Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

ToTBellHop

IHME claims slightly over 50% of Americans would be willing to get a vaccine. That’s not enough for herd immunity and we’d have a third wave next fall.

Let’s hope people change their minds. About a quarter are “not sure” and would be the best candidates.

Lilofan

IHME claims slightly over 50% of Americans would be willing to get a vaccine. That’s not enough for herd immunity and we’d have a third wave next fall.

Let’s hope people change their minds. About a quarter are “not sure” and would be the best candidates.
Building trust in the vaccine is important. Slightly over 50% willing to get the vaccine is very sad. I just got the first shot, and looking forward to the second one. With that I'm still going to mask up after the second shot not letting my guard down.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster

According to this poll conducted Jan 11 - 15 the number of people who say they will never get the vaccine edged down from 20% in December to 18% so 82% are now saying they will get the vaccine. The 82% includes people who say they will wait until more people get the vaccine first, but that number is also down to 22% from a high of 47% back in October. We still have some work to do getting those 22% off the fence and into the vaccine line and maybe even getting some of the 18% who say they will never get it to rethink their stance. I don’t think we need 100% or even 90% but with kids excluded already if we got to 90% of adults that would cover over 2/3 of the population anyway without doing any kids under 16.

Lilofan

According to this poll conducted Jan 11 - 15 the number of people who say they will never get the vaccine edged down from 20% in December to 18% so 82% are now saying they will get the vaccine. The 82% includes people who say they will wait until more people get the vaccine first, but that number is also down to 22% from a high of 47% back in October. We still have some work to do getting those 22% off the fence and into the vaccine line and maybe even getting some of the 18% who say they will never get it to rethink their stance. I don’t think we need 100% or even 90% but with kids excluded already if we got to 90% of adults that would cover over 2/3 of the population anyway without doing any kids under 16.

Some have asked me how did my first Moderna shot go. I advised friends and family I'm glad I didn't have any planned activities for two days after the vaccine shot. I experienced the typical symptoms that I was warned about.

Animaniac93-98

Hey if they don't want to, I'll come down and get it. ;)

ToTBellHop

By the way, I broke it down further.

We are averaging about 1.1 million first doses and 200k second doses (keeping in mind that’s because we were only vaccinating 200k/day in December).

States mention they have the capacity to vaccinate more if they have the doses. The pharmaceuticals expressed no concern over providing the 2nd doses.

Thus, with no real increase, we can expect 2.2 million vaccines per day by late February. It is certainly not unreasonable to claim that any adult who wants vaccine will be able to do so this summer. Who knows about kids? Because of how the JnJ vaccine works, it is probably better for kids than those over 50 anyway, who are more likely to have adenovirus antibodies that could limit that vaccine’s efficacy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
By the way, I broke it down further.

We are averaging about 1.1 million first doses and 200k second doses (keeping in mind that’s because we were only vaccinating 200k/day in December).

States mention they have the capacity to vaccinate more if they have the doses. The pharmaceuticals expressed no concern over providing the 2nd doses.

Thus, with no real increase, we can expect 2.2 million vaccines per day by late February.
That’s without JnJ which could push us to 3M+ potentially.

correcaminos

Building trust in the vaccine is important. Slightly over 50% willing to get the vaccine is very sad. I just got the first shot, and looking forward to the second one. With thaz I'm still going to mask up after the second shot not letting my guard down.
It is very important and why I am so transparent about my time in the trial so far. Fortunately as time has gobe on that 50% has grown. Not sure why IMHE has their numbers so low. I just found out last week for certain my status. I do all she shopping and pick ups now is all. We cannot unmask, orders or not, until numbers drop.

Hope your 2nd Moderna shot goes well. A couple friends actually had less pain and such from their 2nd Moderna shot than the first. Fingers crossed. Mine was Pfizer but both were similar for me. I was at the mercy of the trial for dates to book and was scheduled to work the next day for my second. Fortunately no issues outside of arm pain. In my case moving the arm more didn't help but it was livable even lifting some heavy binders.

ToTBellHop

It is very important and why I am so transparent about my time in the trial so far. Fortunately as time has gobe on that 50% has grown. Not sure why IMHE has their numbers so low. I just found out last week for certain my status. I do all she shopping and pick ups now is all. We cannot unmask, orders or not, until numbers drop.

Hope your 2nd Moderna shot goes well. A couple friends actually had less pain and such from their 2nd Moderna shot than the first. Fingers crossed. Mine was Pfizer but both were similar for me. I was at the mercy of the trial for dates to book and was scheduled to work the next day for my second. Fortunately no issues outside of arm pain. In my case moving the arm more didn't help but it was livable even lifting some heavy binders.
They claim 50% say “jab me now”, 25% say “I don’t know; I’ll think about it”, and 25% say “never! Microchips! My body! My decision! Why bother if I have to wear a mask?!”

They typically lump the first two categories together assuming those folks will eventually get shots, just like they’ve had other shots. But, how soon? When will kids have the option? Will parents vaccinate kids once the risk of killing Grandma and Grandpa are gone? We’ve been telling parents (truthfully) that there is a low risk of severe illness in kids (though long term impacts are unknown). It will be a tremendous challenge to thread the marketing needle here, but I presume Departments of Public Health are trying to figure out the best foot forward. It seems the current phase is “hit people over the head with radio ads and billboards about the vaccine, even though most can’t sign up yet, just so they start getting comfortable with the idea of getting a shot.”

I do think, eventually, a carrot will be necessary if they truly want herd immunity. Easier travel is an obvious choice, and perhaps, one day, no mask? Private companies have a big part to play here, with cruise lines and TicketMaster seemingly on board with making vaccines compulsory. Soon, anti-vaxxers will have a serious decision to make.

For perspective on supply, as it is, we have 200 million doses guaranteed by 3/31. We’ve received 41 million. So another 159 million arrive by 3/31, even without JnJ. Supply will increase next month.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
They claim 50% say “jab me now”, 25% say “I don’t know; I’ll think about it”, and 25% say “never! Microchips! My body! My decision! Why bother if I have to wear a mask?!”

They typically lump the first two categories together assuming those folks will eventually get shots, just like they’ve had other shots. But, how soon? When will kids have the option? Will parents vaccinate kids once the risk of killing Grandma and Grandpa are gone? We’ve been telling parents (truthfully) that there is a low risk of severe illness in kids (though long term impacts are unknown). It will be a tremendous challenge to thread the marketing needle here, but I presume Departments of Public Health are trying to figure out the best foot forward. It seems the current phase is “hit people over the head with radio ads and billboards about the vaccine, even though most can’t sign up yet, just so they start getting comfortable with the idea of getting a shot.”

I do think, eventually, a carrot will be necessary if they truly want herd immunity. Easier travel is an obvious choice, and perhaps, one day, no mask? Private companies have a big part to play here, with cruise lines and TicketMaster seemingly on board with making vaccines compulsory. Soon, anti-vaxxers will have a serious decision to make.

For perspective on supply, as it is, we have 200 million doses guaranteed by 3/31. We’ve received 41 million. So another 159 million arrive by 3/31, even without JnJ. Supply will increase next month.
I was trying to figure out where their 50% number came from. That makes more sense. I wouldn’t use 50% as most of the people waiting will eventually get it...unless a problem erupts.

I can’t speak for others but I will 100% get my kids vaccinated. I get them a flu shot every year and flu isn‘t likely to kill Grandma and Grandpa or my kids. Why would anyone want to risk their kids having any of the potential long term impacts especially since we don’t actually know what they all are? Seems like a no brainer to me. We may need an education campaign showing some of the kids who were severely impacted. While rare, much, much more common than adverse reactions to all vaccinations out there combined.

correcaminos

That's still a bit lower than other ones I've seen is all. I know polls are polls which could account for it. Like you I do kinda lump the first two together. In my case I've been scheduling shots for family so they have little say. Kidding (sorta)

I am unsure of how much carrot dangling we'll need but I've been helping loved ones get signed up for the shot and more right now want it than it's available. We'll watch and see though. As time goes on I do think peer pressure of sorts will set in. More of the fighters will have no excuse not to do it really.

I will say the moment 12+ are allowed, mine is getting it. They know it too. Mama didn't do the trial for you to say no to it :p

Lilofan

That's still a bit lower than other ones I've seen is all. I know polls are polls which could account for it. Like you I do kinda lump the first two together. In my case I've been scheduling shots for family so they have little say. Kidding (sorta)

I am unsure of how much carrot dangling we'll need but I've been helping loved ones get signed up for the shot and more right now want it than it's available. We'll watch and see though. As time goes on I do think peer pressure of sorts will set in. More of the fighters will have no excuse not to do it really.

I will say the moment 12+ are allowed, mine is getting it. They know it too. Mama didn't do the trial for you to say no to it :p
I've read somewhere that private employers legally in the future can require employees to get the covid vaccine. That would be a game changer for ones who are against this /risk being terminated from the company or candidates not hired.

ToTBellHop

I’ve been very clear with my kids, too. There will be toys as a bribe.

And wine for the wife and I after. Flu shots last fall were an awful experience. But they got the damn shots!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I agree on lumping them. I don’t necessarily put a ton of stock in the polls as an exact number but the trend is good to watch. Before the election when we had no vaccines approved and a ton of political uncertainty the number of people in the ”I will never get the vaccine“ bucket was in the 20-30% range. That number in more recent polls was as low as 18%. It really hasn’t moved a whole lot leading me to conclude that most of those people dug in as a firm “no“ are not likely to change. Maybe pickup a few percent as best case. The bucket that changed a lot is the people on the fence. Back in October that was the largest group and close to or over 50% of the people depending on the poll. Once the political dust settled on the election and the vaccines were approved with 95% efficacy that number has come down and continues to drop. The key for herd immunity is to get the rest of those people off of the fence and into the vaccine line. So far so good on that front and the best way to convince a lot of those people is to just show them the millions of people vaccinated with no issues before they go.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
I've read somewhere that private employers legally in the future can require employees to get the covid vaccine. That would be a game changer for ones who are against this /risk being terminated from the company or not hired.
It’s possible once the vaccines get full approval. They can’t require it under EUA since it’s still considered legally “experimental”. In most cases the employer offers an alternative to getting the vaccine for people who medically cannot get it and/or are morally opposed to it. In some hospitals they mandate flu shots for employees with direct patient contact but might offer an alternative of wearing more PPE whenever around patients. So something like that for Covid could mean you would need to wear a mask without getting the vaccine. They could also offer a role that doesn‘t face the public. Schools have traditionally always required some vaccines. That could become standard for Covid, especially at the high school and college levels.

correcaminos

I agree on lumping them. I don’t necessarily put a ton of stock in the polls as an exact number but the trend is good to watch. Before the election when we had no vaccines approved and a ton of political uncertainty the number of people in the ”I will never get the vaccine“ bucket was in the 20-30% range. That number in more recent polls was as low as 18%. It really hasn’t moved a whole lot leading me to conclude that most of those people dug in as a firm “no“ are not likely to change. Maybe pickup a few percent as best case. The bucket that changed a lot is the people on the fence. Back in October that was the largest group and close to or over 50% of the people depending on the poll. Once the political dust settled on the election and the vaccines were approved with 95% efficacy that number has come down and continues to drop. The key for herd immunity is to get the rest of those people off of the fence and into the vaccine line. So far so good on that front and the best way to convince a lot of those people is to just show them the millions of people vaccinated with no issues before they go.
I think that is a good way. The more who get jabbed the better. Some will always hold out

I've read somewhere that private employers legally in the future can require employees to get the covid vaccine. That would be a game changer for ones who are against this /risk being terminated from the company or candidates not hired.
I've read that too! Right now I don't think they can under emergency authorization but later on it could be possible.
I’ve been very clear with my kids, too. There will be toys as a bribe.

And wine for the wife and I after. Flu shots last fall were an awful experience. But they got the damn shots!
My kid is really ready to go. I received notification from the trial saying to pass on for 12+ and needing subjects. I brought it up to my then 12yo. It was a serious talk for a few days before declining. To be fair it is time consuming and with school ever changing, it would have been doubly hard to do. I was proud it was a serious thought but with all the nose swabs, jabs, and blood draws it's a lot for a 12/13yo to take in even with money offered. I kind of hope they do legs to see if possible because that's our limb of choice for everything now. Flu shot, HPV, dtap boosters etc. Jab and be done.

But boy was that flu shot so hard to deal with for a while. Even the HPV scared a bit this time.

I was chatting with friends over Skype about what will it take to get all to do it. Some bribed, some reasoned, some just won't no matter what. Just like masks some will be stubborn.

MaryJaneP

Could they apply a tax disincentive, like they do for those who do not buy healthcare, to those who choose not to be vaccinated? Would an incentive to those who are vaccinated work? Is this an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is? Moral objectors and anti-vaxxers could potentially keep their opinions, couldn't they?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Could they apply a tax disincentive, like they do for those who do not buy healthcare, to those who choose not to be vaccinated? Would an incentive to those who are vaccinated work? Is this an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is? Moral objectors and anti-vaxxers could potentially keep their opinions, couldn't they?
That could happen by next fall. Most group medical insurance plans have their open enrollment in Oct/Nov and that’s when they would set something like that. Assuming the vaccine is readily available it’s absolutely an option.

ToTBellHop

Moderna reported its vaccine saw no significant decrease in the impact of neutralizing antibodies against the strain first discovered in the UK but saw a 6-fold decrease in neutralizing titers against the strain first discovered in S. Africa. With that said, these vaccines are so effective that even that reduction will still leave the vaccine effective against that strain.

This does highlight the need to enhance social distancing and limit international travel until more are vaccinated.

Got an appointment for my wife and my father-in-law for the Fauci-Ouchie in February along with me. Hoping to schedule mother-in-law today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom