Cost of going to DW waaaay too high.

wutisgood

I have to ask do you like coasters much? Hershey park has some the best in the country
I have been to hershey a lot and I think it might be one of the most overrated parks in america. The standout coasters at cedar point and even six flags great adventure crush their offerings. I would even rather spend a day at kennywood or knoebels because their best rides beat what hershey has. Those parks have better top tier rides. Hershey has quantity over quality. It's like if cedar point tried to win the top coaster count award over six flags but then shortened all of them last minute to save money. Magic mountain has the count but do people really want to go there over cedar point?

Benjamin_Nicholas

Pay for a ticket, $25 for parking and then wait up to 2 hours to get into an attraction, unless, you want to pay another $15 for a fast pass for 2 attractions! What a way to drive people away! This is NOT what Walt had in mind.

So, is this the weekly 'a nickel ain't worth a dime anymore' post or have I missed the other 80?

Raxel7851

I live 5 hours away in another country and usually go there multiple times a summer. There is theming at Cedar Point. They have frontier town and a Western village. They have also added in the last few years a themed island with actors telling a story. They have done quite a bit to theme things. Their newest ride is a Western themed Jungle cruise ride.

I have to ask do you like coasters much? Hershey park has some the best in the country
I by no means want to diss Cedar Pointe. I think the amusement parks are more regional offerings as opposed to Disney being more of a global destination. I do enjoy coasters. The new Candymonium at Hershey is great. Cedar does have great rides with an awesome view of Lake Erie. But Kennywood and Knobels over Hershey. STOP!!!!

wutisgood

So, is this the weekly 'a nickel ain't worth a dime anymore' post or have I missed the other 80?
people used to spend tons of money on at least some guarantee they had fast pass and dining reservations worked out months in advance and then could fill in attractions using after hours. Now a lot of already high spenders can not guarantee anything at all. This is a big change.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Pay for a ticket, $25 for parking and then wait up to 2 hours to get into an attraction, unless, you want to pay another $15 for a fast pass for 2 attractions! What a way to drive people away! This is NOT what Walt had in mind.
Actually…you pay $15 for the fast pass+ lines on the second tiers that weren’t good enough to be on legacy fastpass…

…then you pay $9-24 a person for a maximum of 1 Ride each on 2 “headliners” in each park…

…minor details

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just caught up with the discussion. Folks are still trying to equate pre and post covid shutdown , cost and labor structure changes and personal valuation by price points.

The cheese has moved.

so…what say you?

Some are. I look at as Covid was the best thing to happen them. They finally got to do everything they have ever wanted to implement.
I would agree…accelerated very quickly a lot of quick buck stuff that may have taken years.

graphite1326

Another one of these. No one can tell what Walt would be doing to keep his company going during these times and in this market. No one can say what direction Walt would have taken his company over the past years since his death as businesses and competition has changed. If you cant afford it then dont go. Nothing is as affordable as it once was.
I was watching for this obvious reply. Seems someone says it on every thread like this. It only took 7 post this time.

crawale

I don't know Sir, I still think those large swaths are still there. Here's the thing, the family of mom, dad and 1.5💁‍♂️ kid has morph. Here again is marketing genius. Now we've got young married adults, no kids. Now we've got grandparents who have disposable income.
Along with the cruise industry ( 30 years ago Cruises were mainly old married and coupled) mouseworld has done great in expanding its base.

Now also another issues is while we talk about Disney greed vs years past , does the average Joe do that? They look at what is available today. Now I love all these comparisons where folks are traveling to Europe for 10 days for the price of a Disney trip. I haven't experienced that. I just made my reservation for the Jersey shore. July 23 for a week, room and board 4k AND I'm still 2 blocks from beach. Lol I went out to dinner in NYC Friday night tab was 95.00 bucks (that did include tip) pp. 1 drink, no dessert and it was Italian not a fancy steakhouse.
The families I know doing Europe are definitely kicking out 10k.
So the mindset is yes Disney is expensive EVERYTHING else is also.. of course the unknown is whether or not the compare theme park vs theme park or do they just lump vacations into one gigantic pot.

The issue here is people feel that based on there wayback experience Disney owes them a inexpensive vacation and when they don't get it we get these rants.

I think the blowback is going to be more from the perception of nickel and diming then overall expense. I really thought genie +/LL would tip the cow but it actually hasn't (Maybe too early to call). So far it's seems guest have simply factored it in.

Sorry for the long read
Have been going to Disney since 1986 but last year was the final straw. When you pay for a five star hotel and have to change your own sheets - note I did not say make your own bed which I don't mind - but we don't sleep on the same sheets for two weeks and certainly not if a child have been sick on them. I sold our DVC points after the fees spiraled and were not refunded accurately when Disney closed the hotels due to COVID. Unlike some, who will accept any decrease in quality/experience I like to get what I pay for. Next year we will stay in a suite at Universal where the hotels are actually nicer than even the five stars at Disney and the rooms are not so shabby so it is not so much the cost but the value you get for that cost.

Vegas Disney Fan

It’s all speculation…hard to claim “facts” for someone who died in 1966 almost to the day.

the most logical speculation is Disney would have crashed his company by the mid 1970s
Probably true, Walt was a massive risk taker, had he lived he probably would have invested every penny (and more) into EPCOT (the community) and bankrupted the company… or changed the way the world lives, unfortunately we’ll never know.

His dreams were big but the price tags were even bigger.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Probably true, Walt was a massive risk taker, had he lived he probably would have invested every penny (and more) into EPCOT (the community) and bankrupted the company… or changed the way the world lives, unfortunately we’ll never know.

His dreams were big but the price tags were even bigger.
Yeah…Epcot as he planned it would have busted out almost immediately and the stagflation economy of the 1970’s would have bankrupted him more quickly than our former president (who has bankrupted to unbelievable levels multiple times)

Walt’s somewhat early demise may have saved/built his mystique.

dmw

In the Parks
No
these discussions crack me up... I'm on a Dollywood forum and they are complaining about the top level season pass being too expensive for the middle class. The top pass is $304+tx and gets unlimited access to Dollywood and Splash Country, 20% discounts on lodging, food and purchases, free parking and 6 bring a friend tickets. Plus, there is a veteran discount available. Don't even get me started on the prices of season passes for pro sports. I guess the complaints are all relative... And, still, the parks (and stadiums) fill up.

SteveAZee

these discussions crack me up... I'm on a Dollywood forum and they are complaining about the top level season pass being too expensive for the middle class. The top pass is $304+tx and gets unlimited access to Dollywood and Splash Country, 20% discounts on lodging, food and purchases, free parking and 6 bring a friend tickets. Plus, there is a veteran discount available. Don't even get me started on the prices of season passes for pro sports. I guess the complaints are all relative... And, still, the parks (and stadiums) fill up.
I'm interested in visiting Dollywood at some point. Could you post a link to the forum?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom