News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

LittleBuford

It is nakedly obvious that WDW currently, clearly prioritizes ALL attractions that have FP/Genie/whatever over those that don't, and has for some time. In doing so, they have, intentionally or not, devalued EVERY attraction that doesn't have FP (please forgive me for using FP only from this point onward, it's just faster that way). When so many things have FP and so few don't, the message clearly becomes to the guest that the FP attractions are the ones that 'matter' and the ones that don't have FP are just filler. And there's no way WDW, with its survey wizards, doesn't know that. If it cared, it would have done something more to attract an audience to these shows instead of being like "oh yeah, we also have..." with these attractions as they have over the past decade.

If you want people to value these attractions, you don't so transparently treat them as the second class citizens of things to do in your parks, for people who aren't quick enough/smart enough to nab the FPs for the attractions that sell themselves. If your actions as an operator are subconsciously telling guests that these are lower tier experiences, or experiences of lesser value, that's how they'll treat them. When's the last time they made a serious effort to market these attractions, or feature them as anything other than "oh, these are historical" for five seconds in a documentary? To even try to center these attractions in the conversation in ANY capacity? They haven't. Through their actions, they've as good as dismissed them to the average guest, and then act surprised when people don't treat them as worthwhile things to see.
The solution to the problem as you frame it would be to get rid of all line-skipping services or to add CBJ to the attractions that require such services. I'm not convinced that either strategy would do much to raise the show's profile or appeal. To offer the analogy of Voyage of the Little Mermaid again, that had FP+ back in the day, yet it remained unpopular.

Last edited:

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
So I have seen it mentioned a couple of times, but what was said and shown is that we are getting a new show and songs. No where does it say no animatronics or even updates. We are in budget Disney years now so do not go expecting massive changes. But last time I was there the clicking of the eye blinking and the noises of the animatronics ruined the show for me. Hoping at least for the oil can to be brought out.

The show we all know and love had some social issues. Stereotype and undertones as such. A new show is the best outcome to losing the entire thing all together. Be happy we are getting anything and party of me thinks this is something they might have had planned for the 50th just never did it.

Let's wait to judge until we see it.

LittleBuford

For what it's worth, I searched for data on how guests feel about the current show and found the following:

All three are among the lowest-rated MK attractions in our survey data:

1. Happily Ever After
:
10. Splash Mountain (highest attraction)
:
62. Carousel of Progress
:
73. Enchanted Tiki Room
:
77. Country Bear Jamboree
78. Hall of Presidents

:
87. Astro Orbiter
88. Swiss Family Treehouse
89. Casey Jr. Splash 'n' Soak Station

It's concerning to me that another of my favourites, the Enchanted Tiki Room, comes so low in the list.

LittleBuford

They should try adding in other Disney birds, like Iago and Zazu, to help activate its relevancy. They can even pretend those birds are the managers of the room, and call it "Enchanted Tiki Room: With New Managers."
I know you're joking, but at least they're not doing anything like that with CBJ. They're keeping the bears and updating the songs.

TheMaxRebo

For what it's worth, I searched for data on how guests feel about the current show and found the following:

It's concerning to me that another of my favourites, the Enchanted Tiki Room, comes so low in the list.

There is a lot of Tiki Room merch and fits with the aloha island, etc

And it is labeled as Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room ...

Obviously never say never but I think it is safer than other things in that list

Rich Brownn

My biggest concern in this regard is The American Adventure. There’s nothing actually “problematic” with it but I feel there’s some sentiment that anything overly celebratory and positive about American history could be a target of those trying to update the parks
Funny because one my friends pointed out AA basically highlights everything we did wrong and had to overcome (killing natives, civil war, world wars, depression....)

doctornick

People have been upset with Pocahontas for decades already. The film was considered a poor choice when it was even announced, as most native americans consider it a white washed fairy tale invented by John Smith to make himself seem even more famous (The "story" wan't added to his memoirs when he came back. It was after she became a celebrity and it was more like "oh yeah, I knew her before she was famous. She loved ME!")
I thought it was great in the 90s that Disney was seeking to diversify their properties (eg Mulan) but always thought the idea of using a real person to tell a made up tale was bizarre. There’s surely a lot a cool Native American folklore they could have used or adapted instead.

doctornick

Funny because one my friends pointed out AA basically highlights everything we did wrong and had to overcome (killing natives, civil war, world wars, depression....)
Absolutely, personally I think that AA does a great job balancing negative aspects of US history that had to be fixed while still being generally positive and uplifting. I’m just concerned that some in the company may not agree.

Tony the Tigger

I’m very thankful the bears are staying. However the Disney song aspect is disappointing. I wish they would do something original. Not everything needs to be movie IP.
Heaven forbid, Disney music at Disney World. I wouldn't expect to hear that. Hmm...
But I absolutely felt that in the wake of Disney's increased attention to social issues, it's demise was accelerated.
which is entirely appropriate and a smart business decision.
I can't back you up on that one LOL. Haven't been in that coop in at least 15 years.

brb1006

The clicks and whirrs were always part of the charm for me!

I suspect the animatronics will be updated enough to make their movements quieter.
I hope they finally give The Sun Bonnets trios their cute and prettier faces back. Tokyo Disneyland still maintains their original designs.

celluloid

They are literally about to open a large walk through attraction at Epcot and have spent money in recent years opening up non Genie+ stuff like Awesome Planet and the Canada movie. So I don’t think this is really a correct assessment
Just for clarification, those opened up before Genie Plus was introduced.

LittleBuford

Fun Fact about the update:
Ethan F Reed was one of the imagineers who pitched this back in 2004 and was the Conceptual Creative director coming up with new versions of the CBJ from about 2018 to 2020 with the pandemic putting stuff on hold.
Now I wish I had the "Now That's A Fun Fact" clip from Miles In Transit....

I love that the new poster retains the vintage feel of the original show's artwork!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom