Covid Vaccine Updates and General Discussion About Vaccines

Will you take a Covid vaccine once one is approved and deemed safe and effective by the FDA?

• Yes, stick me please

• No, I will wait

• No, I will never take one

Results are only viewable after voting.

correcaminos

Really good news. We can add about 30M additional people to the vaccine pool once fully approved. I know there are anti-vaxx slanted people deeply opposed to kids getting the vaccine but my 14 year old will be getting his shot as soon as they authorize and I can find him an appointment. I assume in states where it’s open to the general public they will be eligible as soon as approved and a little later in other states. 12-17 will still need to get Pfizer only but that shouldn’t be an issue now that supply is ramped up.
I know some parents are waiting for kids. I sure will not be. Our media really did some damage by not playing up how safe they are. I'm ready to go whenever we can though. Was even trying to get a My Chart account for my kid but failed.

And I bet all 100 feel just fine
Nope
However, at least eight people with breakthrough cases have been hospitalized. The Washington State Department of Health is also investigating two potential breakthrough cases where the individuals died. Both patients were over 80 years old and suffered from underlying health issues.

Not saying to worry as 80+ can be cause for natural causes. Like my friend who died earlier this month had been covid+ but asymptomatic. Her blood cancer killed her for sure. Things happen and people will die. Some will also be hospitalized but if they had many other issues the reason for hospitalization can vary and not concern. Or even be one in a million so to speak. Still likely outcomes of vaccinated are so much better.

bdearl41

Not all, but most...

"However, at least eight people with breakthrough cases have been hospitalized. The Washington State Department of Health is also investigating two potential breakthrough cases where the individuals died. Both patients were over 80 years old and suffered from underlying health issues
Sorry about your friend with blood cancer. Terrible disease.

bdearl41

100 of the 102 are fine...not the 2 that died :(. 8 of the 102 needed to be hospitalized and 2 died. The deaths were both in patients over 80 with underlying health conditions.
So maybe it wasn’t the Covid that caused it. Not trying to be callous but the vaccinations protect against death from Covid specific

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Original Poster
So maybe it wasn’t the Covid that caused it. Not trying to be callous but the vaccinations protect against death from Covid specific
Even if it was from Covid directly, I posted this in the other thread:

On the death front, putting aside the age and health of the 2 people who died that is 2 out of 1.2M vaccinated. If we could have somehow magically vaccinated all 331M Americans by Feb 1 that is roughly 275X the vaccinations so keeping the deaths at the same rate that’s the national equivalent of 550 deaths since Feb 1. Back in the real world 103,438 Americans have died since February 1 from Covid. 99.5% efficacy equivalent vs death.

The vaccines are extremely highly effective vs death and serious illness. The number may not be zero, but it’s really, really good still.

Shouldigo12

I know some parents are waiting for kids. I sure will not be. Our media really did some damage by not playing up how safe they are. I'm ready to go whenever we can though. Was even trying to get a My Chart account for my kid but failed.

Nope
However, at least eight people with breakthrough cases have been hospitalized. The Washington State Department of Health is also investigating two potential breakthrough cases where the individuals died. Both patients were over 80 years old and suffered from underlying health issues.

Not saying to worry as 80+ can be cause for natural causes. Like my friend who died earlier this month had been covid+ but asymptomatic. Her blood cancer killed her for sure. Things happen and people will die. Some will also be hospitalized but if they had many other issues the reason for hospitalization can vary and not concern. Or even be one in a million so to speak. Still likely outcomes of vaccinated are so much better.
I'm sorry for your loss.

correcaminos

I'm sorry for your loss.
Thank you. My friend will be missed - she was a part of my extended non‐blood family, but she had been suffering a lot this past year (not related to covid). We fortunately are able to celebrate her life. So many of us are getting vaccinated so seeing each other for services is possible at least.

Animal_Kingdom_09

Perhaps they should implement a policy right now of no entry except for those who have already had Covid with symptoms - not just a positive PCR test but no actual symptoms. Then everyone allowed into the parks could skip the mask. After all, it is all of you who have not had the disease that are the problem. </sarcasm>

I am one of those people who currently has no plans to get a vaccine. It is simple, really - there is absolutely no benefit for me if I take a vaccine. I am already as immune as I am going to get and no vaccine is going to improve that. It is the same reason that I never got a chickenpox vaccine since I had the disease as a child. However, I would be subject to any potential side effects. The benefit to risk ratio does not work.

I am hardly a "self entitled anti-vaxxer". I have had every vaccine recommended for a person my age, including smallpox (which ages me a little bit). My most recent vaccine was Shingrix, which seems to have similar side effects to the trial vaccine that @helenabear had. But in the case of Shingrix, the benefit - reduced risk of shingles - far outweighs the risk of adverse reactions to the vaccine.

I even wear a mask everywhere it is asked of me, even though I am not a risk to transmit or catch COVID-19 unless it mutates. Fortunately, I cater to those who have not had the disease even though there is nothing in it for me, other than I do not want anyone to suffer if they can avoid it. COVID-19 is its own particular kind of nasty. I personally thought that the flu I had years ago was more severe (it put me in the hospital where Covid did not) but the coronavirus lasted much longer. I was sick for 2 1/2 weeks, but had chest tightness that lasted for almost 5 months afterward. During that 2 week period, I went through two rounds of steroids, two bottles of cough syrup to be able to sleep at night, and spent a week using a nebulizer to fight off breathing difficulties.

Based on prior pandemics, I doubt that proof of vaccination will be required except for schools. Even that won't occur until the vaccines are past the emergency use authorization stage, which won't happen until full trials are competed, which will take years.

So, I dug up this post from November. I never did catch COVID a second time, but I also never thought that the immunity would go away.

We decided to get vaccinated, and our first doses of Moderna were this week. If nothing else, we will have the vaccination in case it is required for travel.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Received my second dose of Moderna this morning.
I got it in the opposite arm as the first one.
I am having SEVERE upper arm pain.
I mean it feels like I fell down and tore something when I have to move the upper part of my arm.
If I can keep my upper arm tucked tight to my body and only use my lower arm making me look like Rex from Toy Story its not as bad.
My neck and jaw on that side are stiff as well. Not painful but stiff.

ToTBellHop

Anyone know how many Americans are under age 12? Trying to find a theoretical maximum immunization this summer. Never mind. Just needed Google lol. About 50 million under 12.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Received my second dose of Moderna this morning.
I got it in the opposite arm as the first one.
I am having SEVERE upper arm pain.
I mean it feels like I fell down and tore something when I have to move the upper part of my arm.
If I can keep my upper arm tucked tight to my body and only use my lower arm making me look like Rex from Toy Story its not as bad.
My neck and jaw on that side are stiff as well. Not painful but stiff.
My jabber for my second shot said that if there's pain in the muscle to apply heat.

SyracuseDisneyFan

Last night, I had a headache (I don't know if I was having a delayed reaction to the vaccine. It could've been the sinus pain and pressure I experience a lot). I took 1 Advil and 1 Tylenol before I went to bed. My arm's sore a little and I have some bruising in the area of the injection.

Lilofan

Last night, I had a headache (I don't know if I was having a delayed reaction to the vaccine. It could've been the sinus pain and pressure I experience a lot). I took 1 Advil and 1 Tylenol before I went to bed. My arm's sore a little and I have some bruising in the area of the injection.
You fared well compared to me and others I know. Good to have gotten both shots!

The Mom

Premium Member

Nope

Just as my BIL died a few weeks after being vaccinated - but he died of cancer. The vaccination was just to make sure he didn't die fighting the ravages of both diseases.

The Mom

Premium Member
Thank you. My friend will be missed - she was a part of my extended non‐blood family, but she had been suffering a lot this past year (not related to covid). We fortunately are able to celebrate her life. So many of us are getting vaccinated so seeing each other for services is possible at least.
I was going to like this, but there is nothing to like about a friend dying. But I agree with the whole fortunate to be able to attend a memorial service. My BIL was diagnosed around New Year's, and there was just no way to see him safely before he passed. By the time we were vaccinated in late January/early Feb he was too ill for visitors, and we would have been more intrusion than help. He died St Patrick's Day.

But all of his sibs and in-laws have been vaccinated, so most of us feel safe enough to travel to attend his memorial service later this month.

ToTBellHop

Pfizer vaccine still extremely effective 6 months after dose 2, including protection against the UK and S. African variants. 91% against any infection, 100% against severe (including hospitalization and death). I thought the FDA wanted 6 months of data before full-approval. Could that come soon to quiet the idiots of Facebook going on about how it is “untested and not even FDA-approved!!11”?

Dose 120,000,000 shipped yesterday.

And the widely-reported error in MD costing “up to” 15 million JnJ doses won’t impact near-term shipments but will have a long-term impact (likely to be pretty negligible for us since it is anticipated we will reach our peak vaccination rate in the next 6 weeks before supply exceeds demand.

ToTBellHop

Pfizer vaccine still extremely effective 6 months after dose 2, including protection against the UK and S. African variants. 91% against any infection, 100% against severe (including hospitalization and death). I thought the FDA wanted 6 months of data before full-approval. Could that come soon to quiet the idiots of Facebook going on about how it is “untested and not even FDA-approved!!11”?

Dose 120,000,000 shipped yesterday.

And the widely-reported error in MD costing “up to” 15 million JnJ doses won’t impact near-term shipments but will have a long-term impact (likely to be pretty negligible for us since it is anticipated we will reach our peak vaccination rate in the next 6 weeks before supply exceeds demand.
And as I ask the question, it is answered. Pfizer will be applying for full FDA approval based upon these data. This will lend support to vaccine mandates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom