News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

MerlinTheGoat

UNM was very unpopular, while the original Tiki Room was still very popular over at Disneyland. Seemed like a decently easy and cheapish solution to change it back again. Especially since they never bothered to restore the old fountain sadly...

Maybe someday the original CBJ will come back too if this new show flops or has a small fire of its own. Not likely, but you never know.

Wouldn't mind a few of the screens for Nigel Channing exploding too (after hours).

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
Maybe someday the original CBJ will come back too if this new show flops or has a small fire of its own. Not likely, but you never know.
If the new tech really allows them to change the show programming on a dime, there is no reason this shouldn't happen. At the very least, a Christmas show should happen again. But the original needs to come back at some point.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is going to be a hot take but I enjoyed Under New Management.

tenor.gif

Bocabear

Setting aside the Tiki purist that I am, the first time I went into Under New Management had been a few years since my last visit...where people were getting up and walking out through the entire show until there were only about 10 people in the audience by the end... (That was the original show...fountain and all)... After the change to Under New Management, I can't say I didn't enjoy it and think it was a fun take...as long as it wasn't permanent... The Uh-Oah figure was amazing, the show was fast paced and everyone seemed to like it... At least they stayed seated...
After my third or fourth visit over the next few years, I longed for the original show again...Under New Management did not age well... But for a moment, it was cute and funny...and a real product of that mid 90s Hollywood thing.... It wasn't all bad...
now they need to restore that fountain and do something about the audio... Remaster the recordings, New subwoofers.... Something...it is a beautful show.

Bocabear

Imagine my face when I have only ever visited WDW post new management, visited DL, watched Tiki Room, and saw a working fountain. My first words “Why don’t we have that?”
It was beautiful back in the day....and when the Florida Citrus Growers were the sponsor, and theDole Whip stand next door was the Sunshine Tree Terrace...they had a frozen orange juice think, much like Dole Whip, and the counter area was all underneath a gigantic orange tree with translucent green plastic leaves and an animatronic Orange Bird... It also had rotating filters over the overhead spotlights to make it look like sunlights filtering down through the tree... It was beautiful... THen Under New Management and Aladdin, nd it is what we have now... Sure wish Aladdin would move back out and the plaza would open back up again....

dreamfinding

It was beautiful back in the day....and when the Florida Citrus Growers were the sponsor, and theDole Whip stand next door was the Sunshine Tree Terrace...they had a frozen orange juice think, much like Dole Whip, and the counter area was all underneath a gigantic orange tree with translucent green plastic leaves and an animatronic Orange Bird...
You had me at animatronic orange bird…

But seriously, why haven’t they brought back walk around Orange Bird?

Bocabear

That's a good question...it is an IP... and a park specific IP that is really loved in Asia for some reason.... The frozen orange drink is now sold at the small window where they used to sell Dole Whip...which is immensely popular. When they brought Orange bird back out of mothballs 10 years ago, they also found and rebuilt the machine that made the orange drink...I guess it had broken years before and was just moved to storage...At least they still have the machine...and the non Animatronic Orange bird they built for the renovation of Sunshine Tree Terrace....

TrainsOfDisney

It was the first thing I’d do every trip for years. It, Philharmagic, and Winnie the Pooh were my favorite Disney attractions until I was tall enough to do more of the thrill rides.
In case you don’t already know this… those are all Kevin Rafferty projects along with our favorite AA entertainer Cosmic Ray!

I kinda liked under new management too, I was glad to get the original back but at the time new management was kinda fun.

dreamfinding

Orange Bird has a troubled history as it was created for the Florida Citrus Commission in return for sponsorship and the Commission was represented by Anita Bryant
That genuinely stinks.

I have to ask - how many guests are aware that he was created for that purpose and that she was a representative for said company? Not justifying, just asking.

Bocabear

When Anita Bryant was making her political remarks and her crusade, WDW, Enchanted Tiki Room, Orange Bird et-al were already in existence... No one knew at the time that these projects were designed and implemented that Anita Bryant would go off one her own personal religious thing against the Gays.
Orange Bird, and much of the original attraction was merely presented by the Florida Citrus Growers, and had nothing to do with anything political... At the time Anita Bryant was a Miss America Runner-up and a D list celebrity that could sing and do commercials....
The original implementation of Orange Bird and the Citrus details were all masterfully done and beautiful.

Last edited:

dreamfinding

Did I miss something? I’ve seen plenty of orange bird merch - did it all get pulled?
No, I think just a misinterpretation.

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned “why hasn’t WDW brought back walk around OB?”

Someone said it probably has something to do with Anita Bryant. Then, Boca pointed out that OB existed before Anita Bryant’s partnership with the Florida Citrus Growers. I then wondered if TWDC was using Anita Bryant’s partnership as an excuse for no walk around orange bird.

I think the excuse is more likely “We don’t want to build a new orange bird costume.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom