have to come to a near standstill around that area of I4 each and every day because of the horrible on/off ramps associated with that exit. This project needs to happen to save Central Floridian's sanity.

I used to work at the TGI Friday's at the Crossroads Plaza (I was a traveler - came up from the Naples, Florida store back when Naples HAD a TGI Fridays) from 1995-1997. I always enjoyed coming up on the weekends because that's when I made my cash. Plus, Disney during the day and waiting tables at night? Such a hard life. :)

Skipper Dan

I'm with you! This horrendous area can't vanish quick enough!!

That place has been a part of our family vacations for years (29 of mine, to be exact). I have many memories in that Chevy’s & Uno... even that Taco Bell. I have yet to find a wife & make a family, but I’d hoped to make more memories with them there, one day. Late nights sayin’ “hey, Uno’s is still open!”

Remember that, when you say stuff like, “horrendous area” please.

halltd

That place has been a part of our family vacations for years (29 of mine, to be exact). I have many memories in that Chevy’s & Uno... even that Taco Bell. I have yet to find a wife & make a family, but I’d hoped to make more memories with them there, one day. Late nights sayin’ “hey, Uno’s is still open!”

They were referring to that section of I4 where traffic stops daily as horrendous...not the shopping plaza.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

See post #283 above -- you still have some time...

Last edited:

cheezbat

Yeah well what are they going to do about the area from exit 55 to exit 62? That’s WORSE for longer periods every day. I hate driving I-4. Makes me want to move to Montana.

ryguy

Something has to give between Universal to Reunion as far as traffic congestion. I would argue that 528 needs to be widen too. From Airport to 95. At least to the 417. Definitely a quality of life issue for those living in and around Otown.

Magic Feather

I’m sorry, but it’s absurd that that many businesses and that much land had to go for a rerouted exit.
Government waste at the highest level (and that amount too, while true to the value of the land, is not necessary). I wouldn’t even put this in my top 10 I-4 bad on/off ramps.

bpiper

I’m sorry, but it’s absurd that that many businesses and that much land had to go for a rerouted exit.
Government waste at the highest level (and that amount too, while true to the value of the land, is not necessary). I wouldn’t even put this in my top 10 I-4 bad on/off ramps.
From looking at the new roadway diagram, it looks like 1/2 of Crossroads will be used for retention ponds for runoff from I-4. The other 1/2 will be a circular down ramp to the intersection of Hotels Plaza Blvd. Also, they need the sand coming from those ponds to build up the roadway in several spots around the new interchange.

Maybe the driver for this project isn't the traffic mitigation, although that will definitely help, but really the storm water runoff for those new lanes of I-4 and a source of close sand for those built-up areas.

Animaniac93-98

RIP Crossroads.

I loved the Hallmark that used to be there with all the WDCC figures, and the McDonalds with its own collection of Disney memorabilia. Going there before breakfast was a great way to get excited for another day at Disney if you were staying off-site.

JoeCamel

From looking at the new roadway diagram, it looks like 1/2 of Crossroads will be used for retention ponds for runoff from I-4. The other 1/2 will be a circular down ramp to the intersection of Hotels Plaza Blvd. Also, they need the sand coming from those ponds to build up the roadway in several spots around the new interchange.

Maybe the driver for this project isn't the traffic mitigation, although that will definitely help, but really the storm water runoff for those new lanes of I-4 and a source of close sand for those built-up areas.
Have you ever driven through here? Like daily and on the interstate or surface? I can count on Champion's Gate and LBV to back up in this area, every day and for hours.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
FDOT has to be the worst department of transportation in the history of transportation. This is sad. I thought the Pensacola area was bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom