News Crossroads Plaza Faces Demoliton

jimbo mack

I won't be shocked if many of these show up in Flamingo Crossings or off 192.

No reason to believe they won't relocate unless they were already heading the wrong direction as a business.

I’ve been away from this forum for quite some time but had to log back in when I read in the news that Crossroads is closing down. I can’t find much info online for Flamingo Crossings - do you know where I can read an overview?

bUU

From looking at the new roadway diagram, it looks like 1/2 of Crossroads will be used for retention ponds for runoff from I-4. The other 1/2 will be a circular down ramp to the intersection of Hotels Plaza Blvd.
I see two overpasses to be built over 535, one where Perkins is (replacing the left turn at the end of the current exit ramp), and another at the current intersection of 535 and Hotel Plaza Blvd (replacing the left turn from 535 onto Hotel Plaza Blvd). So I think a major driver of this is adding safety by eliminating left turns.

I think there is also an underpass being added to help folks going from 535 South directly onto I-4 West, and another overpass being build across the street from Bahama Breeze to make the left turn from I-4 East onto 535 North safer, but those perhaps are separate from the Crossroads land acquisition.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Never ceases to amaze me how an entire state that would be most susceptible to melting ice caps continues to quadruple down on building around the automobile.

You forgot the other input to this equation: The state which relies on vacationers from Northern hellscapes visiting for income.

oogie boogie man

"See you at the the crossroads, so you want be lonely."

It's really too bad it's going away. I liked stopping at the Mickey D's before going into overpricedville.

Lilofan

I always did wonder about that too. Surely the Crossroads McDonald's is the world's most inefficient fast food restaurant?
Best 24/7 McDonalds and largest location in the world is at Sand Lake/I- Drive intersection near the Orlando convention center. It is a huge tourist attraction. The McDonalds by All Star is of high quality too . One can get the freshest fries too. Just ask for an order with no salt. The staff have to fry you a batch just for you. Then ask for a couple of salt packets before you leave.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Best 24/7 McDonalds and largest location in the world is at Sand Lake/I- Drive intersection near the Orlando convention center. It is a huge tourist attraction. The McDonalds by All Star is of high quality too .
That one's huge! I went there a few times back when I stayed close to UNI.

I really don't need anything fancy, just a quick cheeseburger that I gobble up during my evening walk. I hate cars so I don't have a driver's license, so shall likely never see the All Stars McDonald's from the inside, only from the bus.

Lilofan

I mean you could walk to it from All Star, I don't think it's that far down the road to it.
Several minutes walk and the location and dining room is open 24/7. But not sure during covid. One unique aspect of the McDonalds outside the entrance of All Star is the McDonalds location is solar powered. Prices are higher but that's because it is in WDW.

Last edited:

maxairmike

I mean you could walk to it from All Star, I don't think it's that far down the road to it.

There's a sidewalk that goes to it, but I personally would consider it to be a little far of a walk starting at Music, and if I was at Movies I probably wouldn't bother. Sports isn't bad, though. Probably a bit less than the distance of walking from DHS to Epcot if you're staying in the farthest building at Movies (straight line it's about the same, but that path to DHS/Epcot is anything but straight), which is a little far for McDonalds quality IMO unless you really want/need it. I'll walk that distance for a park, but not for McDonalds.

The Empress Lilly

That never occured to me, thanks!

I wish WDW would have more and clearer pathways everywhere. DS to TL * hint *
I love walking from EPCOT to DHS too, one of the few instances where it occurred to the planners that a lot of WDW commutes are within walking distance. Such as MK to TTC, which I can't wait to do next trip.

fgmnt

You forgot the other input to this equation: The state which relies on vacationers from Northern hellscapes visiting for income.
Even in that case, I would say the two largest-spending out-of-Florida contingents -- upper class Northeasterners and Brits/Europeans, have commuter and regional rail as a widespread and established institution instead of a weird hobby or privatized novelty like Florida does. I guess it's just a disappointing yet unsurprising evolution of the swamps: a place originally intended to have a nearly car-free city of the future is instead loaded up with the most labyrinthine suburbs, cyclical crappy strip malls, bombed-out motels, and an overall dearth of housing and infrastructure for the service economy that supports it all.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Even in that case, I would say the two largest-spending out-of-Florida contingents -- upper class Northeasterners and Brits/Europeans, have commuter and regional rail as a widespread and established institution instead of a weird hobby or privatized novelty like Florida does. I guess it's just a disappointing yet unsurprising evolution of the swamps: a place originally intended to have a nearly car-free city of the future is instead loaded up with the most labyrinthine suburbs, cyclical crappy strip malls, bombed-out motels, and an overall dearth of housing and infrastructure for the service economy that supports it all.

Class ? Social status has little sway on this side of the pond. The all mighty dollar is king. [Note all the money laundering locations] .
Population density has a lot to do with it. Florida is 57% of the size of the UK, but has 47 million fewer people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom