Could this mean a Matterhorn in Magic Kingdom?

TREVON 2.0

Original Poster
I was recently searching the internet today, and I found some concept art for a Magic Kingdom Matterhorn! Could this mean something?

MATTERHORN-IN-FANTASYLAND.jpg

ARTICLE:

I Say Give Us a Matterhorn!
Wouldn't that make everyone happy?? The thrill-seekers and the nostalgic-minded alike? The 20K (or former 20k) property is ginormous. It can fit a mountain, a few dark rides, and a whole lot more. Hoot says he wants a Pinocchio dark ride and I agree.

A Boat Ride and Swiss Village
In the concept above (drawn on a napkin this afternoon) you'll see the old classic Matterhorn taken to a new level. Not only is there the Matterhorn mountain much like you see at Disneyland, there is a boat ride going through the lower caves of the mountain and through a Swiss Village. The Swiss Village would include a full-service restaurant with the boat ride through the middle. There will be a quick-service restaurant and a bakery full of swiss cheeses and pastries (at the request of my wife).

Two Tracks?
Also unique to this design--- Not only is there a regular bobsled track through the mountain, the concept includes 'Junior Bobsleds' for the little ones. I ran this idea past Lilly and she said to make the tracks begin and end at the same time. That way younger riders and older riders can can load and unload together, both experiencing the 'same' attraction at the same time. This way the little riders get to ride the Matterhorn AND have a more thrilling ride to look forward to when they are older. The junior track would go through lower caves of the mountain but mostly traveling through smaller hills outside the mountain.

I say the bobsleds on both tracks should not only depart next to each other but they parallel each other for the first little while before going their own separate ways. THEN they meet up next to each other at a couple points along the way THEN end at the same unload dock. Now you can ride the same attraction three ways: regular, junior, and by boat.

djkidkaz

Project z??!

They could put this in the corner of fantasyland where pixie hollow was or maybe in adventureland?

zooey

Pretty sure this is from imagineeringdisney.com and it's just a fans concept art of what an MK matterhorn might look like.
-zoo

Jerm

I'm pretty sure it is the concept from an actual Imagineer though...

Trust me if Martin(marni1971) says "indeed" to it being fan art, it is fan art! Plus the fact it has imagineeringdisney.com in the lower left hand corner might be a dead give a way

zooey

Not sure about this image in particular, but a few contributors were imagineers at one time or another. The difference would be why it was made. In this case, it is just a fan's concept. He or she wasn't told to do so because the idea was being explored as a possibility.

Bravo 229

Not sure about this image in particular, but a few contributors were imagineers at one time or another. The difference would be why it was made. In this case, it is just a fan's concept. He or she wasn't told to do so because the idea was being explored as a possibility.

Yep, I remember him (ImagineeringDisney) posting on Twitter that it was just an idea he drew up during lunch one day, and was something he would like to see in the park.

ttalovebug

We have a Matterhorn. It's called Space Mountain.

Ride-system wise anyway. But if it's the themeing you want, we have a roller coaster in a mountain, too.

WDW FTW

Personally i think matterhorn should stay in DL its one of the few remaining classics there and with all the stuff that we are getting at WDW i think that this "project z" thing might just be a diversion to lessen the crowd surge heading to FL2.0 not a major attraction that could cause a disney park fan war :p

Crazy Harry

It's funny, I was just thinking about this today, and how I would not want this. WIth all the talk about how DL has so many more attractions than WDW MK, I was thinking about how Matterhorn doesn't really count IMO (because of so many simular attractions at WDW) and about how it would not be the best addition IMO.

I would much rather see a new original, highly themed thrill ride or traditional dark ride if anything, and not a lightly themed, repetative coaster. It's not to say Disney wouldn't do a great job on it and make it superior to the DL version, but my opinion is that we don't need Everest 2.0.

Now, a pinnochio village with a boat ride coaster hybrid would be great although may clash with the other themes in the expansion.

T-1MILLION

A list things.

1. Concept overkill. Too many similar things in MK already. No more Omnimovers, no more Mountain coasters.

2. They should fix the other snowy mountain and its missing effects (including the main show element) at the resort before they make another 'legend'

3. Less clones the better kind of feeling as Crazy Harry also pointed out

4. We have a hard time seeing Disney spend money on attractions for the Magic Kingdom since its always performed so well. We just got this large scale multi layer project going on, I would feel it is likely there will not be anything on the scale of this proposal going on any time too soon in the park.

5. Yeah, I'm 'that guy' who likes making lists.

DTM93

I'm glad this is fan-art off that website as I think it should stay at DLR really, it's one of those that should be an original to that park.

counselorgc

I don't think this "Matterhorn" thing will ever happen. And for that, I am glad, I personally do not see how the Matterhorn has anything to do with Fantasyland. It may be a cool ride, but this is the one ride that really confuses me. I am not sure why the Matterhorn was built at DL, in Fantasyland no less, other than to add some thrill aspect to the land.

I'm not trying to cause a heated debate. I promise. I just don't get it.

scotth1224

We have a Matterhorn. It's called Space Mountain.

Ride-system wise anyway. But if it's the themeing you want, we have a roller coaster in a mountain, too.

We also have Everest which is what the Matterhorn would be if it had been built today rather than in the 60's.......Even with a Disco Yeti!

sponono88

I don't think this "Matterhorn" thing will ever happen. And for that, I am glad, I personally do not see how the Matterhorn has anything to do with Fantasyland. It may be a cool ride, but this is the one ride that really confuses me. I am not sure why the Matterhorn was built at DL, in Fantasyland no less, other than to add some thrill aspect to the land.

I'm not trying to cause a heated debate. I promise. I just don't get it.

Walt himself chose that location.. I think it fits perfectly. At DL, Fantasyland has a European storybook-village look and the mountain really complements that theme. Creates a nice backdrop for the land (and also allows Tink to fly!).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom