Countdown to Fun opening

gigasteve

It's a shame this new parade doesn't feature all the talented performers the previous one did. However the music is really disappointing. I never thought the BPB music was very Pixar, but this seems even less so. This might be out of left field, but do you think they would ever try incorporating these remixes that are on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2yt1ooLQGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6j0gev29MA

It might be a little out there, but I feel like these are a lot more fun and truer to the films than the current soundtrack.

mm52200

The song has been stuck in my head all day, but I cant even enjoy it because I keep thinking of the awful show that now comes with it. I have always been one to see the bright side of the things that Disney does, very rarely criticizing, but this parade is just terrible. :cry:

(Then again I'm not helping because I just booked a trip in march!)

I agree 100%! I always try to stay positive but this is the point where I draw the line trying to defend Disney. There's nothing positive to really say about this parade.

djkidkaz

Really? The only reason you didn't like BPB was because it had the YMCA and Macarena in it? You didn't at all appreciate the acrobats, the live green army men, the great choreography, the show stops, the interactiveness? You'd rather watch repainted BPB floats slowly go by, reused costumes and props from BPB, and a soundtrack from DCA? I mean I like the soundtrack but that's about all it has going for it.

Actually yes, I hated everything you said. I didn't like the show stops, the music, the acrobats and especially the interactiveness of pulling people out of the crowd. I just dont like the idea of having CM's or guests in a parade. I don't care to see some random kid jumping around with a baton, Im there to see Buzz and Woody, Chip and Dale or princesses. I want the characters in my parades to be CHARACTERS! I don't mind it as much in say the xmas parade because the CM's are themed to something specific, like ice skaters or elves. At the Studios parade, they are just random people in horribly ugly outfits.

Tori

If you were dissapointed in this parade as I was I encourage you to send a letter to Disney about it. I went into Guest Services after the parade to leave a comment about it and they said the recieved quite a few comments about it.

Walt Disney World
Guest Communication Services
Post Office Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, Fl
32830-0040

mm52200

Actually yes, I hated everything you said. I didn't like the show stops, the music, the acrobats and especially the interactiveness of pulling people out of the crowd. I just dont like the idea of having CM's or guests in a parade. I don't care to see some random kid jumping around with a baton, Im there to see Buzz and Woody, Chip and Dale or princesses. I want the characters in my parades to be CHARACTERS! I don't mind it as much in say the xmas parade because the CM's are themed to something specific, like ice skaters or elves. At the Studios parade, they are just random people in horribly ugly outfits.

Well that's ashame I guess you would rather just have no floats or dancers and just have the characters walk down the street at three o clock every day. I'm sure Disney would like that too, it's a lot cheaper, possibly even cheaper than this new sorry excuse for a parade. I'm sorry you don't appreciate high quality and innovative entertainment. You say you didn't like the show stops, so I guess you don't like shows in general because that's basically what they were, shows, but they traveled through the park. So I guess we might as well get rid of all the other shows too. You and TDO would get along very well.

imagineer boy

I had to stop watching the video I was cringing so much. Truly the most uncreative looking floats I've ever seen. As much as I thought the celebrate today floats were ugly, at least they had some creativity put into them! Yeesh!

TP2000

You do understand the head of Disney Parks Entertainment is based out of TDA right?! TDA must bless whatever goes down the streets.

That doesn't make any sense. Ever since the 50th Anniversary in '05, Disneyland has been blessed with fresh, crisp, fun, custom-made parades and major park entertainment.

This new DHS parade is just cheapness and cutbacks and staff reductions rolling down the street. Unless you are implying that TDA purposely sabotages the entertainment created for WDW, and this Countdown To Fun Parade is just their latest evil handiwork that has them laughing hysterically in Anaheim? :confused:

My hunch is that TDO simply didn't want to spend any money, they wanted a cheaper labor and payroll budget than Block Party Bash was using, and they wanted something they could claim was "new" for 2011. The audio editing and design work may have been done by TDA, but the budget and plans were approved by TDO.

If all of the major new parades and shows Disneyland/DCA have gotten in the last five years don't prove TDA still has a creative side and a healthy bank account to work with (Parade of Dreams, Block Party Bash, Pixar Play Parade, World of Color, Fantasmic 2.0, etc., etc.) the artwork for Disneyland's upcoming Soundsational Parade pretty much proves that TDA is still willing to spend money to put on a fresh new show.

Mickey's Soundsational Parade - Disneyland, Spring 2011
Soundsational-parade.jpg

I really don't think we can blame TDA for Countdown to Fun. :lookaroun

mm52200

Also this parade only features approx. 48 performers. That's even less than BPB after you take away the acrobats and Green Army Men. It's just painfully obvious how big of a cutback it is. When will this "One Disney" start helping WDW entertainment?! Why can't we get Soundsational or PPP or POD or god forbid a BRAND NEW PARADE...nah overrated I'd rather just watch characters walk down the street.

sponono88

That doesn't make any sense. Ever since the 50th Anniversary in '05, Disneyland has been blessed with fresh, crisp, fun, custom-made parades and major park entertainment.

This new DHS parade is just cheapness and cutbacks and staff reductions rolling down the street. Unless you are implying that TDA purposely sabotages the entertainment created for WDW, and this Countdown To Fun Parade is just their latest evil handiwork that has them laughing hysterically in Anaheim? :confused:

My hunch is that TDO simply didn't want to spend any money, they wanted a cheaper labor and payroll budget than Block Party Bash was using, and they wanted something they could claim was "new" for 2011. The audio editing and design work may have been done by TDA, but the budget and plans were approved by TDO.

If all of the major new parades and shows Disneyland/DCA have gotten in the last five years don't prove TDA still has a creative side and a healthy bank account to work with (Parade of Dreams, Block Party Bash, Pixar Play Parade, World of Color, Fantasmic 2.0, etc., etc.) the artwork for Disneyland's upcoming Soundsational Parade pretty much proves that TDA is still willing to spend money to put on a fresh new show.

I really don't think we can blame TDA for Countdown to Fun. :lookaroun

Disneyland Entertainment also produced Pixie Hollow's Enchantment show, the refreshed Electrical Parade, and elecTRONica (within the past five years.)

GymLeaderPhil

You know what? I would gladly do without a parade like Disneyland has done simply to raise enough capital to produce a decent one. I know that probably doesn't gel well since all of the cuts from the entertainment roster in the last few years, but why are we as the PREMIERE STORYTELLERS in the theme park industry allowing such horrible ideas to even make it into the park.

Walt Disney World and it's management needs to focus on the basics that brings guests to the property. Not the fringe and side items. Invest in the attractions and shows!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Well that's ashame I guess you would rather just have no floats or dancers and just have the characters walk down the street at three o clock every day. I'm sure Disney would like that too, it's a lot cheaper, possibly even cheaper than this new sorry excuse for a parade. I'm sorry you don't appreciate high quality and innovative entertainment. You say you didn't like the show stops, so I guess you don't like shows in general because that's basically what they were, shows, but they traveled through the park. So I guess we might as well get rid of all the other shows too. You and TDO would get along very well.

You just said it much better and much more nicely than I would have.

I will reserve final judgment until I see this nightmare live in February. If it's as bad as it looks, I'll be sure to visit Guest Services to lodge a complaint.

mm52200

You just said it much better and much more nicely than I would have.

I will reserve final judgment until I see this nightmare live in February. If it's as bad as it looks, I'll be sure to visit Guest Services to lodge a complaint.

Thanks, funny he hasn't responded yet, yes please complain.

wdwfan22

Shame on Disney for even calling this a new parade. It was horrible!! It was almost as bad as "Celebrate A Crap Come True" over at Magic Kingdom. It's time to let some of the entertainment heads go. We need new and creative shows in the park. If this is the best they can do then they need to go. I would rather have no parade then what is currently running in both the Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom.

TP2000

Even the props (hoops, bikes etc) are reused and look like they just fell off BPB. Incredibles walking? Where`s the hover bikes???

It turns out the Hover Bikes are still in use at DCA. They just premiered this weekend in the new Pixar Pals "pop-up" show based on The Incredibles. These little mini-shows replace the parade and just sort of "pop up" into DCA throughout the afternoon.

Here's the YouTube of the Hover Bikes in action this weekend in the new Incredibles pop-up show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRLPMzEL0FU&feature=player_embedded#!

There are other pop-up shows based on Ratatouille, Bugs, Monsters, etc. until the DCA parade route construction is done in November.

So it looks like DCA isn't sharing its toys with Florida after all. :(

I had assumed they would ship out all the big floats and equipment from DCA to use in Countdown To Fun. I guess I just learned my lesson about assuming with TDO.

thelookingglass

I think I can speak for everyone at the parade today that the problems were not in any way related to the performers. Everyone gave it 110% and it showed.
I saw the opening performance and I agree completely. The performers were great. The parade... well, anyone who ever saw BPB won't be fooled. This is about as half-a**ed of a parade as Disney could have possibly done.

For starters, its SO short. The whole thing passes by you in what, 8 minutes? I can't imagine how upset I'd be if I staked out a good spot on the parade route nearly an hour beforehand only to have the whole thing finish in under 10 minutes. On the other hand though, if the floats were spread out it would make the parade an even bigger waste of time...

Second, the three or four "blocks" from BPB that were re-painted are a cheap excuse for actual floats. If Ratatouille, UP, and The Incredibles had their own floats like Bugs Life, Monsters Inc, and Toy Story, this would at least feel like a complete parade. But Remy standing on BPB blocks repainted to resemble cheese? Thats not a float, sorry Disney.

disnyfan89

If you were dissapointed in this parade as I was I encourage you to send a letter to Disney about it. I went into Guest Services after the parade to leave a comment about it and they said the recieved quite a few comments about it.

Walt Disney World
Guest Communication Services
Post Office Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, Fl
32830-0040
Nah, You should do one better and send these individuals a personalized e-mail:

Thomas O Staggs- Chairman Walt Disney Parks & Resorts: Tom.Staggs@Disney.com
Meg Crofton- President of WDW: Meg.Crofton@Disney.com
Rilous Carter- VP DHS/Spec Events: Rilous.Carter@Disney.com
Steven B Davison- VP Parades and Spectaculars: Steve.Davison@Disney.com

Now is the time to complain people! Complain like you've never complained before!

TP2000

For starters, its SO short. The whole thing passes by you in what, 8 minutes?

It actually clocks in at 6:20 minutes from start to finish.

Maybe there are some floats that aren't ready yet? Maybe there's more to it coming soon? :veryconfu

I just watched the full video again to get the 6:20 timing. It's so sparsely populated, perhaps the fewest number of performers in any Disney parade ever? It seems to be missing about two dozen dancers. Maybe three dozen.

aladdin2007

After seeing that I am one step closer to not renewing our passes this year, I dont want to give TDO one more penny. Very sad and pathetic, could things get any worse at wdw, wait dont answer that lol.

dreamfinder

It seems to me like the realized there was nothing in the parade, and tossed the traffic cones in at the end. They have nothing to do with anything and don't match.
The performers definitely seem to be trying, but there is no cohesive theme that ties everything together.
And it seems like the choreographer was a rhythmic gymnast in another life. Not necessarily a bad thing, just got a little repetitive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom