News Country Bear Jamboree is getting new songs and acts

MerlinTheGoat

Davy Crockett is a Disney IP though and the raccoon is pretty iconic
I'll reiterate that I think that song is on its way out of the parks going forward. Yes the show only ever contained the first and third verses, which had nothing that could offend anyone. But it's the association with the other lyrics that would put it under the radar.

In eighteen thirteen the Creeks uprose,
Addin' redskin arrows to the country's woes
Now, Injun fightin' is somethin' he knows,
So he shoulders his rifle an' off he goes
Davy, Davy Crockett, the man who don't know fear

Off through the woods he's a marchin' along,
Makin' up yarns an' a singin' a song
Itchin' fer fightin' an' rightin' a wrong,
He's ringy as a b'ar an' twic't as strong
Davy, Davy Crockett, the buckskin buccaneer

He fought single-handed through the Injun War,
Till the Creeks was whipped an' peace was in store
An' while he was handlin' this risky chore,
Made hisself a legend for evermore
Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier

He give his word an' he give his hand,
That his Injun friends could keep their land
An' the rest of his life he took the stand,
That justice was due every redskin band
Davy, Davy Crockett, holdin' his promise dear

I am not calling for the song to be removed from the show (quite the opposite and most people who know me here will understand i'm not an advocate of this sort of thing), but I would be extremely shocked if the show reopens with any part of it. That sounds like exactly the sort of thing that Disney would fight to purge all traces of.

MerlinTheGoat

Literally everything at the Magic Kingdom could be cancelled if the desire was there. Some people have issue with the National anthem and the battle hymn of the republic.

Now that doesn’t mean you are wrong - but looking up obscure verses to Davy Crockett doesn’t seem like an automatic cancel.
Those two classic American songs you noted don't contain any racially insensitive words and descriptions of violent battles waged against indigenous people as a part of the lyrics. You would have to get into a deeper philosophical discussion to dissect ill intent. The Battle Hymn in fact is an abolitionist song that had a distinctly progressive message for its time.

There are indeed some people who will go out of their way to call everything offensive. And I do find such behavior miserable and obnoxious. But there are some things that are admittedly much more glaring targets than others. Things that don't require deep analysis to see that Disney would try to purge it. The Ballad of Davy Crockett is such an example. Disney has canceled plenty of other things for far less (and are continuing to do so). This renovation with new programming/songs also gave them an opportunity to do it. I repeat, if the song survives then i'll be shocked.

Cmdr_Crimson

I wish social media had never taken off. It’s made our society so much worse and caused so many to be hyper offended by everything.
Like this forum?
I guess Brian Was Right...
5c30e10349d7a130f5b532e732b444ad.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom