News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

The Chatbox Ghost

Wait I’m curious, with the costume change and name stuff, they didn’t update Romeo’s walk around character, is he retired now that the new show is open?
I would imagine, unless they did redo him and Shaker and they're waiting until the premiere? I hope they come back, or at the very least, they make new costumes for Henry and either Teddi or Trixie, just so there's enough variety with the walkarounds
I hope they at least sell the plushie that’s featured in the act.
Big Al merch is 100% guaranteed

Sneakman

I would imagine, unless they did redo him and Shaker and they're waiting until the premiere? I hope they come back, or at the very least, they make new costumes for Henry and either Teddi or Trixie, just so there's enough variety with the walkarounds

Big Al merch is 100% guaranteed
I wish they sold “blood on the saddle” shirts while it was in the show.

lazyboy97o

Well, I had to go to church and hadn't heard the whole thing, but along with the whole "You don't hear country music up north" thing, I just heard something more interesting: they went through the archives and discovered one of the earliest notes for Country Bear dating back to 1968.

It said, "Please find xylophone, snare drum, and bass drum arrangements for the Bear Band show for the songs Heigh Ho and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo". So sounds like they were considering having the bears singing Disney songs at one point even for the original show!
It’s not the first time they’ve found something in the archives that was considered. What they never seem to discuss is the actual context of the idea and, more importantly, why it was not implemented.

Epcot81Fan

Sammy would look weird on top of a cowboy hat, because the gag only worked as a nod to the Raccoon-skinned cap. They should have had a version of Henry with a Top hat as that was the look of an Emcee.

Ironically, they just figured since it is country everyone must wear a cowboy hat whenever possible. That is what is silly on them.

It is a fallacy that he could not have still had the gag designed with the original style hat.
As they said in Spinal Tap, “It’s a fine line between clever and stupid”.

The Chatbox Ghost

One of the D23 showings with the Imgaineers behind the show is up:

They mention that one of the reasons behind using Disney songs was they felt actual country songs wouldn't appeal to everyone like people up north. They also said the reason they picked Kiss The Girl for Romeo was because of his huge lips and a kissing song would be perfect for him.

Just watched this, really nice to hear children laughing and giggling, people cheering and singing along, and better visuals of all the AAs! The talk portion at the beginning was nice too. I still think the "country music isn't popular" excuse is them avoiding saying what we all know the real reason is (the audience even laughed when he said that, because we all know country is still popular), but the rest of the talk was really nice. Loved hearing that the people in charge were megafans who wanted to make sure the show's spirit wasn't lost as much as they could- they even acknowledged that adding Disney music is very controversial and easy to mess up. I still fully believe this turned out the best it could've given the circumstances. Sure, in a perfect world, there would be different songs in place or entirely non-Disney music, but that's not the world we live in so it makes no sense to compare the CBMJ to a fantasy. This is Iger's Disney, and it's a miracle the bears weren't replaced with Disney characters. Plus, with the AAs being modernized, it's easier to replace the shows- they even mentioned the Christmas and Vacation shows, so maybe that's on their mind.

The Chatbox Ghost

Watching videos of the D23 showing more, and Teddi's nails have been painted red. Big Al's fur around his head as been readjusted too looks like.
Looks like Teddi got a little curly bang tuft added to her too. Didn't see any other changes other than that and the one you mentioned (and maybe Shaker's shaking being more pronounced- still wish they adding the Tokyo shaking mechanic to him)- that Big Al change is so much better. Him having longer bangs didn't fit the character.

zipadee999

Looks like Teddi got a little curly bang tuft added to her too. Didn't see any other changes other than that and the one you mentioned (and maybe Shaker's shaking being more pronounced- still wish they adding the Tokyo shaking mechanic to him)- that Big Al change is so much better. Him having longer bangs didn't fit the character.
I thought Shaker did get the shaking mechanic? It looked like he was moving quite a bit when they played the drum noises at the end of his song. I never remember seeing him do that in Orlando, unless it had just been broken for a really really long time in WDW fashion!

As for other changes to the bears, I think Ernest got the biggest glow-up and now looks like the original Marc Davis concept. He also seems to have way more back and forth movement, which I’m not sure whether it was added or restored. The finale Henry is almost entirely different. He was reprogrammed to play a guitar rather than flail his arms like intro Henry, and Sammy has been moved from his head as we’ve all noticed. I wonder if they were able to reprogram his arms to play guitar or if new arms needed to be given to that animatronic?

The Chatbox Ghost

I thought Shaker did get the shaking mechanic? It looked like he was moving quite a bit when they played the drum noises at the end of his song. I never remember seeing him do that in Orlando, unless it had just been broken for a really really long time in WDW fashion!

As for other changes to the bears, I think Ernest got the biggest glow-up and now looks like the original Marc Davis concept. He also seems to have way more back and forth movement, which I’m not sure whether it was added or restored. The finale Henry is almost entirely different. He was reprogrammed to play a guitar rather than flail his arms like intro Henry, and Sammy has been moved from his head as we’ve all noticed. I wonder if they were able to reprogram his arms to play guitar or if new arms needed to be given to that animatronic?
From what I can recall from memory, the DLR and TDL Shakers had their hips separate from the rest of the body so they could really sway wildly.

Video of Tokyo's from 2021:

You can see that Tokyo Shaker's hips really sway compared to Florida's. The only way Florida Shaker can shake is just by making the whole animatronic shake from the base, which is how he does it in CBMJ.

Here's Florida Shaker earlier this year before the refurb:
And Florida Shaker in the new show:

You can see the Florida one still uses the "shake the entire animatronic from the base" animation rather than having the independent hips. I wish they added it but I understand why they didn't (budget).

zipadee999

From what I can recall from memory, the DLR and TDL Shakers had their hips separate from the rest of the body so they could really sway wildly.

Video of Tokyo's from 2021:

You can see that Tokyo Shaker's hips really sway compared to Florida's. The only way Florida Shaker can shake is just by making the whole animatronic shake from the base, which is how he does it in CBMJ.

Here's Florida Shaker earlier this year before the refurb:
And Florida Shaker in the new show:

You can see the Florida one still uses the "shake the entire animatronic from the base" animation rather than having the independent hips. I wish they added it but I understand why they didn't (budget).

Ah ok. It looks like his movements in Florida remain as they were, they were just exaggerated and sped up after the refurb. The Tokyo version has a true hip-sway motion which seems to be separate from the rest of the animatronic like you said. In Florida it just looks like the whole animatronic is on a motion base that they’re jackhammering back and forth

The Chatbox Ghost

Ah ok. It looks like his movements in Florida remain as they were, they were just exaggerated and sped up after the refurb. The Tokyo version has a true hip-sway motion which seems to be separate from the rest of the animatronic like you said. In Florida it just looks like the whole animatronic is on a motion base that they’re jackhammering back and forth
Yeah. I can only imagine how bad that must be for the animatronic, but I suppose if it lasted 50 years with it, then what's another 50 more now that they have entirely new mechanical parts?

If they ever build another CBJ (which I doubt will happen, but people keep saying it could happen at DCA), I hope they make all future Shakers with the Tokyo hips.

Epcot82Guy

I'm interested to see this live. Overall, this looks to be leaning toward a much better use of IP integration. I do think the song choice is the biggest weakness. But that's also probably the easiest thing to change if needed. From first glances, it's far from perfect. But it's much better than I feared it could have been.

I do think a brief "There was bah-luhhh-" (even cut off there) would have gone a long way for the fans.

J.E.Smith

Indeed, while DL and Tokyo Terrence's AAs were made so the hips could shake independent from the rest of the body, when the show first opened in 1971 -71, Terrence would bob around on his tiny, stubby legs, so violently that the curtain behind him shook.. This action was so difficult to program and maintain that for many years the lower half of his body was simply turned off. (Credit Passport to Dreams)

Around 2007 to when the show closed to be shortened in the 2012 refurb, Terrence's whole body shook rapidly during the finale, as seen here:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom