Countdown to Fun opening

mm52200

It's kind of sad though when you think about it. For me atleast Block Party Bash was a huge step forward for WDW entertainment. It showed how they were capable of pulling off a show/parade like that when many people guessed they would have to dumb down the choreography or have no gymnists. However they never dumbed down any choreography and never cut the gymnists...till now. The parade that was once a step forward for WDW entertainment is now a huge step backward for WDW entertainment.

Tori

It's kind of sad though when you think about it. For me atleast Block Party Bash was a huge step forward for WDW entertainment. It showed how they were capable of pulling off a show/parade like that when many people guessed they would have to dumb down the choreography or have no gymnists. However they never dumbed down any choreography and never cut the gymnists...till now. The parade that was once a step forward for WDW entertainment is now a huge step backward for WDW entertainment.

I agree 150%!

Watching the parade on the Sunday was such a slap in the face.

TP2000

It's kind of sad though when you think about it. For me atleast Block Party Bash was a huge step forward for WDW entertainment.

And yet Block Party Bash was a leftover parade created, designed, and choreographed six years ago in Anaheim, debuting in DCA as part of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary on May 5th, 2005. After it had run its course for a few years at DCA, and was being replaced by the Pixar Play Pals Parade in '08, it got shipped out to WDW.

The Countdown To Fun Parade is apparently what WDW Entertainment Department is capable of when they aren't just receiving a hand-me-down Disneyland production.

I'm not trying to rub their noses in it, but I think it's important to remember that WDW's team can't take any of the credit for Block Party Bash. About all they can take the credit for on BPB was paying for the shipping costs from Anaheim to Orlando. :rolleyes:

mm52200

^^^ True! They can definitely never take credit for creating it but during its run as Block Party Bash they never took out any elements or dumbed it down. However now they have taken out elements and severely dumbed it down

fillerup

Looks like at least one O'Sentinel columnist agrees:

Countdown to Fun? More like Countdown to Ho-Hum

"There's some irony -- bitter irony -- in the fact that Disney World's new parade has added "fun" to the title, yet removed the elements that make watching a parade fun.

Admittedly, the new parade -- called Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun -- had a tough act to follow at Disney's Hollywood Studios, coming after the high-energy acrobatics of Block Party Bash.

But with this totally forgettable parade, it's as if Disney didn't even try. Block Party Bash had trampoline artists, shouting contests, a participatory dance party. The original Countdown to Fun Parade, at Disney's California Adventure, featured gymnasts, bubbles, squirt guns and aerialists.

None of that is on hand at the Studios' Countdown.

It is nice to see Pixar characters Remy (from "Ratatouille"), and Carl, Dug the Dog and Russell from "Up." But even the characters aren't given any spark -- none speak and they have no way to express their personalities except through the same choreography as the dancers.

Think of it less as entertainment and more of a moving photo opportunity. And it moves fast: The whole parade passed me in less than 5 minutes. I clocked it at about 15 minutes from entering the park to leaving (and there's no finale, as in Block Party Bash.)

The speedy procession surely delights Disney crowd-control workers. It might also help curb disappointment. As I left the park, a guest in front of me said to his friend, "Well, at least it was short."

As usual, when Disney entertainment misfires, the hard-working cast members are left to do all they can to save the day. And the crew I saw was full of pep, singing along to the catchy tune and shouting with gusto as they repeatedly went through their countdown. Let me know when the fun arrives."

Mathew J. Palm, Theme Park Ranger

mm52200

Well I emailed Guest Relations and a whole slew of other people at Disney complaining about the parade and here's the response I got from Guest Relations:
Thank you for your recent message regarding our Pixar Pal's Countdown to
Fun! parade at Disney's Hollywood Studios®. We value your observations
and are sorry to hear that you are disappointed with our new daytime
parade. We understand how important our entertainment experiences are
for our Guests and genuinely value your comments.

As a part of our normal course of business, we regularly evaluate and
adjust our entertainment offerings. Our company continues to remain
focused on providing the best possible entertainment and magical
experiences for our Guests.

We appreciate you taking the time to express your concerns, and look
forward to hosting you in the future.

Sincerely,

Ana Brady
Guest Communication Services
Walt Disney World Resort

Basically they're saying we don't really care, but don't let that stop you from complaining! Please send emails and go to Guest Relations to complain!!!

Tori

Well I emailed Guest Relations and a whole slew of other people at Disney complaining about the parade and here's the response I got from Guest Relations:

Sincerely,

Ana Brady
Walt Disney World Resort

Basically they're saying we don't really care, but don't let that stop you from complaining! Please send emails and go to Guest Relations to complain!!!

That's the exact same response I received. I will be sending hand written letters.

T-1MILLION

Not since Stich's Supersonic celebration have I seen so much slack for a show/entertainment run attraction. I agree though, it IS bad.

Hopefully with the people's voices the same things happen.

thelookingglass

Even though you got a pre-written response, it doesn't necessarily mean that your efforts were useless. They could be keeping documenting how many complaints they receive.

mm52200

I'm hoping they are keeping track. If they have a pre written response established I would take that to mean they've recieved a lot of complaints so they have an established response to all of them.

JustInTime

Sincerely,

Ana Brady
Walt Disney World Resort

Thanks! I just emailed my request. I will update w/my response...

mm52200

So any word as to what's going on with the parade? Any improvements being made aside from slowing it down, which in all honesty makes it even worse.

Tori

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...ntdown-to-fun-parade-20110131,0,2260787.story

Word from backstage today was that the performers for Disney's Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun! parade were told Mr. Potato Head and Smitty, a fuzzy worker monster from "Monsters Inc.," would be joining the parade.

Could this be an acknowledgment that the on-the-cheap parade, which debuted Jan. 16, just isn't cutting it?

Disney often tinkers with parades and takes guest comments into consideration -- Internet reaction to the Countdown to Fun parade has been particularly negative.

The Countdown to Fun parade replaced Block Party Bash, a lengthy "street party" that boasted acrobatics, an army of dancers, guest participation, surprise character appearances and a volley of soft Nerf balls at the end for guests to take home.

Countdown to Fun pales in comparison. A simple character procession, it rolls by guests in about five minutes.

While adding a few miscellaneous characters won't address what's fundamentally wrong with the parade, in my opinion, at least it shows Disney is aware of dissatisfaction over its shortcomings.

mm52200

^^^ well its a step in the right direction? Not really, but what they need to do is just bring back Block Party...but that'll never happen. So can they atleast add more dancers, give them interesting choreography, change the soundtrack so each float has its own track, get better costumes since these are simply leftovers from block party, and please purchase the currently unused Incredibles and Ratatouille floats from DCA? All those things could improve this parade...but they probably won't do them.

ght

^^^ well its a step in the right direction? Not really, but what they need to do is just bring back Block Party...but that'll never happen. So can they atleast add more dancers, give them interesting choreography, change the soundtrack so each float has its own track, get better costumes since these are simply leftovers from block party, and please purchase the currently unused Incredibles and Ratatouille floats from DCA? All those things could improve this parade...but they probably won't do them.

My guess it they will keep adding characters until enough people shut up about it. I don't imagine you will see much of what you list done, just enough tinkering to get people to leave them alone.

llrain

hurm..the typical response....Why bother sending anything, it honestly gets you nowhere. Year after year we send these things and time and again its the same response.
Might as well say: "We value your observations but you are just a guest and we know you are going to keep coming anyways and spend money so we will just leave it as is. Thank you for trying, See you on your next visit."

Thanks! I just emailed my request. I will update w/my response...

NewfieFan

Why fix what isn't broken? What was wrong with BPB? It was a fairly new parade/street party (at least for WDW is was fairly new). Is there any reason why they felt the need to replace to BPB with this junk!

I should reserve my final judgement for when I see it in person but the video is just horrible to watch.

aladdin2007

I think the more who complain (nicely by the way) in person at guest relations the better. I would think that would go further than emails and letters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom