deleted

Hatbox Ghostbuster

It all goes hand-in-hand I think. To do a proper update to an attraction like that would have taken a lot of time -- and by the time you get the new show scenes in place, you risk them being out of date already (or totally wrong in the prediction).
I don't think out of date was a problem. 99.9% of the things talked about in Horizons still haven't happened in reality yet.

dweezil78

DLP's Discoveryland (before Buzz Lightyear) and WDW's Tomorrowland from Dec 94 - Dec 97 where the best versions of the concept. And neither was "dated" or needed much updating. Just look at the attraction line up of the later:

Alien Encounter
The Timekeeper
Carousel of Progress [then not dated]
Dreamflight
Skyway to Fantasyland
Tomorrowland Transit Authority [aka PeopleMover]
Astro Orbitor
Space Mountain
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
Galaxy Palace Theater

Right...but neither of those versions were aimed at showing guests a real future. They were both essentially Fantasy Tomorrowland of different varieties.

DanielBB8

I don't think out of date was a problem. 99.9% of the things talked about in Horizons still haven't happened in reality yet.
Sure, but the designs, ideas, approach, and concepts are old fashioned and no longer seems what the public wants. I recall the scene where a mother puts her kid to sleep via a screen telecon and robot arms. That will not fly today.

dweezil78

Sure, but the designs, ideas, approach, and concepts are old fashioned and no longer seems what the public wants. I recall the scene where a mother puts her kid to sleep via a screen telecon and robot arms. That will not fly today.

Right... Like I was saying, lots of future predictions never happen. They end up being replaced and morph over time. That's ultimately the tricky part of a thing like Horizons. Not enough to say, look this stuff hasn't happened yet... It's having to come up with new stuff that could happen based on the direction we are headed in.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

lol. Floating cities underwater, colonies in space, and heavy use of desert farming are old fashioned concepts?
The public is by and large stupid and doesn't know what they want. They cheer when a guy sends a car to space, but who was really asking for that?

And again, even with dated equipment all of those things could have been updated...if Disney wasn't stuck being Disney.

They can convert TOT to GOTG in about 6 months. You mean to say they couldn't have updated Horizons once in 10 years?

DanielBB8

lol. Floating cities underwater, colonies in space, and heavy use of desert farming are old fashioned concepts?
The public is by and large stupid and doesn't know what they want. They cheer when a guy sends a car to space, but who was really asking for that?

And again, even with dated equipment all of those things could have been updated...if Disney wasn't stuck being Disney.

They can convert TOT to GOTG in about 6 months. You mean to say they couldn't have updated Horizons once in 10 years?
You’ll run into environmentalists today with those concepts even in outer space. Today’s advocacy is sustainability.

dweezil78

Of course they could, but I don't think anyone other than us fanboys would have cared. :( As big of a Horizons fan I am, even I don't remember quite being outraged or overly upset when it first closed and was initially excited for a full on Space pavilion to open. Hindsight is 20/20 they say...

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Of course they could, but I don't think anyone other than us fanboys would have cared. :( As big of a Horizons fan I am, even I don't remember quite being outraged or overly upset when it first closed and was initially excited for a full on Space pavilion to open. Hindsight is 20/20 they say...
I daresay that the nostalgia for Horizons might not be as huge as it is now, had Disney continued to make attractions of that magnitude in it's wake. Rather than just being another great ride, it stands atop the peak of Imagineering that has been rarely duplicated. When you get force-fed money-grubbing schlock like Pixar Pier or a GOTG re-skin, well, it makes you miss what used to be that much more.

Last edited:

dweezil78

I daresay that the nostalgia for Horizons might not be as huge as it is now, had Disney continued to make attractions of that magnitude in it's wake. Rather than just being another great ride, it stands atop peak of Imagineering that has been rarely duplicated. When you get force-fed money-grubbing schlock like Pixar Pier or a GOTG re-skin, well, it makes you miss what used to be that much more.

While I agree, I also think the idea of the AA omnimover extravaganza attraction had run its course by the time they finally pulled the plug on Horizons. The novelty of fake robotic human beings just unfortunately had lost its luster. I'm glad I got to experience it and I am grateful that we still have remnants of that era in Pirates and Spaceship Earth along with shows like CoP, American Adventure, and Lincoln.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

While I agree, I also think the idea of the AA omnimover extravaganza attraction had run its course by the time they finally pulled the plug on Horizons. The novelty of fake robotic human beings just unfortunately had lost its luster. I'm glad I got to experience it and I am grateful that we still have remnants of that era in Pirates and Spaceship Earth along with shows like CoP, American Adventure, and Lincoln.
But just imagine Horizons with today's technology...an LPS attraction with state of the art AA's...
bill-cosby-mn-dreaming.gif

George Lucas on a Bench

The X-Men would make for an awesome ride because of the wild abilities of all the characters. Such a shame they only have weird stuff like GOTG and some guy with bald ladies. Even UO only has a Storm-themed teacup ride. It's pretty charming, though. Disney would probably do a similar ride these days.

Californian Elitist

There are tons of reasons why you can point fingers at Disney for not being able to do it right -- but the reality is, I can't even buy a freaking iPhone without worrying that it's going to be out of date in 6 months. Can you imagine trying to keep a legit land of the future updated??

That’s why attractions based on realistic futurism that is VERY far into the future is key. Humans won’t be going to Mars for decades. The reincarnation of extinct animals won’t be happening any time soon, and flying cars still aren’t mainstream.

CHOX

The X-Men would make for an awesome ride because of the wild abilities of all the characters. Such a shame they only have weird stuff like GOTG and some guy with bald ladies. Even UO only has a Storm-themed teacup ride. It's pretty charming, though. Disney would probably do a similar ride these days.

They’d retheme Dinosaur to SAURON: THE RIDE.

Ismael Flores

I would really like to see what WDI had in mind for DCA Marvel area. How much of the idea had to change when the eastern gateway was potponed? hopefully whatever they have in mind looks more ineresting than what the concept art showed for Disney studio Paris.

I remember someone on these boards saying that it would be the first land that actually didn't contain acres of rockwork but instead some interesting looking structures.

Also has the success of Black Panther inspired them to add something to do with that character and maybe change part of their design for the Marvel land? Bob Iger recently said when asked about a balck panther attraction possibility

“No. We haven’t had a chance to build a ride, though I’m sure there are people who are working on it,” Said Iger about Black Panther attractions in the Disney Parks.

Would a Wakanda looking area be a better transition and backdrop to Carsland on the eastern side then whatever was planned?

would be great if we finally heard something more about it or is Disney stalling to see if things change with the upcoming elections and maybe rework the Eastern side to fully realize the plan they had?

GiveMeTheMusic

I would really like to see what WDI had in mind for DCA Marvel area. How much of the idea had to change when the eastern gateway was potponed? hopefully whatever they have in mind looks more ineresting than what the concept art showed for Disney studio Paris.

I remember someone on these boards saying that it would be the first land that actually didn't contain acres of rockwork but instead some interesting looking structures.

Also has the success of Black Panther inspired them to add something to do with that character and maybe change part of their design for the Marvel land? Bob Iger recently said when asked about a balck panther attraction possibility

“No. We haven’t had a chance to build a ride, though I’m sure there are people who are working on it,” Said Iger about Black Panther attractions in the Disney Parks.

Would a Wakanda looking area be a better transition and backdrop to Carsland on the eastern side then whatever was planned?

would be great if we finally heard something more about it or is Disney stalling to see if things change with the upcoming elections and maybe rework the Eastern side to fully realize the plan they had?

There isn't enough room at DCA to do justice to a Wakanda land, and if they built Wakanda in DCA, they'd REALLY need to abandon the California name for the park.

We should be very grateful that Black Panther is not available for use at WDW, or we'd almost certainly be getting a Wakanda pavilion in World Showcase.

dweezil78

There isn't enough room at DCA to do justice to a Wakanda land, and if they built Wakanda in DCA, they'd REALLY need to abandon the California name for the park.

We should be very grateful that Black Panther is not available for use at WDW, or we'd almost certainly be getting a Wakanda pavilion in World Showcase.

Don't know how valid any of the rumors are, but Jim Hill mentioned this week that execs were scoping out Wonders of Life for something Black Panther related potentially and that I guess use of Black Panther is somewhat gray area at WDW since he only appears in some artwork at IOA and not as part of an attraction. For what it's worth...

mickEblu

I still don’t understand what the eastern gateway cancellation has to do with Marvel land? Where was the bus transportation area going to move if Marvel land was built there? Can’t it still move to wherever that place was going to be?

TROR

I still don’t understand what the eastern gateway cancellation has to do with Marvel land? Where was the bus transportation area going to move if Marvel land was built there? Can’t it still move to wherever that place was going to be?
Eastern gateway was going to have a parking structure and bus drop off across Harbor Blvd. with a bridge linking the area to the Esplanade. With the bus drop off moved, the area where it currently sits would be taken over by DCA. The thing I don't understand, though, is, if Marvel land was supposed to take over the bus drop off area to the north, then why change Tower of Terror to the south? People keep saying the attraction would act as an entrance of sorts to bridge Hollywood Land and Marvel land but apparently they're on opposite sides of the park. Unless the plan was to remove the newly renovated Hyperion and popular Frozen stage show which makes no sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom