News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

TrainsOfDisney

I wonder where it would go though unless they are just adding some bears to Grizzly River Run. Might be something as small as adding one Big Al AA to the ride. It's hard for me to imagine them building an entire AA show from scratch in the mid 2020's. Granted, they could have just duplicated all the AA's from MK but you still have the infrastructure etc..
There’s room at DCA over by Grizzly River - it would fit the theme well and be a nice draw to that side of the park.

PREMiERdrum

My folks were high on this from the start, and I agree with them. It's not the old show. That's okay. It's really, really good.

The figures look new and their movements are incredibly fluid. The drape and paint work is beautiful (and expensive). The lighting upgrades are very, very well done without being too much. The script has good pacing, cute gags, and memorable moments. The songs are well executed and fit the concept.

While plenty will bemoan the loss of some of the OG songs, this change will endear the original characters to new generations. That's far better than gutting it for a DVC lounge.

Casper Gutman

There was no reason in the world to get rid of the Bear Band Serenade. The replacement is terribly bland. It’s like getting rid of Grim Grinning Ghosts.

Most of the show is inoffensive - for better and worse. Most of the humor that works is copied from the original. The Big Al joke - the entire reason for his existence- is botched fairly badly.

On the positive side, Kiss the Girl works nicely.

The positive reaction genuinely surprises me. I think Tiki Room: Under New Management was a significantly better makeover - it preserved the core of the original while bringing new, effective humor to the show - and that was universally and passionately reviled. It seems like a mark of how low Disney has pushed our standards.

Bocabear

I didn't think it was bad at all...The only song I didn't care for was A Whole New world because it put Teddi Bearra as a supporting player instead of a star position... But all in all I thought it was cute... Nice to have a bit of a change-up...and I guess they could always change-up shows during the year....which would be nice. I do wish Dolly had voiced one of the bears and had her own song... All in all, cute.

mickEblu

There was no reason in the world to get rid of the opening Bear Band song. The replacement is terribly bland. It’s like getting rid of Grim Grinning Ghosts.

Most of the show is inoffensive - for better and worse. Most of the humor that works is copied from the original. The Big Al joke - the entire reason for his existence- is botched fairly badly.

On the positive side, Kiss the Girl works nicely.

The positive reaction genuinely surprises me. I think Tiki Room: Under New Management was a significantly better makeover - it preserved the core of the original while bringing new, effective humor to the show - and that was universally and passionately reviled. It seems like a mark of how low Disney has pushed our standards.

I think the bar is just being lowered with every project. TBA just opened and this isn't that. Still reminds people of Old Disney. People are also just happy the Bears are still here. So basically just people trying to be optimistic. Seems that the only thing current WDI can improve is tech. Everything else like story, charm, humor and showmanship gets downgraded with every change.

PK2

I like it. I will miss the old show forever, and wish some more of it was retained (neither Bear Band Serenade nor Blood on the Saddle is a shame and I think one could have been kept), but I think this is a fine replacement that does everything it possibly can to honour the legacy it's adopting and is a MILLION times better than potentially losing the bears for good. It'll hopefully be enjoyed for many years to come. And hey, maybe they can update the tracks used over the years! (ha ha ha ha ha not likely)

And yes, the smoking fiddle is an absolute CLASSIC bit. They could have slipped that exact scene into the original show and nobody would have bat an eyelid.

That said, do a tribute to the original show in 5 or so years with the upgraded AAs for a party night or something and I am flying right across the Atlantic for it.

Tiki Room: Under New Management was wholly cynical and disrespectful in its execution. Its central conceit was that the classic show sucked. Whereas I feel like this, within the remit they had, does a great job of acknowledging and retaining the tone and character of what came before as much as possible. If it had to be done, I'm glad they did it like this.

Casper Gutman

I really have to ask - how is this any better then Tiki Room: Under New Management, one of the most hated attractions in Disney history?

Yes, the smoking fiddle is the best new bit.

Stripes

Premium Member
I don’t notice any humor that really worked. Or charm. Or flow. Or anything that made the previous show good and engaging. Just recycled songs sung with a twang. Stale.
Was the previous show engaging? I didn’t find the previous songs catchy nor could I sing along to them. It also wasn’t memorable.

The crowd did laugh quite a few times so clearly the humor is working for some folks.

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing this show in person. I can imagine some people with nostalgia missing the old show but I absolutely think the typical park guest will enjoy this show far more than the old one.

The Leader of the Club

I think Big Al singing “Remember Me” is more tasteful than the Tiki Birds singing “Hot, Hot, Hot.”

Surferboy567

I really have to ask - how is this any better then Tiki Room: Under New Management, one of the most hated attractions in Disney history?

It doesn't have an annoying premise, it also pays homage to the original without being so “hip” and in your face that’s it’s spitting on the original. Songs fit (mostly) some outliers in there. Bears kept their personalty, AA’s look good etc.

I was pretty critical of Bayou Adventure this is definitely not that. It’s worth noting I almost never went in to see the bears in their original state. I didn’t ”hate“ the show it was just kind of tired. Some stuff in the original I liked more but buy and large I think this is a definite upgrade.

doctornick

Off hand (and I don't remember UNM well) but the difference seems to be that this isn't making fun of the previous show. The premise of the Tiki Bird revision was kind of saying "if you liked the old show, you are lame, he's something better". This just seems to be something new entirely and don't insult you if you preferred the previous acts.

Moth

The current hosts of Bears aren't actively taking the out of it, saying the old show was 'boring' or 'dull' and playing radio pop songs.

Disney songs in Disney World? Fine. But Under New Management relied on songs that you could find on the radio mostly.

Under New Management was a cynical mess trying to one-up the original, this feels like a respectful continuation of the original show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom