Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has said they think it would be acceptable to exclude employees who are not vaccinated when one is “available” and describes Emergency Use Authorization as “available.” Phrasing like “will likely be at odds with federal law if it requires its employees, students or other members to get a Covid-19 vaccine that is being distributed under emergency use authorization” suggest that despite so many headlines there is not a specific prohibition on the practice and it would likely fall to the courts to interpret.

See Section K for vaccine related questions.
I also think that if they offer an alternative like masking and distancing then that could bypass any legal liability. They could also potentially require daily or frequent testing for any kids not vaccinated. Either way you are providing an alternative for anyone opposed to the vaccine.

lazyboy97o

I also think that if they offer an alternative like masking and distancing then that could bypass any legal liability. They could also potentially require daily or frequent testing for any kids not vaccinated. Either way you are providing an alternative for anyone opposed to the vaccine.
That’s what I was thinking with something like a private school if they were still offering remote learning. Public schools would probably be different since they’re the mandatory base. It’ll be interesting to see if anyone files suit against Rutgers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
That’s what I was thinking with something like a private school if they were still offering remote learning. Public schools would probably be different since they’re the mandatory base. It’ll be interesting to see if anyone files suit against Rutgers.
I’m sure it will happen somewhere. I’m not sure how the courts will rule. It will be interesting. I do think public schools will have a hard time saying vaccination is required and the only alternative is virtual learning. That is a far different experience from in person learning. Either requiring frequent testing for the unvaccinated and/or require they wear masks and have special seating arrangements at least provides the same level and quality of education just with added safety protocols. It would be a lot harder to fight that in court.

Chi84

Premium Member
Rutgers is allowing students to request an exemption for medical or religious reasons. I’m not sure about “philosophical” reasons, which are allowed by many of the states that allow religious reasons.

correcaminos

Just to comment, I am not sure what is possible legally and what is not. I think people saying it can't may be surprised just as people pushing for it may not be able to. It will be what it will be. Vaccinating kids is good to limit the spread. It also will be less disruptive for quarantines and such.

I'm prepared to vaccinate my kid, required or not. My kid is now 13 years old. Taller than me by 4-5 inches and a bit heavier than me. I'm really not terribly worried if his petite mom can handle the vaccine no issues really. His dad had less of a sore arm than I did for Moderna so again not worried. Israel is reporting kids doing better with the vaccines than adults too.

I might attempt to schedule outside of school hours but it wouldn't drive me. Mentally just figuring it all out whenever they do give the green light.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

STINKING ABOUT TIME!
"Biden administration working to develop a system for people to prove they've been vaccinated"

HI & NY are working on their own "State" Systems. This is positive news, for everyone not desiring to load 50 separate stinking apps, on to their smart phone.

Rumrunner

Teachers are eligible now (or will be very soon). There's no legit reason to hold up returning to school for kids to be vaccinated. Many parents won't even consent for their kids to receive vaccines.
Kids are not likely tto be transmitters of covid and they probably will never need vaccines. The average person is 98 to 99% going to survive and have mild effects of covid but the press has some people in a state of constant fear. I realize covid has many unknowns but kids being at high risk is not one of them-nor are our younger adult population at high risk of death.
Those that have been properly informed have understood the risk and the proper behavioral and safety procedures from early in the pandemic.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Kids are extremely transmitters of covid and they probably will never need vaccines. The average person is 98 to 99% going to survive and have mild effects of covid but the press has some people in a state of constant fear. I realize covid has many unknowns but kids being at high risk is not one of them-nor are our younger adult population at high risk of death.
Those that have been properly informed have understood the risk and the proper behavioral and safety procedures from early in the pandemic.
Death isn’t the only negative outcome. We vaccinate kids for plenty of things that they aren’t necessary at high risk of death from. There’s a chickenpox vaccine and prior to the vaccine about a hundred kids a year died from the virus so hardly high risk. Millions of kids get a flu vaccine every year. I don’t want my kids to get covid and potentially feel sick or have long term issues so assuming the vaccine is approved why would I not get it for them? There is certainly far less risk with the vaccine than a Covid infection.

correcaminos

Kids are extremely transmitters of covid and they probably will never need vaccines. The average person is 98 to 99% going to survive and have mild effects of covid but the press has some people in a state of constant fear. I realize covid has many unknowns but kids being at high risk is not one of them-nor are our younger adult population at high risk of death.
I have a friend. 41 and a teacher (guess where they likely got it as their school didn't have many restrictions) . 6 months either out of work or working part time. Today was the first day they felt normal. In 6 months. No they weren't unhealthy, in fact running was a hobby. Makes me look overweight and I'm not... perfectly healthy prior. I have other 30-40 something friends who are long haulers too.

Not to mention losing 3 close friends in a month in addition to others I wasn't as close to.

I'm sorry but your tone deaf response makes me a bit angry. Your idea of properly informed is way off base.

Rumrunner

I have a friend. 41 and a teacher (guess where they likely got it as their school didn't have many restrictions) . 6 months either out of work or working part time. Today was the first day they felt normal. In 6 months. No they weren't unhealthy, in fact running was a hobby. Makes me look overweight and I'm not... perfectly healthy prior. I have other 30-40 something friends who are long haulers too.

Not to mention losing 3 close friends in a month in addition to others I wasn't as close to.

I'm sorry but your tone deaf response makes me a bit angry. Your idea of properly informed is way off base.
You find a few examples to make your case. That is the easy way to avoid the science. I will stand by my properly informed comment. This has been more like brainwashing and this site is one of the best example anywhere.

Just compare Disney World with Disneyland. One governor guided by science and facts and another govt guided by misinformation and fear.

Last edited:

Rumrunner

Death isn’t the only negative outcome. We vaccinate kids for plenty of things that they aren’t necessary at high risk of death from. There’s a chickenpox vaccine and prior to the vaccine about a hundred kids a year died from the virus so hardly high risk. Millions of kids get a flu vaccine every year. I don’t want my kids to get covid and potentially feel sick or have long term issues so assuming the vaccine is approved why would I not get it for them? There is certainly far less risk with the vaccine than a Covid infection.
I am not against kids getting the vaccine but to close down schools until they have the vaccine is not the answer.
My grandkids-all 6 of them have been in public schools since August and there have been absolutely no problems. Can't see how requiring a vaccine could improve on their situation.
I am not against vaccines and did not intent to give that impression. My second dose is scheduled for the 9th of April.

Hope everyone gets it that chooses to get it. In Texas our numbers have dropped by nearly 40% since all mask requirements and all businesses could open fully several weeks ago.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I am not against kids getting the vaccine but to close down schools until they have the vaccine is not the answer.
My grandkids-all 6 of them have been in public schools since August and there have been absolutely no problems. Can't see how requiring a vaccine could improve on their situation.
I am not against vaccines and did not intent to give that impression. My second dose is scheduled for the 9th of April.

Hope everyone gets it that chooses to get it. In Texas our numbers have dropped by nearly 40% since all mask requirements and all businesses could open fully several weeks ago.
I don’t know of any schools that said they would stay closed until there’s a vaccine. Is that happening? Schools around me are mostly open but kids need to wear masks, there’s distancing in classrooms and at lunch and certain activities are not happening. It’s still nothing like normal. I’d have no issue with the school requiring the vaccine if it means the kids can go back to regular classes and lunch, they can have all the normal activities and life can pretty much return to normal. If the CDC has started adjusting requirements based on vaccination status it’s not a far leap to to say if a kid is vaccinated then they can avoid the masks and distancing. This way those who chose to not get a vaccine don’t have to, they just need to wear masks and distance and quarantine if they have contact with a positive person and those who chose to get the vaccine can avoid masks/distancing and also avoid having to quarantine if a kid tests positive that sits near them. This could only happen if kids are approved for the vaccine and it’s readily available to them.

Rumrunner

I don’t know of any schools that said they would stay closed until there’s a vaccine. Is that happening? Schools around me are mostly open but kids need to wear masks, there’s distancing in classrooms and at lunch and certain activities are not happening. It’s still nothing like normal. I’d have no issue with the school requiring the vaccine if it means the kids can go back to regular classes and lunch, they can have all the normal activities and life can pretty much return to normal. If the CDC has started adjusting requirements based on vaccination status it’s not a far leap to to say if a kid is vaccinated then they can avoid the masks and distancing. This way those who chose to not get a vaccine don’t have to, they just need to wear masks and distance and quarantine if they have contact with a positive person and those who chose to get the vaccine can avoid masks/distancing and also avoid having to quarantine if a kid tests positive that sits near them. This could only happen if kids are approved for the vaccine and it’s readily available to them.
Schools are closed all over the nation and some are now saying they will stay closed until the kids and teachers are all vaccinated.

Those stories are all over the news and they are true. Of course this all led by the teacher's unions that enjoy their power.

If schools want to have common sense precautions that make people feel safe and they think will protect children I have no problems with that. Not sure it is based on any science but there are enough people that have been bombarded with misinformation maybe it will help them realize kids need to be in school.

Nothing positive has come from the unnecessary closing of schools for the kids or the parents.

bdearl41

I think there is a lot of anecdotal evidence on both sides of the kids spreading argument. While surely some kids can pass Covid the data flushes out they pass it at a lower rate than adults and a much lower rate than they do other virulents. If adults get vaccinated due to the incredibly low danger to kids, kids vaccination shouldnt be fully required for school. But what do I know. People are more scared of Covid than guns

bdearl41

Schools are closed all over the nation and some are now saying they will stay closed until the kids and teachers are all vaccinated.

Those stories are all over the news and they are true. Of course this all led by the teacher's unions that enjoy their power.

If schools want to have common sense precautions that make people feel safe and they think will protect children I have no problems with that. Not sure it is based on any science but there are enough people that have been bombarded with misinformation maybe it will help them realize kids need to be in school.

Nothing positive has come from the unnecessary closing of schools for the kids or the parents.
My son and daughter have been in person all years. Zero cases at my daughters school. Three at my sons. No additional spread at my sons. I’m hopeful schools open sooner than later

Chef Mickey

For kids? Honestly, how do you know that? Literally almost no kid under 12 has died from Covid. That's a fact, so a Covid infection is certainly on the spectrum of LOW risk, particularly for kids.

Given that we don't know long term impacts of a vaccine that was literally brought to market in record time, I think the argument to wait on kids can be made very easily. Your point about Chicken Pox isn't ridiculous, but we know a lot more about that particular vaccine and it wasn't brought to market in less than a year.

There are studies on both sides, but kids seem to not be the major spreaders either.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster

Interesting. I haven’t seen it said anywhere that schools wouldn’t open until kids get vaccinated. That makes no sense. The conservative estimate is it may not be until late 2021 for younger kids to be approved. Around me there were some districts where the unions tried to delay physical school opening until teachers were vaccinated, but that was more of using leverage to get the teachers they represent priority for vaccinations. The CDC said that teachers don’t need to be vaccinated to open schools safely and even reduced the distancing requirement if masks were in place. There’s no reason schools can’t be open as long as the safety protocols are in place.

Shouldigo12

For kids? Honestly, how do you know that? Literally almost no kid under 12 has died from Covid. That's a fact, so a Covid infection is certainly on the spectrum of LOW risk, particularly for kids.

Given that we don't know long term impacts of a vaccine that was literally brought to market in record time, I think the argument to wait on kids can be made very easily. Your point about Chicken Pox isn't ridiculous, but we know a lot more about that particular vaccine and it wasn't brought to market in less than a year.

There are studies on both sides, but kids seem to not be the major spreaders either.
That's a fact, huh?

Chef Mickey

Yes. I don't read the Washington Post, but the CDC has reported 238 TOTAL deaths in the US of anyone 0-17, which doesn't even pull out people with underlying conditions. If we use the 6% of no underlying conditions (only Covid on death cert), it's 14 people under 17 yrs old.

I also said under 12, which means the number is even lower than 238. So yeah, kids are virtually at no risk for dying of Covid-19. And don't try to get technical. I never said NO ONE has died from it but it's obvious there is virtually no risk for kids. It doesn't mean it CAN'T happen, but we are obviously going to play odds, right? Kids die of the flu, strep throat, chicken pox, and other things in similar small numbers. Get a grip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom