News Crossroads Plaza Faces Demoliton

halltd

The constant congestion on I4 Eastbound at the 535 interchange, which often stretches to US-192, I believe is because between it and US-192 there are four heavily used on-ramps to I4 in a short distance: US-192, Osceola Parkway, 536, and finally 535. The congestion almost always is relieved just beyond 535 because that is the point where there are finally four lanes instead of three. Then there are four lanes all the way to 528.
It's also because no one knows how to merge with the zipper method. Even if there's a mile to merge, they'll slam on the brakes when the roads first come together, then move into fast moving traffic that then has to basically stop. Same thing every day. So frustrating. I think people should have to retake the driving test every 10 years.

s8film40

The constant congestion on I4 Eastbound at the 535 interchange, which often stretches to US-192, I believe is because between it and US-192 there are four heavily used on-ramps to I4 in a short distance: US-192, Osceola Parkway, 536, and finally 535. The congestion almost always is relieved just beyond 535 because that is the point where there are finally four lanes instead of three. Then there are four lanes all the way to 528.
Yeah much of the problems on I-4 is this shifting between 3 to 4 lanes back and forth. If they would just make it a consistent 4 or maybe even 5 lanes all the way through it would go a LOT further than all these plans for fancy ramps and loops.
It's also because no one knows how to merge with the zipper method. Even if there's a mile to merge, they'll slam on the brakes when the roads first come together, then move into fast moving traffic that then has to basically stop. Same thing every day. So frustrating. I think people should have to retake the driving test every 10 years.
Yeah I think the real problem with much of the analysis you hear from these traffic engineers is they talk about computer modeling of the traffic. I don't think it really accounts for the human element. They plan all these things that work in a computer then when real people who shouldn't be driving anyway get on the roads it just doesn't work out.

Alice a

THIS x a million. Orlando has the worst mergers I've ever seen, bar none. Even Atlantans merge better.

jimbo mack

Have been visiting crossroads frequently over the past few days. A lot of staff on the ground across the restaurants / Goodings are saying it’s still only at the proposal stage and nothing has been confirmed. Some staff also say discussions are taking place in regards to relocation. If that’s the case can’t see this change happening by 2020??

s8film40

So I just happened to be passing this exit this evening around peak traffic time. I thought I would take the exit and drive through the intersection while recording it so those who aren’t as familiar with this intersection can see what it looks like at its busiest.

As you can see it’s pretty much like any other intersection you simply have to wait for the light depending on timing. There’s no real back up, the intersection handles a good volume of traffic quite well. If I were turning left into WDW, I likely would’ve made it through the intersection faster than taking that big proposed loop through what is now Crossroads.

Tori

This. Drivers freak out and hit the breaks thinking they have to get over immediately.

BigThunderMatt

THIS x a million. Orlando has the worst mergers I've ever seen, bar none. Even Atlantans merge better.

Well when you figure about 40% of the people driving this stretch at any given time have never driven it before, and are possibly not even familiar with the driving laws in this country, it's not really surprising.

MarkTwain

Anyone know yet how this is going, or how much longer the Crossroads area has left? Doing some trip planning for Christmas, just wondering if we'll be able to hit up some favorite restaurants before they go :)

wdwjmp239

What even is Crossroads? I have been to WDW 20+ times, and I have no clue what this place is.

Shopping plaza/strip mall. I used to work at the TGI Friday's there back in the mid 90s. Worked there on Friday's "Passport" program - great way for me to go visit Disney and pick up a couple of bartending/server shifts. So, this news upsets me a little....the LBV TGI Fridays getting demolished? Oh no! :(

wdwjmp239

Just wondering though, is this actually in the works? Is this definite that the plaza is going away? If so, you think the traffic is bad now - wait until the demolition and construction happens. SR 535 and Hotel Plaza Blvd is going to be a nightmare.

peter11435

Just wondering though, is this actually in the works? Is this definite that the plaza is going away? If so, you think the traffic is bad now - wait until the demolition and construction happens. SR 535 and Hotel Plaza Blvd is going to be a nightmare.

It is in the works.

During construction it will be bad. However the current infrastructure needs work and it can’t get better without getting worse first. The work is necessary.

BigThunderMatt

It is in the works.

During construction it will be bad. However the current infrastructure needs work and it can’t get better without getting worse first. The work is necessary.

They better get it done before the 50th or they're gonna have a nightmare on their hands, not that Galaxy's Edge is gonna be a walk in the park by any means.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That Perkins is probably the best one in Florida. I've been to Perkins in other parts of the state and they all suck. The servers at that Perkins are on point. Never had a bad meal or bad service in there.
I have found the same to be true of most of the places in that area. The service at the IHOP at Winter Garden and South Apopka always comes across as top notch. Even the McDonald's at the Crossroads is often quite pleasant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom