Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

CatesMom

2 things. 1) we aren’t eliminating Covid so we have to learn to live with it. 2)Fear of Covid is a real thing. It has made people act irrationally. I’m not saying that Covid doesn’t have danger to some. But to most it’s harmless and we cannot shut down life forever. That’s all I’m saying.
We are learning to live with it, by getting the vast majority of people vaccinated so that the virus lacks hosts and circulation slows. While it may not be eliminating Covid, it's the best management plan available, and should permit a return to more "pre-virus" circumstances. That said, it's overly dramatic to argue that the only alternative is to "shut down life forever." Wearing masks and social distancing are easy ways to adapt and still move forward.

bdearl41

We are learning to live with it, by getting the vast majority of people vaccinated so that the virus lacks hosts and circulation slows. While it may not be eliminating Covid, it's the best management plan available, and should permit a return to more "pre-virus" circumstances. That said, it's overly dramatic to argue that the only alternative is to "shut down life forever." Wearing masks and social distancing are easy ways to adapt and still move forward.
Oh I agree. And I’m fully vaccinated. What I’m pointing out is this thought process that we should do everything possible and not live life until their is zero Covid is just as irresponsible as walking into the store without a mask...while unvaccinated. In the next few months. The social distancing and masking will go away. I mean it has already in a lot of places, and those places aren’t the places with the upticks in cases either.

correcaminos

Oh I agree. And I’m fully vaccinated. What I’m pointing out is this thought process that we should do everything possible and not live life until their is zero Covid is just as irresponsible as walking into the store without a mask...while unvaccinated. In the next few months. The social distancing and masking will go away. I mean it has already in a lot of places, and those places aren’t the places with the upticks in cases either.
Michigan *cough cough*

My hope it covid will be as non of an issue as other coronaviruses at worst. At best I hope it fizzles to really nothing. Not saying to be fearful, but we cannot stop short either.

I really want the outdoor masks to end tbh. But I don't want to drop all yet either.

bdearl41

Michigan *cough cough*

My hope it covid will be as non of an issue as other coronaviruses at worst. At best I hope it fizzles to really nothing. Not saying to be fearful, but we cannot stop short either.

I really want the outdoor masks to end tbh. But I don't want to drop all yet either.
My point exactly. Why didn’t this happen in 20 other states where schools have been open year round or for months. In my state we saw no increase when schools were open. In fact a decrease. In fact their has been higher correlary relationships to highly shutdown states and increased cases than those open. Remember when the country was laughing at Georgia last May? NY, Cali, Michigan, Illinois and Mass didn’t do a whole lot better. The point is their is absolutely zero statistical evidence pointing to the closure of schools reducing spread. Only conjecture.

Rumrunner

Science has clearly shown that kids are at low risk for this covid virus and are proven to not be significant spreaders to adults.
In fact school environment has proven to be one of the lowest risk environments.

You are correct kids have died form the covid but the science works big time in their favor. Most of us accept that life has risk for adults and kids covid or no covid.

Rumrunner

The callousness of some of the people on this site is disturbing. I never would have thought people on here would approach the preventable deaths of children so casually.
Lets discuss callousness if you wish. Death of children is not something anyone on this site has taken lightly as far as I can tell.
However, ignoring the consequences of the heavy hand and the edicts of the govt and their adverse effects on our children seems to be unimportant to some. Could that be classified as callous.

The closing of schools which was and is not based on science has led to teenagers having more suicidal thoughts, more attempted suicides, increase use of drugs, increase drug overdoses, abused kids went unnoticed because of no school, the decrease in learning, etc. and all of this is more pronounced among kids from poorer families.

bdearl41

Lets discuss callousness if you wish. Death of children is not something anyone on this site has taken lightly as far as I can tell.
However, ignoring the consequences of the heavy hand and the edicts of the govt and their adverse effects on our children seems to be unimportant to some. Could that be classified as callous.

The closing of schools which was and is not based on science has led to teenagers having more suicidal thoughts, more attempted suicides, increase use of drugs, increase drug overdoses, abused kids went unnoticed because of no school, the decrease in learning, etc. and all of this is more pronounced among kids from poorer families.
This is the correct take.

correcaminos

My point exactly. Why didn’t this happen in 20 other states where schools have been open year round or for months. In my state we saw no increase when schools were open. In fact a decrease. In fact their has been higher correlary relationships to highly shutdown states and increased cases than those open. Remember when the country was laughing at Georgia last May? NY, Cali, Michigan, Illinois and Mass didn’t do a whole lot better. The point is their is absolutely zero statistical evidence pointing to the closure of schools reducing spread. Only conjecture.
Did you read the article? It's a mix of things and some not relating to school which is what I was actually commenting on Michigan opening up more and cases rising.

Our school had 100 kids out due to quarantine thanks to track practice. The high school's cases all came from outside of the school building. So when people talk school cases, it's not in school buildings, but related activities. Yet again no one is calling for closure of schools. With that, I'm out on this topic.

I'll be back when this thread takes a turn out of this subject and back to vaccines. There's a political thread as an FYI for those who want to delve into politics and govt more

correcaminos

I get my second dose tonight. I'm a little nervous.
I get being nervous, so when I say don't be, I'm not dismissing fears. While roughly still 15% have more severe side effects, most still don't. Like anecdotally out of my more immediate family (my dad, my siblings, their spouses and their parents) we're at the 10-15% range for someone having more than a sore arm. Even then the fever sported was not awful. You hear bad news more than good. Try to go in thinking you'll be one of the 85-90% that will be pretty good! I've said so many times for me (and extremely true of my spouse too) both shots were the same with just sore arm for us. Good luck!

Shouldigo12

This article mostly talked about Ohio, but I think it gives a good rundown on how likely a fourth wave is (pretty likely, unfortunately), why cases have stalled, and how the vaccine has affected who's getting the virus and how many are getting severe cases. For anyone who likes a lot of statistics this might be a nice read.

correcaminos

This article mostly talked about Ohio, but I think it gives a good rundown on how likely a fourth wave is (pretty likely, unfortunately), why cases have stalled, and how the vaccine has affected who's getting the virus and how many are getting severe cases. For anyone who likes a lot of statistics this might be a nice read.
That's my state - and honestly leveling off is good IMO. Israel saw the same thing, in fact they increased steadier than Ohio is. I figure we'll be up and down for a while. But it's not as bad as I thought so far, but we have only been back from break a week. Other cities were off last week and others this week and next for break. To me spring break will be a driving force for a while.

ToTBellHop

The CDC reported today that, in real-world analyses, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 80% effective against all COVID-19 infection (including asymptomatic) after 1 dose and 90% effective after 2. So when we look at effective vaccination, it’s worthwhile to look at the percentage receiving 1 or more doses as well as the percentage completing the regimen—all have great protection. That is currently 28.6% of all Americans and 36.7% of adults. 72.8% of 65+.

At the current pace, that’s 50% of all Americans by 5/9.

bdearl41

The CDC reported today that, in real-world analyses, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 80% effective against all COVID-19 infection (including asymptomatic) after 1 dose and 90% effective after 2. So when we look at effective vaccination, it’s worthwhile to look at the percentage receiving 1 or more doses as well as the percentage completing the regimen—all have great protection. That is currently 28.6% of all Americans and 36.7% of adults. 72.8% of 65+.

At the current pace, that’s 50% of all Americans by 5/9.
On a major analytics firm q1 call they said they expect herd immunity by the end of may. They may be right! I was thinking July but whoo hoo

ToTBellHop

On a major analytics firm q1 call they said they expect herd immunity by the end of may. They may be right! I was thinking July but whoo hoo
The confounder is the variants. Immunization and natural immunity will get us to 70% by Memorial Day. But natural immunity is less protective against variants. Hopefully severity is lower on reinfection.

MaryJaneP

Ask Manaus Brazil how herd immunity worked out for them. And their "herd immunity" was last Fall. It would seem that anyone predicting herd immunity anywhere in this world by the end of May is really taking a wild stab in the dark. YMMV

correcaminos

Ask Manaus Brazil how herd immunity worked out for them. And their "herd immunity" was last Fall. It would seem that anyone predicting herd immunity anywhere in this world by the end of May is really taking a wild stab in the dark. YMMV
Their numbers were guesstimated and not including vaccines last year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom