News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

IanDLBZF

Man, I’m jealous of you guys. Disneyland (the park I go to) got rid of Country Bear Jamboree and replace it with the Winnie the Pooh two decades ago. But, I’m happy you guys are getting a new version of Country Bear Musical Jamboree. I hope you guys enjoy it.
And I would not be surprised if Tokyo Disneyland's Country Bear Jamboree got updated too.

PiratesMansion

They are literally about to open a large walk through attraction at Epcot and have spent money in recent years opening up non Genie+ stuff like Awesome Planet and the Canada movie. So I don’t think this is really a correct assessment
And they've also, in fairly recent times, shuttering Impressions de France and replacing it with a sing a long that no one likes except for like two hours a day. Their attractionless-in-a-traditional-sense Play Pavilion (I genuinely wasn't following this, so perhaps there was more to it at some point than I realized) and also-inappropriate-for-Genie Mary Poppins Carousel got cancelled. That walkthrough attraction that's taken an absurd amount of time to construct also wouldn't be getting the hype that it is if there was anything else in the tank after TBA. And it doesn't belong in Epcot, not that I get the sense that many care about such trifling things as theme in a theme park anymore.

They're doing just enough to placate the old guard to try and convince them they care on some level about maintaining Epcot's theme. They do not.
The solution to the problem as you frame it would be to get rid of all line-skipping services or to add CBJ to the attractions that require such services. I'm not convinced that either strategy would do much to raise the show's profile or appeal. To offer the analogy of Voyage of the Little Mermaid again, that had FP+ back in the day, yet it remained unpopular.
That's not what I'm advocating at all. This tiered system is a WDW-specific issue-even DLR doesn't have nearly the same amount of attractions on Genie, so this issue isn't nearly as pronounced over there or elsewhere. I'm advocating for trying to treat them as attractions of value rather than filler. If you took from what I said that what I want is for them to be on Genie, then that seems like pretty solid proof of what I was saying-that WDW specifically has conditioned guests to assume that if it's not on a line skipping service, it's not anything of value (and also, if an attraction is on such a system, it has more value than those that aren't).
For what it's worth, I searched for data on how guests feel about the current show and found the following:

It's concerning to me that another of my favourites, the Enchanted Tiki Room, comes so low in the list.
Coming soon, The Enchanted Maui Room: a musical luau featuring the music from Disney's Moana. And it will slide in easily because people are conditioned to just buy whatever line Disney sells them, or accept whatever scraps they're afforded ("at least they didn't get rid of all of it, and it kinda looks like the old show if I wear earplugs"). The Disney Difference.

Skywise

People have been upset with Pocahontas for decades already. The film was considered a poor choice when it was even announced, as most native americans consider it a white washed fairy tale invented by John Smith to make himself seem even more famous (The "story" wan't added to his memoirs when he came back. It was after she became a celebrity and it was more like "oh yeah, I knew her before she was famous. She loved ME!")
Right. But those stories didn't get that much airplay over the saturation messaging from DisneyCorp at the time about how this was a pro-environmental movie with strong female character lead against oppressive colonizers.

It's so NOT an issue that they expanded "problematic" Pocahontas into Fantasmic last year. So much for Stories Matter

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

And I would not be surprised if Tokyo Disneyland's Country Bear Jamboree got updated too.
Perhaps, but I'm less worried about Tokyo's show at the moment.

One, because they still regularly use-and fill-both theaters. Or at least they did in 2019, when I last went.
Two, because during normal times, they actually run all three shows-so there's less of a sense of staleness that many feel in regards to the WDW version.
Three, because even if this change does happen over there, it's likely a decade or so down the road. It took them a LONG time to get Soarin', an attraction that was evidently VERY popular from minute one. They want to be sure that they'll get a monetary return before they make any effort to change their show.

LittleBuford

If you took from what I said that what I want is for them to be on Genie, then that seems like pretty solid proof of what I was saying-that WDW specifically has conditioned guests to assume that if it's not on a line skipping service, it's not anything of value (and also, if an attraction is on such a system, it has more value than those that aren't).
No, I didn't take you to be saying that, nor does it reflect my perception of what is and isn't of value in the parks (clearly, since I hold CBJ in very high regard). My point was that the problem as you framed it would require Genie+ to be scrapped or for CBJ to be added to the Genie+ lineup in order to level the playing field.

I'm advocating for trying to treat them as attractions of value rather than filler.
OK, but the question of how they should do this remains unanswered.

Skywise

Heaven forbid, Disney music at Disney World. I wouldn't expect to hear that. Hmm...
Because it shows a lack of creativity in the parks - which is all too prevalent these days. They're recycling product back into themselves. Why not modern country songs? Why not go back through the folklore of the era that the original songs came from and unearth some REAL CULTURAL HISTORY that hasn't been heard in ages back to the modern era.
No no - "hear the country bears sing 'Let it Go' in only the way they can!"

All this does is further homogenize DisneyCorpProduct(tm) and is cheap on the pocketbook!
which is entirely appropriate and a smart business decision.
It it was truly problematic then the entire show needs to go ala Splash Mountain and Zip a Dee Doo Dah because, by modern day ethics, continuing the show perpetuates the evil.

Brer Oswald

The show is very much stuck in the 70s. At least Tiki Room for example they've updated over the years with new effects and animatronics.

Surprised people are upset over this. The country bears should sing country music which has changed a lot over the last 50 years.

Considering this was at one point going to be replaced by a Toy Story show this seems like a great outcome.
Modern Country music sucks. That’s why tons of people say it’s their least favourite genre.

DisneyFanatic12

And that's just a sad statement of DisneyCorp mentality.
I love the Country Bears, but they had a show that’s decently expensive to run maintenance wise, and requires labor. To justify the expense, you need enough of a crowd going to the show. However, the shows oftentimes ran with 10-20 guests in them. That can’t really justify the price, and the cost-benefits of retheming it to actually become a 50% full show (dwindling to 10-20% after opening likely) was too great.

MerlinTheGoat

While I don’t really listen or pay attention to him… this does seem to be an accurate take.

I don't think we needed any more evidence that there are clowns making these decisions. This should never have been a decision to begin with, leaving the thing alone was the sane thing to do.

Modern Country music sucks. That’s why tons of people say it’s their least favourite genre.
I hate all country music, period (unless bluegrass counts as country). And guess what, I somehow STILL like the Country Bear Jamboree and its music. Funny how Disney managed to make an attraction that was so charming that it was able to override my usual hard-locked musical tastes. Helps that it's also appropriate to the location.

brb1006

I never knew they had changed them.
Yeah, The Sun Bonnet Trio used to look like this.
(Tokyo Disneyland)
1682540932111-png.712696

But was changed to this a decade or two ago for WDW.
1682540982965-png.712697

brb1006

I don't think we needed any more evidence that there are clowns making these decisions. This should never have been a decision to begin with, leaving the thing alone was the sane thing to do.

I hate all country music, period (unless bluegrass counts as country). And guess what, I somehow STILL like the Country Bear Jamboree and its music. Funny how Disney managed to make an attraction that was able to override my tastes. Helps that it's also appropriate to the location.
You got a problem with Dolly Parton?

Homemade Imagineering

The clicks and whirrs were always part of the charm for me!
Yep! There isn't any way to truly get rid of them either, the valves and pneumatic systems would have to be changed out for electric actuation, if it even matters to them. I doubt that'd be apart of this refresh anyways, considering such a quick turnaround

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
It was on borrowed time. I accept that. But it's hard to accept it going away. I really enjoyed it so much. Glad the animatronics are staying. But for the love of Pete, STOP REPLACING/CHANGING EXISTING THINGS!

There is a chance I am back in the summer of 2025, and I sincerely hope they haven't touched it by that point. I want to see it one last time.

Skywise

I love the Country Bears, but they had a show that’s decently expensive to run maintenance wise, and requires labor. To justify the expense, you need enough of a crowd going to the show. However, the shows oftentimes ran with 10-20 guests in them. That can’t really justify the price, and the cost-benefits of retheming it to actually become a 50% full show (dwindling to 10-20% after opening likely) was too great.
Didn't seem to be a problem for the last 20 years and you'll find that the same can be said for Carousel of Progress.
Guess they can just have father sing disney songs too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom