News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

doctornick

As I've admitted before, I have never been a big fan of CBJ - I didn't hate it or anything, but it never particularly "connected" with me. I couldn't tell you the name of any of the characters and it was probably something we only did every 3rd or 4th trip or so. So, that's the background.

I like this version. I don't love it or think that it's an improvement (I would agree with the original being superior) but I think it surprisingly works well given the premise of them singing Disney songs. Even though I know the songs, they still sound crisp and original to some degree being countrified and they really don't seem as way out of place as I feared when I saw the songlist. The humor is okay, not as good as I had really hoped but fun enough. I'm happy that they kept a similar style of humor instead of trying to be too "hip" and make fun of the old show.

Would have been nice if they had kept a few more of the old songs or added Zip (man, I would have loved that) but it's okay. I at least don't feel like they destroyed a classic attraction and made it horrible like they did with say Imagination.

Casper Gutman

Off hand (and I don't remember UNM well) but the difference seems to be that this isn't making fun of the previous show. The premise of the Tiki Bird revision was kind of saying "if you liked the old show, you are lame, he's something better". This just seems to be something new entirely and don't insult you if you preferred the previous acts.
That really seems like something fans who hadn’t been beaten down by lackluster IP overhauls brought to the show. The jabs came from Iago, who… is a jerk. That’s his character. I’m not sure how removing every song, including the very familiar theme, shows more meaningful respect for CB then Management did for Tiki. Is turning CB into a derivative IP showcase respectful?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Was the previous show engaging?
Yes
The crowd did laugh quite a few times so clearly the humor is working for some folks.
Yes, the ones who wanted to be some of the first to see it.
I can imagine some people with nostalgia missing the old show but I absolutely think the typical park guest will enjoy this show far more than the old one.
That is the excuse used now for the bare minimum and delivering less. "The typical park guest will like it." No more aiming to go above and beyond.

Surferboy567

That really seems like something fans who hadn’t been beaten down by lackluster IP overhauls brought to the show. The jabs came from Iago, who… is a jerk. That’s his character. I’m not sure how removing every song, including the very familiar theme, shows more meaningful respect for CB then Management did for Tiki. Is turning CB into a derivative IP showcase respectful?
What you are missing here is that the CB DNA is preserved. Reverence is shown for the previous shows.

Also…how about not replacing the OG Tiki room song with Gilbert singing (as much as I love Aladdin it’s my favorite Disney film) his voice is not great to listen to for an extended song.

Another thing, they left the original ending song in so no, not every song was removed. They also kept a lot of similar beats the slideshow, big Al joke, trixie, bonnets, etc.

J.E.Smith

Well I like that the lobby now looks like Tokyo's with brand new memorabilia with the bears' history.

I like the new programming and effects. I think the main negative for me is Peter Renaday not coming back as Henry or Max. Perhaps someone at the D23 showings can ask the Imagineers on why they didn't get him back,. Even if Pete couldn't pull off all the singing for Henry, they could have at least had him come back to do Max's quips.

mickEblu

There could be something big and furry heading to Cali in the next few years. Won't be a show.

That’s what I was thinking. Something like a Big Al being added to GRR. Or maybe a few of the Country Bears And they rebrand the whole ride. I’m guessing they put that Big Al statue out there to gauge interest. While I’m not crazy about the new iteration of the bears I’m all for it if it saves Grizzly Peak and the Grand Californian from being rethemed (or demo’d) by/ for whatever IP non sense they can imagine there. And aside from that we could do a whole lot worse than a (still kinda) charming AA show paying homage to Disneylands past.

Surferboy567

That’s what I was thinking. Something like a Big Al being added to GRR. Or maybe a few of the Country Bears And they rebrand the whole ride. I’m guessing they put that Big Al statue out there to gauge interest. While I’m not crazy about the new iteration of the bears I’m all for it if it saves Grizzly Peak and the Grand Californian from being rethemed (or demo’d) by/ for whatever IP non sense they can imagine there.
Country Bears Musical River Rapids actually sounds pretty fun.

mightynine

I think Big Al singing “Remember Me” is more tasteful than the Tiki Birds singing “Hot, Hot, Hot.”
That was one of the things that fell flat for me. "Remember Me" brings to mind the beautiful ending of Coco, which stirred up some manly tears, and a ballad country version of that makes sense - possibly even better than "A Whole New World". Using that song for humor doesn't quite work for me.

aladdin2007

That was one of the things that fell flat for me. "Remember Me" brings to mind the beautiful ending of Coco, which stirred up some manly tears, and a ballad country version of that makes sense - possibly even better than "A Whole New World". Using that song for humor doesn't quite work for me.
it was over as soon as it started, has to be the shortest act in the show?
I would have loved to have seen teddybeara sing "baby mine" instead, or trixie.

The Leader of the Club

Removing Bear Band Serenade is more respectful than cutting off Tiki Tiki Tiki Room after a verse. Nobody in this show remarks how old and tired the old show was. It doesn’t try to be in your face with pop music. It feels like an extension of vacation hoedown or the Christmas show. If this show had happened 30 years ago, we’d all say it was a classic akin to those.

Casper Gutman

The current hosts of Bears aren't actively taking the out of it, saying the old show was 'boring' or 'dull' and playing radio pop songs.

Disney songs in Disney World? Fine. But Under New Management relied on songs that you could find on the radio mostly.

Under New Management was a cynical mess trying to one-up the original, this feels like a respectful continuation of the original show.
The original Country Bears relied on many songs you could have heard on an old radio station. But here’s the thing - they BECAME “Disney” songs because their role in CB gave them longevity far beyond their normal lifespan. This new show is a symptom of just how shallow and limited Disney’s understanding of IP is.

Stuffing Disney film tunes into CB, where most of them absolutely don’t fit, feels massively more cynical then Management. It’s a more elaborate and drawn-out version of Star Lord mentioning that he loved classic EPCOT.

Are Disney fans so thin-skinned that the mild barbs from a VILLAIN hurt their feelings? That seems very strange to me.

Inspired Figment

I think the show is okay overall. LOVE the improvements done to the AAs movement & fur wise. But I gotta say, I’m absolutely ‘baffled’ Peter Renaday wasn’t brought back to voice Henry. Just.. why?? I’m hoping it was just a case of not knowing he was right there.. He’s absolutely still around and can do the voice perfectly still. He’s even been brought onto D23 presentations that showcase the fact he ‘is’ (well.. was, now with this new show) Henry. Honestly saddens me they would even think to recast him to begin with. The one key role he’s had at Disney besides Mickey Mouse in the 70s-80s in Records & Toys, working at the company when Walt was still alive. Truly dumbfounded by the decision to recast Henry, really.
But overall, I’m just glad the bears weren’t axed and have a show to perform.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

What you are missing here is that the CB DNA is preserved. Reverence is shown for the previous shows.

Also…how about not replacing the OG Tiki room song with Gilbert singing (as much as I love Aladdin it’s my favorite Disney film) his voice is not great to listen to for an extended song.

Another thing, they left the original ending song in so no, not every song was removed. They also kept a lot of similar beats the slideshow, big Al joke, trixie, bonnets, etc.
Yes. They kept the original beats. That’s more or less the only humor in the show. Despite this, the old jokes - Big Al, the slide show, etc - are now presented in a way that doesn’t work. It’s cynical pandering rather then an actual attempt at a refresh - it’s Figment in the modern Journey.

The old songs used to be funny in themselves. The new batch, with the very notable exceptions of Kiss and Super, just sit there. Those are the only two numbers that try to be funny and the only two that bring anything new to the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom