Cost of going to DW waaaay too high.

cookiee_munster

I remember my family trip (and last WDW trip) in 2001. Coming home, we pulled up on the driveway and my mom said that all we'd be eating was beans on toast for a very long time. I asked was it really expensive? And my mom turned to me and said we could have brought a brand-new car... a very fancy brand-new car. Shortly after that, my parents divorced. 🤣🤣🤣

But we had a really good time! lol

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I wonder if that’s $150 when adjusted for inflation? :joyfull:
For a little perspective, that ticket book was from around 1975.

The minimum wage at that time was around $2.10. The current minimum wage goes as low as $7.25.

That ticket book cost $5.50. The current one-park ticket price is over $100.

In rough numbers, you would have to work 1/2 a day for a day at MK in 1975. In 2021 you would need to work 1/2 a week.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
For a little perspective, that ticket book was from around 1975.

The minimum wage at that time was around $2.10. The current minimum wage goes as low as $7.25.

That ticket book cost $5.50. The current one-park ticket price is over $100.

In rough numbers, you would have to work 1/2 a day for a day at MK in 1975. In 2021 you would need to work 1/2 a week.

It depends on your profession, circumstances, and where you live on what price point is affordable so there are many different perspectives and they change over a lifetime. There is not a ubiquitous "you" that represents all strata of society and all geographic locations. What once was possible becomes aspirational for some while it becomes inconsequential for others. Yes there are plenty of other diversions for lesser price points, enjoy them.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
To be fair, labeling people with lifestyles other than your own as backward and non-concreted land as not holding value isn't very nice.
You mean the pre-explosion boom residents of the city I grew up in and spent half of my life in?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It depends on your profession, circumstances, and where you live on what price point is affordable so there are many different perspectives and they change over a lifetime. There is not a ubiquitous "you" that represents all strata of society and all geographic locations. What once was possible becomes aspirational for some while it becomes inconsequential for others. Yes there are plenty of other diversions for lesser price points, enjoy them.
It was a quick example to illustrate a point. It was not meant to cover the entire population of the known universe.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Bird Popcorn GIF

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It was a quick example to illustrate a point. It was not meant to cover the entire population of the known universe.

It illustrates a point, but not all points or situations. I'm sure that living in a high-cost location with a required long-distance journey to Orlando presents a different economic paradigm than a closer, less expensive one. Choices have costs.

Disstevefan1

So long as massive mobs of people keep paying it, it is not too high.

One could argue, the prices are too low if the demand is that high.

You don't want to know what I am about to pay for a stay at the Starcruiser. :p

Yes, I was able to get reservations. :D
Congratulations @jloucks !
Guests like @jloucks is the future of the disney parks.
For the rest, your attendance is no longer wanted or needed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It illustrates a point, but not all points or situations. I'm sure that living in a high-cost location with a required long-distance journey to Orlando presents a different economic paradigm than a closer, less expensive one. Choices have costs.
Next time I will make sure to create a spreadsheet that details the cost differential in a WDW trip for a local resident, a retail worker in Blagoveshchensk, and everyone in between.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Downtown Orlando was a small southern city - the part where the parks were build and immediately surrounding them was very much a backwater.

Ok so I can determine that it didn't have the infrastructure, opportunities, or lifestyle you wanted, thus backwards.

eliza61nyc

Parking was 50 cents in 1972 when I went
"Ticket prices have risen more than 3,000% over Walt Disney World's history. When the Magic Kingdom first greeted guests in 1971, the cost to enter the theme park was $3.50 for adults, and $1 for children. In 2021 dollars, that would equate to roughly $24 and $6.75, adjusting for the rate of inflation.Oct 1, 2021"
D ticket rides were 75 cents and E ticket rides were 90 cents

Disney greed
Lol, I must have misses the class in business that a company is required to make its product available at a price point everyone is comfortable with.

Entitled mindset
If I can't afford it =company is greedy
If everyone can afford it=company is cheap.

Okay so for the sake of arguments let's say the company is greedy. Is there some business amendment that says a company is not allowed to charge what the market can bare (lol or is it bear)?

I don't care so much about Disney, as a former small business owner and many family members who own businesses I simply reject this attitude that anyone has to make their product affordable for anyone.

If Disney prices itself out of the market, it will know it real quick

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom