Cost of going to DW waaaay too high.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I'm interested in visiting Dollywood at some point. Could you post a link to the forum?
The most active forums I have found are on FB groups - "Dollywood Annual Passholders", "Dollywood Junkies" and "Dollywood information, pass holders and tickets". There is also a sub-forum on Redit, part of the Silver Dollary City forum. But, it has very little traffic. Dollywood also has the Dollywood Insiders, much like the planDisney group (formerly known as the Disney Parks Moms Panel). The link is available from the Plan Your Visit page of the official Dollywood site. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I have done a lot of research this past year, in preparation for a year of our annual pass in 2022.

wutisgood

Friend went to Disney with parents and fiance. 7100 for deluxe and hoppers for 6 days. No one but him does research. Rest of the party wants to roll in the parks past early entry. Thank goodness touring plans got them even on as much as they did. Lightning lane wouldn't have helped him much for the individual ones as they weren't getting up early to book and genie plus prob wouldn't have helped much either as they wouldn't be willing to go early to maximize it. Old fastpass plus would have given them more a guarantee on some times they could have agreed on in advance and would have been much better.

He will never go ever again with them with these prices especially. Maybe the mouse will finally be able to end his toxic relationship. They should have just booked five days at universal. At least there they could have gotten east transport to and from the parks where they could have moved at more of an individual pace, lounged at the hotel pools, etc. The pressure to get things done at Disney prices are just a major source of conflict. There are a lot of people like him that can afford Disney but just feel like they are ing money away unless they are with a specific group on the same page as them.

wutisgood

He didn't need to stay on property. He would have saved a bundle.

He made his choices. He knew the cost.
No it was more like he was in the minority and not the driving factor in planning the initial trip. His mom wanted this to be a big thing for the 50th and something they might not be able to do again as people get older. It might have been a disaster off site still but at least a cheaper one.

eliza61nyc

Friend went to Disney with parents and fiance. 7100 for deluxe and hoppers for 6 days. No one but him does research. Rest of the party wants to roll in the parks past early entry. Thank goodness touring plans got them even on as much as they did. Lightning lane wouldn't have helped him much for the individual ones as they weren't getting up early to book and genie plus prob wouldn't have helped much either as they wouldn't be willing to go early to maximize it. Old fastpass plus would have given them more a guarantee on some times they could have agreed on in advance and would have been much better.

He will never go ever again with them with these prices especially. Maybe the mouse will finally be able to end his toxic relationship. They should have just booked five days at universal. At least there they could have gotten east transport to and from the parks where they could have moved at more of an individual pace, lounged at the hotel pools, etc. The pressure to get things done at Disney prices are just a major source of conflict. There are a lot of people like him that can afford Disney but just feel like they are ****ing money away unless they are with a specific group on the same page as them.

Is that really an issue of high prices? listen, your first line says it all. for better or worse depending on how you feel about it Disney is not a place where you can "wing" it.
lol I think that situation is more under the banner of " Choose wisely who you go to Disney with". I too have tried to go with family members (siblings) who want to get to the parks at noon (during christmas no less) don't want to make dining reservations etc, and there is nothing wrong with that type of vacationing but Disney is not the place to go. lol truthfully vacationing with extended family can be treacherous anywhere, I try to avoid it at all cost

wutisgood

Is that really an issue of high prices? listen, your first line says it all. for better or worse depending on how you feel about it Disney is not a place where you can "wing" it.
lol I think that situation is more under the banner of " Choose wisely who you go to Disney with". I too have tried to go with family members (siblings) who want to get to the parks at noon (during christmas no less) don't want to make dining reservations etc, and there is nothing wrong with that type of vacationing but Disney is not the place to go. lol truthfully vacationing with extended family can be treacherous anywhere, I try to avoid it at all cost
I think much of the issue is with the fastpass system many peoples vacations were much more manageable when they went with other people who weren't the planners or were hard to get out early every single day. It now requires a more focused group effort to work within the new system. Disney has created more stress points for groups to fight over. And yes it is partially an issue of costs. For more money than ever there are less guarantees and less benefits that make the trip easier like extra magic hours and soon lack of magical express.

BeentoallDParks

To be fair, labeling people with lifestyles other than your own as backward and non-concreted land as not holding value isn't very nice.
When Walt Disney chose the Orlando area for the location of WDW, African-American women were still being forced to give birth in the boiler room of the main city hospital. The maternity ward was for white women. So yeah, I think the facts of history might back this one up.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
When Walt Disney chose the Orlando area for the location of WDW, African-American women were still being forced to give birth in the boiler room of the main city hospital. The maternity ward was for white women. So yeah, I think the facts of history might back this one up.
When Walt chose the Orlando area, there weren't many hospitals at all, there were three, the main one which is now Orlando Health was founded by Dr. J. B. Callahan, who just happen to have been black.

Yeah, I don't know anything about the area (my brother was born in Lakeland in 1962 and the house then didn't have any heat except an electric room heater) .

bryanfze55

I’ve gone to Disneyland annually for the last four years, and in my observation - flight, hotel (non-Disney), and transportation (rental car) have inflated at a greater rate than Disney park tickets over that time. And the Bobs have been in charge the entire time.

That doesn’t excuse Disney for raising prices without offering a superior product during that time period, but I think the point is that it’s the entire package of “being entertained” that has spiraled out of control in the developed world. And everyone - from Marriott to Disney to Ticketmaster to your Airbnb host to Mom n Pop Cake Shop - know we’ll pay the prices. Wasn’t always the case, but now we pay whatever price to feel like we are keeping up with the Joneses. That used to be about “stuff,” now it’s about novelty and experiences. It’s the flip side of the same coin that is materialism. When my grandparents were my age, they stayed the **** home and they liked it… and it wasn’t due to a lack of funds. There was just no sort of pressure to travel or have experiences.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

I’ve gone to Disneyland annually for the last four years, and in my observation - flight, hotel (non-Disney), and transportation (rental car) have inflated at a greater rate than Disney park tickets over that time. And the Bobs have been in charge the entire time.

That doesn’t excuse Disney for raising prices without offering a superior product during that time period, but I think the point is that it’s the entire package of “being entertained” that has spiraled out of control in the developed world. And everyone - from Marriott to Disney to Ticketmaster to your Airbnb host to Mom n Pop Cake Shop - know we’ll pay the prices. Wasn’t always the case, but now we pay whatever price to feel like we are keeping up with the Joneses. That used to be about “stuff,” now it’s about novelty and experiences. It’s the flip side of the same coin that is materialism. When my grandparents were my age, they stayed the **** home and they liked it… and it wasn’t due to a lack of funds. There was just no sort of pressure to travel or have experiences.
??? you really think people go on vacation to keep up with the Joneses?? that's an interesting take.

donaldtoo

I blame it all on social media…!!!!! :hilarious::D:hilarious:

wutisgood

??? you really think people go on vacation to keep up with the Joneses?? that's an interesting take.
Some people absolutely are. Social media these days has made events and experiences a social status symbol more than ever. I think if it was just about the experiences people would be a lot more angry about paying so much for disney products and being so limited in what they can do.

As far as other prices in anaheim going up more than Disney prices I don't agree. There are plenty of decent budget food and lodging options in walking distance. Transit has always been a pain and not super cheap from lax. Disneyland tickets however have nowhere near the discounts they used to have for multi day tickets and the one day prices have exploded with variable pricing.

Benjamin_Nicholas

Of course they do. That's basically all of social media. Happens ALL THE TIME. It's basically a gigantic d-measuring contest.

However, I wouldn't consider Disney a true 'Joneses' vacation. Not at all, really.

I find more intrinsic curiosity in those who post from truly exclusive, private places. Examples might include the interior of a BBJ, an Aman property or a well-equipped yacht rental.

Skibum1970

I kind of doubt that it's keeping up with the Joneses. I know some Joneses and they have never gone.

I do think that going to Disney World became kind of a mix of rite of passage as well as people genuinely liking Disney (ex. Movies, cartoons, whatever). I booked Riverside for early next year at just under $300/night and I keep watching for any discounted room rates upcoming (does not seem likely). The problem for us is that we want to go somewhere warm in January or February and WDW offers a one-stop shop with decent temperatures likely. How long until we start looking at other possibilities? I don't know. I do know that I am looking forward to going because I do like Disney even if I hate Genie and LL implementations (just based on what I've read and not practical knowledge).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom