Countdown to Fun opening

freediverdude

Bring back Stars and Motorcars. It fits in the theme of the park, has catchy parade music, has a wide selection of characters so most people can see their favorites, and from what I recall, doesn't require acrobatics or major choreography.

mm52200

^^^ but I think people enjoy acrobats and major choreography, that's what they liked about BPB and why they don't like the new

Tori

Bring back Stars and Motorcars. It fits in the theme of the park, has catchy parade music, has a wide selection of characters so most people can see their favorites, and from what I recall, doesn't require acrobatics or major choreography.

And that's why I didn't enjoy Star and Motors Cars very much. If you want to see a generic parade with characters waving at you than go to MK and AK. Leave Block Party for the people who like something different.

tecowdw

I don't think the parades have been very good at DHS since the Alladin parade quite a few years back. Stars & Motorcars was okay but I'm not a big fan of these noisy parades since. I for one don't care for the "high energy" type parades there.

Give me a MK type parade anyday!

spacebaby

Why fix what isn't broken? What was wrong with BPB? It was a fairly new parade/street party (at least for WDW is was fairly new). Is there any reason why they felt the need to replace to BPB with this junk!

I should reserve my final judgement for when I see it in person but the video is just horrible to watch.

BPB would have been replaced due to the cost of performing it, like everything these days, performers cost money. That's why MK has a dull 5 minute parade and AK hasn't changed its parade since the day they opened - simple basic parades are relatively safe (from an accident point of view) and they can get away with minimal performers. Let's face it, you travel 4500 miles to WDW and see a boring parade - will that stop you coming back when you also got to see the amazing stage shows (Finding Nemo, Beauty & The Beast etc) and ride the rides? I think not and they know it - complain away just like I did at Universal when they stuck the annual passholder viewing area for the Macy Parade being a guest walkway so we had people walking in front of us the whole time - they don't care, they already have our money and are confident we'll be back which I hate to say I will as I still love it there.

menamechris

I think the more who complain (nicely by the way) in person at guest relations the better. I would think that would go further than emails and letters.

Possibly. I agree that management probably won't take you very seriously if you openly state that you are judging the parade by a YouTube video, and you aren't pleased. I am sure they are far more concerned with the paying customer that is actually there, spent the money, waited an hour to see it, and then was disappointed. From that standpoint, I agree that maybe a quick trip to Guest Services - followed up by a letter when you get home - would be more effective. But I would certainly follow it up with the letter - it is something that can be added to a pile and counted as a valid complaint. All my interactions with guest relations (about anything) has boiled down to essentially - What will make you happy so you will go away? A friend and I complained one day at Hollywood Studios about an absurd security officer checking bags, who was downright rude. The girl in guest relations offered us a FastPass for Toy Story instead of actually addressing our complaint, or even making a note of it. That is what we are dealing with, guys.....

mm52200

I don't think the parades have been very good at DHS since the Alladin parade quite a few years back. Stars & Motorcars was okay but I'm not a big fan of these noisy parades since. I for one don't care for the "high energy" type parades there.

Give me a MK type parade anyday!

Wow so you would rather have aboring parade where the characters slowly ride by and do some jazz squares in the street? You don't want acrobats, interactive elements, interesting choreography, or an innovative show? You and TDO would get along great and it's people like you that allow them to continue cutting back instead of offering innovative parades like Block Party Bash.

menamechris

Wow so you would rather have aboring parade where the characters slowly ride by and do some jazz squares in the street? You don't want acrobats, interactive elements, interesting choreography, or an innovative show? You and TDO would get along great and it's people like you that allow them to continue cutting back instead of offering innovative parades like Block Party Bash.

While I get what you are saying, in all fairness, BPB wasn't everyones cup of tea (myself included). I like the format and style of a MK parade as well, that has a catchy tune, incorporates Disney music, and keeps moving. That was what was nice about it tho - people who liked an interactive parade had (and I guess liked) the BPB, those of us who like a more traditional parade have MK.

mm52200

Exactly, menamechris! Not everyone has to like BPB that's why there are multiple parades. If you don't like it enjoy the parades at MK and AK but for the people who like BPB, let us enjoy it and you can still enjoy the parades at MK and AK.

RSoxNo1

The parade was launched sans all of the Ratatouille characters being ready, it's possible that some of these extra additions would have been added regardless.

Having said that, Jim Hill's article on this mentions one very important thing - Tom Staggs saw it and was disappointed. He's only going to be at the helm of Parks and Resorts for a few years, and then should be in line to take over for Iger... if he cares about the quality of the parks it's a good thing.

aladdin2007

The parade was launched sans all of the Ratatouille characters being ready, it's possible that some of these extra additions would have been added regardless.

Having said that, Jim Hill's article on this mentions one very important thing - Tom Staggs saw it and was disappointed. He's only going to be at the helm of Parks and Resorts for a few years, and then should be in line to take over for Iger... if he cares about the quality of the parks it's a good thing.

Then maybe hes the one a letter should be sent to, Staggs I mean. He may not ever see it most likely but the more that get to his group of people the better.

mm52200

I just read that article but it's really disapointing because even Tom Staggs didn't like it. But their solution is add a few characters? It's even more disapointing that Block Party Bash was cut back because of the operations folks. The parade never seemed to cause too much of a problem in my opinion, but I guess this parade is easier to manage.

aladdin2007

I just read that article but it's really disapointing because even Tom Staggs didn't like it. But their solution is add a few characters? It's even more disapointing that Block Party Bash was cut back because of the operations folks. The parade never seemed to cause too much of a problem in my opinion, but I guess this parade is easier to manage.

Agree, taking out a character adding in a character or two isnt going to do anything to help. The music is lousy, and the floats are cheap spray painted boxes. With nothing much more. Seriously?

BigThunderMatt

Nah, You should do one better and send these individuals a personalized e-mail:

Thomas O Staggs- Chairman Walt Disney Parks & Resorts: Tom.Staggs@Disney.com
Meg Crofton- President of WDW: Meg.Crofton@Disney.com
Rilous Carter- VP DHS/Spec Events: Rilous.Carter@Disney.com
Steven B Davison- VP Parades and Spectaculars: Steve.Davison@Disney.com

Now is the time to complain people! Complain like you've never complained before!

Like any of them would care. I can't speak for Rilous or Steven, but Tom is likely clueless as to the way things are actually handled at WDW. Whenever his presence was imminent at the resort, anyone in the know would have details on his exact whereabouts during his visits down to the absolute second. And of course, no matter where he traveled he was never without his entourage which typically included Meg and a Park VP.

Speaking of Meg, she typically gets the same treatment and is probably the biggest tool in TDO next to some of the park VPs. Never put a career HR person in a job requiring actual operational front line experience to be fully in-touch with how your company works.

I'm sure both of these people know full well what they see when they do their brief and rare visits is not what is the norm, but they turn a blind eye to it because not doing so would require them to, you know, actually work and strive for improvement. And that won't score them a big bonus at the end of the year. Maintaining the status quo of cheapness will.

Not to mention I'm sure all of their secretaries would delete the e-mails before any of them were read.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Like any of them would care. I can't speak for Rilous or Steven, but Tom is likely clueless as to the way things are actually handled at WDW. Whenever his presence was imminent at the resort, anyone in the know would have details on his exact whereabouts during his visits down to the absolute second. And of course, no matter where he traveled he was never without his entourage which typically included Meg and a Park VP.

Speaking of Meg, she typically gets the same treatment and is probably the biggest tool in TDO next to some of the park VPs. Never put a career HR person in a job requiring actual operational front line experience to be fully in-touch with how your company works.

I'm sure both of these people know full well what they see when they do their brief and rare visits is not what is the norm, but they turn a blind eye to it because not doing so would require them to, you know, actually work and strive for improvement. And that won't score them a big bonus at the end of the year. Maintaining the status quo of cheapness will.

Not to mention I'm sure all of their secretaries would delete the e-mails before any of them were read.

I agree with you completely about Meg 'In Over Her Head' Crofton, but I have more faith in Tom Staggs than you do. I give him credit for fixing the FLE and preventing it from becoming Princess Land.

TP2000

I can't speak for Rilous or Steven, but Tom is likely clueless as to the way things are actually handled at WDW. Whenever his presence was imminent at the resort, anyone in the know would have details on his exact whereabouts during his visits down to the absolute second. And of course, no matter where he traveled he was never without his entourage which typically included Meg and a Park VP.

Now that's just sad that Tom's visits to WDW are so regulated and corporate-focused. I have seen Tom Staggs and his family multiple times at Disneyland over the last 18 months; and he's always dressed casually and hanging out with his boys and going on all the "cool" rides a 12 year old boy would want to.

Here's a pic of Tom Staggs (orange polo, khakis, sneakers) at California Adventure with his family going on the Maliboomer before it was torn out last year, and not a pandering TDA executive in sight. Just a dad at Disneyland with his kids. A dad who happens to be in charge of the entire place. :cool:

P1018557.jpg

I've also seen Lasseter at Disneyland many times over the past few years, and he's more noticeable because he wears a loud Hawiian print shirt with Disney stuff on it, and he's usually leading the way running off to the next ride while his family tries to keep up. :lol:

As for the executive emails, good luck with that. It's a widely accepted policy in corporate America that no one over the rank of Vice President uses their "real" email for business. Top executives have a secret email account using the standard corporate address format, but substituting a wifes maiden name or childs nickname for their usual surname. Disney executives are no different.

Anyone who tries to email Bob Iger or Tom Staggs or even Meg by using the typical Robert.Iger@disney.com type format will just get their note sent to a corporate collection bin where a cubicle dweller will give it a quick glance before maybe forwarding on to the appropriate corporate communications department for a processed form response. Those execs will never see the email, and will never even know it existed or was received.

RSoxNo1

Now that's just sad that Tom's visits to WDW are so regulated and corporate-focused. I have seen Tom Staggs and his family multiple times at Disneyland over the last 18 months; and he's always dressed casually and hanging out with his boys and going on all the "cool" rides a 12 year old boy would want to.

Here's a pic of Tom Staggs (orange polo, khakis, sneakers) at California Adventure with his family going on the Maliboomer before it was torn out last year, and not a pandering TDA executive in sight. Just a dad at Disneyland with his kids. A dad who happens to be in charge of the entire place. :cool:

P1018557.jpg

I've also seen Lasseter at Disneyland many times over the past few years, and he's more noticeable because he wears a loud Hawiian print shirt with Disney stuff on it, and he's usually leading the way running off to the next ride while his family tries to keep up. :lol:

As for the executive emails, good luck with that. It's a widely accepted policy in corporate America that no one over the rank of Vice President uses their "real" email for business. Top executives have a secret email account using the standard corporate address format, but substituting a wifes maiden name or childs nickname for their usual surname. Disney executives are no different.

Anyone who tries to email Bob Iger or Tom Staggs or even Meg by using the typical Robert.Iger@disney.com type format will just get their note sent to a corporate collection bin where a cubicle dweller will give it a quick glance before maybe forwarding on to the appropriate corporate communications department for a processed form response. Those execs will never see the email, and will never even know it existed or was received.

Is the bald cast member behind Staggs a personal guide? That looks like the personal guide outfits.

BigThunderMatt

I agree with you completely about Meg 'In Over Her Head' Crofton, but I have more faith in Tom Staggs than you do. I give him credit for fixing the FLE and preventing it from becoming Princess Land.

Don't kid yourself. He's a former CFO. He's just as concerned about the bottom line as TDO. I guarantee you the only reason that coaster was greenlighted for FLE was because it was the cheapest alternative to the MNG that could be implemented while being able to up the attraction count simultaneously. I'm sure there were other, far more extravagant ideas on the table that were shot down because of budget.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom