Could this mean a Matterhorn in Magic Kingdom?

Bender!

I think getting Everest could be seen as making things "even." I remember an idea that it would be put in the Sweden pavillion if it ever came to be. But I doubt that ever will, and even then the addition of the Matterhorn would only be to give Epcot another E-ticket if such was the case.

As for MK placement, they could put it in Adventureland. As someone else already said though, Space Mountain gets the experience done, it would really just be for a change of theme.

JeffH

Matterhorn MK NO, Matterhorn Epcot YES

I agree, the Matterhorn has nothing to do with Fantasyland and it should be built IN Italy in the World Showcase of Epcot where they need more World Showcase rides (and mountains, like Mt.Fuji in Japan which would nicely provide balance). And if they build a Switzerland next door then BOTH Switzerland and Italy could fund the project. Japan can afford to build their mountain on their own.

zooey

I agree, the Matterhorn has nothing to do with Fantasyland and it should be built IN Italy in the World Showcase of Epcot where they need more World Showcase rides (and mountains, like Mt.Fuji in Japan which would nicely provide balance). And if they build a Switzerland next door then BOTH Switzerland and Italy could fund the project. Japan can afford to build their mountain on their own.

If they built a mountain in World Showcase, or any E-Ticket, it would have to be fully indoors due to the sound of screaming. Can you imagine a peaceful stroll through WS while people scream their way through a roller coaster? It would completely change the ambiance of WS.

mrpygmypuff

FYI, this is old art work

This came out back when they first started talking about the fact that they were going to change the FLE project some, this was going to be put in the pixie hollow area, that is no more. I was so excited when I first saw this, to bad it didn't make the cut. From the art work it doesn't look like the mine ride is going to be very high if you can see LM beyond. Maybe it will be put more under ground, but as I recall that area is the wardrobe and locker room area down in the tunnels.

JeffH

Pixie Hollow never made sense there, but it makes it no sense to axe it completely?!?

Pixie Hollow never made much sense where they planned to put it (surrounded by a circus, in the middle of everything?!?).
But considering all the Tinkerbell movies, the 7 (quite popular) characters and the upcoming live-action Tinkerbell movie, axing the project altogether is plain stupid. But the wooded area BEHIND the Beast's castle and the Little Mermaid attraction would make a lot of sense (not surrounded by 'the world' and all) tucked back in the woods...and would further increase the woeful capacity of the Magic Kingdom (and provide a great play area for the kids, considering they've removed 4 in the reconstruction).
Now what can they do to give Mickey a new home considering they're destroying his home and town and replacing it with a tacky Dinoland circus (got $2 to play a game sir!!!).
Maybe phase 3 will add a long tunnel (ala Roger rabbit) under the train tracks leading to a new spectacular ToonTown with a Roger Rabbit ride (Personally, I'd prefer a Jessica Rabbit ride myself;))

Neverland

But the wooded area BEHIND the Beast's castle and the Little Mermaid attraction would make a lot of sense (not surrounded by 'the world' and all) tucked back in the woods...and would further increase the woeful capacity of the Magic Kingdom (and provide a great play area for the kids, considering they've removed 4 in the reconstruction).

The problem with that is that Be our Guest and TLM both back right up to the main access road for the utilidors, in the middle right of the photo.

2gtwvw9.jpg

They'd either have to reroute that road or build some sort of tunnel under it, then they'd have to figure out how to barricade Pixie Hollow so the entire back of the utilidors isn't visible from there. Rerouting the road would also be difficult because there's a bridge that goes over the train tracks, and that resevoir over there complicates things too.

cheezbat

While I'd love to see it...ain't happening. Personally I'd like to see the Fire Mountain coaster concept come to Adventureland or Bald Mountain find its way in place of those ugly tents instead. Something new...something original for the MK!

MarkTwain

Just fan art. Didn't the blogger even say something to the effect it was drawn at a restaurant with his friend? :lol:

I think Expedition Everest represented Matterhorn's long-proposed arrival to WDW finally being put to rest. It's probably as close as we'll ever get... and face it, if the Matterhorn were built at WDW today, wouldn't it be too conceptually similar? Not to mention the scale issues it would cause at Magic Kingdom. Splash, Thunder, and Space all have the advantage that none of them are directly behind or adjacent to the castle.

WDW-Crazy

We aren't getting a Matterhorn. We already have Everest which, IMO, is better than the Matterhorn. That rendering could also be from the earlier days because I did hear that there was originally a Matterhorn proposed for the Magic Kingdom, but never built. I think Walt Dated World (or one of those sites) confirmed that.

Ignohippo

As many have stated, this is blue sky art from a very talented blogger, who I believe used to be an imagineer. He doodled this during lunch on a napkin waiting for his wife to make him a sandwich. This is not something that was done by Disney.

His concept is amazing. especially the part about it being two coasters - one for adults and one for kids - that would leave and return from the same place at the same time, even passing each other at different spots.

Everest is WDW's Matterhorn. If we ever get another mountain, it would be some thing radically different (like Bald Mountain). Everest is a key draw for AK. They wouldn't build something similar in a different park and take away that draw.

bgraham34

I am glad that the MK is not and will never get the Matterhorn. It is so much better when the parks have its own identity and not duplicate rides everywhere. It takes the excitement away from visiting other parks.

steamboat_tyler

I doubt it we would get it. The only way I wouldever see us getting it is if they add a Switzerland country in the World Showcase and put it in there for an E-Ticket type ride.

RSoxNo1

I'm ready to get flamed... The Matterhorn is overrated. It's a very uncomfortable ride. I felt the same way about Disney World's Space Mountain before they added the offboard audio - the low slung rockets/bobsleds are a negative in my mind not a positive.

SeaCastle

I'm ready to get flamed... The Matterhorn is overrated. It's a very uncomfortable ride. I felt the same way about Disney World's Space Mountain before they added the offboard audio - the low slung rockets/bobsleds are a negative in my mind not a positive.

I have to agree with you here. I had high expectations for the Matterhorn, being such a classic and all, but my experience equated to two minutes of back pain and whiplash (the rest of my family thought the same).

redshoesrock

I doubt it we would get it. The only way I wouldever see us getting it is if they add a Switzerland country in the World Showcase and put it in there for an E-Ticket type ride.

There was a proposal for a Switzerland pavilion in World Showcase back in the 70s which would have included the Matterhorn. And originally, the Matterhorn was slated to be put in the Magic Kingdom during its Phase 2 expansion; however, the 1973 energy crisis which caused a significant drop in attendance coupled with guests clamoring for a Florida Pirates of the Caribbean -and- the fact that Disney already was working on an MK rollercoaster (Space Mountain) put the Matterhorn on indefinite hiatus. Which, by now, means it won't get built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom