Country Bear Jamboree closing for lengthy refurbishment in August

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Disney dropped the whole ticketing of rides when Epcot opened, and ever since all management has had is daily ride counts and guest compliments/complaints.

Meaning that it is virtually impossible to figure out exactly how the Christmas overlay affects overall attendance at MK, we're looking at intangibles here. What is known is that MK is really a bunch of fiefdoms and the decision to close might have been to make one fiefdom look like it was saving money, though at the expense of overall park experience.

With modern computing power/technology, all the Christmas overlay should require is changing some costumes and adding decorations. Period. This should only take a couple weeks, maybe less. In reality, they should have a ton of different shows ready to go at the press of a button as the show was designed to be updated, IMHO.

Tokyo Disneyland has its act together and runs three different shows each year, the original, the vacation, and the Christmas show. Why would it be cost feasible in Tokyo and not MK??

There are guests that look (looked) forward to the Christmas overlay, so not having it decreases guest experience. Unhappy guests come less often, spend less, such as buying less merchandise. If they did the Christmas Show and sold CBJ Christmas sourvenirs and such it would probably help the overall guest experience at MK. Even if you're not a fan, you'll be able to dislike the attraction less if Disney put some care into it.

What if they finally produced that special CBJ Halloween show and offered special merchandise? They'd make millions. Certainly that would pay for such a show, and would offset criticism of this neglected attraction.

What's going to happen next, a Fantasyland manager shutdowns SWSA and replaces it with a meet and greet because it means less rides to maintain once the FLE is complete?

Oh . . . I guess that is going to happen.

My favorite holiday Layover is the Haunted Mansion Holiday in Disneyland. Besides big green plastic trees, WDW doesn't have as much magic as Disneyland when it comes to special holiday events, besides Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.
All correct but has attendance gone down or up since they stopped doing the overlay? Considering that it has gone up, it would seem to me that far too few people care about the xmass overlay enough to make it worth doing.

Buried20KLeague

Just popping in to say this is great news, and I seriously hope the audio is fixed.

Count me as one that misses the other shows (loved the vacation hoedown in Tokyo, even if I could only understand about half of it!!!) but I fully know they won't bring them back. :(

Magenta Panther

Very good news! The last refurb, in my opinion, wasn't nearly enough. I was so disappointed in the sound and with the stiff movements of the AAs. It'll be interesting to read other members' opinions of the refurb when it's finished (I won't be at WDW for awhile; saving up my pennies for Disneyland after Buena Vista Street opens!) :)

sgtmgd

I'm happy to hear this news. I know that CBJ is not the most popular attraction with some of our members, but I always enjoy the show.

Ditto here...I always visit CBJ when there..its like the Hall of Presidents...I say I wont watch it but somehow fin myself sitting there

disney fan 13

Very glad to hear this. This along with the Liberty Belle and Thunder Mountain refurbishments, should make Frontierland the most kept up land in the Magic Kingdom. (Minus Splash)

Animaniac93-98

I think the Riverboat counts as Liberty Square, but the Shootin' Arcade was given an extensive refurbishment too. Funny how everything in Frontierland but SM is getting extensive work done to it. :lol:

For the Bears, like the Tiki Birds, I hope this work will do them good.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I actually had "seeing the CBJ" as one of the 'classic' things to FINALLY do on my September trip.

Looks like I'll miss the refurb finish by a few weeks. Oh well.

Next time.

JimboJones123

It costs money to do and makes none in return. It is no more complicated than that.

It took a lot more effort and a crapload more money to open the Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special last year. Everyday single showing was filled before they cracked the door.

There is a huge market for holiday entertainment. Holiday Special didn't bring in a dime either.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It took a lot more effort and a crapload more money to open the Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special last year. Everyday single showing was filled before they cracked the door.

There is a huge market for holiday entertainment. Holiday Special didn't bring in a dime either.
Turning when was in essence an empty theater into an attraction for peak season is quite a bit different than doing an overlay on an existing attraction. One actually adds capacity to the park and that capacity carries a dollar value.

pumpkin7

sooo glad the bears are getting some love. they need it. they need to sort out the audio desperately. it's too quiet. good good!

JimboJones123

Turning when was in essence an empty theater into an attraction for peak season is quite a bit different than doing an overlay on an existing attraction. One actually adds capacity to the park and that capacity carries a dollar value.

I am still not convinced that the cost is that high. When DL can do a HM overlay in 3 weeks, I cannot imagine that the labor to do this would be much more than 120 man huts. That is wasted without batting a lash.

More holiday buzz = looser holiday wallets.

Give guest a reason to buy a holiday T-shirt. Make a holiday trip special again.

Promoting this holiday experience would fill half empty theaters. You keep revering to it as a popular show. It isn't. It would increase guests that actually bother to go.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am still not convinced that the cost is that high. When DL can do a HM overlay in 3 weeks, I cannot imagine that the labor to do this would be much more than 120 man huts. That is wasted without batting a lash.

More holiday buzz = looser holiday wallets.

Give guest a reason to buy a holiday T-shirt. Make a holiday trip special again.

Promoting this holiday experience would fill half empty theaters. You keep revering to it as a popular show. It isn't. It would increase guests that actually bother to go.
It is not about the cost being high. Current management simply does not see a value in doing it because it does not bring extra people into the park. In the case of DL, where you have a very large segment of your client base being locals, seasonal overlays do bring in extra people into the parks. DL does these things because they have to, just like Epcot has to do Food and Wine, Flower and Garden, etc. MK just has little need for special, seasonal attractions and events to bring in guests.

I wish this were not the case because I love the seasonal overlays, but that is the reality.

Pixiedustmaker

All correct but has attendance gone down or up since they stopped doing the overlay? Considering that it has gone up, it would seem to me that far too few people care about the xmass overlay enough to make it worth doing.
And actually, it seems you are wrong on the attendance figures:

Magic Kingdom

17,063,000 (2008) 17,233,000 (2009) 16,972,000 (2010)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amusement_park_attendance_figures

So you can see, attendance has stagnated at WDW. (I don't know what 2011 figures are, but CBJ's Christmas Show was shuttered a while ago).

Total attendance figures are driven by a lot more than just a single ride. Disney has said publicly that they believe that Potterland would increase WDW's attendance as Uni's new land draws in more tourists to the Orlando area.

The point is that when individual attractions fail to meet standards, or are left to stagnate, it lowers the overall quality of the park and fewer guests come as a result, or they spend less. In MK's case, if E-tickets were added earlier, and if CBJ got its christmas overlay, in addition to other attractions such as HM, IASW, then maybe attendance would increase even more.

Let's say CBJ Christmas brings in a measley 1,000 more guests as a result.

If the average guest spends, I'm guessing, $2,000 per visit at Disney, including rooms, tickets, merch, then that is about $2 million lost per year, maybe $8 million over four years?

Pixiedustmaker

The last time I saw CBJ in MK it was about 80% full, I bet some shows run half full. At any rate, if they added a new shot if would bring in some fans to come just to see the new show. They do have two theaters, I forget if they are using both, but it is obvious that CBJ is not always going at full capacity.

The point to returning the Christmas show is to keep guests happy who like it, and adding another special feature to make the overall park experience special during the holidays.

Holiday overlays seem to work wonders in Disneyland as far as drawing in repeat business.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And actually, it seems you are wrong on the attendance figures:

Magic Kingdom

17,063,000 (2008) 17,233,000 (2009) 16,972,000 (2010)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_amusement_park_attendance_figures

So you can see, attendance has stagnated at WDW. (I don't know what 2011 figures are, but CBJ's Christmas Show was shuttered a while ago).

Total attendance figures are driven by a lot more than just a single ride. Disney has said publicly that they believe that Potterland would increase WDW's attendance as Uni's new land draws in more tourists to the Orlando area.

The point is that when individual attractions fail to meet standards, or are left to stagnate, it lowers the overall quality of the park and fewer guests come as a result, or they spend less. In MK's case, if E-tickets were added earlier, and if CBJ got its christmas overlay, in addition to other attractions such as HM, IASW, then maybe attendance would increase even more.

Let's say CBJ Christmas brings in a measley 1,000 more guests as a result.

If the average guest spends, I'm guessing, $2,000 per visit at Disney, including rooms, tickets, merch, then that is about $2 million lost per year, maybe $8 million over four years?
Present your financial analysis to Phil and if he agrees then I am sure Country Bear Christmas will make a return. My guess is he has data that says otherwise.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The last time I saw CBJ in MK it was about 80% full, I bet some shows run half full. At any rate, if they added a new shot if would bring in some fans to come just to see the new show. They do have two theaters, I forget if they are using both, but it is obvious that CBJ is not always going at full capacity.

The point to returning the Christmas show is to keep guests happy who like it, and adding another special feature to make the overall park experience special during the holidays.

Holiday overlays seem to work wonders in Disneyland as far as drawing in repeat business.
As mentioned previously, DL and MK are different animals when to comes to this.

Pixiedustmaker

It is not about the cost being high. Current management simply does not see a value in doing it because it does not bring extra people into the park. In the case of DL, where you have a very large segment of your client base being locals, seasonal overlays do bring in extra people into the parks. DL does these things because they have to, just like Epcot has to do Food and Wine, Flower and Garden, etc. MK just has little need for special, seasonal attractions and events to bring in guests.

I wish this were not the case because I love the seasonal overlays, but that is the reality.

MK is obviously courting repeat business more than in the past, attendance has stagnated, and with the internet a lot of disgusted families are canceling the big trip they make every 5 years to WDW.

MK does have a need for special events, look at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. When Harry Potter 2 opens, attendance at Magic Kingdom will continue to stagnate.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
MK is obviously courting repeat business more than in the past, attendance has stagnated, and with the internet a lot of disgusted families are canceling the big trip they make every 5 years to WDW.

MK does have a need for special events, look at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. When Harry Potter 2 opens, attendance at Magic Kingdom will continue to stagnate.
There is a big difference in a special hard ticket event and a daily offering. Just look at the difference in quality between your average SWW and Last Tour to Endor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom