Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

rangerbob

I saw it come across my phone earlier. The AP now has an article out as of 1018 asking states to speed vaccine and not hold back second dose. Looks like the Trump admin has sent this out. As said above they also say all 65+ can get their shots too and those 65 and under with underlying health conditions.

ToTBellHop

I saw it come across my phone earlier. The AP now has an article out as of 1018 asking states to speed vaccine and not hold back second dose. Looks like the Trump admin has sent this out. As said above they also say all 65+ can get their shots too and those 65 and under with underlying health conditions.
Alex Azar suggested the case is moreso that they are “asking the states” to do so. As I had suggested, the federal government only has the power to release doses to states.

Immediately releasing to everyone over 65 and everyone with comorbidities from 16 to 64 and essential workers would be very foolish. That is over half of the country.

65+ and essential workers 1b
16-64 comorbidities and other essential workers 1c would make more sense.

Shouldigo12

Alex Azar suggested the case is moreso that they are “asking the states” to do so. As I had suggested, the federal government only has the power to release doses to states.

Immediately releasing to everyone over 65 and everyone with comorbidities from 16 to 64 and essential workers would be very foolish. That is over half of the country.

I don't know, I think it some places opening it up to more people makes sense. I've heard that one possible reason the rollout is so slow is that too many people in the first group are turning down the vaccine. In places with a high refusal rate, it would be a good idea to skip ahead to the next group.

ToTBellHop

I don't know, I think it some places opening it up to more people makes sense. I've heard that one possible reason the rollout is so slow is that too many people in the first group are turning down the vaccine. In places with a high refusal rate, it would be a good idea to skip ahead to the next group.
Sure—if you phase it in. You can’t open it up to half of America at once. The internet systems will fail. The DVC website can’t handle more than one booking worldwide at a time and government is 5% less functional than Disney.

Open it up to another 10% of the nation immediately for two weeks. If booking is sluggish, open it further.

Animal_Kingdom_09

I don't know, there are 65,000 over 65 on the waiting list in Manatee county and there is no vaccine to give them. I don't think demand is the bottleneck here on the west coast of Florida, four counties around are the same.

Small world. Manatee county happens to be my home. It will be interesting to see if the waiting list works. It looks like the county plans to have a 311 operator do the callbacks to make the appointments. I figure that one person can set up 6 appointments per hour or about 50 per day. That will be a logistical bottleneck, although I suppose as long as you can keep up with the throughput of the nurses doing the jabs it should work. It is going to be a mess until demand eases up.

Animal_Kingdom_09

I think it will work better if they forget the 1c and comorbidities (which would require some proof) and just stick to age brackets. When demand for the 65+ starts to taper, open it up to 55+, and keep going down in 10 year increments manage the demand. Age only needs a driver's license to prove as opposed to medical records.

Heppenheimer

I think it will work better if they forget the 1c and comorbidities (which would require some proof) and just stick to age brackets. When demand for the 65+ starts to taper, open it up to 55+, and keep going down in 10 year increments manage the demand. Age only needs a driver's license to prove as opposed to medical records.
My hospital has decided to go strictly by age categories, simply because figuring out what is and isn't high risk (or high vs higher risk) is too subjective to decide someone's place in line.

ToTBellHop

When they talk about sending out vaccines equitably, they need to take into account comorbidities. Certain groups of people are more likely to have one or more comorbidity at a younger age than others. This is why it’s taken into account.

Here’s an example that shouldn’t offend anyone: a 16-year old with Down Syndrome should be vaccinated before a 45-year old with no comorbidities who isn’t an essential worker.

ToTBellHop

My hospital has decided to go strictly by age categories, simply because figuring out what is and isn't high risk (or high vs higher risk) is too subjective to decide someone's place in line.
The CDC has a list of pathologies that should be included. It’s straightforward but the categories are broad.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
Unfortunately it looks like the JnJ vaccine has some manufacturing delays so even if approved for EUA in Feb they won’t have doses ready until late April now. It’s too bad as that would have greatly helped speed up the vaccinations. April is still better than nothing, but disappointing. :(

Edit: it looks like the company is pushing back on the NYT report from above. They are saying doses would still be ready to go out if approved, but may not meet full targets. Much more positive spin. :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom